Passengers 10 Years Later

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
its been 10 years since the glorious "passengers" was released.

i think it is a great album and did so from my first listen when it was released, not every u2 fans fav album (nor larry's) but you need to hear it for what it is.

its not a singles album but a nighttime piece of backround music which is also touching and experimental.

it would have confused fans had it been called a u2 album , even "radiohead" were inspired from it when they did "kid a " and "amnesiac"

10 years later i still listen to it often late at night with a few drinks.

does anyone else have an opinion on it?

It's still an album which at least twice a month runs in my player.........
it's a gorgeous record, and you're right, it's a nighttime dream to listen to, especially themes frome the swan it's something that goes within you! One of the best ideas U2 could have ever had, i'm glad they've done it

The world would be a much better place if it had a little more Slug in it.

I love Passengers, but I'm glad it wasn't released as an official U2 album. Obviously, Larry Mullen and the record company felt the same way. It has some great songs and it's works as an excellent transition from Zooropa to POP!.

I bet U2 themselves cant believe this was 10 years ago already!:ohmy:

The album really grew on me after a while. If you're in the right mood, it sounds just wonderful - even Ito Okashi!:ohmy:

passengers OS1 still is a cool album.
there are a few mysterious hidden messages on the album creeping in subconscious mind ito okashi - corpse - one minute warning
great experimental album :up:

I'm glad the album was a side project. At the time, the critics praised a "major" band like U2 for getting involved in this experimental project. However, if this was an official U2 album, I'm not sure those same critics would have been as kind. That said, this work showed a side of U2 that perhaps more Radiohead fans and Coldplay fans should hear. It proves U2 was doing this type of sound for a LONG time (actually, this is proven with UF, but it's really showcased on OS1).

However, as an overall album, I wasn't enthralled by it. It had its moments and some songs were brilliant. Some I enjoyed and some I abhorred. If this were an official U2 album, I would not like it. Fortunately, one of the best songs, "Miss Sarajevo", is now being featured on the tour - and about time!

Overall, it was good for U2 to do this (despite what Larry thinks), but I'm glad it wasn't an official U2 release.

Also, I hope U2 give this album a good listen, along with "Love & Peace or Else", "Mercy" and "Fast Cars", before they head back into the studio. It might inspire them to be a bit more daring and experimental on the next album. Nothing wrong with creating a great powerful single. I think we can agree that "Vertigo" wasn't really *that* safe of a lead-off single (as compared to "Beautiful Day", which has a classic U2 them and sound) and was a bit risky. But both ATYCLB and HTDAAB are full of more "traditional" U2 songs. HTDAAB is more risky and I hope U2 continue in that vain. Perhaps a re-listen to OS1 and the risky songs on HTDAAB will inspire U2 to stay in that mindset. Nothing wrong with sounding like U2 - I love ATYCLB and HTDAAB! But now we've heard it, it's time for something else.

I really should start a thread to appreciate this, but One Minute Warning is just a great track. In fact, OST1 is great in the first nine tracks, plus Theme From Let's Go Native, but falls down in parts. A great experiment, though, and a crucial part of the band's development - like the tracks from the Million Dollar Hotel soundtrack.

I remember looking high and low for a retailer who had this album when it came out. No one carried it in my little college town -- imagine a scared li'l freshman getting up the nerve to walk downtown, past the crack whores and pimp daddies, only to have record dealers say, "Passengers? Shee-it, what's that?"

I eventually just gave up and bought it when I went home one weekend. Remember feeling excited, but the excitement wearing off quickly. This was shortly after "Hold Me Thrill Me" had stormed the charts, and I was personally waiting for U2 to get back to its Achtung Baby sound after the Europop of Zooropa. Didn't know what to make of Passengers.

OS1 is what I put on when I'm writing -- it's got songs to fit every mood, whether it's an action scene or a dialogue moment. But I can't really say I listen to it.

This thread should be made 'sticky'! Ten year anniversay to the day is in 35 days (ROW)/36 days US.

We need to celebrate this album on that day. The concept and idea was frickin' amazing, even if some of the songs are subpar.

I've always wondered what would have happened if the album was much more successful - would there have been a small theater tour? More Passenger albums? Longer delay of the return of U2?

There's a great mystery that will always be there, and an appreciation that needs to be uncovered for Original Soundtracks I.

I think they should've called it a U2 album. yeah, yeah I know the whole story behind the album and stuff but still, it's basically a U2 album. It should've been called U2's original soundtrack It just seems to me to be the one time where the band chickened out. Who cares what anybody would've said, it was a U2 album "officially" or not. Oh well. It's not a big deal. Deccent "project" though. I love Your Blue Room. One of my favorites.

Last edited:
It´s about time the BAND got back in the studio and did a Passengers: Original Soundtrack Volume "2" !! :rockon:

This album is one of THE Best chillin´out (lounging) musical pieces ever recorded. Some songs are strange (I know) but it just mixes GREAT with a Dry Martini (stirred not shaken! & two olives!) :cool:

I think this is actually U2's best album of the nineties. The creativity is absolutely amazing - it's wonderfully artistic and some of the songs are so under-rated. The world would be a lesser place if it did not have songs such as Slug, Beach Sequence, and One Minute Warning.

Axver said:
I think this is actually U2's best album of the nineties. The creativity is absolutely amazing - it's wonderfully artistic and some of the songs are so under-rated. The world would be a lesser place if it did not have songs such as Slug, Beach Sequence, and One Minute Warning.

I don't know about best album of the 90's, but it certainly deserves it's place there as just as an important part of that story as Achtung/Zooropa/Pop. I understand their 2 main reasons for releasing under the Passengers name, but it firmly sits there on my shelf in between Zooropa and Pop as a U2 (& Guests) album.

U2 would be a far lesser band without it as well. Atomic Bomb, as much as I bag it (and a large part of the reason why I bag it) is a 10/10 pop album. Passengers is the exact fucking opposite thing in absolutely every conceivable way - and is executed just as brilliantly. The fact that they were both spat out by the same band is what actually makes U2 quite incredible. I just wish that people could see that Pop was actually the middle ground :mad:

I would still struggle to see this as an actual U2 album

I think the main reason being that when I listen to the tracks, I just don't know what was composed by U2 and what wasn't.

I know it's subjective, but I can hear their influences on certain tracks, (ie let's go native) but others barely at all - (ie ito okashi)

Though I agree with earnie that it's incredible that it was made by U2 at all - it's a credit to their genius.

Back
Top Bottom