Random Music Talk XXIX: You snooze, you lose

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Which of course isn't to say anybody here shouldn't or wouldn't have 20 or 5 or a single record they particularly favor above all the other 'perfect' records.

Hey, laz. Now that it's not cool to be on the Lakers bandwagon, which NBA team will you pretend to like? Or do you need to wait to see who wins the title to know who to pull for? Holla at your boy, bro!

Bandwagon? I've liked the Lakers for over 25 years, since I was a little kid living in Chicago. I've never followed another team.

The Lakers probably have a massive amount of bandwagon fans, although not nearly as many as the Bulls had at their mid-90s height, and I wouldn't accuse Laz of being one. Alright, he kind of does that with NFL teams, but that's not what we're discussing here.

Sorry. Just too difficult, you know? Again, so many fucking records. In addition to many others, there'd be some U2, some Talking Heads, some Springsteen, some Belinda, some Floyd, some Zeppelin, and every record made by The Beatles.

No sorry needed, was just fucking with you. Agreed that it's difficult to name just 20.....but it's an interesting exercise, at least to me....

Also, don't 25-year fans bother to watch deciding games?

scratch.jpg

Sorry, though. Gotta bow out. I'm gonna watch the Bullz game, even though I can't guarantee that they're going to win!

Also, don't 25-year fans bother to watch deciding games?

Sorry I'm not as passionate (or masochistic) a fan as you'd like me to be. I don't care for basketball as a sport so I don't get much enjoyment out of the game itself as I do with baseball or football.

Plus, if Pau Gasol doesn't give a shit and isn't bothering to show up, why should anyone else?

So do we not have a dedicated Foo Fighters thread? I did a cursory search and I didn't find one.

Perhaps I'm a little slow on the uptake here, but I just discovered that "Medium Rare," the LP that was sold in the US for Record Store Day, is available on CD. It's a "free" gift when you subscribe to Q Magazine.

Unfortunately, a Q subscription to the US is £35 annually. A bit cheaper that buying at the newsstand but still pretty pricey. I may see if I can grab the CD for cheaper on eBay.

Danny Boy said:
FWIW, I've been a Lakers fan since the 80's and that loss was an embarrassment. By halftime.

I went to college in Dallas so I'll be pulling for the Mavs from here on out I guess, but I wouldn't be disappointed to see the Bulls win it either.

Where did you go?

My mate is a huge Mavs fan (actually, it's probably more accurate to say he's a Dirk fan) and says if they win the playoffs he'll fly to America and "suck his dick for a year straight". Now he's had an on-off girlfriend for the past five years, but I'm really not sure he's kidding. Me? I'm a complete bandwagoner. Don't know anything about American sports really, but it's fun to (pretend to) care. It reminds me of being in America in June/July last year, waking up in hotels, reading USA Today... damn I miss being over there sometimes.

Now, as for Led Zep, I haven't listened to them anywhere near as much as I should have, but I think I is my favourite of theirs. And IV doesn't have a bad track. And this might be blasphemous, but I think Stairway to Heaven might be the track I enjoy the least on that album, by virtue of having heard it eight trillion times on classic rock radio.

And I'm old enough to remember hooking up with some trollop from Highland Park, mere blocks away from SMU. So we've all got a connection.

I've seen 7 of the 30 for 30's at this point. Definitely want to see the SMU doc at some point.

Today I listened to nothing but The Supremes, The Four Tops and very early Stevie Wonder tunes. FYI. Just so you know.

I made a joke referencing Stevie Wonder that wasn't even at his expense when out for drinks tonight. So another connection. I'm firing on all cylinders.

Cassie, I forgot to mention that I enjoyed the OFWGKTL performance more than I figured I would. And it reminded me that I also have enjoyed any time I've heard Mos Def go at it. What's the best album of his to start with?

That's the most valiant effort I've seen tonight this side of Bennett Salvatore.

Snagged a copy of the new Thee Oh Sees record, Castlemania, from In The Red's mailorder. It's pretty fucking awesome, and features a spectacularly bad cover of this stone-cold, obnoxiously rare/expensive classic:

YouTube - Neo Maya - I Won't Hurt You

Possibly of interest to martha, impy, and a good number of other people.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom