**POSSIBLE SPOILERS** The Joshua Tree Tour 2017 Rehearsal Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, but anybody interested in modern, great music knew about them right around the time Funeral dropped. They were hardly a secret.

New band, only out a few months, BUT Pitchfork told you to like them; SO of course you knew about them and can brag about your street cred :up:

Or, I dunno, Funeral was topping more year-end lists than any other album from 2004. If people didn't know about them by the time the Vertigo Tour started up, then it was because they could give a fuck about music. If you can't even bother to get around to listening to what's regarded as the year's best album, you've basically already given up.

I thought you were banned? Nice to know you're back with your priggish posts. Mate, they were known in indie circles but they were by no means a household name.

I've been on good behavior although I can admit to being banned from the Clintonista section.

Speaking of that, we don't need to get into a deep political discussion about the upcoming tour, but we're sure to hear some new rants echoing out of rehearsals and, shortly, during the shows. I'm just confused as to the band saying things have come "full circle" politically when either winner of the US election would have basically kept the same interventionist foreign policy chugging along. That part of the equation really wasn't affected by November's outcome and, thus, has nothing in common with, say, Reagan interventionism in South America.

I expect the band to just play it broad rather than make a political point about an election that has already happened and potentially offend half the audience, especially since Bono will have to work for Africa alongside Trump in the ensuing years.

Last edited:
I've been on good behavior although I can admit to being banned from the Clintonista section.

I've been holding back, but after that, I can't help it:

Can anyone REALLY lecture about music knowledge when they thought a 10 inch vinyl record played at a different speed and wasn't compatible with most turntables?

Because mine said 12" and 7" when I bought it years ago so I didn't bother investigating further...and yes, my table still doesn't support automatic playing of 10" since the needle won't drop where it should.

But, fair point, I guess.

Or, I dunno, Funeral was topping more year-end lists than any other album from 2004. If people didn't know about them by the time the Vertigo Tour started up, then it was because they could give a fuck about music. If you can't even bother to get around to listening to what's regarded as the year's best album, you've basically already given up.

Well this ^ ... OR... you start a family and surprise not one but twinsies come along so you kinda don't have a lot of time for keeping up on music because you are balancing two babies and two bottles and... well you get my drift, life's full of trade offs.

I'm just glad I found Arcade Fire & Funeral because of the Vertigo Tour... same for Kings of Leon.

A different post made me think someone should start a poll because I can't..."What are the most likely things to happen on this tour, vote for more than one"...

A random guitar player joins band on stage for some song.

Girl gets to dance with Bono during WOWY

One Campaign gets a mention

Bono introduces band

And so on... I'm actually curious how much he'll lean into Mr. Trump and politics this time out... likely to happen, but to what degree?

Thanks be to those keeping us informed on rehearsals.

I didn't know about Arcade Fire until I first saw the Vertigo Tour on May 7th, 2005. :doh: Obviously "Wake Up" was the best intro music ever, and was an essential part of the Vertigo Tour. I took note after my friend told me what the song was, and seemed stupefied that I'd never heard of AF.

I also saw Kings of Leon open that show. I knew "Molly's Chambers" and "The Bucket" prior to that show, but I thought they were terrible after seeing them. Years later, I jumped on the Only By The Night bandwagon. But now, I celebrate their entire catalog... I can't help it... I'm a Kings of Leon fan. (Light "Office Space" quote for those who are familiar.)

I was only 23 at that time, I should've been right on the cutting edge of music. But I would usually just wait until my cooler friends would introduce me to something, and then I would become WAY more obsessed with that band then they ever were. I don't think I ever discovered a band and THEN they became popular.

The idea that not everyone knowing Arcade Fire on the Vertigo shows is "embarrassing" is eye-rollingly silly.

I'd say Kings of Leon were the shittiest opening act I've ever seen, but then U2 has also provided me with Moonalice, and soon, Mumford & Sons. It's like they have no fucking taste. Damian Marley was pretty underwhelming as well and I even purposely got to the next night's show about ten minutes before U2 took the stage in order to skip seeing him again.

And I've seen plenty of non-U2 shows in my lifetime with everything from enjoyable enough music to pass the time to bands that were actually pretty damn good or that I was a fan of before I went to the show. Rarely has their been stuff I actually disliked, but damn the list of openers for this tour is fucking depressing.

Kings of Leon were a special kind of band because their sound just reverberated around the arena like someone turning on a chainsaw inside a metal shed. It was absolutely atrocious sounding.

Let's not forget they also had Smash Mouth open for them on Popmart.

I'd say Kings of Leon were the shittiest opening act I've ever seen, but then U2 has also provided me with Moonalice, and soon, Mumford & Sons. It's like they have no fucking taste. Damian Marley was pretty underwhelming as well and I even purposely got to the next night's show about ten minutes before U2 took the stage in order to skip seeing him again.

And I've seen plenty of non-U2 shows in my lifetime with everything from enjoyable enough music to pass the time to bands that were actually pretty damn good or that I was a fan of before I went to the show. Rarely has their been stuff I actually disliked, but damn the list of openers for this tour is fucking depressing.

Kings of Leon were a special kind of band because their sound just reverberated around the arena like someone turning on a chainsaw inside a metal shed. It was absolutely atrocious sounding.

Yeah, I knew there was a lot of hype surrounding KOL at the time, being the "Southern Strokes" and all that. They had no personality or stage presence (still don't), and they sounded like shit. And I couldn't figure out what was up with that singers voice? If you've ever heard the song "Trani", you know what I'm talking about. Eventually he learned how to hone that unique voice in to make something that sounded good.

I also suffered through Damien Marley, that was pretty damn weird. I admit, I'm one of the whitest white guys that ever was white (not a racist) and that was just bizarre to me. Institute was possibly the most boring opening band ever.

They missed a golden opportuninty to do a Staring and Walkin' on the Sun medley

Third Eye Blind also opened for U2 on PopMart. They have solid track record of picking shitty openers, but then they'll do something crazy like get Pixies, RATM or PJ Harvey. Doesn't make up for Kings of Leon, Mumford and Sons and Dashboard Confessional though.

Kings of Leon sounded like shit because they are shit.

i have someone in the band who can makes me works with they.. i have one in a millon chance to get in the staff... and i'm so afraid to leave my girlfriend, my family and my friends.. you know the only thing that makes me feel magic, makes me feel alive is when i hear u2... when i'm started to plan this migration to ireland i was younger than now... at that time i had nothing to loose, no girlfriend, no job, few friends and i thought "woowww this contact in the band can make me work with them... this is so awesome... the dream of my life " but that was 4 years ago.

now my life is so different, i have a good job, a beautiful girlfriend... it so difficult to explain but a part of my inner voice tells me that i need to try this u2 stuff, i'm still feeling the same love and magic when i hear them... and i'm still dreaming with this... so today i have to answer in my job what i'm going to do.... if i'm gonna to stay or i'm gonna to quit

the most fear is to loose everything i have now, my job, and of course my girlfriend... because i'm gonna to stay away from home about 3 months....

moreover my boss offers me an excellent position with a lot of money if i stay...

i'll try to hear my inner voice but at this time is so difficult

That is quite a decision and it obviously impacts not just you but others in your life as well. Wow. Best of luck either way, it's only 3 months if it's true love then she would understand the opportunity and wait for you correct?

Third Eye Blind also opened for U2 on PopMart. They have solid track record of picking shitty openers, but then they'll do something crazy like get Pixies, RATM or PJ Harvey. Doesn't make up for Kings of Leon, Mumford and Sons and Dashboard Confessional though.

MUSE was a solid opener, looking forward to One Republic, guess I have lucked out.

When my Spanish teacher saw the band on the Elevation tour, I can remember him going off in class on how awful he thought PJ Harvey was. Apparently that stuck out to him from all the things that happened that night.

MUSE was kind of lame in Dallas from what i remember. Of course they weren't the Black Eyed Peas so there's that.

Honest question, i wonder how much say the band really has into who opens for them as opposed to Live Nation?

Fun Lovin' Criminals (who? EXACTLY) on Popmart were just awful. I didn't mind Kings of Leon. I only enjoyed Damien Marley because it was my one time in the Ellipse and I would have loved Justin Bieber if he'd been the opener.

Fun Lovin' Criminals (who? EXACTLY) on Popmart were just awful. I didn't mind Kings of Leon. I only enjoyed Damien Marley because it was my one time in the Ellipse and I would have loved Justin Bieber if he'd been the opener.

Yea I got FLC at Philly Popmart. What a turd.

But seeing Pearl Jam and U2 in Hawaii kinda just blanket makes up for any opener I've had to sit through or will have to. Even Rocko and the Devils were fun.

I guess out of the three US openers, I'm most ok with getting Lumineers in Pittsburgh.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom