Random Music Talk LXXVIII: Crashing Miley's Toluca Lake Pad

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anybody have a quick list of all of the U2 recorded materials pre-Boy? The stuff that didn't make it on the Boy remastered bonus disc?

One of their early demos has my first name as its title. That makes me a real fan.

Thanks for the link, danny!

I'm going to do some listening here after I get some food. This band kicks ass. The lead guitarist is tossing out killer riffs, the bass has a great postpunk tone, and the drumming is strong. They're tight. The lead singer needs to calm down a bit, though.

I have a demos bootleg somewhere too. Will have to see which it is, for some reason I never ripped my U2 bootlegs to my computer.

What separates "indie Folk" from regular old folk? Mumford and Sons are playing the same shit The Pogues and Spirit of the West were playing 30 years ago. Is Mumford and Sons even folk? They sound like celtic music to me (ok, celtic folk, but 'celtic' is musically descriptive whereas 'indie' describes their clothes and beards). Are Mumford's son's the poster children for pro-choice?

Someone needed to slap an adjective in front of folk, so we wouldn't mix them up with any other folk music that is out there. if we put indie in front of it, then the people with scraggly beards and hipster clothes will know it's cool and they can listen to it. See, if we still had CDs, this tag wouldn't be necessary. They'd see them on the covers of those albums, and instantly know it was the music they should be listening to. Can't really see someone's face or shirt on an mp3. :wink:

The difference between Mumford and The Pogues? Well, the Pogues actually had some good ones, for starters...Shane MacGowan > that douche with the banjo. I don't often cite lyrics as any sort of example of who is better, because I have about as much poetic appreciation as a rock. And using the word poetry to describe song lyrics tends to be so pretentious it makes me want to vomit. "Thousands are Sailing" and "the body of an American" alone wipe the floor with any of this Mumford, lumineers, etc trash that is ubiquitous enough that even I've heard them. I have no idea who or what spirit of the west is.

I hate to say it, but I've lost my taste for indie folk music. I don't know if it's Mumford & Sons or Lumineers or what, but I got 5 minutes into the new Night Beds album (which is objectively decent; it was pimped by Pitchfork a month ago and thought it was worth a try) and wanted to shoot myself.

Somewhere along the way, shabby hipsters harmonizing in a cave stopped sounding good. Every third album sounds like that Fleet Foxes debut now but a hundred times worse.

Not really sure why you ever thought it sounded good in the first place. Now, if everyone else can follow your example, maybe it will go away again. Sure, like all recurring musical trends it will come back in 15-20 years, but that's quite a few years where it won't be around. Like how all those bands that were trying to sound like the white stripes back when the white stripes were huge, they're mostly gone now and it's quite nice.

I usually skim past all the U2 talk here.

If you saw all the U2 bootlegs, demos, and other non-album stuff on my external hard drive, you'd think I was a U2 fan. If I got rid of music I haven't listened to in seven or so years, you wouldn't. But it's all still here in case I change my mind and want to hear it.

I only knew it existed because mofo had mentioned this before. I'm pretty sure I listened to it once, and that was enough.

One of their early demos has my first name as its title. That makes me a real fan.

Is it bad that the very first time I found out what your first name was, I had a similar thought? U2-Fandom can be a horrible thing.

What separates "indie Folk" from regular old folk? Mumford and Sons are playing the same shit The Pogues and Spirit of the West were playing 30 years ago. Is Mumford and Sons even folk? They sound like celtic music to me (ok, celtic folk, but 'celtic' is musically descriptive whereas 'indie' describes their clothes and beards). Are Mumford's son's the poster children for pro-choice?

From what I can tell, the primary differences include clothing and reverb. That and Pogues lyrics are revealing and interesting whereas Mumford and Sons calculate every word to achieve massive popularity (fuck included).

I don't know why I compared Mumford with Fleet Foxes though. I really needed some sleep.

"Carmelita" by Warren Zevon is my favorite song.

I need to listen to it then. I've only heard the debut one maybe and don't remember that one. Warren Zevon's the man of course.

Is it bad that the very first time I found out what your first name was, I had a similar thought? U2-Fandom can be a horrible thing.

I see you've decided to go with RIZZO this year.

But the coolest player on your team is easily your boy STARLIN.

I see you've decided to go with RIZZO this year.

But the coolest player on your team is easily your boy STARLIN.

I thought about Starlin, but I think I went with him last year. I'm excited to see what Rizzo does this season. In general, I'm excited for the team this season. I don't have the highest hopes, but I have hope at all, and that's a good thing, maybe the best of things.

I need to listen to it then. I've only heard the debut one maybe and don't remember that one. Warren Zevon's the man of course.

Well, it depends what you're talking about.

His debut album, technically, is an album called Wanted Dead or Alive. It's not very memorable, was totally shit on, didn't sell at all, and Zevon himself has totally cut ties with it.

The self-titled album, bolstered by a handful of classics including the aforementioned "Carmelita", is usually considered the real debut. It rules. It's his best album right alongside the follow-up, 1978's EXCITABLE BOY.

Ah right. The self titled debut is very strong from what I recall.

John Mellencamp is probably the best example of an artist being so ashamed of their poor early work that albums years on end up being considered the debut. His early stuff was so shitty he changed his name.

I think you're right, you did have Starlin last year.

Why the fuck is Steve Kerr calling college basketball games?

I think you're right, you did have Starlin last year.

Why the fuck is Steve Kerr calling college basketball games?

I wasn't 100% sure, last season was a blur. I'm debating over the fact that I could watch the game on WGN right now and the fact that I need to go to the store. I haven't watched a Spring Training game yet this year.

He played the game, GAF, he has knowledge and experience. Who cares if he's horrible at it? (Is he? I'm not watching).

Just turned it on and Brent Lillibridge was on second base and Soriano crushed a two run homer to deep left center. Nice timing.

I still despise him with every fiber of my being, but I'll take those HR when they come in the meanwhile.

LemonMelon said:
From what I can tell, the primary differences include clothing and reverb. That and Pogues lyrics are revealing and interesting whereas Mumford and Sons calculate every word to achieve massive popularity (fuck included).

I don't know why I compared Mumford with Fleet Foxes though. I really needed some sleep.

I very much enjoyed this response

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom