Popmart Mexico '98 Vs. Elevation Slane '01

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Popmart Mexico (which was filmed in 1997, by the way) is leaps and bounds and about ten thousand miles ahead of Slane.

I watch the Slane DVD all the time and I love the energy of not only the band but also the images that are shown of the gigantic crowd. What exactly is the Mexico DVD like? Is it similar to the documentary style of Rattle & Hum, the sheer energy of Slane, or the dizzyness of Vertigo?

Does anyone feel another ATYCLB vs Pop argument coming on? I'm so excited! :happy:

Regardless of the strength of either album, Mexico wins this one. Slane does have some great moments (Beautiful Day, Out of Control, the whole SBS-Stuck bit, All I Want is You-Streets), but Mexico is just jaw dropping from beginning to end. Popmart really was an amazing show.

Also any concert which does *not* feature Angel of Harlem-->Desire-->Staring at the Sun acoustic is a winner in my book.

Ain't 2 out of 3 of those on Mexico?

Popmart Mexico hands down, don't like the Slane show, in fact Elevation was the worst tour out of the major's.

Worst PopMart show>best Elevation show.

But I really loved that tour for some reason.

typhoon said:
Worst PopMart show>best Elevation show.

Pretty much. I don't care for half of Slane.

Then again, I skip some of Mexico City too (starting with Pride, stopping before SBS, and then skipping WOWY and stopping the tape after MW). But Mexico City's high points are absolutely incredible. I can't think of anything particularly notable to make me want to watch Slane.

Axver said:

Pretty much. I don't care for half of Slane.

Then again, I skip some of Mexico City too (starting with Pride, stopping before SBS, and then skipping WOWY and stopping the tape after MW). But Mexico City's high points are absolutely incredible. I can't think of anything particularly notable to make me want to watch Slane.

I agree

Popmart was pretty goofy.

goofy-1.gif

It reeked of "one-ups-man-ship",

the colours were great, and performances on the 2nd half of the tour were some of the bands best, but it was a crappy Zoo TV Part II.

Bono and those bubble pants? Adam and that stupid mask? Edge's 24 Gallon Cowboy Hat?

Last edited:
typhoon said:
Yeah, it was goofy, but at least it wasn't boring...

And at least the new songs were, on the whole, great. There's just no contest between Please and Stuck In A Moment or Last Night On Earth and Elevation.

I have this, Zoo TV Sydney and Vertigo Sao Paulo coming in the mail and I want them now now NOW!!! :sad:

I just can't wait any longer...

Last edited:
POPmart as a whole is a better tour than Elevation, IMO, but Slane was such an emotional outpour. SO...

Slane > Mexico

I really don't see how anyone could say otherwise :wink:

i saw slane once, and i've never felt the need to buy it. the setlist was horrible. i don't care about the surroundings, give me popmart any day.

so what if it was goofy. that was the whole point.

plus the songs kick 10's of thousands of asses over the new tripe u2 was playing in 2001.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom