Opening act?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Kings of Leon were relatively unknown to the unwashed masses when they opened the first leg of Vertigo.

Obviously I'd love to see Lykee Li as that means they'd be able to do The Troubles in all its glory. Alas, I'm going to guess no on that one.

Someone like Hozier or Glen Hansard would be fun. A full on Irish celebration. I wouldn't be shocked if it were Hozier.

Uh, sorry, what charted hits does she have again?

In his last FIVE albums, k-os has had actual certifiable chart and radio success, and his music will appeal to a wider base of people. He's releasing a SIXTH album Jan 2015. The show you are referring to must have been an anomoly, he's had no problem selling theatres and festivals across North America for years.

http://www.sealegscollective.com/wp...65248985862_7024998273460455257_n-600x506.jpg
Lykke Li billed 4th on Sunday at Montreal's Osheaga Festival 2014.

http://exclaim.ca/images/osheaga3.jpg
K-Os is about 52 names down on the 2013 Osheaga poster.

So you're comparing a composite full weekend poster with a list for one day of the festival? Uh..

We can argue this till were blue in the face but the fact is that more North Americans will probably have heard a few of his songs than hers. He's been on the radio for years, in different formats. He has a strong following, college especially. She's getting to be the hot item, good for her, but I think she'd be a tougher sell constantly across America. Maybe I need to see her live.

Sent from my ass crack

So you're comparing a composite full weekend poster with a list for one day of the festival? Uh..

We can argue this till were blue in the face but the fact is that more North Americans will probably have heard a few of his songs than hers. He's been on the radio for years, in different formats. He has a strong following, college especially. She's getting to be the hot item, good for her, but I think she'd be a tougher sell constantly across America. Maybe I need to see her live.

Lykke Li announces 2014 North American tour | Consequence of Sound

k-os Concert Map | setlist.fm

She's playing bigger US venues than him. She also has a show that can project in big venues whereas K-Os seems to prefer smaller venues.

BTW, she was 12th on the 2014 Osheaga composite poster.

Or we can go by Last.fm:

k-os: 236,149 listeners

Lykke Li: 1,340,943 listeners

I've heard of k-os, probably stumbled across him while looking for new hip hop at some point, but I can't say I know anyone that listens to him.

Oh well. I've been listening to the both of them from pretty much the beginning of their careers, also. I haven't seen her live, and have seen him. I think he's more exciting and diverse. I think she's interesting. I've long championed him here and elsewhere and honestly believe he is just poorly managed. :shrug:

Sent from my ass crack

I've honestly not heard of K-os until I saw you mention him. Lykke Li I've seen live twice now, and she's phenomenal. I will check him out.

U2 has rarely been conventional when it comes to selecting opening acts, so I'm really curious who we will get. I just pray whoever plays LA is someone I like since I will be seeing them 4 times.

Another small band that has a big sound that could work as an opener, The Joy Formidable.

Sent from my iPad using U2 Interference

just got into George Ezra but not convinced about him in an arena...as ever would go for White Lies

I would almost bet money that Noel Gallagher will open some dates probably in the US.

Yeah,Noel's already said in interviews around the time SOI was being finished in London that it had been agreed. Noel was with Bono alot around this time. Noel also has a new album coming out next year.

I can only see him doing American dates as he is big enough on his own to fill arena's in europe.

Why can't Noel do his own national tour in the US? Last one was with Snooze Patrol.

Noel can do his own US tour but i dont think he could tour all the big arenas like u2 do. It would be more scaled down for Noel. Most parts in europe Noel could play the biggest arena's

Maybe Noel's bigger in America then i think?

Saw them twice, too. I was obviously the opening act winner on that tour.

Same two openers for me as well. Which has always left me bitter, because that tour had so many better options. Couldn't believe I ended up with DC and Institute.

Here we go again... For the past so many years, U2 hardly had artists opening that NEED U2.
Like BB King, Snow Patrol, Jay-Z, Oasis, Lenny Kravitz and Muse "needed U2". What's your point?

I do hope that Lykke Li jumps on board.:up:

That's my point, as well. I know they've had some smaller bands open, but they definitely don't appear to be the norm.

And the idea that Muse opened for them to increase their fanbase in the South amuses me, because I had several friends from college attend the Dallas show with me just because they were Muse fans. The first time I ever saw Muse was at a festival in Dallas two years prior to that, as well.

Noel can do his own US tour but i dont think he could tour all the big arenas like u2 do. It would be more scaled down for Noel. Most parts in europe Noel could play the biggest arena's

Maybe Noel's bigger in America then i think?

I think Noel can do really well in 2-3,000 seaters in North America. Don't think he's done a coast-coast headline solo tour yet.

So far in terms of opening acts I have seen the following:

ZooTv - Primus - weird choice but I was into that sort of music at the time so whateves
PopMart - Third Eye Blind - sucked so very much
Elevation - PJ Harvey and Garbage- I have no recollection good or bad for Harvey and Garbage was just kind of meh
Vertigo - Dashboard Confessional - KILL IT WITH FIRE
360 - Snow Patrol and Interpol - both were ok

Honestly, I'm ok with an up and coming act as long as its not some one-hit wonder or whatever the kids are into now.

Same two openers for me as well. Which has always left me bitter, because that tour had so many better options. Couldn't believe I ended up with DC and Institute.

That's my point, as well. I know they've had some smaller bands open, but they definitely don't appear to be the norm.

And the idea that Muse opened for them to increase their fanbase in the South amuses me, because I had several friends from college attend the Dallas show with me just because they were Muse fans. The first time I ever saw Muse was at a festival in Dallas two years prior to that, as well.

For the past few tours in LA:
360: Black Eyed Peas and Lenny Kravitz
Vertigo: Kings of Leon and Damian Marley with Flag guy.
Elevation: PJ Harvey and No Doubt
Popmart: Rage Against the Machine (still bitter I missed that)

Point being, lesser known acts have opened their arena shows and many times LA gets crap opening acts compared to the rest of the world. Still bitter about Damian Marley when other folks had Kanye. Although I suppose it could have been worse.

I'd be down for Noel Gallagher's High Flying Birds. Really dug their first album, and am looking forward to the follow up.

The only acts I remember anything about in 30+ shows I've seen since 2001 are: Kanye, Damian Marley, No Doubt, and Garbage. The rest have all just melded into a blurry memory of homogeneous bullshit

Sent from my ass crack

Zoo TV 1992 ... I honestly do not remember. Public Enemy, maybe? That show is a blur.

PopMart 1997 ... um. They had a dude playing On Wisconsin as a flugelhorn solo. They were really shitty, and I am blanking on their name.

Vertigo ... Kings of Leon ( I didn't hate them like others did), Damien Marley (fun, but only because I was finally in the ellipse), Keane (loved them), Kanye West (was happy to get to see him)

360 ... Snow Patrol (yay, I like them), Black Eyed Peas (LOL), Lenny Kravitz (liked him a lot more than I thought I would), Interpol (I only saw about 20 minutes of their set, however), Reeve Carney's band (exactly), and Arcade Fire (one of the reasons I schlepped to Moncton)

I would not be surprised if they had someone big and bland like Imagine Dragons or Bastille.

Hozier is great in concert, I can attest. Lykke Li was ... kind of awkward, but I love her music. My absolute top wish list would be Elbow, but it's not going to happen in the US.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom