Random Music Talk XL: Slappin' Bitches With Vik

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I liked Easy Tiger and the Follow the Lights EP. There are some great melodies and a lot of diversity on those. "I Taught Myself to Grow Old" is the best Neil Young impersonation that I have ever heard - I mean that in a positive way. Cardinology, however, was certainly a disappointment to me.

Does anyone like / know Johnny Flynn? I've heard the track, 'Kentucky Pill', on the radio a few times, and finally learned the name today. I like it a great deal, sort of has a fun throwback vibe to a type of music you don't really hear people going back to much. Anyways, here's a link to the song (I think I hate the video, so please don't judge it off of that):

Johnny Flynn - Kentucky Pill - YouTube

Just listened to Dark Side for the first time in a long while... still as amazing as ever. Any Colour You Like is one of Floyd's most underrated songs.

I'll donate to the fund to get Cobbler to stop calling himself DZA.

The aspect of my U2 fandom that brings me the most shame is my fascination with Bono's children. I'm totally in love with both of his daughters, and I find myself really hoping that one of, if not both, his boys grow up and become rock musicians. And I'll tell you why. Purely selfish reasons.

I just think it'd be really cool if, in like 15 years, I read a headline that says something along the lines of "Bono's son to release solo album."

I'd fucking buy that shit in a heartbeat. It'd be awesome. Especially if they've inherited the vocal chords from their Dad's side.

I'm weird. And I probably should have posted this in PLEBA. And I should probably lay off the prescription narcotics for a while.

The aspect of my U2 fandom that brings me the most shame is my fascination with Bono's children. I'm totally in love with both of his daughters, and I find myself really hoping that one of, if not both, his boys grow up and become rock musicians. And I'll tell you why. Purely selfish reasons.

I just think it'd be really cool if, in like 15 years, I read a headline that says something along the lines of "Bono's son to release solo album."

I'd fucking buy that shit in a heartbeat. It'd be awesome. Especially if they've inherited the vocal chords from their Dad's side.

I'm weird. And I probably should have posted this in PLEBA. And I should probably lay off the prescription narcotics for a while.

You can write some fan fiction about this idea and put that in PLEBA. :wink:

You know, there's a Shuttlecock b-side that doesn't get enough attention. I think this easily should have been on the Poppycock album, and I really dig the modern sound on this one, the little synth scream, the beat, the sad keys.

And what makes it extra powerful is that ShinedHead and Boner are playing the roles of Lance's Mom and a john/accused Lance's father suspect (respectively); you really feel the desperation of this exchange.

ShinedHead O'Cocker & Shuttlecock - It's Not My Baby

I had actually never heard that. I just was so aware of it, and see it posted about often enough, I guess I just assumed I'd heard it already. Was quite good and not at all what I was expecting. Liked it a lot.

I'm sure she is. And, if she's not, she can probably buy her way out of whatever trouble she's in. Ten times over.

iron yuppie said:
Thinking back on it, although I own a great deal of his stuff, the only album of his that I ever feel a need to listen to is Love Is Hell.

Really? Love Is Hell is far too long and sounds nothing like Ryan Adams to me. But maybe you don't care much for that classic Whiskeytown/Heartbreaker sound, I dunno. But for me, that's where the best shit is, as well as Cold Roses (which is also far too long).

I had actually never heard that. I just was so aware of it, and see it posted about often enough, I guess I just assumed I'd heard it already. Was quite good and not at all what I was expecting. Liked it a lot.

REALLY?

Have you heard North And South Of The Baseline yet? Both versions? It's even better.

Poppycock b-sides FTW. I'd put both of those and either version of Holy John on the album proper and they proudly stand with the rest.

I've heard at least one version of "North and South of the River", and I like it, but am not sure what the BIG deal is about, so maybe I just haven't heard the right version? I'm not even sure I've heard Holy Joe since I first got into U2 either. I guess just not being the world's biggest Pop fan has taken me away from the era as a whole a bit.

lazarus said:
REALLY?

Have you heard North And South Of The Baseline yet? Both versions? It's even better.

Poppycock b-sides FTW. I'd put both of those and either version of Holy John on the album proper and they proudly stand with the rest.

Yes, yes, a thousand times yes! The Omagh tribute version kicks so much ass...

I've heard at least one version of "North and South of the River", and I like it, but am not sure what the BIG deal is about, so maybe I just haven't heard the right version? I'm not even sure I've heard Holy Joe since I first got into U2 either. I guess just not being the world's biggest Pop fan has taken me away from the era as a whole a bit.

If you've only heard the studio version (which I do like a lot), you HAVE to hear this live version, which was performed not long after the Omagh bombing.

It's powerful stuff.

U2 - North and South of the River - YouTube

I honestly like both a lot.

But I do feel that the Guilty Mix fits better with the overall sound of Poppycock. Same goes for the studio version of North & South, which I prefer to almost everything on the actual album (save for Groin and Wake Up, Line Judge). And I love that album.

If you've only heard the studio version (which I do like a lot), you HAVE to hear this live version, which was performed not long after the Omagh bombing.

It's powerful stuff.

Yeah, that was great, it's a great song period. Just not a favorite of mine personally.

Really? Love Is Hell is far too long and sounds nothing like Ryan Adams to me. But maybe you don't care much for that classic Whiskeytown/Heartbreaker sound, I dunno. But for me, that's where the best shit is, as well as Cold Roses (which is also far too long).

Yeah, I have never been too keen on alt-country, or whatever one would call Whiskeytown. Love Is Hell just has some great tunes on it - Anybody Wanna Take Me Home?, I See Monsters, and Hotel Chelsea Nights are among my favorite of his songs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom