RED (WIRE) - Video clip of a new Christmas U2 song (11/30/08)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The link didn't work but i've listened via youtube link... and i have to say that i'm disappointed with Bono's voice.

It doesn't have any depth on it. And it's weak. The best vocals Post-AB continues to be AMAAW just for reference. The only part that its inspiring is the "i wish you a hopeful christmas...".
On the other side the guitar is plain beautiful! The chimming efect is creamy and ethereal as it was in JT. And there is a delicacy in the production. The way larry hit sthe drums has the refinement of Eno/Lanois production. And that was absent in HTDAAB and ATYCLB.

This gives me big hopes for the new album. Hope the studio voice is stronger and deeper...

The link didn't work but i've listened via youtube link... and i have to say that i'm disappointed with Bono's voice.

It doesn't have any depth on it. And it's weak. The best vocals Post-AB continues to be AMAAW just for reference. The only part that its inspiring is the "i wish you a hope for christmas...".
On the other side the guitar is plain beautiful! The chimming efect is creamy and ethereal as it was in JT. And there is a delicacy in the production. The way larry hit sthe drums has the refinement of Eno/Lanois production. And that was absent in HTDAAB and ATYCLB.

This gives me big hopes for the new album. Hope the studio voice is stronger and deeper...

I kind of like that he's speaking most of the lyrics until it crescendos with his restrained but at the same time powerful voice... it leaves you begging for more.

It's not bad. I love the song, but am finding it hard to get very excited about it because what I really want to hear is new new stuff, you know?

I think his voice sounds ... okay. A little tired at first, better than I had thought on the higher parts, compared to the little clip that was on the web the other day. Nothing to get so over-excited about like some folks have done earlier in the thread, that's for sure.

Still, nice to hear something from them.

It's not bad. I love the song, but am finding it hard to get very excited about it because what I really want to hear is new new stuff, you know?

I think his voice sounds ... okay. A little tired at first, better than I had thought on the higher parts, compared to the little clip that was on the web the other day. Nothing to get so over-excited about like some folks have done earlier in the thread, that's for sure.

Still, nice to hear something from them.

To be frank, I think we should be grateful for whatever we get with Bono's voice. The man's been singing as his day job for 25 + years (and probably a good portion of that without proper vocal training). . .his voice isn't going to get any better. I'm just glad he's still singing. That said, I didn't think he sounded too bad. It seems to me his vocal quality has been variable since HTDAAB came out.

U2 is getting old, as indeed we all are--the question is whether they will age gracefully, their music reflecting where they are and what their current skills and limitations.

I liked the cover (though I've never heard the original).

thanks its just an opinion. bono is out of tune for the first 30 seconds. pretty lazy - can't write an original xmas song. worse still, bono, as the main protagonist and founder of Red didn't have the decency to put an original tune on to this collection. what a crock.

hanover quay looks good though. larry looks bored out of his mind and adam looks about 90!

still looking forward to the long play record in the new year though!!!:wave::wave:

I am looking forward to the long play record as well. Merry Xmas scrooge...haha:wave:

Can someone please send me an MP3 of this song (patokeefe@yahoo.com)?

Thank you!

To be frank,

Hi, Frank! ;)

I think we should be grateful for whatever we get with Bono's voice. The man's been singing as his day job for 25 + years (and probably a good portion of that without proper vocal training). . .his voice isn't going to get any better. I'm just glad he's still singing. That said, I didn't think he sounded too bad.

I agree with this. My comment about his voice was more of a reaction to the earlier comments about how amazing he sounded, or whatever. I went in to watch the clip with some pretty big anticipation of some vocal prowess, and came out disappointed.

For those curious (and who didn't already search for it on YouTube themselves), this is the original (and if it's not the original original, someone please correct me; it's certainly the version I've been listening to for years):

YouTube - Father Christmas - Emerson Lake & Palmer

mp3 sent to the last two requests - james and pat.

Hi, Frank! ;)

I agree with this. My comment about his voice was more of a reaction to the earlier comments about how amazing he sounded, or whatever. I went in to watch the clip with some pretty big anticipation of some vocal prowess, and came out disappointed.

For those curious (and who didn't already search for it on YouTube themselves), this is the original (and if it's not the original original, someone please correct me; it's certainly the version I've been listening to for years):

YouTube - Father Christmas - Emerson Lake & Palmer

THIS IS THE ORIGINAL VIDEO FROM GREG LAKE (EMERSON, LAKE, AND PALMER):

YouTube - I Believe in Father Christmas - Greg Lake (HQ Audio)

I LOVE WHAT U2 DID WITH IT, THE GREAT THING FOR ME IS EDGE'S GUITAR, END THE MINIMALIST SENSE IN IT. AMAZING, MERRY CHRISTMAS TO ALL !!!

Ha! I almost posted that video, but thought the audio was kind of crummy. I thought the one I posted was the same version ... can I just blame the crummy audio for my mistake? ;)

ps:

WHAT'S WITH ALL THE SHOUTING?!

To be frank, I think we should be grateful for whatever we get with Bono's voice. The man's been singing as his day job for 25 + years (and probably a good portion of that without proper vocal training). . .his voice isn't going to get any better. I'm just glad he's still singing. That said, I didn't think he sounded too bad. It seems to me his vocal quality has been variable since HTDAAB came out.

U2 is getting old, as indeed we all are--the question is whether they will age gracefully, their music reflecting where they are and what their current skills and limitations.

I liked the cover (though I've never heard the original).

A couple quick points:

1. What I'm truly grateful for: Family, Great Friends, Vodka, Dark Chocolate, Stinky Cheese and Electric Toothbrushes...notice that no where in there is "anything about poor Bono vocal performances. :wink: Sorry but I'd rather have no Bono then bad Bono.

2. Even if you heard the original cover you still wouldn't like the U2 cover...you might actually hate it even more. Just a poor song..period.

3. This is the type of song that will divide the U2 faithful....some will gush over it because its new and everything new that U2 does is the greatest thing since the electric toothbrush and others will bash it because its a Christmas song. I'd like to think that I don't like it because its a bad Christmas song cover. I'd hate it if Jesus himself were singing it with Peter and Paul on background vocals (if it had any) So I think that puts me somewhere towards the left of something?

2. Even if you heard the original cover you still wouldn't like the U2 cover...you might actually hate it even more. Just a poor song..period.
ORly.gif

great song...loved the vocals and the guitar

did they just tell adam to hold his guitar and look interested?

A couple quick points:

1. What I'm truly grateful for: Family, Great Friends, Vodka, Dark Chocolate, Stinky Cheese and Electric Toothbrushes...notice that no where in there is "anything about poor Bono vocal performances. :wink: Sorry but I'd rather have no Bono then bad Bono.

3. This is the type of song that will divide the U2 faithful....some will gush over it because its new and everything new that U2 does is the greatest thing since the electric toothbrush and others will bash it because its a Christmas song. I'd like to think that I don't like it because its a bad Christmas song cover. I'd hate it if Jesus himself were singing it with Peter and Paul on background vocals (if it had any) So I think that puts me somewhere towards the left of something?

There's no original cover of the song, it was written by Greg Lake who was a member of Emerson Lake and Palmer.

And really, it wont divide the U2 faithful because the U2 faithful will like everything that U2 does anyway, thats why they're the U2 faithful. There's just the cynical and jaded that really don't like anything U2 have done since POP and will dismiss anything new regardless. And people that like something or dislike something will always clash because subjectivity is just something that's worth arguing about I suppose.

It's a Christmas song...it's not supposed to be "groundbreaking". They took time out of the mixing of the new album in order to record something to entice people to come and check out (RED)Wire, anyone who was expecting a new single or anything was setting themselves up for disappointment. Honestly, if U2 are going to release a new song off of the record, they're going to make it a big deal, it WILL be everywhere. Why? Because it's U2, the greatest and biggest band on the face of the Earth, they wouldn't release it through a new site that has little publicity (as of now). However, with releasing this, the U2 machine has indeed started up again, and within the next month or so, news is going to be spilling out in everything U2-affiliated. This is a time of celebration, I think it's unfair to judge what the album is going to sound like based on this quickly-recorded Christmas song. The time is almost here, the sun is creeping up on the horizon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom