return of the king

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
oh you luck americans!!
aussies have to wait till boxing day! (atleast i think), and most of melbourne has too choose bettween the Boxing Day Cricket test or staying up till about 4AM, this year i would choose 4AM , cause i cant get to the boxing day test

I just saw it!

It was amazing! :applaud:
Everyone in the audience really got into it, the battle scenes were great, Frodo getting rid of the ring was so intense, oh it was a great movie!

I'm definitely going to see this again soon...

Diemen said:
melon, I honestly don't see how you can stick LOTR in the same bucket with Indiana Jones and Star Wars. It is far above the others in terms of attention to detail, acting, compelling storyline and overall spit and polish. Rent the extended edition dvds and you'll see just how much time, attention, dedication and love went into these films. As much as I love Star Wars and Indiana Jones, to me they're cheesy B movies in comparison to LOTR.

But that's just me. :D

It's not just you. Granted, I'm a huge fan of the Indiana Jones saga, and I enjoyed Star Wars. But LOTR is just better. Effects, storyline, etc. In the LOTR trilogy I actually care about the characters, their fates, etc. I never really felt that with other trilogies, and it's rare with other films. Maybe it's because we see the same characters for so long...we follow their every step on their journeys....maybe it's because the entire message of the story is altruism, to stand up for what you believe in, etc. Whatever it is, it does strike a chord.

As far as Oscars, I don't think ROTK can stand on its own...it's the third segment in a trilogy and that's how it stands. You need to go in having seen the previous two. As far as it rates as a film = utterly fantastic. Peter Jackson continually amazes me with each film. Not only is the sotryline better, but the effects....the war scenes :heart:

I think the magic of LOTR is that it has something for everyone. War, blood, killing, families, romance, etc. It's epic.

I went last night. It was cool :)

Like I said earlier in this thread, I'm not a huge LOTR fan, but I thought Return of the King was pretty bloody impressive. :yes:

Very long though. My bad knee gave out on me when I tried to stand up at the end :laugh:

Saw it last night, and I concurr with what Diemen said. This is such a huge work with such a huge particular fan base and Peter Jackson pulled it off! Amazing, cant wait to see it again.

shame on you who upbraided this movie

it was simply amazing and so much more than a friggin blockbuster movie.
I can't even begin to say whats wrong with that statement

in fact...I can't say anything cos I'll get all exited and I'll write 3 pages

the emotion of the frodo/sam story alone is incredible

hi and bye

Saying this movie can't be great cause it's a "blockbuster" is like saying U2's next record can't be great because they're superstars.

I liked it alot...I need to see it again before I make a total judgement. I thought some of it was a bit weaker than it should have been--I didn't feel the urgency before the Black Gate I felt when I read the books. And I thought the ending felt rushed.

But the scene in Mount Doom was all I could have hoped for.

And the Aragorn and Arwen stuff... :heart:

Frodo and Sam. :sad: The ending made me cry.

I agree about LOTR being more than a blockbuster--To me, the attention to detail, acting, story...makes it in the tradition of an epic. I don't consider it less of an achievement than "Lawrence of Arabia." :shrug:

Last edited:
I was really hoping that the the voice of sauron would come out and meet them with Frodos clothes at the black gate. that was the thing that always got me in the books

still....what they did with Aragorns surreal moment was great. how he said "for frodo" and started riding off alone....it really conveyed the sense of desperation

they did cast the mouth of sauron....maybe they cut it from the theatrical version

Basstrap said:
I was really hoping that the the voice of sauron would come out and meet them with Frodos clothes at the black gate. that was the thing that always got me in the books

still....what they did with Aragorns surreal moment was great. how he said "for frodo" and started riding off alone....it really conveyed the sense of desperation

they did cast the mouth of sauron....maybe they cut it from the theatrical version

Yeah, I wanted to see that too!

I also wanted to see Aragorn reveal himself to Sauron in the palantir. I have a suspicion that perhaps the palantir-palantir-catch-the-palantir scene may be extended...or maybe that's just a hopeless wish. :wink:

Oooh, I did like that "for Frodo" part...I spaced it, see, my fever was obviously raging high by that point. :(

**cass stands in the queue with the other Aussies**
but not on opening night/day, we've decided to wait. We went to the local premiere for TTT and found it much too crowded, too much ambient noise from that many people and it made the theatre feel stuffy. It is such a precious thing to us, we want to see it in the best circumstances.
It's like any good book..I don't want it to end.
I've just read Page 3 of this post and what you have said has got me so excited....
especially
"Frodo and Sam. The ending made me cry."
and "it really conveyed the sense of desperation"
JRR Tolkien was such a brilliant person. If you have kids, try to find them his book "Letters To Father Christmas", it's a treasure.
This book shall always remain the one that gave my children the thirst for literature. My middle son just got an award for achievement in Year 12 English**proud mum**He started writing incredible adventure sagas when he was very young. I know we can thank Tolkien for that.

We've waited until the third movie was released( hasn't it made 3 years seem to go by quickly...well 2 really) We wamt to wait and buy the ultimate collectors DVD set of the 3 movies.

Thnak you Peter Jackson, the set and costumer makers, NZ and THE CAST, for doing such a great job with something I hold so dear.

ohhhhhhhhhhhhhh , I'm looking forward to this...I'll take a big box of tissues for this one.
Samwise Gamgee:heart:...all :heart:

AvsGirl41 said:

Yeah, I wanted to see that too!

I also wanted to see Aragorn reveal himself to Sauron in the palantir. I have a suspicion that perhaps the palantir-palantir-catch-the-palantir scene may be extended...or maybe that's just a hopeless wish. :wink:

Oooh, I did like that "for Frodo" part...I spaced it, see, my fever was obviously raging high by that point. :(

I feel the same way about the Palantir scene and the balck gate sequence. I also think they will show more about Eowyn and Faramir in the extended cut.
I was surprised we didnt see Saruman at all, not at the beginning, nor at the end, as he is in the books.

melon said:
This movie is not spectacular, nor does it deserve to be called amongst the best films of all time. It is a straightforward Hollywood blockbuster film, in a similar vein to the "Star Wars" saga. There is really nothing wrong with that; "Star Wars" is certainly a memorable crowd pleaser, but it is still even to be determined as to whether these films will be remembered in 20 years like "Star Wars" or "The Godfather," or it will be yet just another polished trilogy to placate our immediate sense of instant gratification.

I tend to believe that this will turn into another "Star Trek"--a trilogy of films that are remembered and held in high esteem by a group of cult fans, while the rest shake their heads in response. Again, there is certainly nothing wrong with that.

But it will win a lot of awards. Awards ceremonies know well enough to grant lots of awards to films that make the industry a lot of money.

Melon

What a load of rubbish...these movies are instant classics, deal with it.:)

Whats The Story? said:
What a load of rubbish...these movies are instant classics, deal with it.:)

Thus saith the Lord. :rolleyes:

What these films need are time. Only time will determine whether these films are still beloved by all or a cultish few when future films seasons pass through. There are no such things as "instant classics."

Melon

MrBrau1 said:
The hipsters, along with the hippies, must stop breathing.

If critics merely judged a film based on popularity, then criticism would mean nothing. I haven't criticized the film merely because it is popular. I've criticized it merely because I don't see it anything that different from the standard Hollywood formula.

But that's me and you all are you. I'm glad you all have enjoyed a film. Perhaps I'm in the wrong thread to discuss this film at a critical level (so I apologize for appearing negative, when that really wasn't my intention), so I'm going to leave it at that.

Enjoy and take care...

Melon

Last edited:
Yes, I don't think melon is delivering a discourse in a pejorative way... his point is merely exploring how the movies will fit into the cultural canon, beyond the first box office numbers.

It's a valid point, although not in concert with the direction of this thread. Doesn't mean a guy should get pissed on for expressing a critical view on a movie with such massive appeal.

However, I think it is still possible to go out and view the trilogy, and enjoy it for what it is... and then go home and ponder over its shortcomings as an instant gratifier of eye candy.

:sexywink:

i think that whether a film is remembered as being very good years after it was made doesn't necessarily have to do with quality. it's certainly one of many indicators, and will definitely convince most people, but it's not the be all and end all.

as far as rotk goes.. I thought it was spectacular, and wonderful, and it totally fulfilled all my expectations. a grand epic the sort of which we rarely rarely see.

bonosgirl84 said:
i just got home from the midnight show.

i'm speechless. it was incredible. best battle scenes ever. :up:

i would have to say eowyn kicked major ass.

Elvis Presley said:

I feel the same way about the Palantir scene and the balck gate sequence. I also think they will show more about Eowyn and Faramir in the extended cut.
I was surprised we didnt see Saruman at all, not at the beginning, nor at the end, as he is in the books.

I was just waiting...and hoping that the voice would come out....kind of dissapointing, but should be in the Extended..I hope. Saruman WILL be in the extended dvd, Peter Jackson said so already. Since Eowyn was so chummy with Faramir you can almost count on more of that in the dvd.

I still think they shoudl have added another hour on to it and shown the whole Hobbits taking back the shire from the end of the book...that would have ruled!

joyfulgirl said:

Also on http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/TheLordoftheRingsTheReturnoftheKing-1127213/

Out of 142 reviews from around the country, only 3 bad ones.

:yes: I always check that site too!!

Did you read any of the negative reviews? I was reading through one of the negative reviews though and one stands out in my mind. In it, the reviewer referred to Pippin as a "dumbass" (yes, that's right, in a national professional publication she refers to one of the characters as a dumbass), and other characters as idiots, morons, etc. Someone wrote in to tell her, granted, she may not have enjoyed the film, but she could have at least written a decent review :rolleyes: She seemed more caught up with her hatred for the story (why did Pippin have to grab Saurmon's crystal ball) than the film itself.

Another thing I found interesting is that she absolutely killed the scene where Faramir rides off to war while Pippin sings, which is juxtaposed with Denethor eating. She hated it. I thought it was one of the best scenes. :shrug:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom