Random Music Talk XCIX - Hating on Mediocre Australian Bands with Keiran and the Gang

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Well, gang, I can not claim to have enjoyed the Neil Young album, Ragged Glory. I don't like "Rockin in the Free World" much at all and this whole album basically sounded like that track, to me.

Well, gang, I can not claim to have enjoyed the Neil Young album, Ragged Glory. I don't like "Rockin in the Free World" much at all and this whole album basically sounded like that track, to me.

I prefer Freedom to Ragged Glory, and I'm not a big fan of Rockin' either. Most of the album isn't as blunt and crunchy as that track.

Rockin' in the Free World is overplayed, but its reputation as a classic rock song is well-deserved.

I prefer Ragged Glory to Freedom. All hail Fuckin' Up.

I prefer Ragged Glory to Freedom. All hail Fuckin' Up.

:up:

Freedom is patchy as hell. Ragged Glory is Crazy Horse kicking ass for an hour straight. I mean, I guess I can fathom why someone would dislike the album. I guess.

Last edited:
I did enjoy "Fuckin' Up". In fact, I was really enjoying it for the first three, four, maybe even five tracks, but it started to feel really stale and then there was one song that was almost note for note a rehash of "...Free World" and I began to lose interest at that point.

:up:

Freedom is patchy as hell. Ragged Glory is Crazy Horse kicking ass for an hour straight. I mean, I guess I can fathom why someone would dislike the album. I guess.

I don't always come to Young for the RAWK, but when I want something from that era I'd rather listen to Weld.

Crime In the City is better than anything on Ragged, plus you have Wrecking Ball and beautiful collaborations with Linda Ronstadt on Hangin' On A Limb and The Ways Of Love.

I did enjoy "Fuckin' Up". In fact, I was really enjoying it for the first three, four, maybe even five tracks, but it started to feel really stale and then there was one song that was almost note for note a rehash of "...Free World" and I began to lose interest at that point.

This. Freedom just has a little more nuance to it that keeps things interesting.

I really love Rockin' In the Free World, but that shouldn't come as a surprise to anyone.

New Order was a lot of fun. I was close to the front for most of it, and unfortunately the sound was pretty crap up there (but at least I could see). After I got tired of the bass moving all my body hairs, I moved to the back where I couldn't see, but it sounded better.

I danced. I should have seen the Joy Division encore coming, but I didn't. At least they played all three of the JD songs I actually like. Ha.

I only have my ipad. I'll take pics with it when drive out into the countryside later this week. All Tomorrow's Parties starts Thursday, so our flight from JFK was full of musicians.

But what's funnier than someone taking pictures with an iPad?

Anyone here interested in a copy of U22 (that fan club live set from a few years back)?

If so, it's yours. PM me.

There's a Miles Davis in the making! I had no idea. Don Cheadle as Miles. Excited.

Br_VtyDCYAEWiyj.jpg

By the time it takes me to get to the 1,000 page Miles Davis biography the movie should be out. I will keep procrastinating.

Sent from my AT300 using U2 Interference mobile app

St. Fucking Vincent.

Incredible. I don't think she's from this planet.

Yep. They don't make babes so babey here on Earth.

Nope. Not watching.

How long 'til we're all on the same page that Coyne is now a complete buffoon and parody of himself?

The "Lucy in the Sky" cover is surprisingly good, and I'm actually hopeful for the Sgt. Pep cover album, but I'm definitely souring on Wayne in the wake of Kliphgate and continuing to fraternize with Miley. Appropriating pop stars worked out well in Kesha's contribution to Heady Fwends, but Miley is so inauthentic that this rubs me the wrong way.

That being said, I met Wayne at the record store in December and he was the sweetest dude ever. I've got love for the guy, but come on.

The Kesha thing really felt like those two just hit it off. This just kinda feels like him trying to do the same thing again, but what do I know. I find it hard to be irritated or mad at Wayne.

Was there actually a time where he wasn't this way?

Come on.

Nope. Not watching.

How long 'til we're all on the same page that Coyne is now a complete buffoon and parody of himself?

Even I, among the last bastion of Wayne's loyal devotees, am starting to come around to this way of thinking, having watched the video. It looks like a bunch of instagram videos cobbled together. He seems to be having a massive midlife crisis.

I agree with Imps, the Lucy cover was really good and I look forward to Sgt Pepper. To Miley's credit she does seem to be a genuine Lips fan.

Covering the entirety of Sgt. Pepper's kind of seems lame to begin with. :shrug:.

Camper Van Beethoven covering Fleetwood Mac's Tusk was a lot cooler of an idea.

I'll turn on the band when they stop releasing high quality, critically acclaimed, creative albums like Embryonic and The Terror. They have a ton of substance behind their own albums.

If they were still dropping weak, cartoonish albums like Mystics I would probably join the hate bandwagon, but their own music has actually gotten darker and weirder over the years. They're going into (for them) uncharted territory in their 50s.

The extracurricular stuff is lame, but I've done well avoiding it entirely. Heady Fwends was decent.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom