Random Music CXXVI: The Woy Eet Eez

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I feel pretty awful about this, but p4k are closing their 2010s best poll, so I'm voting, and my entire top 10, if I'm being totally honest, is all men :(

I honestly could not care less. If you like music by a guy, like music by a guy. Why feel bad that you didn't like music by a woman as much? We all know you, it's definitely not like you didn't try.

I'm less disgusted that Cobbler didn't have any women on his list than I am that The Idler Wheel isn't on there. SMH

I can think of several female releases that deserve to be mentioned amongst the top tier of 2010s releases...

Probably both of Janelle Monae's Archandroid and Electric Lady(I was a bit disappointed with Dirty Computer).

Gaga's Joanne and A Star Is Born Soundtrack(I never really cared much for her earlier Fame/Fame Monster/Born This Way stuff, but I love her more recent direction).

Norah Jones' 'Daybreak', if you care for piano jazz-pop.

Perhaps Solange's 'A Seat At The Table'.

Just to name some.

I would MAYBE say Haim's and Wolf Alice's debut will be in my top ten, but that's a big maybe. I also will have a Stars album in there, that's guy/gal.

Cat Power’s Sun will def be on mine.

I’m the only one here who seems to prefer Dirty Computer to JM’s other albums, and it would definitely contend.

SZA was my #1 a few years ago, another candidate.

I’ll likely have CRJ’s Emotion or the new one on my list.

Then there’s the Queen of Country Music Kacey Musgraves to consider.

And at the moment, Nilufer Yanya’s album Miss Universe is a threat to be my #1 for 2019. I should have been pimping this one, I don’t think I’ve seen anyone mention it here.

The Idler Wheel was the only female-centered album on my top 10 of the 2010s list, but my 2019 list is going to be dominated by women.

I respect The Idler Wheel more than I enjoy it; I'm much more likely to put on Extraordinary Machine or When The Pawn...

It's a bit of a slog if I'm being completely honest, as powerful as an experience the whole album may be. The only tracks I look forward to hearing are Every Single Night, Periphery, Anything We Want, and Hot Knife.

And at the moment, Nilufer Yanya’s album Miss Universe is a threat to be my #1 for 2019. I should have been pimping this one, I don’t think I’ve seen anyone mention it here.

A quick search reveals that El Mel and Cobbler actually mentioned Nilufer back in April, so I'm late to the game again. :reject:

But glad I'm not the only one enjoying her work. That album is solid and diverse as fuck.

So I listened to the Weyes Blood album, Titanic Rising, for the first time tonight. We were talking about female artists, and it popped in my head that El-Mel had been singing the album's praises like a month ago, so I gave it a try. I've never heard any of her earlier stuff, but WOW. It's not often anymore that an album leaves me gobsmacked on a first listen, but this did the trick. She's great. It's like a 1970s singer-songwriter transported into the 21st century. Her voice is sublime. Great voice, dreamy songwriting, great production. So refreshing in an era of overproduced plastic-sounding pop music. I can't imagine this not being at or near the top of peoples' year-end lists. Why haven't I heard of her before?

Also, finally gave the two new Angel Olsen tracks a listen. Love All Mirrors, like Lark. A real alt rock feeling in these tracks. Lark in particular reminds me of Bjork in parts. Should be an interesting album.

yeeeeeesssss, listening now! it starts with a cover of Sound of Silence lol.

Ashley and I have been waiting fucking years for Dear Tommy though, so bit bummed this is not it.

yeeeeeesssss, listening now! it starts with a cover of Sound of Silence lol.

Ashley and I have been waiting fucking years for Dear Tommy though, so bit bummed this is not it.

I didn’t like the fact that their previous album opened with a cover, and I still don’t like it.

the whole hot ones series is fantastic, the interviewer does nardwuar-levels of research on his guests and asks questions that makes listening to people i otherwise don't care about really interesting. shaq's episode was hilarious, and the shia lebeouf episode from a few weeks back is highly recommended too.

Back
Top Bottom