Random Music Talk LXXXVI: SCUBA Is Reporting for Duty

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Keepers from Speakerboxxx/Love Below after my first listen to the album in over 6 years:

GhettoMusick
Unhappy
Bowtie
The Way You Move
Church
Flip Flop Rock
Reset
Happy Valentine's Day
Spread
Prototype
Hey Ya
Roses
Take Off Your Cool
Vibrate
A Life in the Day of Benjamin André

Even with this track listing, it wouldn't be their best album by any stretch because the chemistry isn't there and Three Stacks' rapping >>>>>>>>>>> his singing, but it would be very strong, and both albums are quite good on their own. Collectively, I'd put it below every album before it but far above Idlewild. Those cats had a remarkable five-album run.

I'd agree with just about all of this, I think. Flip Flop Rock is a really underrated gem.

I'm of course, the most biased person to ask, but their last album was really good. Not their best, and the first that I don't actually know every song on, but it's still got a good number of songs on it I consider great.

Live, they just keep getting better and better. Love watching the stream. Glad I'm not out there in the rain seeing them for the 4th time (3rd time at a festival).

...nevermind, wtf is going on? This is them, gently telling C3 to STOP inviting them back to headline Lollapalooza. And I'm dying laughing.

If Jimmy Page and Brian May had a baby, it would look like the guitarist from the Killers

Fact.

Want to hear something sad? I can't hear When You Were Young without thinking about Rock Band and my friends sitting in front of the TV pretending to play instruments. I used to sing the shit out of that song.... good times. good times.

Snapped this in Old Town Chicago tonight

9424350109_b9de5793b7_z.jpg

I just saw a very drunk, very talkative Jessie Ware play every song she's written to date to a crowd of like 200 people. One of the funniest, most intimate gigs I've ever been to. Man, that girl can sing. With a little luck, she's going to be huge.

So drunk :cute:

I hope someone recorded her exchange with the gay doctor about her brother, because recreating that in text form wouldn't do it justice.

That person who posted the piece of the drum set needs to clean their room.

Death grips sucks ass anyway.

Question:

Is subnet shloop's alt? And do we really need another thread where one person links YouTube videos of the songs they like? If all keiran's LS threads are going to get merged, why not that stuff? Or just get a damn twitter account, people.

Keepers from Speakerboxxx/Love Below after my first listen to the album in over 6 years:

GhettoMusick
Unhappy
Bowtie
The Way You Move
Church
Flip Flop Rock
Reset
Happy Valentine's Day
Spread
Prototype
Hey Ya
Roses
Take Off Your Cool
Vibrate
A Life in the Day of Benjamin André

Even with this track listing, it wouldn't be their best album by any stretch because the chemistry isn't there and Three Stacks' rapping >>>>>>>>>>> his singing, but it would be very strong, and both albums are quite good on their own. Collectively, I'd put it below every album before it but far above Idlewild. Those cats had a remarkable five-album run.

If you're making these judgements through a hip-hop prism, that's unfortunate. On that account it may suffer by comparison, but as a genre-bending epic it blows almost everything from that period out of the water, even with the filler on both albums.

I'd agree with just about all of this, I think.

You think? You can sit and spin too, pal.

Hey, Laz, I'm going to check out Deap Valley tomorrow. I'll let you know what I think.

Pretty sure they played on Friday. And I'm assuming El Mel and Ashley failed to see them too, so they get a major :down:.

We didn't go to Lolla today and we won't be going tomorrow either :sad:

Thanks for the reminder :depressed:

If you're making these judgements through a hip-hop prism, that's unfortunate. On that account it may suffer by comparison, but as a genre-bending epic it blows almost everything from that period out of the water, even with the filler on both albums.

You think? You can sit and spin too, pal.

Well I know you're a big fan of The Love Below (you've said before it's your fav Outkast album?). I don't dislike any of the genre-bending stuff on it, tracks like Pink & Blue, Dracula's Wedding, Vibrate in particular are good. But I think LM's list of "keepers" is pretty good.

I'm not judging the album(s) according purely to the standards of their previous work. I'm familiar with the music that influenced Outkast during this period and can compare apples with apples here. The Love Below is fun, and there are some truly masterful examples of 21st century pop music to be found in it, but the songwriting is inconsistent compared to, say, peak Prince, who Andre clearly sought to emulate. Plus, his vocals. He makes it all sound so kitschy.

Speakerboxxx, while enjoyable, is an inferior version of Stankonia with few of the intriguing sonic wrinkles that made its predecessor such a vital record. It was always going to be a lesser record without Andre, one of the best MCs out there. Sir Lucious Left Foot proved he could make a great record without Andre, but he wasn't ready yet to step out of Outkast's shadow. It just sounds like a slightly hollower version of a direction they were already heading in.

Combine the highlights of both though and, instead of two distinct 6/10 or 7/10 records, you've got a very strong White Album-esque portrait of two artists going in opposite directions. Obviously they had a vision in mind for releasing two complete albums, and I will say that it's an admirable project and part of what made the band so special, but I do remember now why I haven't listened to either one all the way through since my sophomore year of high school.

They're also playing Pukkelpop in two weeks. They clash with Holy Other so I probably won't see them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom