pop vs. atyclb

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
This again?! I thought for sure this was a bumped thread.

Well, of course I prefer ATYCLB though it's not one of their best, either. Pop is just too noisy and unlistenable for me. The only songs I like are Gone and SATS, though the lyrics to SATS creep me out. WUDM isn't bad. The rest of it is. It reminds me of listening to factory machines all day, it gives me a headache. And Please's whineness gives me the bellyache.

On ATYCLB, "Stuck" is a very overrated and unenjoyable song. I don't know how it ever got so popular.

POP was a bunch of guys facing middle age who freaked out for awhile.

ATCYLB is a bunch of settled, happy middle aged guys who have accepted their own mortality.

I really think Veritgo is more comparable to ATYCLB- and I'd choose Vertigo, and Zooropa is more comparable to Pop, and I'd choose Zooropa!

For all the 'Emperor's New Clothes' talk of Pop's hidden genious, I really think the facts speak for themselves that Pop has the lowest sales of any record since they hit the big time, and that Pop's songs are virtually unheard on the radio like songs from ATYCLB, AB, JT , UF and War are, which proves they are not popular with the masses and have not stood the test of time. It's ten years now, time for those who bemoan how people 'didn't get it' need to 'get over it.' Accept that some people get it but still don't like it. If you like it, that's fine and nobody cares. But please don't martyr it as some kind of unappreciated masterpiece when it really is just an album.

roy said:

Eh...I read a lot of Pop reviews at the time but don't remember that being said. :scratch:

Well, I distinctly remember reading about Edge's genius on Pop and I very well remember a music journalist or somebody saying that the Edge is getting sounds out of his guitar that nobody ever thought possible or something of that sort. Maybe it was a bunch of bullcrap I don't know. :wink: All I know is that I enjoyed those sounds whether they were new or old. :drool:

Zootlesque said:

Wonder what GibsonGirl will have to say about the innovativeness of Edge's guitar on Pop. :hmm:

Well, I don't know how innovative it was with the genre in general, but I will say I've never heard a Whammy pedal used quite as well as it was on Mofo. Edge's guitar work on Pop was certainly innovative in terms of his work with the band. He used a lot of effects on AB and Zooropa, but he didn't embrace them quite as much as he did on Pop. I think Pop had the perfect blend of 'classic' Edge (think the delayed section in Discotheque, the verses in LNOE) and 'experimental' Edge (think the riff in Do You Feel Loved, Mofo, Staring At The Sun.)

Now, for the ratings:

1. Discotheque - Beautiful Day
2. Do You Feel Loved - Stuck In A Moment You Can't Get Out Of
3. Mofo - Elevation
4. If God Will Send His Angels - Walk On
5. Staring At The Sun - Kite
6. Last Night On Earth - In A Little While
7. Gone - Wild Honey
8. Miami - Peace On Earth
9. The Playboy Mansion - When I Look At The World
10. If You Wear That Velvet Dress - New York
11. Please - Grace
12. Wake Up Dead Man - The Ground Beneath Her Feet

Pop 9 - ATYCLB 3

Also, the band was just on a high when they made Pop in terms of musicianship.

Has Edge ever sounded as innovative as he did on Pop?
Has Bono ever sounded that terrified?
Has Adam even bothered to try playing like that since?
And Larry...well...his drumming on Mofo was fantastic.

Of course Pop is going to sound a step or two ahead of ATYCLB...I really don't think the two can be compared, either in quality or in perspective.

U2Kitten said:
But please don't martyr it as some kind of unappreciated masterpiece when it really is just an album.

B-but it is an orphaned, abused, underappreciated, red-headed stepchild of an album. :sad:

And please, please don't bring sales into this. Many classic albums sold next to nothing when they came out.

I'll give the rhythm section to POP, Adam and Larry were definitely very strong on that album.

But Bono's never sounded worse. Has he ever sounded that terrified? No, because he probably found out he was losing his voice and could barely sing a melody anymore.

And are you sure you want to use the word innovative to describe Edge here? Because he was definitely more innovative on The Unforgettable Fire, The Joshua Tree, and even Zooropa.

Lancemc said:
And are you sure you want to use the word innovative to describe Edge here? Because he was definitely more innovative on The Unforgettable Fire, The Joshua Tree, and even Zooropa.

In Gone, that siren-like noise sounds like nothing done before on any of those albums. In Velvet Dress, that solo sounds like nothing ever done before. Mofo esp. the album version (the live version sounds more like the classic Edge riff to me) is the same.

In Miami, that offbeat percussion during the intro is something totally new to U2 up until that point!

Lancemc said:
But Bono's never sounded worse. Has he ever sounded that terrified? No, because he probably found out he was losing his voice and could barely sing a melody anymore.

I'm pretty sure he sounded worse on ATYCLB. :huh: Bono probably sang half of Pop with a hangover, but he never sounded nearly as awful as he did on IALW or When I Look At The World. :wink:

As for Edge, I'll just say that he sounded basically the same from UF to R&H. That's why The Fly was made. There's no other U2 album where Edge sounds like he does on Pop. Innovative is up to discussion, but original? Unique? No question.

Zootlesque said:

Okay, 2 things:

a. I loved The Prodigy! And I love dance music and danceable rock music in general like The Killers and Depeche Mode.. if it's not obvious from my sig. :wink: So I guess it's not surprising that I enjoy Pop.

b. Second, Mofo is U2 getting inspired by acts like The Prodigy and The Chemical Brothers. I don't see it as U2 simply lifting and copying the exact mechanics of the music from specific songs! That's how you seem to view it.

C'mon! When Pop came out.. they were calling The Edge a genius in the media and saying he is getting sounds out of his guitar that nobody has ever done before! That's some high praise. So you can't blame me for thinking that Pop was innovative. Unless we're well versed in guitar mechanics (which I'm not), we can only trust what the so called experts say. :shrug:

Wonder what GibsonGirl will have to say about the innovativeness of Edge's guitar on Pop. :hmm:

all i remember is that edge in an interview said that he was 'as usual' trying to make the guitar sound like a spaceship.

LemonMelon said:

B-but it is an orphaned, abused, underappreciated, red-headed stepchild of an album. :sad:

Of course! That's how some people here defend it, like their ugliest, dumbest kid that nobody else likes. It's only an album. It doesn't matter who likes it and who doesn't. I bet even the band doesn't care.

And please, please don't bring sales into this. Many classic albums sold next to nothing when they came out.

Oh yea I know, and Britney and NSync sell millions. That's mixing apples and oranges. The point is, compare Pop to OTHER U2 albums in sales, and radio play, and you can see it obviously is not as popular with most fans. The band didn't even put a Pop song on the new greatest hits (though "Stuck" didn't belong there, either IMO) It's just not as good of a record as the others. Ten years have now passed, time to let it go.

U2Kitten said:
The band didn't even put a Pop song on the new greatest hits

U218 is not "greatest hits". It is a collection of the biggest selling singles. Of course Pop is not gonna be featured!

Zootlesque said:

U218 is not "greatest hits". It is a collection of the biggest selling singles. Of course Pop is not gonna be featured!

Oh! Well, yeah! That makes sense!

Zootlesque said:

I'll remember you said this. You were playing a different tune last month.:wink:

BonoVoxSupastar said:

I'll remember you said this. You were playing a different tune last month.:wink:

:lmao: Wow! Is this ESP? I knew your response was coming!

Well.... at least it seems like the biggest selling singles. Unless they want to ignore Zooropa and Pop cos they don't like them.

But we got nobody to confirm that they chose the biggest selling singles, remember?

;)

Zootlesque said:

:huh: Discotheque did better than every ATYCLB single.

its funny, back in 2002 people were already sick of the Pop vs ATYCLB debates, and here we are in '07 and they are still raging on, thanks to people like U2Man :wink:

Why aren't we having HTDAAB vs. POP threads?

Oh yeah, that's because HTDAAB sucks. Even I'd pick Pop in that thread. :wink:

Chizip said:
its funny, back in 2002 people were already sick of the Pop vs ATYCLB debates, and here we are in '07 and they are still raging on, thanks to people like U2Man :wink:

well, they still seem to gather a lot of interest :wink:

U2Man said:
well, they still seem to gather a lot of interest :wink:

That's because there's still people here who're wondering "what the hell happened to this band after Pop??? :( "

Lancemc said:
Why aren't we having HTDAAB vs. POP threads?

Oh yeah, that's because HTDAAB sucks. Even I'd pick Pop in that thread. :wink:

Ding! Bravo.

One thing I don't - and never will - understand that sometimes (sometimes/occasionaly, not lumping you all together at all) comes from anti-Pop posts is comments about not liking it because there is obvious influences there from other styles/genres of music. WTF? I bet those same people adore the Joshua Tree and Rattle & Hum. Americana influence = OKAY, European influence = SHITE. Got it. Fuck Achtung, Zooropa and Pop, roll out BB King one more time! And using the electronic technology/influence of the time IS okay when it's Eno's synths creating a wide open space behind a song in the 80's, but is NOT okay when it's Flood or Howie B creating a traffic jam behind a song in the 90s. Got it. I'm picking this up quickly here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom