PGP: Waiting for U2 to Blow Out the Tumbleweeds

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I have a confession to make ....

... if it turns out that U2 is not playing Dublin, I will be a little relieved, because it's just going to add more complexity (and cost) to my trip. :reject:

I'd be a little disappointed at not getting to see them in Dublin, and definitely disappointed at not getting to meet everyone who would be there, but ..... yeah. It'd make my travel planning a lot easier.

:lol:

/confession

What are you watching?

I'm watching a random gymnastics competition, and in the background behind the announcers, I can hear I'm Shipping Up to Boston by the Dropkick Murphys.

:rockon:

I have a confession to make ....

... if it turns out that U2 is not playing Dublin, I will be a little relieved, because it's just going to add more complexity (and cost) to my trip. :reject:

I'd be a little disappointed at not getting to see them in Dublin, and definitely disappointed at not getting to meet everyone who would be there, but ..... yeah. It'd make my travel planning a lot easier.

:lol:

/confession

:hug: I totally understand how you feel. I hope they take another year and a half to tour again. I need time to save up for them again. Or they need to come close, like Nashville, again. I love Bono, but the man makes life difficult.

I'm starting to try and make some more itinerary decisions, and I'm already starting to stress about how it'll work if I add U2 concerts into the mix.

"... okay, so I go BACK to Dublin for the concerts, but that's another 2 or 3 nights hotel, but maybe I can split it with people, but maybe I should START in Dublin with the concerts and then go back at the end so I can see the city without another 30,000 U2 fans rabble-rousing in the streets ... and how the hell do I even begin to deal with the thought of the European concert crowds, because of course I have to do GA and what if there are like THREE concerts (and of course I'd go to all, because if I'm going to be there, why not go to all) and they're all outside the city like at Slane, so then I have to figure out how to GET there as well as figure out the city and the country .... and how to drive on the left and figure out the Euro and drink Guiness all while dancing a jig and and and and ..... AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!"

.... it's entirely possible I'm overthinking things. :wink:

:lol: I thought you might be watching Beaches!

Cori, I know what you're saying. When we were in Ireland, we didn't actually do anything U2 related, didn't go sign the wall, didn't go to the studio, didn't take a pic in front of Bono's gates, nothin'. We were doing lots of other stuff.

:sigh:
good times

The sad thing is, even without the concert piece, I'm overthinking it. I wish I could be one of those people who can "wing it" with travel, but lordy, that is NOT me. Maybe once I've traveled outside the country that first time, I'll be able to wing it a bit more on a future trip.

Even when I first started planning what I wanted to do in and around Dublin, I wasn't planning on doing anything U2-related.

:shifty:

:shh:

If I end up with extra sight-seeing time after I've seen what I want to see, I might go to Hanover Quay, but that's really at the end of my list. I'm sure I'll pop into the Clarence because it'll be right there, but that hardly counts. :lol:

I'm starting to try and make some more itinerary decisions, and I'm already starting to stress about how it'll work if I add U2 concerts into the mix.

"... okay, so I go BACK to Dublin for the concerts, but that's another 2 or 3 nights hotel, but maybe I can split it with people, but maybe I should START in Dublin with the concerts and then go back at the end so I can see the city without another 30,000 U2 fans rabble-rousing in the streets ... and how the hell do I even begin to deal with the thought of the European concert crowds, because of course I have to do GA and what if there are like THREE concerts (and of course I'd go to all, because if I'm going to be there, why not go to all) and they're all outside the city like at Slane, so then I have to figure out how to GET there as well as figure out the city and the country .... and how to drive on the left and figure out the Euro and drink Guiness all while dancing a jig and and and and ..... AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!"

.... it's entirely possible I'm overthinking things. :wink:

:crack:

I'm also already overthinking the Seattle show. I want to play "hostess" and organize the get-together as much as I can, but there's only so much I can do, since not everyone will want to commit to going, and we probably can't get reservations because the pub is so tiny. And I'll feel bad if there's not a seat for everyone who shows up.

:panic:

Seriously, damn the Owl & Thistle and their ridiculously tiny space. I wish Zoo Station could find a bigger place to play.

The sad thing is, even without the concert piece, I'm overthinking it. I wish I could be one of those people who can "wing it" with travel, but lordy, that is NOT me. Maybe once I've traveled outside the country that first time, I'll be able to wing it a bit more on a future trip.

Even when I first started planning what I wanted to do in and around Dublin, I wasn't planning on doing anything U2-related.

:shifty:

:shh:

If I end up with extra sight-seeing time after I've seen what I want to see, I might go to Hanover Quay, but that's really at the end of my list. I'm sure I'll pop into the Clarence because it'll be right there, but that hardly counts. :lol:

Ok... so explain this to me again? And use small words? I think I'm having a :bono: moment.

We were right down the street from The Clarence & we didn't go in. And I know what you mean about winging it. When I travel I kinda have set plans, but you'll find that you want to spend longer somewhere, or somewhere else doesn't hold your interest as much as you thought it would. Are you traveling with a group? or friends? or solo? I kinda envy the solo travel. Haven't done it in a loooooonnnng time.

Ok... so explain this to me again? And use small words? I think I'm having a :bono: moment.

Explain what? Hanover Quay? Isn't that where their studio is, where people hang out and leave messages on a wall, and maybe Bono happens by and gives you a ride back to your hotel? (Which apparently actually happened at least once. Swoon.)

In general, I meant I wasn't planning on visiting "important historical" U2 sites, like a lot of fans do when they go to Dublin.

:)

Zu - yeah, I'm going solo. Part of me wouldn't mind having a friend there to help figure stuff out, but at least this first time, I feel a big need to do it on my own.

If I ever go somewhere where I don't speak the language, I'd probably go with a friend or even a guided tour kind of thing.

Where do you live?

Ooh, and by the way, I haven't been around that much - how did your date go the other week?

Explain what? Hanover Quay? Isn't that where their studio is, where people hang out and leave messages on a wall, and maybe Bono happens by and gives you a ride back to your hotel? (Which apparently actually happened at least once. Swoon.)

In general, I meant I wasn't planning on visiting "important historical" U2 sites, like a lot of fans do when they go to Dublin.

:)

Zu - yeah, I'm going solo. Part of me wouldn't mind having a friend there to help figure stuff out, but at least this first time, I feel a big need to do it on my own.

If I ever go somewhere where I don't speak the language, I'd probably go with a friend or even a guided tour kind of thing.

Are you just going to Dublin? Are you renting a car?

Bah, I'm sorry. Well, poo on him. At least he let you know. I guess. Although then why go on a date?

Feh on him.

Are you just going to Dublin? Are you renting a car?

Right now my concertless itinerary is lining up to look like 4 nights in Dublin, do stuff in and around there, take the train to Galway (where I'll rent a car), 4 nights in and around Galway, drive to Dingle, spend 2 or 3 nights there and then .... probably back to Galway to drop off the car and take the train back to Dublin and fly home.

I was originally going to Cork as well, but I think that was trying to cram too much into the (roughly) two weeks.

Right now my concertless itinerary is lining up to look like 4 nights in Dublin, do stuff in and around there, take the train to Galway (where I'll rent a car), 4 nights in and around Galway, drive to Dingle, spend 2 or 3 nights there and then .... probably back to Galway to drop off the car and take the train back to Dublin and fly home.

I was originally going to Cork as well, but I think that was trying to cram too much into the (roughly) two weeks.

Ooohhhh.... You're going to Ireland! I had a great aunt from Northern Ireland.

Cool! My mom's dad's grandmother (or great-grandmother?) was Irish. I think I tracked down that line back to a Sullivan that came over from Cork to New York back in the 1870s.

I don't know that my research was correct, but we do know that Sullivan is the name of the Irish bunch.

I only recently found out a little bit of my heritage on my bio-dad's side. With the last name of Burke, I figured it was likely Irish or English. Turns out it's English. Boo! :wink:

Comet, we're like twinzies!
Mr.Z put the corned beef/cabbage/carrots/potatoes in the slow cooker (the one I got him for Christmas, remember? :giggle: ) this morning.

AND I had that exact same convo in my head. "I wanna wear a U2 shirt but none of them are green". Well, I have an olive green vertigo tee but it's a little too worn to wear to work.

K, there will be no pics of my haircut. My bangs are waaaaaaay too short :sad: and I have to play with the rest of it. I don't think I like it.

Oh yeah I have an old oliveish green U2 shirt or 2, but not that I would really wear out. My Green Day shirt is much newer and kelly green too. :D

YAY for Mr zooey! How was your dessert? :drool:

I had a Bushmills Irish whiskey on the rocks tonight before dinner, just to try it and say slainte for St P's Day. Er, can't say I'm a fan of whiskey on the rocks... it was sorta... yucky. :lol: (I chased it with my Starbucks though so it was all good!)
I must say the Irish beer (Kilkenny) I had this morning was excellent though :love:

Aww no! You don't like your haircut? :(

cori: Me = envious! :drool:

I really want to look into my heritage more. I know I'm half Portuguese, and half Irish/Welsh, but I'd love to know the specifics!

Cori, perhaps you should just plan the trip you want, and not wait for U2 to announce dates. I am the kind of person that likes to plan things thoroughly, and it sounds like the waiting is stressing you out. If you find a great deal on airfare, book it. If you do lump the concert into that trip, you might not get to see everything you want. Just my :twocents:. :wink:

I was bummed to find out that, after I connected with bio-dad, they really don't have much information about his maternal lineage. So I know I can add English to my list of Bits of Heritage, but no idea what else. Boo.

They sent me some family tree stuff I haven't checked out yet, but it sounds like the English line has been in Florida for hundreds of years! That's pretty nifty.

Back
Top Bottom