Review the Movie You Viewed 10 (out of 10=Masterpiece)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Duh, that's right, thank you :). Don't know why I thought it was spelled otherwise :p.

But, yes, watching that film was eerie knowing that he died during shooting, doubly so when you factor in how his Dad died.

Mmhm. Isn't there some old legend about the family having some sort of curse or something?

Angela

Kick Ass
Fun and entertaining. Last half hour was great.

Despicable Me
Good animated fare. Several notches below Toy Story 3, but still a good take with a 6 yr old.

The American
I really enjoyed this one. It was an absolute pleasure to look at. The story was simple and almost understated; I appreciated it in contrast to the overly complicated plots of a lot of today's movies. Clooney put in a solid performance; just like the film, it was also understated, but he was able to pull it off admirably. A bit of a change from his usual fare. Despite what some others are saying, I loved the pacing. It had an almost delicate quality. This one felt like it was much closer to Corbijn than Control was (from an aesthetic and thematic point of view). It was nice to see a movie like this on the big screen. It felt out of place, but refreshingly so. The guy in the theatre with the popped collar voiced his displeasure as the credits rolled. Somehow I dont think he was the intended demographic.
Hardcore hilarious and the movie also has a heart. You’ll go limp from laughing!

8.5/10

I've seen quite a few quality films as of late. Here's the rundown...

Network - 10/10 (one of, if not THE best screenplay I've come across; also, now one of my Top 5 favorite films)
Frost/Nixon - 9/10
The Hospital - 8/10
After Hours - 9/10 (little known Scorsese film from the mid-80's, a hidden gem in the director's impressive resume)

Also been watching a short-lived dramedy titled, "Pushing Daisies." So far, I'd give it about a 9. Excellent, quirky, well-written show on a major network. No wonder it didn't last... ;)

Network is one of my all-time favorites. :up:

Pushing Dasies looked wonderful, but after a while I thought the show lost momentum....but, yeah, the production values were high, lovely to look at always.

After Hours is most definitely not my favorite of his, but I do like it a lot. That was a typical night for me growing up in NYC, Lance. Did you know that?

After Hours is most definitely not my favorite of his, but I do like it a lot. That was a typical night for me growing up in NYC, Lance. Did you know that?

You were an uncredited screenwriter were you not?

I'm actually not even in love with the film. But then I flat-out don't care for a lot of Marty's supposed 'best' works to begin with.

I'm actually not even in love with the film. But then I flat-out don't care for a lot of Marty's supposed 'best' works to begin with.

Amen to that.

Speaking of Marty, supposedly Al Pacino may be a part of his project The Irishman with De Niro. That would excellent to see him direct Pacino, and perhaps the third (or fourth if we're counting the Godfather connection) time would be the charm for Pacino/De Niro pairings since many were disappointed to realize Heat is a cat and mouse game where they barely interact (I don't have a problem with it personally) and Righteous Kill was just bad.

The American
I really enjoyed this one. It was an absolute pleasure to look at. The story was simple and almost understated; I appreciated it in contrast to the overly complicated plots of a lot of today's movies. Clooney put in a solid performance; just like the film, it was also understated, but he was able to pull it off admirably. A bit of a change from his usual fare. Despite what some others are saying, I loved the pacing. It had an almost delicate quality. This one felt like it was much closer to Corbijn than Control was (from an aesthetic and thematic point of view). It was nice to see a movie like this on the big screen. It felt out of place, but refreshingly so. The guy in the theatre with the popped collar voiced his displeasure as the credits rolled. Somehow I dont think he was the intended demographic.
Hardcore hilarious and the movie also has a heart. You’ll go limp from laughing!

8.5/10

The film was amazingly paced and the increasing levels of paranoia were so well-handled.

You were an uncredited screenwriter were you not?

raging+bull.jpg

Amen to that.

Speaking of Marty, supposedly Al Pacino may be a part of his project The Irishman with De Niro. That would excellent to see him direct Pacino, and perhaps the third (or fourth if we're counting the Godfather connection) time would be the charm for Pacino/De Niro pairings since many were disappointed to realize Heat is a cat and mouse game where they barely interact (I don't have a problem with it personally) and Righteous Kill was just bad.

Joe Pesci might be involved as well. Pacino and DeNiro are so unmotivated in their choices that the only pairing that would interest me would be under Scorsese or someone of that caliber. Wasn't Pacino supposed to be the first choice for Amsterdam in the '80s incarnation of Gangs of New York That would've been incredible.

I know he was the original choice for Jimmy in GoodFellas; thank the maker that didn't happen. Screamin' Pacino has no place in that movie.

I mean, good for them and all, but I'd rather see Scorsese do Silence or the Teddy Roosevelt biopic first. This is going to feel like been-there-done-that no matter how good it is.

I mean, good for them and all, but I'd rather see Scorsese do Silence or the Teddy Roosevelt biopic first. This is going to feel like been-there-done-that no matter how good it is.

I'm with you. It's the 8 1/2-esque second film that entices me.

I thought their was an article around the time they were starting Hugo Cabret that said he was doing Silence and then The Irishman?? I don't remember the source and of course things change so easily, and he could always be lured into the easy money-maker of the Sinatra pick, which knowing Scorsese would focus on the mob angle :wink:. But yeah, I wanted to see the Roosevelt project as well.

Was Scorsese also the one linked to the Wolf of Wall Street originally? Now its in Ridley Scott's ridiculously huge inbox of supposed projects, but I'm just wondering.

Also Lance, what did you mean by De Niro and Pacino being unmotivated in their choices? Their collaborations or their individual careers? Individually I'll give you De Niro, but at least Pacino has some great performances in the past 10 years with the Insomnia remake, Angels in America and You Don't Know Jack.

Just watched Heathers for the first time: so fucked up, so fucking awesome.

"If you were happy every day of your life you wouldn't be human, you'd be a game show host."

Today's haul from Amoeba:

Code Unknown (Region 2 DVD with Haneke interview & documentary)
Triplets of Bellville (French edition with some good extras)
Oldboy
Pennies From Heaven (U.S. feature version w/ Steve Martin)

All for $5 each. Not bad.

The Ghost Writer - 9/10 (I expected to enjoy it, but not as much as I did; the cinematography is just amazing and the story incredibly engrossing... might just rewatch it again tonight!)

Easy A - 8.5/10 (While I preferred to have seen "The Town" tonight, my gf coaxed me into this alternative... and how pleasantly surprised I was! I've seen my fair share of teen comedies, kinda to the point where there really must be something truly special about them to merit a recommendation, but this one definitely stands above the rest in terms of overall quality. Emma Stone is scintillating as protagonist, Olive... much less grating than Juno (sorry, that film just didn't do it for me). It's sort of the "Mean Girls" of the new decade, only better. Lindsay Lohan may be on a slippery slope downhill, but I'm glad we have Emma Stone).

Back
Top Bottom