Review the movie you just viewed (all the way to) 11

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Pirates 4 - A complete waste of time. Even worse than number 3 (which I didn't think was possible.) Storyline just not followable at all, funny bits were few and far, and not really laughable at all. Johnny Depp still did a good job with Capn' Jack, but how hard is it to waltz around screen half drunk all the time?

I thought it was better than 3, not as good as 1, about the same as 2.

Ian McShane classes up the screen when ever he is on, and that mermaid actress is really a looker.

potc4_photo_02.jpg

disney-pirates1.jpg

Ashley, I can't play "King of Pride Rock" without getting all misty eyed. Helluva score.

so that's now two things we disagree on. i'm starting to get worried!

I kind of exaggerated, there's pretty much no way I'm not going to see it with one of my mates at some point. ;) The first one was a reliable romp, not much else IMO.

Ashley, I can't play "King of Pride Rock" without getting all misty eyed. Helluva score.

I wish the soundtrack were split into two separate releases so I don't have to deal with Elton/Cast recordings when I just want sweet score goodness.

Definitely one of my favorites.

I saw Soul Surfer today. It's a 10. I love inspiring movies about courage and grit in times of trouble, and this one definitely fits the bill.

It's a lot of fun, but it doesn't really have the weight of some of the masterpieces.

The last exchange between Woody and Keaton ("You take away the fake tan...") is one of my favorites in all his works. And that scene where he's operating the tape player during the phone call is classic slapstick Allen.

It might have been the most effectively humorous of his works for me, so that certainly gives it a boost. I also thought the seamless formal and thematic commingling of the genre material with the personal relationship stuff was spot on. On top of that, it was possibly the most aesthetically stimulating non-B&W film of his I've seen. Winning combination. Hannah and her Sisters and Stardust Memories are very close runners up still.

Difficult to choose the "funniest" Woody, but I think Manhattan Murder Mystery is a worthy pick. But yeah, overall I don't think it's on the same level as his masterpieces.

Annie Hall is by far my personal favorite, and contains my favorite Woody scene (the one at the line in the movie theater). "Well, that's funny, because I happen to have Mr. McLuhan right here"

You're saying that my own fallacy is wrong.

Love and Death is my favorite comedy of his, narrowly above Sleeper and Take the Money and Run.

One of my close friends:

X-Men: First Class is the silliest, dumbest, least subtle movie ever. It rushes forward with the content of two or three films, revealing the simplistic and melodramatic arcs in all their clumsy glory. I laughed for about 2 minutes after, I kid you not, Bacon says something about mutants possibly being "enslaved" and Vaughn cuts immediately to the black guy in the room. Vaughn is a total hack, his sense of action/spectacle formalism rote at best. One could sense a legitimacy and caring behind the outsider angst of Singer's films, here it's merely checked off the list. Probably the shoddiest recreation of the 60s. There's even a Gnarls Barkley song in there, diegetically. At the end (incomprehensible), there's a dragonfly lady zipping around after a flying shrieking guy and spitting little bomb things...it's so utterly ludicrous. A lack of self-awareness just slays it; the closest it gets, naturally, is fanboy winking/pandering, and it has the worst case of that I've seen. Just eye-rollingly terrible stuff. And boring as shit.

Probably won't even bother with this one.

:shrug: you let one friend's opinion steer you away from a movie that has had overwhelmingly positive reactions? I could see that if it was mixed to negative, but not in this case.

I never thought it looked very good, and the popular opinion on blockbuster franchises hardly holds much water anywhere. I trust his taste. Really excited about Super 8 now though. Didn't realize it was coming out so soon.

When the popular opinion dramatically changes for a new installment, I'm assuming something was done to deserve that.

And hell yeah Super 8, that and Captain America have been my most anticipated summer blockbusters. My best friend and I are having an early Spielberg/Amblin night this weekend.

An E.T./Poltergeist double feature would kick tremendous amounts of ass.

Hannah And Her Sisters is remarkable. I realize that Manhattan has superior cinematography and Annie Hall has the classic one-liners, but I feel like Hannah is the more well-rounded, focused film of the three. I don't know if it's the lack of emphasis on Allen (who, in his limited role, provides a subtext for the picture that's both revealing and playful), but I thought the film's attention was well balanced among its cast, which brought its A-game (Caine being my favorite of the batch), and the screenplay is incredible. The soliloquies give the viewer a frame of reference for what transpires in the exchanges between the characters, which are fresh and hard-hitting, never delving into rom-com cliches. The music is killer too, nearly on par with Manhattan in that regard.

Next film I want to see from Allen is either Zelig or Purple Rose of Cairo. Haven't decided which to place higher in the Netflix queue.

If you incorporated Spielberg into an av with MJ and Macca, it'd go a long way.

Lance's friend was 100% right about First Class.

Silver lining: at least it wasn't The Black Dahlia.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom