Question about "Vertigo" lyrics

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I think what you're talking about is Bono saying, "Turn it up loud, captain." Not sure to whom or why he's saying it, though.

or it could be the word "lights" repeated right before the verse begins with "lights go down"

Schmeg said:
I think what you're talking about is Bono saying, "Turn it up loud, captain." Not sure to whom or why he's saying it, though.

Thanks, I'm gonna listen to it again. As if I need an excuse. :wink:

I thought maybe he was talking to one of the guys (Adam, Edge, Larry)??? I don't know, lol.

Apparently its a reference to Steve Lillywhite - Along with the 1... 2... 3... 14! at the start. (ie Steve produced albums Boy(1) October(2) War (3) and HTDAAB(14)
not exactly sure if thats from a reliable source or not, i've also heard it has something to do with alcohol...

Meghan said:
Apparently its a reference to Steve Lillywhite - Along with the 1... 2... 3... 14! at the start. (ie Steve produced albums Boy(1) October(2) War (3) and HTDAAB(14)
not exactly sure if thats from a reliable source or not, i've also heard it has something to do with alcohol...

What, after your third drink you can't remember how to count anymore???

:wink:

I heard the 'uno,dos,tres.. catorce..' bit could
be some biblical reference.
but hey who knows. it's bono. he's always fascinating
when it comes to lyrics
:shrug:

elysithea said:
Someone help me out here.

I could swear I hear someone saying something right before the first verse in "Vertigo" but I can never make it out.

What is he saying? Who's saying it? Or am I hearing things? :huh:

I hear things too! :wink:

marik said:
it was obviously done on purpose. even if they were drunk when it was written, after the fact it would have been caught.

That doesn't mean it would have been taken out. The song is supposed to be U2 response to the garage rock bands. So leaving it a bit rougher was part of the aesthetic goal.

the song is heavily produced, so it is obvious that it was not done 'rough'. it was produced to maybe sound like it was done 'rough', but it wasn't.

Back
Top Bottom