Review the Movie You Viewed 10 (out of 10=Masterpiece)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I don't feel like writing a whole new thing about THE AMERICAN! so I'm just going to copy and paste my previously-posted thoughts from another site:

I'm not sure why this is getting a quick reputation as a capital-A Art Film, because it still hits a good number of your standard "hitman trying to retire" beats. It's certainly a more stark, meditative piece than most stories of that ilk, but I wouldn't call it inaccessible beyond the fact that it's deliberately, even mechanically-paced. But it's easy to follow and seems predictable enough while you're watching it.

Clooney, for all the star wattage he carries, only lets that sly grin poke through a couple times in the film, and it disappears just as you've noticed it. I have to say that perhaps he's become a bit underrated (and taken for granted), as the way his eyes can lose their charm so quickly to become haunted pores is not something all of our big stars are capable of. This film doesn't call for the heavy actorly lifting of Michael Clayton, but as an example of well-sketched economy it's as good as anything he's done, and a more autumnal role than the aforementioned film or last year's Up in the Air.

While the film is emotionally distant for the most part, that's mainly because the majority of the story is Clooney alone, and speaking to no one in various locales. But there are two genuine bonds that do register on the human scale: one with Paolo Bonacelli as an elderly priest, and another with a prostitute played by Violante Placido, one of the most gorgeous women I've seen on-screen in quite some time. While Clooney's character doesn't let his guard down too far with them (at first), there is poetry in the exchanges, both verbal and non-verbal.

There is a decent amount of suspense that Corbijn is able to wring from the proceedings, especially in the film's final section, where you think you know what's going to happen and then you don't even know which way is up. I'll leave it at that. The action scenes are quick and with heavy punctuation, appropriately.

The imagery is beautiful, of course, but in keeping with the film's tone much of the warmth has been sucked out, and one tends to notice lines and textures more than the softer aspects of the human and scenic geography.

A refreshing variation on an old theme.

So you clearly liked it, but it's a little vague as to how much you liked it. Do tell (your post is emotionally distant)

ANSAH ME!

angry-christian-bale-screams-shouts.jpg

I saw The American last night, I did enjoy it. It may not be a capital A Art House film, but I do think it leans more Art than main stream movie.
The film will be most enjoyed by people that like to look at the visuals. The director is a photographer, and it shows. I don't believe that there was any blue screen, or over the top effects. The chase scene involves a man in his 50s riding a Vespa, wearing no shoes, chasing down an assassin. It is believable, much better than some guy jumping off of a freeway overpass onto a 60 mile an hour moving car, without a scratch or sprain. I loved all the locations shots in a small Italian Village and the country side. Very good casting.

As I walked in a middle-aged man that had just seen the film was on his cell phone saying, "I almost walked out, there is not 100 words of dialog in the whole film."

I think some people will feel that way. If they are expecting more action like, "Out of Sight" or a Jason Bourne film or last years Taken.
This is not any of those. Also, Clooney has a big female following, this film may not satisfy them, not too charming or romantic. Men will find the casual hot sex easier to tolerate.

7/10

If people need dialogue so bad, they can go to a fucking play.

But I'm sure a lot of people will be fooled by the marketing and be disappointed. Whatever. Hard to have sympathy.

But I'm sure a lot of people will be fooled by the marketing and be disappointed. Whatever. Hard to have sympathy.

Why?

I talked to a friend today who saw it and said that he went because the trailers made it seem like more of a Bourne-type movie and he ended up hating it. That wasn't my reason for disliking the movie but I don't fault somebody from seeing the trailers and being led to believe that the film was something that it wasn't. Hell, it's clearly a means of attracting a certain audience, most of whom will probably leave unhappy.

I found the trailers to be rather shitty. Apart from a few gorgeous shots, there wasnt a whole lot to get excited about. I just assumed it was the type of movie that doesnt make for a great trailer

Well whatever the films actual flaws or merits, disliking a film mainly because you wish it were a different film is patently idiotic. Trailers can be intentionally misleading, sure. But that's marketing. And who doesn't understand that in this day and age of information saturation?

Sure it is idiotic for hating something because you thought it was something else, but bait-and-switch marketing campaigns are idiotic also, they try and trick audiences to make a quick grab for cash by selling a film as something it isn't and then ruin the film's reputation for all time with most of the moviegoing public. Like Disney marketing The Village as a horror movie, when it was more akin to a suspenseful period drama, or (and on these 2 occasions I also blame the audiences for being completely uninformed) WB not showing the fact that Sweeney Todd was a musical or completely violent, or Pan's Labyrinth as a foreign language film (granted, this is something that happens with the marketing of many foreign films, but they aren't marketed strongly to the mainstream the way Pan's Labyrinth was, even relying on 'From the director of Blade II and Hellboy'.)

Sure, they guarantee these films can cover the budget in the first few weeks, but limit the back-end profits, and overall perception of their releases.

I'll have to double feature The American with Machete to combat pretentious self-indulgence with freewheeling self-indulgence, I guess.

This is seriousy how I want to spend my Saturday. But, I love both Corbijn, and Rodriguez, obviously for very different reasons. Also, you can't help but love the work of their leading men, George Clooney, and Danny Trejo, again, for very different reasons.

In his case I don't care if he makes an 'objectively' good film ever, his movies (R rated ones ones, not kiddy ones) always entertain me in such an over the top way, with no pretension of needlessly long dialog or pretending to be original like his buddy QT. Plus, the man sure knows how to make economical entertainment, and more power to him for trying to wear even more hats on set than even Steven Soderbergh. Although, I think he's fine with direction, editing and even scoring, I think he needs to let someone else film for him, and he's better when working with a cowriter than solo.

Shame Rodriguez hasn't made a good film since... um...

I think the first Spy Kids is genuinely entertaining.

Speaking of guys who I wish would go away, I saw Lovely Bones Jackson's Dead Alive tonight. Some of the gags were inspired (the baby, "KICKING ASS FOR THE LORD" come to mind) but it was just a springboard for clever zombie deaths stretched over 90 minutes. I wouldn't have minded if it didn't so blatantly nod to the films it's inspired by (The Evil Dead and Psycho) without adding anything new besides said violence. I'm fine with excess, but it crossed over into boredom after a while.

Pending a Lord of the Rings rewatch, Jackson earns a spot in my director jail, chilling next to Sam Mendes, Rodriguez, and Ridley Scott.

No such thing.

Since when has QT ever "pretended to be original"?

To part 1, thank you. To part 2, maybe his irritating personality just causes me to lump him in with the sheepish fans of his who consistently get into arguments about how original he is, simply because they can't see his influences.

To part 2, maybe his irritating personality just causes me to lump him in with the sheepish fans of his who consistently get into arguments about how original he is, simply because they can't see his influences.

That's probably the case. If anything, I'd say there are few filmmakers who where their influences as clearly on their sleeves or whose film language is more sincerely entrenched in film iconography and fandom.

Note that I said I blamed the audience for that too, especially with Sweeney Todd because of how long it has been around, but there were still a lot of people that were out of touch on that one. And the marketing on PL had no indication of the language, again they played on the Hollywood films that GDT had directed, and there was a lot of buzz, I remember sitting in a packed theater opening night in a typical mainstream multiplex and being surrounded by people who were ridiculously pissed by it being in Spanish. Of course, most of them calmed down when you realize that you get used to subtitles and forget all about them fortunately.

You guys also forget that probably 99% of the audience is not YOU. They don't dissect movies and discuss minutiae, they don't read 10 reviews before seeing something, they probably can't name a single movie critic aside from Ebert (if that), and go to a movie on a Friday night because they want to be entertained and they saw a trailer that they liked. Word of mouth will make some movies more successful than they otherwise would have been but by and large the vast majority of the movie viewing audience are not film lovers and aren't going to devote large amounts of time to finding out everything they can about a movie before going in to see it.

Well whatever the films actual flaws or merits, disliking a film mainly because you wish it were a different film is patently idiotic.

If they made Eat, Pray, Love seem like an action movie starring Javier Bardem in the trailer and my father who thinks that Rambo is a cinematic masterpiece then goes to see it and discovers a chick flick with Julia Roberts instead, I don't think it would be patently idiotic to dislike it because he wishes that it were an action film which he a) likes and b) is willing to pay for rather than something that he'd never otherwise go to see.

But to each his own.

We can talk about dubious marketing tactics, but I've got even less sympathy for people who went to see Pan's Labyrinth thinking they were going to see a horror/fantasy film and discovered it was an OMG MEXICAN HORROR/FANTASY FILM!! What a travesty! If someone's going to get that pissed and walk out because of some subtitles than they're sub-human anyway. As you said, many soon realized it wasn't that big of a deal and wound up enjoying the movie. It's clear that the public has to be tricked into adapting to that kind of cultural exchange.

The Messenger

Too bad it didn't get nearly as much attention as The Hurt Locker; I thought this was a better movie.

(Or at least, I liked this one more, fuck if I know if it's "better" or not.)

Back
Top Bottom