"One" from the "Miss Sarajevo" single

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

namkcuR

ONE love, blood, life
The live version of "One", on the "Miss Sarajevo" single(performed along with MS itself a two song show featuring Pavoratti on the first one), has to be the most moving and utterly cathartic version of "One" I have ever ever ever heard. I just feel like weeping every time I hear it.

yeah, i discovered it by accident back in 1996, when i bought the single. i just figured it would be a standard version of the song, but i actually had to pull my car over to the curb because i was in so much awe.

It's ironic that people consider this the definitive and best version of One. Clayton and Mullen aren't even on it, so it's not full U2. This just goes with what I was trying to say before that many here think that U2's best live versions of songs exclude Larry and Adam....

Staring At The Sun - Popheart Live EP
Sunday Bloody Sunday - Popmart Live in Mexico
Stay (Faraway, So Close!) - Elevation Live In Boston
One - Pavarotti and Friends for the Children of Bosnia

...even some "improved" versions of notable tracks like If You Wear That Velet Dress (Jools Holland) and Stay (Craig Armstrong) are lacking Clayton and Mullen.

Who cares if Clayton and Mullen had to take drum'n'bass lessons before the start of the POP recording sessions? Who cares if most of POP was conceptualized with a drum machine (thanks to Mullen's back woes) so Mullen's input perhaps was limited? Who cares if Clayton has been involved in U2's only drug bust? Who cares if Clayton missed a gig due to over-indulgence? Who cares if Clayton and Mullen are the only ones who never got married officially? Personally I don't care and I think the discrimination U2 fans show towards the two rearenders is uncalled for.

I think it is a downright insult to the brilliance of Clayton and Mullen to even suggest that the Modena version of One is the definitive version of One. Clayton and Mullen are part of what makes up One. Clayton and Mullen aren't mere lackeys of Bono and Edge - they are right up there with the two. They are all equal in U2.

Clayton and Mullen made a U2 top ten hit without the need of their bandmates - with Mission Impossible. And Clayton and Mullen actually performed One without Bono and Edge - in the Automatic Baby collaboration - and that version is arguably superior to the Modena version.

Let's not underestimate the two members of U2's rhythm section. They are what makes a U2 song a U2 song. Any song where they are absent means that the song can hardly be even considered a definitive version.

Cheers,

J

While some people imply that the definitive version of One is that which exludes Mullen and Clayton - I beg to disagree that their absence actually enhances the song. I think that the definitive version of One is a version that actually includes Mullen and Clayton.

Oh get off it, jick. :down: Quit constructing arguments on false premises and misleading statements just for the sake of argument. For one, I think you'll find that the majority of people prefer the full band version of Sunday Bloody Sunday - in fact I think we had a best SBS live thread a while ago, and the Rattle and Hum version came out on top, followed by the Under a Blood Red Sky version. Secondly, you only listed 4 songs. That's not exactly an overwhelming majority of favorite live songs without Mullen and Clayton. You are the ONLY person implying that a definitive version must exclude Mullen and Clayton. And if I recall correctly, you're also the only person who has brought up Clayton's drug bust or missed gig as a sign of weakness (didn't you in fact have a thread about Clayton and Mullen being a detriment to U2?) Not being married? Please.

Your argument (and doublespeak) are transparent.

jick said:
And Clayton and Mullen actually performed One without Bono and Edge - in the Automatic Baby collaboration - and that version is arguably superior to the Modena version.

All that performance is a contender for is 'worst rendition of One ever'.

The Modena performance is beautiful, definitely, but it doesn't hold a candle to the mindblowing 23 September 1997, Popmart Sarajevo performance.

*sigh*

Jick, no one is putting down Larry or Adam by enjoying the live version from Modena. No one is saying them not being present is what makes it a special song. (it differs from a band version anyway, since it uses an orchestra)

You seem to care about all those things you listed, since you often mentioned them - you started a similar thread a while ago, except you now stick up for the two.

I find it admiring that with all the success and fame, they still thought they can lift the level of their skill and were willing to take lessons.
Does using drum machines make POP a less of a band album in your view?
Yes, Adam had a problem with drugs and alcohol. And yes, he has been clean and sober for years now. Missing one (1) koncert in over 25 years (including pre-Boy shows) is excellent statistic for a rock band if you ask me.
Larry's been living with Ann since high school years, and I don't think not tying the knot takes anything away from their relationship. I think Adam is technically single anyway.

No one is discriminating Larry or Adam or insulting them, and I'm sure no one thinks they are lackeys to Bono and Edge.

i love that version but the one from the special olympics also sounds amazing and i think it's a toss-up. :drool:

It's ironic that people consider this the definitive and best version of One. Clayton and Mullen aren't even on it, so it's not full U2. This just goes with what I was trying to say before that many here think that U2's best live versions of songs exclude Larry and Adam....

...even some "improved" versions of notable tracks like If You Wear That Velet Dress (Jools Holland) and Stay (Craig Armstrong) are lacking Clayton and Mullen.

Who cares if Clayton and Mullen had to take drum'n'bass lessons before the start of the POP recording sessions? Who cares if most of POP was conceptualized with a drum machine (thanks to Mullen's back woes) so Mullen's input perhaps was limited? Who cares if Clayton has been involved in U2's only drug bust? Who cares if Clayton missed a gig due to over-indulgence? Who cares if Clayton and Mullen are the only ones who never got married officially? Personally I don't care and I think the discrimination U2 fans show towards the two rearenders is uncalled for.

I think it is a downright insult to the brilliance of Clayton and Mullen to even suggest that the Modena version of One is the definitive version of One. Clayton and Mullen are part of what makes up One. Clayton and Mullen aren't mere lackeys of Bono and Edge - they are right up there with the two. They are all equal in U2.

Clayton and Mullen made a U2 top ten hit without the need of their bandmates - with Mission Impossible. And Clayton and Mullen actually performed One without Bono and Edge - in the Automatic Baby collaboration - and that version is arguably superior to the Modena version.

Let's not underestimate the two members of U2's rhythm section. They are what makes a U2 song a U2 song. Any song where they are absent means that the song can hardly be even considered a definitive version.

Cheers,

J

While some people imply that the definitive version of One is that which exludes Mullen and Clayton - I beg to disagree that their absence actually enhances the song. I think that the definitive version of One is a version that actually includes Mullen and Clayton.

Blah blah blah blah blah. They're all equal, yes, but let's not kid ourselves. Bono and Edge are the songwriting team. I don't care if every album booklet says "music: U2". All that means is Bono and Edge think up a melody and harmony an lyrics and Adam and Larry submit whatever changes, modifications, and additions that they feel are appropriate. Do you honestly argue that songs like 'Streets' or 'SBS' or 'One' or 'Pride' or 'Walk On' or anything like that weren't originally concieved by Bono and Edge? I'm not trying to put anyone down, I think Larry and Adam are one hell of a rhythm section, and when they do add their input to songs, it's usually for the better.

That said, this version of "One" has something no other version I've heard has: an orchestra behind it. Anyway, I love this version.

P.S.The Popmart version of SBS doesn't include Bono either. Does that mean we're discriminating against Bono?

Last edited:
jick said:

Cheers,

J

and i think the Slane version of Wake Up Dead Man is the best version of that song, and the accoustic Stuck is the best of that song... who gives a crap?

SBS from Mexico or Sarajevo doesn't have BONO... so where's your lambasting of people for that? For my money the "Fuck the revolution" SBS is the best hands down, with Slane as a close second... full band. as haunting as the Edge solo SBS were, any version without larry's drum cadance doesn't qualify for me...

to each his own... some songs just sound better stripped down to almost nothing. SATS is clearly better accoustic... it just is. but if the band tried to do something like Out of Control without Adam's bassline it would sound stupid...

Cheers,

H

And as for the Modena version of One... it's not the exclusion of Adam and Larry... it's the inclusion of a full orchestra which makes the song so beautiful.

another favorite version of the song is the automatic baby version... which doesn't include bono or edge so :madspit:

Last edited:
i broke in tears when i listened to this live version for the first time, all the violins and especially his voice are breathtaking....simply the best best best version of all the times, there's really bono's heart and blood in it

namkcuR said:
The live version of "One", on the "Miss Sarajevo" single(performed along with MS itself a two song show featuring Pavoratti on the first one), has to be the most moving and utterly cathartic version of "One" I have ever ever ever heard. I just feel like weeping every time I hear it.

it's my favourite version of One.
It brings tears to my eyes every time!

The Slane Castle version of SBS is (in MY opinion) appalling. One of the worst, I think. It's slow, groggy and too low. The best versions are by far the 'Fuck the Revolution' version from R+H and (in close second) the version performed in Lorely for Rockpalast -or- the version performed at Red Rocks...

Now onto 'One', I am yet to hear the live version from the 'Miss Sarajevo' single, so I have to say I still think the original studio version is the best...

But Jick, although I honestly find your posts rather amusing and quite refreshing on a place like this, it really does you no favours to suddenly produce an argument based on nothing...:eyebrow:

Someone claims a version of 'One' is superior to any other, and you jump down his throat and come up with a load of crap about people dismissing Adam Clayton and Larry Mullen simply because they don't perform on it?! That really is quite stupid...

And just so you know...I think Bono and Edge appearing together on stage without Adam Clayton and Larry Mullen sound LIBERATED! Just listening to them perform 'All I Want is You' alone on Italian TV without those two jerks made me wonder why they don't cut a record of accoustic numbers and tour WITHOUT THEM AS WELL!! [/sarcasm]

Last edited:
jick, saying that "miss sarajevo's" one version is the best does not mean u2 sound better without bass or drums, by all means!:wink: all the orchestral arrangement (like headache said) makes the song incredible, it wasn't the band playing it, it was bono and edge with 20 strings and violins. it wasn't U2, but the song was one! :wink:

babyman said:
jick, saying that "miss sarajevo's" one version is the best does not mean u2 sound better without bass or drums, by all means!:wink: all the orchestral arrangement (like headache said) makes the song incredible, it wasn't the band playing it, it was bono and edge with 20 strings and violins. it wasn't U2, but the song was one! :wink:

very well said!

namkcuR said:

I totally completely agree this the best version of One ever period. I became a hard core fan after hearing this version. It was my introduction to live U2 recordings, and I bought every studio album soon after...I'm sorry you got attacked by a vicious troll for stating a lovely and honest opinion.

seeing u2 live pushes you to another level of love for the band. If youre a casual fan, you become a real fan. If youre a big fan, you become a fanatic. Which is the state Im in right now, they put on the best show ever.

Back
Top Bottom