October 28 - Vancouver BC Canada

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
sorry, confused.... so do i need a passport to get back into US?

Sad to say considering you are ALREADY a U.S. Citizen you would think the AssTards would say just let you show your Driver's Liscense but yes you will still need a passport to enter your OWN country:down::down:

I did talk to a lady at a Post Office a few weeks ago trying to get one who told me something about a "cheap" version passport for short travelling maybe Cori would know the details

I did talk to a lady at a Post Office a few weeks ago trying to get one who told me something about a "cheap" version passport for short travelling maybe Cori would know the details

.... I would? :lol:

Sorry, no. I just know a passport is now required if you want to get back into the US.

crap. my roommate has re-entered from mexico several times in the past few months using her drivers license. surely border control is the same in the north and south???

:shrug: Not sure what counts as "other valid travel document."

Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative

AIR TRAVEL

ALL PERSONS traveling by air outside of the United States are required to present a passport book or other valid travel document to enter or re-enter the United States.

Between that copy/paste and the one posted earlier today, sounds like you need a passport whether you're driving, flying, taking the train or coming by boat.

crap. my roommate has re-entered from mexico several times in the past few months using her drivers license. surely border control is the same in the north and south???

If your roommate travelled after june of this year and got through the border without a passport, they either must of had a special "enhanced drivers license" (which you have to specifically apply for, and isn't just a normal DL), or the customs agent wasn't doing their job.

there are only 5 states or so that offer the enhanced license and they are all northern states. she doesn't have one. seems like my dreams are getting dashed.

The passport thing has been in effect for a while now, so I'm sure their "mercy period" for letting you in without a passport is over. You may think it sucks to have to have a passport to get back into your own country, but Canada is a different country, and it makes sense to need a passport to get back home from a "foreign" country, no matter how close the border is to you. :shrug: Good luck!

I found a GA for Vancouver! :dance:

Woohoo!

I won't be coming to any gatherings, as I'm too wiped out from Vegas and have a crazy week ahead of me, but hope you guys have fun!

Ahead of time, I'm sorry that this is a stupid question.

So the last time I went to Canada from the US (Montreal), I paid for everything with a credit card. I probably won't do that this time, because I'll at least buy things like a t-shirt at the concert. So do I need to change my money? The places I've been in Mexico and the Caribbean have all accepted US dollars, but I feel like that's mostly because they're really touristy.

So the last time I went to Canada from the US (Montreal), I paid for everything with a credit card. I probably won't do that this time, because I'll at least buy things like a t-shirt at the concert. So do I need to change my money? The places I've been in Mexico and the Caribbean have all accepted US dollars, but I feel like that's mostly because they're really touristy.

Everywhere/one should accept your US currency, they will probably do it on par as the dollars are so close right now :D

Yeah, I rarely change my money over when I go to Canada. Although i've learned to bring cash and not use the debit card, as my bank charges me a ridiculous fee to use it in Canada. :grumpy:

Today's exchange rate - 1.00 USD = 1.06 CAD

It was pretty close to par a couple weeks ago but as pointed out most places that accept US currency in Vancouver will more than likely exchange it at par because it's so close.

Must be mentioned if it's someone's first visit to Canada, if you do use US dollars here you will obviously get Canadian currency back. I've found over the years that some visitors scratch their heads why they would get Canadian currency back instead of their US. I think people on this forum though are bright enough to already know that:) Some non-members perusing this forum perhaps not though;)

Most likely.. but depending how much you spend, if you're going to spend say... $500 in Canada... do you really want to give away $25... that's like another tax...

Just be aware that if you're using US cash at the stadium, they'll probably give you a worse exchange rate there than they would at a bank or currency exchange counter, as they can get away with gouging you at the stadium. I could be wrong, but that seems to be my memory of friends using US cash at events here in the past. Hopefully it won't be too bad of a deal! :)

a couple quick questions as this is the first show I'll be seeing on this tour.

When to queue?
My girlfriend and I are driving up from Portland and staying in Seattle the night before the show. We were planning on getting in line around 1 or 2, is that too late to guarantee a spot in the inner circle? Initially we had planned on camping like I did for the last tour when I had GA's but a few friends said that's definitely not necessary for this tour. Can someone who's been to a few shows already shed some light?

How close is too close?
I always want to be as close to the stage as possible but seeing as the stage/screen are so enormous does being in the inner circle ruin your view of the "bigger show" if you will? I was looking for photos showing what the screen looks like from the inner circle but haven't been able to find any of that perspective.

thoughts?

At the shows I've been to so far, you can get into the pit even after the gates have opened. In Vegas, we got in at about 6 or 6:30, and there was still a lot of room in the pit. However, it was in the middle, and probably got pretty crowded in there by show time.

If you want a spot along the front or back rails inside the pit, or the front rail outside the pit, you should plan on getting there early in the morning. If you show up at 1 or 2, you'll definitely get INTO the pit, but I couldn't tell you if you can get a good spot at that point.

From what I've heard, right in the front of the pit is too close to see the Claw, and the stage is higher than it was on Vertigo, so you might be looking up a lot of the time. I've heard people recommend the back of the pit.

Also, does anyone know the policy on getting back into the US without a passport? I will be driving and am a US citizen.
Thanks!

If you are flying, then you absolutely need a passport (possibly the passport card will work).

If coming in by land or sea, an enhanced driver's license/non-driver ID will work. I believe only Vermont, NY, Michigan and Washington state issue those at present. I do have an enhanced ID which I will use for the border crossing (coming by bus) but since this is my 1st time crossing with it I also have my passport, just in case...

I just got an email from Ticketmaster Canada with a whole slew of information about the venue and the show. Pretty cool, actually. Even if it does say "U2 is coming to town NEXT WEEK." :lol:

The only thing it says about cameras is a bullet point on the "Disallowed Items," and there it just says "no professional cameras." So it sounds like it'll be like other shows, where you can bring in the little ones, but nothing fancy.

I'm going to come by the GA line tomorrow afternoon and see who's around - I'll look for you! :)

This is seriously the most low-key tour city thread I've seen. Where are all the party people?

Everyone travel safe tomorrow, and have fun in line - stay warm! I'm driving up in the afternoon and waltzing into the show after the line has been let in. I like GA my way. :)

I don't have a printer, so I just drew a map of the downtown area between my hotel and the stadium. :nerd: I think I'll be walking it at least once!

I got that email too, cori. It made me laugh - um, the show is TOMORROW! :lol: Maybe I'll run into you there! If not, have a blast! :D

This concert is going to be so awesome. After the sucky day that I've had today, it will be so nice to let lose for a few hours and have a blast seeing my favourite band in my home city. :D

Re: cameras, like cori said, you should have no problems if you have a basic point and shoot camera. I've brought mine in to many events at BC Place before with no problems at all.

Well, I would be in a party mood had my daughter (9) not been diagnosed with n1h1. She was supposed to be with me on this one. :sad:

We spent 4 hours in the er last night. She is home now, on the mend. She's been fighting this since Friday.

I'm going solo on this. :reject:

I really don't know how to feel. Hopefully, I just get "open" and meet some of you in the line. :wave:

(I'm going to get Seattle GAs for her and take her on a road trip without knowing about it. At the end of school too!)

pardon me... Fuckin' Gov't!!! if only we had our shots a week ago. :angry: assholes!!! get with it fuckers!!! too many kids are in a dangerous position. JESUS FUCKIN' HARPER!!! Speed this up! :rant:

Well, I would be in a party mood had my daughter (9) not been diagnosed with n1h1. She was supposed to be with me on this one. :sad:

We spent 4 hours in the er last night. She is home now, on the mend. She's been fighting this since Friday.

I'm going solo on this. :reject:

I really don't know how to feel. Hopefully, I just get "open" and meet some of you in the line. :wave:

(I'm going to get Seattle GAs for her and take her on a road trip without knowing about it. At the end of school too!)

pardon me... Fuckin' Gov't!!! if only we had our shots a week ago. :angry: assholes!!! get with it fuckers!!! too many kids are in a dangerous position. JESUS FUCKIN' HARPER!!! Speed this up! :rant:

Sorry to hear that. My 9 yr old daughter was pretty sick last week and she's starting to feel better. She claims she is well enough to go to the concert..so it sounds like it will be a go.

Hope she gets better soon!

Well it's Van...so we're all probably too stoned. lol

:lol: I went to the second Vancouver show on the Vertigo tour, and it was the most pot smoke I've ever smelled at a concert.

Also, it was probably the worst crowd in GA I've dealt with - a lot of shoving assholes up front, and this complete jerkwad parked himself next to me for the whole concert (I would have moved, but it was the one spot where I could see). He wouldn't freaking shut up during the whole concert, trying to talk to me and making stupid jokes, and he totally picked a fight with this poor woman who was standing nearby minding her own business.

I don't hold it against Canada, though. ;)

:hug: That stinks! At least Seattle is nearby so she'll have her chance next summer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom