Original chart watch

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

beLIEve

Refugee
Since this is probably the last single for the U.S. and has some potential to break out of the usual, narrow radio format play and cross over to mainstream music radio, I thought it deserved it's own thread. Hopefully this song will make a lasting impression on listeners and result in a genuine radio hit for U2 that helps push HTDAAB back up the charts.

Each week, I'll post the results for OOTS on the major U.S. radio charts, which will include Radio and Records, MediaGuide, Mediabase, and Billboard. I'll include other charts (Top hits online, AT Top 40, American Radio Charts, Video charts, etc.) as well for some weeks.

So, I guess this is week 53 for HTDAAB, and even though OOTS debuted on Radio and Records Top 30 (AAA Rock) last week, we'll go with this being "Week 1" for OOTS, going by calendar week. MediaGuide reports on Monday nights, Radio and Records report on Wednesday nights, and BB reports on Thursdays. Mediabase is nearly real-time, as it updates every 12 hours. Here it goes:

OOTS Week 1 (Nov 28-Dec 4)

MediaGuide: OOTS debuts on the Triple A Top 50 (COBL hangs on, too)

Week Ending: 11/27/05
Triple A (C)

LW TW Artist Single
31 23 BIGGEST GAINER U2 Original Of The Species
24 25 Coldplay Speed Of Sound
25 28 Green Day Wake Me Up When September Ends
36 29 Coldplay Talk 29
27 31 U2 City Of Blinding Lights

Mediabase update for 11/30/05 (A.M. Report)

Triple A Top 20 MAIN Chart
Today 7 days ago +/- plays
14 25 +71

Adult Top 20 JUMP Chart
Today 7 days ago +/- plays
20 -- +31

Maybe we could get one of the Mods to create a post in the main posting areas where we could list radio station request lines and help get this song moving.

This seemed to work well with songs as BD and Vertigo.

I'd really like to see this song (and every song) take off on the radio.

Radio and Records just updated their charts and they are pretty much in line with the other radio charts with one new development. OOTS is up 9 spots on AAA Rock and will soon crack the Adult Top 40 chart as well. In addition, OOTS shows up on the Mainstream Rock Chart as the most added song for last week.

This may bode well for the song on the Hot 100, as the best chance for OOTS to break into Billboard will be for it to do well, and also peak, simultaneously on multiple formats. AAA Rock loves U2, but it's a small off-shoot of Adult Top 40. Mainstream Adult Top 40, however, is a fairly large format. So is Mainstream Rock. If the song was picked up by Modern Rock, or dare I say, Mainstream Pop radio, then the combined airplay potential could mean a Hot 100 hit for U2.

Still, I'm getting way ahead of myself, even if the song is off to a relatively fast start. Download availability of the single version, with a good b-side thrown in, is really the only chance OOTS has of being a Top 40 Hot 100 hit. I don't know of any plans for this, but then again, we didn't know about one of U2's better music video's until the day before it showed up, either. Without downloads, OOTS could still crack the Hot 100, even if it only succeeds on the 3 current formats that have picked it up.

If it gets added to 1 or 2 additional formats, it still could do quite well based on Airplay only, which is what happened with Vertigo since BB didn't give that song credit for downloads. The problem now, though, is that most of the competition is benefiting from downloads on the Hot 100. How ironic that U2 paved the way for large-scale, legal downloading which lead to BB counting that in the "sales" part of the Hot 100 chart, but they could miss out on the chart benefits, at least with HTDAAB singles, if Vertigo ends up being the only song that got a significant # of downloads.

Regardless, the song is still brand new and it looks promising. Hopefully it will show up on Billboard before Christmas and garner enough attention & radio play to keep HTDAAB rising on the Top 200 album chart. So far so good!

As Tech Savy U2 likes us to believe they are, I find it very odd that they haven't put any of their singles up on iTunes.

Just kind of baffles the mind. Maybe they think they were overexposed with Vertigo in the US, so they decided to back off. It's been over a year now since the commercial and song. Time to break out of their shell and hit us again.

They're close with the iPod Video commercial. Watching football on FOX, it's on almost 2-3 times a hour. Good exposure, but they need to release the song on iTunes.

Maybe someone from their management will read our comments.

Then again, you need to time the release of a single on iTunes. Because those downloads will count immediately for the charts, so you want them to kick in when the song has big support. Otherwise the push comes too early, resulting probably in the song entering the Hot 100, but then not rising much (or falling off the chart a few weeks later), because sales and radio are not aligned.

i have posted in some italian u2 fans site the link for requesting OOTS in the triple A radio station usa!!!!we must help this song!!!!!!

ps. do u know if oots is already avaliable on I-TUNES?

Last edited:
whats the latest stats on orginal of species in USA so far its wednesday and I think tuesday is when the count stuff for charts. Thanks in advance!

Sorry for the delay...here's week 2

U2WaTCher said:
whats the latest stats on orginal of species in USA so far its wednesday and I think tuesday is when the count stuff for charts. Thanks in advance!

OK, here's week 2 for OOTS, starting with...

Radio & Records (radio play charts by format updated Wed's)

AAA Rock
OOTS 12 (from 19)
COBL 5 (Recurrent play chart)

Mainstream Rock
OOTS 5 (New & active chart)
OOTS 4 (Rock most adds chart)

MediaGuide (radio play charts by format updated Monday's)

AAA Rock
OOTS 18 (from 23)

Mediabase.com (radio play charts by format updated twice/day)

AAA Rock
OOTS 12 (from 12 7 days ago)

Mainstream Rock
OOTS 2 (Taking off chart with 1 Add, +22 plays, 6 stations)

Alternative
OOTS 3 (Taking off chart with 1 Add, +18 plays, 12 stations)

Hot AC/Adult Top 40
OOTS 19 (Taking off chart with 1 Add, +47 plays, 17 stations)

The fact that OOTS is now showing activity on 4 different (3 major) radio formats is a pretty good sign. However, while this may be the best start for any of the U2 singles in 2005, it's not taking off fast enough to make an impact, and it's stalled on Triple A for the last 6 days.

A radio campaign is in order! I'll post this on EYKIW when I can.

Believe, can you post the links of the Us radio stations where we can request OOTS?Somewhere in the forum there is a list but in a lot of the radio stations it isn't possible vote or request OOTS....we must to help this song and u2!Thnx!!!!!!

just requested on half of them.

what are the audience size of these stations, and how likely is it that requesting will help OOTS significantly?

Please Stop these requests ! Now it's over for HTDAAB. And it's time for U2 to think to the follow-up.

having another hit single off the album which has already been released is hardly going to result in U2 taking more time to make a follow-up

excuse me, do you know when they will release the cd single for canada ?in 20 december?it's right?thanx!

Week 3 for Original Chart Watch:

I'll start with mediabase.com, which is current as of this morning:

Triple A
OOTS up to #10 with a bullet

Mainstream Rock
OOTS at #14 on "Jump" chart w/+15 plays on 8 stations

Hot AC
OOTS at #12 on "Jump chart w/+60 plays on 22 stations

Radio & Records has also updated:

Mainstream Rock
OOTS #3 on "Most new and active" chart

Triple A
OOTS up 2 spots to #10

Mediaguide did not update was usual this week. No sign of OOTS on BB. The song has disappeared from Alternative radio already, but it's picking up play and stations on Adult Top 40 and Triple A and Mainstream Rock. What this means is that the best chance for OOTS again looks to be on Adult Top 40/Triple A. Sometimes made it to #15 on this chart but also had a long, 10 week run. That was enough to get Sometimes onto the BB Hot 100, albeit just for a short 3 weeks. OOTS will have to do better than 15 on Adult Top 40, one of the 4 to 5 major radio formats, if it is to break into mainstream radio.

I hope the song is released for download with a good b-side included. We'll see.

Believe, do u know if and when they will release oots ? i have heared 20 december....it was only for Canada?Thanx!

No word on release

Tallarico said:
Believe, do u know if and when they will release oots ? i have heared 20 december....it was only for Canada?Thanx!

I can't find anything on a potential release date for Canada, N.A., or R.O.W., but then again, the video announcement was actually made at a U2 concert two days before it premiered. I think it will be released to R.O.W. in early 2006, and I just hope it's made available for download in the U.S. so it can chart on the BB Hot 100.

As for the Hot 100, I think OOTS might make it onto the chart (barely) if it can crack the Top 15 on Adult Top 40/Hot AC. Right now, it sits at about 50 on this radio format, but it has been rising steadily. More awards and a download release would clinch a landing on the Hot 100, IMO, but I've seen nothing to indicate that there will be a download available for the single version. The recent Johnny Cash "Wanderer Tribute" would make for a great b-side, though...and Mercy is still out there as a potential b-side...

I'm not sure where this 20 December release date is coming from. There is nothing listed in upcoming releases on umusic.ca, and they are usually pretty good at listing releases in advance.

I have a hard time believing that there would be no announcement five days before the release date.

I'm definitely starting to think that this was a radio only release as far an North America is concerned.

I guess this is "Week 4" for OOTS, and with mediabase.com being my only source of information on a daily basis, I was getting a little concerned. However, non-members can only see the Top 20 or maybe 30, and if a song is no longer "taking off", you can lose visibility to it if it's between #21 and #40 on radio formats, which turned out to be the case!

First, here is the most up-to-date chart info our there, from mediabase.com:

Triple A Rock
OOTS Up 2 spots to #9, +35 plays

From Mediaguide.com (strictly airplay, any song, no time limit):

Triple A Rock
OOTS Up 4 spots to #9, +40 plays
COBL re-enters at #36

Mainstream Rock
Vertigo re-enters at #49

Radio & Records (Coorelates closest to BB; used for AT Top 40):

Triple A
OOTS stays at #10 w/bullet

Mainstream Rock
OOTS at #31, or #1 on "New and most active"

Hot AC (Adult Top 40)
OOTS debuts at #40

So, while OOTS has not made huge jumps on any of the charts over the past week, it is still rising steadily and if it can continue rising on AAA Rock and Adult Top 40, it may debut on BB's Adult Top 40...possibly even tomorrow. If it actually gains traction and jumps to the Top 20, then we can look towards a potential Hot 100 debut. Not sure what happened to the video...perhaps the video channels don't like the idea of having musicians make their song videos available for download.

Now would be about the right time for U2 to release the single version of OOTS, along with a b-side or two, available for download on i-tunes with some online promotion. That might result in a Hot 100 debut in itself. I've heard nothing about any release, though, but I do think it will be commercially released to the R.O.W. early next year. BB update tomorrow!

Merry Christmas, chart watchers!

I don't see any reason for them to release any more singles in NA at this point. Next week will be too late for a single to drive holiday sales of the album or DVD, and they obviously aren't concerned about the US singles chart.

I just don't see them making any more of a push in NA. The OOTS video was released on iTunes with ZERO fanfare. It doesn't even show up in iTunes "Just Added" pane.

I can definitely see them releasing OOTS for R.O.W., but frankly it's been so long since they toured South America or Australia/New Zealand that the shows don't really need any single support. Not that I wouldn't like to see a few more b-sides

Last edited:
Week 5 for OOTS is kinda sketchy since some of the best radio-play charts, like Radio and Records, have used this week to compile and show their year-end charts. Mediabase and Mediaguide have both, however, so here's what we know about OOTS:

Triple A Rock
OOTS up from 9 to 8

All mediabase charts show the Top 20 or Top 30 played songs on each format, and for now, OOTS is not in the Top 20 or 30 on any other format besides Triple A. Mediaguide, however, does show the Top 40, or maybe even Top 50, songs played on each format. Radio & Records is probably the most accurate and extensive radio play chart available, but this week they showed year-end charts versus last week's charts. Here's what we have from Mediaguide:

Mainstream Rock
OOTS debuts at #37 on the Top 50 chart

Triple A Rock
OOTS stays at #9 in a week where all songs lost plays (probably due to Christmas themed songs getting airplay).

So that's it for OOTS this week. Not sure what happened to the video, but I don't watch VH-1 or MTV and they have not updated their video charts online in quite a while. I'm surprised it's not in heavy rotation at least on VH-1, but maybe the song is being held back a little bit in anticipation for a worldwide release of both the song and video to support the 4th leg. I expect that to happen in the next 2-3 weeks, especially considering how good the video is, which is doing well on i-tunes, anyway.

Cheer's to all the chart watcher's and Happy New Year!

beLIEve

Back
Top Bottom