Review the Last Movie You Viewed Part VI: Satisfying the A-R crowd

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I reckon I'll go see Let the Right One In this afternoon.

And for the record, Zack and Miri was very funny.

Indeed it is. Justin Long's extended cameo made me lose my shit, Stacey-style.

Anyone see Pride & Glory with Edward Norton and Colin Farrell? It was shelved by the studio for like a year, and didn't receive much promotion.

It's playing at the second run theatre here so I think I'm gonna check it out tomorrow.

I may check it out when it hits DVD, but aside from the Farrell/Norton pairing, it doesn't excite me too much.

It's on HBO about 5 times a day and I still haven't seen it. I'd DVR it and watch it later, but I haven't got the space, Captain.

The last sentence needs to be read in a Scottish accent for full effect.

The Good Shepherd is a brilliant movie. I think it just shot up to the top 20 movies I've ever seen, and seeing how it holds up over time, maybe top 10.

A very good film, but I felt something was missing.

And an interview with De Niro from last year revealed that the studio made him cut it down considerably. I think there's at least an extra 30 minutes that was supposed to be there.

Hopefully one day his cut will appear on DVD. It's fucking De Niro, you think he'd earned that level of respect.

Also, Pride and Glory was fucking STRONG. Not really anything new, but just a well-told tale. All the actors were great, as usual, but Jon Voight in particular blew me away. I think he's kind of taken for granted these days.

The Good Shepherd was one of the most mediocre over-long uninteresting films I'd seen in a long time.

Yes, but as you know, removing stuff from a film can actually make it feel longer, as well as leaving it uninteresting.

I'd still like to see a director's cut before passing judgement, though I doubt Damon will be any more engaging.

If there's a director's cut out there somewhere I'd be willing to give it another shot. But as for what I saw in theaters originally... meh.

BE CAREFUL.

travis-mohawk.jpeg

Transsiberian. 8/10.

I don't really know what to say. I liked it well enough. Pretty dark movie and a bit of a gross torture scene in it for those who don't like that sort of thing. I would have liked it better if it the plot weren't so predictable.

Hi Anitram,

we seem to agree on movies

I am not a big fan of torture, at least the scene did not last too very long, and had a dramatic purpose.

if anyone has an art house theater within driving distance

Transsiberian 8/ 10

Brad Anderson is probably the best unknown director working today. He's the independent Christopher Nolan, often making character-driven, psychologically complex flicks that transcend the trappings of their respective genres. In the past he has successfully combined elements from time-travel thrillers and romantic comedies in 2000's "Happy Accidents", delivered a taut "Shining"-esque thriller in 2001's "Session 9" and then provided a stirring Hitchcock homage with 2004's "The Machinist" (which also featured a gonzo performance from Christian Bale). With "Transsiberian" Anderson attempts to breath life back into the often forgotten train-based thriller. Like those three earlier films, "Transsiberian" was made on the cheap, yet still manages to feature great camera-work and well known faces headlining the cast. In terms of the logistics of the location shooting in Lithuania (doubling as Siberia), this arrives as Anderson's most accomplished film from a technical standpoint.

The story starts off with an American couple (a workmanlike Woody Harrelson and a criminally underrated Emily Mortimer) returning from missionary work in China by route of the famous Transsiberian railroad. Once on board the train, they befriend a young couple (Kata Mara and Eduardo Noriega) who claim to be student-teachers returning from Japan but might be hiding something sinister. The screenplay does a good job of building up to "something" and developing the characters, especially Mortimer's Jessie, delving into her past with expository dialog that makes you care about where these characters are headed and think deeply about their motives. Without giving away too much of the film, entanglements ensue as a drug smuggling operation comes to light, and in steps Ben Kingsley (excellent as a Russian bruiser) as a narcotics detective with a special interest in the case.

(stolen from imdb. because he said it better than I would)

I just got Transsiberian in the mail and is one of the movies I'm taking to my friend's house in CO for the holiday. Thanks for the torture scene warning. Maybe I'll get a snack during that scene. :uhoh:

the good shepherd was one of the most boring things i've ever seen. i'm still not too sure i saw the whole thing, but rather i think i slid into a coma somewhere around a third of the way through and was lucky enough to come out of it 97538967237863786234682 hours later when the credits started rolling.

i watched american beauty today. that was a good movie. weird without being any kind of a mind-fuck. good stuff. :up:

the good shepherd was one of the most boring things i've ever seen.

I was just going to say the same thing. I actually started washing my dishes halfway through, that's how dull I thought it was.

joyfulgirl, the scene isn't too bad, I think it's more my aversion to knives that really left me bothered. You've definitely seen worse things in movies.

deep, you have good taste. :)

Mongol

Excellent. It moved at a steady pace, straight storyline, nothing going off the tracks. Great acting, even though I paid more attention to the subtitles. And I am a sucker for historical flicks, but even if I wasn't, I still would've loved this movie. I highly recommend it if you like history, foreign films, good fight scenes and a love story.

9/10

the good shepherd was one of the most boring things i've ever seen. i'm still not too sure i saw the whole thing, but rather i think i slid into a coma somewhere around a third of the way through and was lucky enough to come out of it 97538967237863786234682 hours later when the credits started rolling.

I fell asleep watching this in a hotel but the next night I tried it again and got into it. Maybe you have to be trapped in a hotel room during a weekend business trip with nothing else on TV to get through it? I did, in the end, sort of like it.

I saw Three and Out, starring Colm Meaney and McKenzie Crook.

This movie has been critized because of it's content, and never did good at the cimema, I hear - but I actually enjoyed it, and rate it 8 out of 10, and I actually was suprised by the twist at the end. :up:

yes the plot is a bit simple, I mean, not a lot to it...but Colm and McKenzie do carry this movie through, even if there was no love interest for McKen, it would have still worked. but I guess, we have to see him happy. :D:wink:

actually this is the first time I see McKenzie as a gorgeous lookin fella, OMG, so cute in this. better lookin that Brad Pitt! :up:

The Swimming Pool - slow moving, set in France, someone got murdered. Literally my perfect film. Although some of it was a bit too graphic, wasn't a fan of the scenes involving the girl, Julie, having sex with the almost-elderly Fester Addams-esque bloke.

i watched american beauty today. that was a good movie. weird without being any kind of a mind-fuck. good stuff. :up:

i liked the good shepherd, but it wasn't as good as i expected it to be. at the time i didn't think it was that long, but i've only seen it through once, and there's no way in hell i could sit through it on HBO.

american beauty, however, is one of my favourites. i thought it was extremely mind-fuck: one of the trippiest movies i've ever seen. kevin spacey :up:

i saw slumdog millionaire this past weekend, i thought it was really great, but as much as i liked it, i know it could have been better, i just can't say how. the end credits cracked me up, as did a few parts of the film. how gorgeous was that girl? :drool:

Australia

7/10

I saw it Friday night, the theater was really full.
There were some applause at the end.

I won't review this as a film buff that enjoys art house films and the foreign language films.
What it is. is a film for the general public. And they are liking it.
The cinematography is reason enough to see it on the big screen.
Also, the western part of it works well.
Kidman is fine, not as bad as some of the stuff I have been hearing.
and that guy that was in X-Men is pretty good.

So buy some popcorn and enjoy a movie.
This may be the best we get for an 'epic' these days.

(this was much, much better than that last Indy Jones crap)

anyone see Milk ? thoughts?
i tried to watch it on friday but stupid me didn't get there till about 10 minutes before starting time and it was sold out (only one small theater has it). bummer, i am looking forward to this , g.van sant can be excellent at times and total crap at others, hopefully this won't fall in the last category. the cast is also quite intriguing, also i am quite the sean penn fan :angry:

I'd love to see it when it goes wide. I've got a free ticket to an AMC theater and need to spend it on something.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom