Parking near MSG?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
2 places. Park 2 blocks away next to Hammerstein Ballroom 24/7 Garage or go to a cheaper Garage close to Roseland Ballroom and pay $30 for the day.

heh

I hear ya

But for all day tho? We're leaving Friday, driving thru the night to join the GA line...I doubt we can park all day on a NY street can we?

Or I could just eat the ticket like I did when Bono signed my UF LP outside Letterman in 2001 :D

G

gabrielvox said:
heh

I hear ya

But for all day tho? We're leaving Friday, driving thru the night to join the GA line...I doubt we can park all day on a NY street can we?

Or I could just eat the ticket like I did when Bono signed my UF LP outside Letterman in 2001 :D

G

Well, then I am assuming you are going to the 10/8 show. For the last 10/27/01 MSG Saturday Elevation show, I got into the city ~730am/800am
drove around a few blocks from the city and found a spot (you have to watch the signs, since its a weekend I think the parking rules are less than on a weekday), parking from 8am till the show was over ~1130pm. No problems.

Also, MSG GA lines are a lot different than other venue GA lines.

Also, note that you will have access to your car during the day, not when its in a parking garage. Driving from Toronto to New York, have fun!

gabrielvox said:
Where?

How much should we expect to pay?

Thanks!

i highly suggest not driving all the way into new york city. there are numerous commuter railways availalbe (jersey transit, metro north, long island rail road) where you can park your car at the station and ride the train in. much easier.

however, if you don't feel comfortable doing it this and really must drive into manhattan...

here is madison square garden's page for directions on how to get there/parking, etc.

http://www.thegarden.com/inandaroundgarden_directions.html

they have a list of different parking garages in the vicinity of the garden, along with phone numbers for each garage.

As for parking on the street... New York City's official webpage has a page dedicated simply to parking rules in Manhattan. It's not as easy as simply finding a spot and staying there. There are so many wacky rules that they have that finding a spot where these rules aren't in effect is very hard to do.

Here's what their page says...
All of NYC was designated a Tow Away Zone under the State’s Vehicle and Traffic Law in 1959. This means that any vehicle parked or operated illegally, or with missing or expired registration or inspection stickers, may be towed.

On major legal holidays stopping, standing and parking are permitted except in areas where stopping, standing and parking rules are in effect seven days a week ( for example, "No Standing Anytime").

Double parking of passenger vehicles is illegal at all times, including Alternate Side Parking Regulation days, regardless of location, purpose or duration.

It is illegal to park within 15 feet of either side of a fire hydrant. The painted curbs at hydrant locations do not indicate where you can park.

An occupied illegally parked vehicle causes the same safety hazard and congestion as an unoccupied vehicle. Exercise responsibility, park legally.

Parking in a School Zone
Parking is allowed in school zones when school is in recess. However, motorists should be aware that specific schools may be open on holidays and during summer vacations, and parking restrictions would remain in effect. If schools have summer sessions or are open for teacher meetings or similar activities, even if students are not attending, the parking regulations apply on such days. Individuals should contact specific schools to verify that they are in recess.

Street Cleaning Rules (SCR) (Alternate Side Suspension)
Most SCR signs are clearly marked with the "P" symbol with the broom through it. Some SCR signs are the traditional 3-hour ones (8am to 11am etc.) but others vary considerably.
"No Parking" street cleaning rules are suspended in parking meter zones during the street cleaning hours on the 32 holidays when other street cleaning rules are suspended; however, the metered parking itself, as well as all other regulations not suspended on those days, remain in effect.

Meters
At a broken meter parking is allowed only up to one hour (60 minutes). Where a meter is missing, parking is still allowed for the maximum time on the posted sign. (An hour for a 1-hour meter, 2 hours for a 2-hour meter, etc.). If all the meters are broken the driver shall follow the rules pertaining to broken or missing regular street meters as stated here.
"No Parking" street cleaning rules are suspended in parking meter zones during the street cleaning hours on the 32 holidays when other street cleaning rules are suspended; however, the metered parking itself, as well as all other regulations not suspended on those days, remain in effect.

See information on metered parking for midtown Manhattan.

Signs
New York City Traffic Rules state that one sign per block is sufficient. Please check the entire block and read all signs carefully before you park.
If there is more than one sign posted for the same area, the more restrictive one is the one in effect. If a sign is missing on a block, the remaining posted regulations are the ones that are in effect.

Last edited:
XBL_AchtungBaby said:

Also, MSG GA lines are a lot different than other venue GA lines.

Also, note that you will have access to your car during the day, not when its in a parking garage. Driving from Toronto to New York, have fun!

How are MSG GA lines different? Can you describe?

We did Meadowlands in Oct 2001, same type of plan, drove thru the night and got there about 7 am...

are we on the right track again?

PS Headache - so basically what your saying is, bring my laywer :lol: :wink:

MSG's different 'cause it's deadsmack in the middle of midtown manhattan.

there are no parking garages directly affiliated with MSG... just ones in the area owned by someone else.

the sidewalks surrounding the garden is not considered garden property. they are owned and operated by the city of new york.

msg sits directly on top of penn station, which is owned and operated by the port authority of new york/new jersey. it is the transportation hub for the majority of new yorkers... and probably has a couple hundred thousand commuters comming in from long island or new jersey every day... including weekends.

so yea... it's not your normal arena. the nypd doesn't exactly want thousands of people camping out on the streets outside the garden all night long... for logistical purposes as well as security purposes.

ok so if we get there in the morning it will be ok?

im hearing that maybe there wont be overnight camping like in other cities....i guess that could work out to our advantage possibly :)

Can you describe Jersey transit? That may be an option worth looking into because we have decided to stay outside the city, at the Radisson in Saddle Brook (?)..we chose there are its basically on our way back so we'll have a head start when we wake up the next day....also, can't argue with $64 US for a Radisson room! :) Do you know that area at all in terms of Jersey Transit?

gabrielvox said:

How are MSG GA lines different? Can you describe?

We did Meadowlands in Oct 2001, same type of plan, drove thru the night and got there about 7 am...

are we on the right track again?

PS Headache - so basically what your saying is, bring my laywer :lol: :wink:

So, you were at that mess of a concert in Oct 2001. I don't think the GA line will be as bad as that one.

From my experience at MSG.
1. Not as many people show up as early (it's New York)
2. The place where you wait really isn't the greatest (its gets crowded towards show time, since it is basically also on top of Penn Station, which is a plus early on due to variety of eats)
3. The security/people there really don't give a hoot about keeping the line in order (i.e. don't be surprised to see people pushing there way up front when starting to get let in. Usually they get yelled down by everyone else).
It won't be as bad as Oct 2001 at the Meadowlands, but it won't be as good as May 2005 at the Meadowlands.

Headache in a Suitcase said:
i don't think there's a nj transit in saddlebrook but there's plenty in surrounding cities... 10 minutes away or so.

www.njtransit.com

Headache thanks!

One bus and a quickie subway

Depart: SADDLE RIVER RD. & PEHLE AVE.(On 164 NewYork)
07:52 AM
Arrive: PORT AUTHORITY BUS TERM [41ST & 8TH ENT] 08:39 AM

Transfer

Depart: 42 ST-PORT AUTH BUS TERM(On NYC subway E (www.mta.nyc.ny.us/nyct))
08:46 AM
Arrive: 34 ST-PENN STATION 08:48 AM

EDIT:

ALso found a train from Broadway -> Hoboken that you get off at Secaucus Junction and get on the Penn St train....a bit shorter but not by much..I guess in traffic the train would certainly be faster..

woo hoo!

Last edited:
well if you're going into hoboken the quickest and easiest way from hoboken to manhattan is to take the PATH train.

as for the busses... traffic might be an issue, but the port authority does have a "busses only" tube in the lincoln tunnel that ends right before the ramp for the port authority... their little ramp setup they got there is actually pretty impressive... takes you right from the tunnel exit into the port authority building.

don't know if the bus only tunnel is operational on a saturday though... might only be a rush hour thing.

Yeah I dunno...the map directions tell me its merely 10 miles to the city....thats what, 16 km.....16 km in 45 minutes? Seems kinda slow..but I'm not arguing, 45 minutes doesn't get you very far in Toronto traffic lol

As others have said, park elsewhere and take the subway to the show.. It'll save you quite a bit of time and $$. Since I come from Jersey, I take the PATH over and it couldn't be easier.

anyone have ideas of where to stash stuff we'd have with us for the GA line if we don't leave our car somewhere by MSG?

Back
Top Bottom