**POSSIBLE SPOILERS** The Joshua Tree Tour 2017 Rehearsal Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
How about putting the new song as the first song of the encore? Crowd's all excited and more likely to stay put and listen.

How about putting the new song as the first song of the encore? Crowd's all excited and more likely to stay put and listen.

That makes the most sense. Like, I get the idea of "You've been great tonight looking backwards with us and for our last number here's something from the future" but the start of a set is always the best place to hold people's attention. Do the new number, and if it flops, you can just win them back with Beautiful Day right after.

Very good idea. No one is going anywhere during the first song of an encore. And like Mac Said, great moment to intro it.

There's one wild card out there that's still unexplained... why take a full week off at the end of May in the middle of the US tour? They play Dallas on May 26, and then don't play again until June 3 in Chicago.

Could they have held that to work on the album? Sure. To rest Bono's voice before Bonnaroo and/or to rehearse a special show so it goes off better than Glastonbury? Ok. Maybe there was another show they were expecting in that time that fell apart. Or maybe, just maybe, they held that gap so that they could hop on a few late night shows, play the new song and a Joshua Tree cut or two.

Who knows what they're doing. They probably don't even know. Fun to speculate, though.

Maybe kids are graduating or getting married.

There's one wild card out there that's still unexplained... why take a full week off at the end of May in the middle of the US tour? They play Dallas on May 26, and then don't play again until June 3 in Chicago.

Could they have held that to work on the album? Sure. To rest Bono's voice before Bonnaroo and/or to rehearse a special show so it goes off better than Glastonbury? Ok. Maybe there was another show they were expecting in that time that fell apart. Or maybe, just maybe, they held that gap so that they could hop on a few late night shows, play the new song and a Joshua Tree cut or two.

Who knows what they're doing. They probably don't even know. Fun to speculate, though.

This may not be a big mystery. U2 have had random weeeks off in the middle of tours before, where nothing has happened. I wouldn't be expecting anything, though if they do decide to appear somewhere to fill the time it would make sense. The most likely explanation is venue availability.

Those are probably the most likely candidates pre-UF. If they want a surprise from Boy, "A Day Without Me" is clearly the most logical choice and wouldn't surprise me at all.

I don't see how ADWM is the "most logical choice". Surely apart from IWF or OOC, the most logical or obvious is The Electric Co., a song they like playing that has proven its ability to engage stadium audiences. ADWM hasn't been performed in 32 years and never in a stadium (festivals notwithstanding).

Agreed. I think Miss Sarejvo is a big misstep here. So many other songs they could chose that would be a deep cut/daring that wouldn't bore the casual fan.

This is a hits show, so if you stray too far, and have a song that is too low-key, you will lose the crowd.
why not throw in a Gone, or Please, or Dirty Day, Heartland, hell even EBW... one that would be somewhat familiar to some and hold their interest..

Absolutely. I think this set already has enough slow songs. Why add one more? Miss Sarajevo does have the exposure of being on a Best Of, but so do Gone, HMTMKMKM, Discotheque, UF, Electrical Storm...

What I do wonder is if they're planning to close with Mothers of the Disappeared. U2 like to end on a big, popular note. Look at prominent main set closers of the past: Pride or ISHFWILF on ZooTV, Streets on Popmart, Pride or The Fly on Elevation, One on Vertigo, Walk On for 360, and With or Without You on IE (obviously some shows had different songs, but these were the standard main set closers for these tours). These are anthems or rockers, or for the couple of slower options they're ballads that are so massive anybody attending a U2 gig can sing along with them. They're not something slow and sombre like MOTD, a song that is by no means obscure but definitely in the shadow of some of the other material. Perhaps they want to pull off something akin to their original intention in 1987, which was to use MOTD as a show closer to replace 40, with El Pueblo Vencera as the chant rather than "how long".

But I keep hoping they'll end the main set with a couple of RAH tracks. AIWIY would work well after MOTD, starting slow and then building up to a massive climax. Then rip into an electric Desire and blow the place apart before taking the encore break.

A quick glance on Twitter...if some complainers get their way, they're gonna have to finish rehearsing at an earlier time.

I don't see how ADWM is the "most logical choice". Surely apart from IWF or OOC, the most logical or obvious is The Electric Co., a song they like playing that has proven its ability to engage stadium audiences. ADWM hasn't been performed in 32 years and never in a stadium (festivals notwithstanding).

I meant in the context of having a surprise return from those first two albums. I mean, there isn't much left from Boy and they don't seem to be that big on the October LP, so why not an early single with the same kind of punch as a lot of the other Boy tracks that they've given new life this century?

I meant in the context of having a surprise return from those first two albums. I mean, there isn't much left from Boy and they don't seem to be that big on the October LP, so why not an early single with the same kind of punch as a lot of the other Boy tracks that they've given new life this century?

Gotcha. I maintain Twilight needs to come back, but that seems a forlorn hope. ATAP would also probably energise an audience.

ADWM does have single - indeed, lead single - status, but it's funny in that practically nobody remembers that. I'm not sure even the band would recall it was Boy's lead single! Much like Fire and the October album.

I'm super pumped to hear all of these songs. Hopefully there are a few more surprises in store. Great setlist from what I've read so far. :up:

(Except for MS which I never really care if I hear again.)

Gotcha. I maintain Twilight needs to come back, but that seems a forlorn hope. ATAP would also probably energise an audience.

ADWM does have single - indeed, lead single - status, but it's funny in that practically nobody remembers that. I'm not sure even the band would recall it was Boy's lead single! Much like Fire and the October album.
Twilight absolutely needs to make a reappearance, and absolutely never will.

Two Hearts Beat As One is something I've always wanted to hear them play live.

I'm surprised that Twilight, ADWM and SFB were never played during any of their Boy album nostalgia trips. ADWM was a single, FFS, that alone should justify it being played. I really think they should bring back the ADWM / ITABTAW combo... that'd be really awesome for about 10% of the audience!!!

As far as the War album, I see no reason why Seconds and Surrender can't be played occasionally. I hope that one day they'll agree with me.

Edit: Just realized the ADWM / ITABTAW combo was done as recently as 1985! I never knew either song survived beyond the War tour.

Last edited:
FFS... this is easy; en route to Chicago from Dallas they are adding a last minute show @ TD Ameritrade in Omaha, home of the College Worlds Series, as a special tribute to Bono's man Warren Buffet.

Bank on it :wink:

Or Bono's spending a week at an all you can eat buffet. I'd sooner bank on that. :wink:

I reckon they'd consider the lyrics of Seconds a bit dated. Wouldn't be too hard to update a few of the references though.

Surrender definitely ought to come back. It's actually kind of crazy how poorly War has been represented over time. SBS, NYD, and 40 have done very well for themselves. Literally nothing else has been played since 1985, apart from four (four!) performances of THBAO. That's despite Seconds, Surrender, and THBAO being staples of not one but two tours.

Interestingly enough, if it weren't for that one lonesome performance of Like a Song, War would be the only album able to claim that every one of its songs played live featured on both the supporting tour and the next album's supporting tour. (Boy, of course, falls down because of Shadows and Tall Trees taking a wander before the Boy Tour itself even began.)

Any movement today? It's possible they will have a day off/short day coming off the last two. Still holding out for someone being able to capture a better recording of TLTTGYA

Just for kicks, I pulled the oldest full setlist rehearsal I could find for i+e, from April 30, 2015. Gives us an idea of how much can change in two weeks:

1. The Miracle
2. Vertigo
3. Elevation
4. Out of Control
5. California
6. Iris
7. Cedarwood Road
8. Song for Someone
9. Sunday Bloody Sunday
10. Raised by Wolves
11. Until the End of the Worlds

12. Invisible
13. Even Better Than the Real Thing
14. Mysterious Ways
15. Ordinary Love
16. Every Breaking Wave
17. Bullet the Blue Sky
18. The Troubles

19. City of Blinding Lights
20. Beautiful Day
21. Miracle Drug
22. Where the Streets Have No Name
23. I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For

Reinforces the idea that the setlist structure likely won't change much, but some songs could be pulled in, out, or added.

Just got home. Got sunburn. Maybe the band did too. Maybe they just take a day off? Especially Bono. Don't want to burn out his voice before the tour even starts.

Windows are open. We'll see.

I reckon they'd consider the lyrics of Seconds a bit dated. Wouldn't be too hard to update a few of the references though.

Surrender definitely ought to come back. It's actually kind of crazy how poorly War has been represented over time. SBS, NYD, and 40 have done very well for themselves. Literally nothing else has been played since 1985, apart from four (four!) performances of THBAO. That's despite Seconds, Surrender, and THBAO being staples of not one but two tours.

Interestingly enough, if it weren't for that one lonesome performance of Like a Song, War would be the only album able to claim that every one of its songs played live featured on both the supporting tour and the next album's supporting tour. (Boy, of course, falls down because of Shadows and Tall Trees taking a wander before the Boy Tour itself even began.)

Speaking of NYD, it popped up on my randomness IPhone today ... the (I assume popular) bootleg from Tel Aviv... that arrangement was very good and I for one would love to hear something similar if it does make the list.

The piano lines seemed to have an echo, and Edge was in full vocal mode... almost as if the mix was set to include his voice more.

I know very little of the musical, technical details... suffice it to say, that version rocks.

I don't believe that setlist is complete. I bet they add a song or two onto the beginning and 1-2 on the end. No way they end with MS.

Since they seem to be playing pre-JT before the album, I think they do something like-

Out of Control
I Will Follow
A Sort of Homecoming
Sunday Bloody Sunday
New Year's Day (stopped and restarted)
MLK
Pride
Where the Streets Have No Name

That would be a pretty good summary type set for pre-JT leading into it. Would love for them to add in Bad, right before Streets, since its one of the greatest transitions ever.

I tend to agree. I'd be fine with ASOH opening, but this set, though not completely devoid of rockers, does not have enough of them for stadiums. Given how they seem to be structuring the set (pre JT-JT-post JT), I'd put my money on Out of Control and I Will Follow preceding it. ASOH-SBS looks pretty solid as a transition- it's a throwback to leg 1 of the 1987 JT Tour.

Out of Control was an excellent opener in the early 1980s and I Will Follow has been a frequent #2 song- not insignificantly on the original JT tour.

I may be in the minority here, but I'd never complain about OOC or IWF making a set.

Maybe they think they HAVE to play Miss Sarajevo... as a tool to spread some important "message" (again)

Though not obvious, when you think about it, it kind of fits with Bono calling for "humility" in the Trump era. It makes the anti sectarianism point (Muslims were being targeted in Bosnia) in a positive way. It would be a good way to point out the dangers to fundamental human rights without hitting people with a sledgehammer.

I'd be fine with it- though there's songs I'd rather see.

If Vertigo and 360 are any indication, it's likely to stick around if it makes it in. It was dropped either very little or not at all once it made its way into the set on those tours.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom