October 25 - Rose Bowl, Los Angeles

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I've seen 20+ shows going back to Joshua Tree. I had made a decision to skip this stadium tour but my 13 year old daughter wanted to go.

This was the most incredibly disorganized event I have ever been to. Where was the security running the GA line? Probably 3000 people in line, some drinking since 8am and you're holding it together with a line of yellow tape and a couple guys working the line in the front? WTF? It became a massive tidal wave of gate crashers.

My daughter was terrified - she says she has never been as scared in her life - and had bloody nose in the surge of pushing and shoving and people yelling at each other trying to get in. It could have easily gotten further out of control. People could have been seriously hurt. People could have gotten killed. Not fun and completely irresponsible of the band that this wasn't better organized.

The pit wasn't any better. Zero organization and no security. No ability to move even an inch in any direction. Wall to wall people. Not kid friendly the way it was on Elevation or Vertigo. We had to leave and go to the back after a while because she was tired of looking at the back of some guy's t-shirt and most of the people around us were assholes and there was no place to move to.

By far, my worst U2 experience. I wish we hadn't gone.

It was my first U2 show and I've been a fan since 1992... I met great people while in our GA line, Tim (Lyrical Drug) and an English guy. We made the most of it since we were there at 7:30am.

The performance was just awesome. My girlfriend and I ended up being right outside the catwalk/circle so we still had a great view of the band and also had a great view of the screen. It will be exciting seeing how the energy translated to video.

The venue seemed to have poor planning on getting people in. It was just insanity. But yeah, I didn't expect it to be easy. I really didn't know what to expect! We saw a couple people pass out. We saw people shove their way to front and be rude and get called out on it then kicked out.

This show just proved that we really don't need to line up at 6 am to get a good spot - we entered the venue at 11:30 or so, and managed to get an inner circle, inner rail spot, Adam's side. There was absolutely no organization, the number system was not really honored, and it turned into a free for all once the gates were opened. :crack:

And during the show, our little group comprising of myself, BonoFox1, Zurupa_Fit and Doreen and d darroch were constantly getting pushed and shoved about, with people entering the circle AFTER the B.E.P had finished and still managing to get to the front. Annoying much?

Ah yes, the show itself? In one word: AMAZING. A mix up of emotions.... Stuck was great, Ultraviolet... Zooey and I got teary during Walk On. The concert made all the discomfort worth it in the end.

And during the show, our little group comprising of myself, BonoFox1, Zurupa_Fit and Doreen and d darroch were constantly getting pushed and shoved about, with people entering the circle AFTER the B.E.P had finished and still managing to get to the front. Annoyong much?

When people started pushing their way up front to us, who were there holding our spots firm, everyone started an "asshole" chant and started pointing at the people that were pushing and shoving. That got them kicked out. It was funny.

What wasn't funny was seeing an old man pass out and fall a couple times.

When people started pushing their way up front to us, who were there holding our spots firm, everyone started an "asshole" chant and started pointing at the people that were pushing and shoving. That got them kicked out. It was funny.

What wasn't funny was seeing an old man pass out and fall a couple times.

Yep. And the woman who was crying and "wanted some fresh air", and took over my rail spot and said "I think I'll stand here for the rest of the show, I like this spot better than being in the middle with all the people around :sad:"

Needless to say, it didn't work and she had to be pulled out of the pit :lol:

^^^
what a fantastic review!!!!

What a great story Outsider--so happy for you!

Thank you!!! I couldn't sleep at all when I got home. :D

and Outsider we saw your sign but didn't know that was you. :D

And we saw your sign from the back of the circle, Outsider!

Really!!!?? I hope I didnt hold it up for too long and annoy people! Not my intention. It was so exciting!!!!!!!!

V, that is such a beautiful story! :hug: :hug: :hug:

When you called me after the show I was looking for my Aunt, walking to the car, and Rich was talking to me. :lol: So I heard you say something about Larry, Edge and signs, but I couldn't fully connect the dots.

Your experience sounds amazing and I'm so glad you had the show of your life! :hi5:
:hug: I wanted to go hug you and the gang! lol It was unreal! I can't wait to see your pics especially during UTEOTW!!

Btw, I'm writing from way up on cloud 9

Yep. And the woman who was crying and "wanted some fresh air", and took over my rail spot and said "I think I'll stand here for the rest of the show, I like this spot better than being in the middle with all the people around :sad:"

Needless to say, it didn't work and she had to be pulled out of the pit :lol:

:applaud:

I was REALLY lucky in my spot. I was around a bunch of short women and we all decided to befriend each other and not let ANYONE in our area.
One woman tried to shove her way up but we just moved her along. No other problems with people shoving or anything. We had room to dance and jump. (by "room" I mean we all weren't pressed on each other.

I'm SO sorry to hear others had problems with cutters. :(

I want to watch the rebroadcast!

was there. It was okay. I had a good time. I really just wanted to see the spectacle on a rock bottom ticket. Was going to go see Ennio Morricone at the Bowl but he cancelled. My 2nd U2 show, the first being 10/30/92 Dodger Stadium.

Here are some notes I posted on other boards -

It was okay but it was a total clusterfuck with so many people. After taking a leak and grabbing popcorn (heading out during the last Black Eyed Peas song) I had to wait 30 mins just to get back to my seat. And I sorta "cut" because I didn't feel like looking for the end of the line. As a matter of fact when I wondering if I was going to miss the opening, suddenly opening with 3 new songs made sense.

They should have discarded the notion of another monument to their own popularity and done 2 shows in a smaller stadium. Speaking of which, they are playing Anaheim June 6.

That said, it sounded really good almost in the back but I was almost parralel with a relay tower. And of course, the replay looks like a totally different show.

Highlights were The Unforgettable Fire -> City Of Blinding Lights.

The new stuff didn't sound that bad when I was actually there, but most of the 96,000 people were in front of me and singing along so it was easier to pick up on the vibe. Not sure if I could sit thru them on You Tube.

And it was a surprisingly tight ticket for a stadium show. I did alright though but it took a bit of persistance.

Not fun and completely irresponsible of the band that this wasn't better organized.

Sorry to hear that, but I don't think stuff like this is the band's fault.

At the concerts I went to, GA lines were organised pretty well, but being in the pit is always the same. Of course it's tight and you get crushed and have to deal with a lot of stupid people, that's just like it is in front of the stage. I would never take a child in there. Such a huge concert is not a playground. Unless you're standing in the (Red) zones or directly at the rail, chances for a kid to see really well are minimal.
I hope your daughter is ok.

:applaud:

I was REALLY lucky in my spot. I was around a bunch of short women and we all decided to befriend each other and not let ANYONE in our area.
One woman tried to shove her way up but we just moved her along. No other problems with people shoving or anything. We had room to dance and jump. (by "room" I mean we all weren't pressed on each other.

I'm SO sorry to hear others had problems with cutters. :(

I want to watch the rebroadcast!

It doesn't help that I'm really short, but I was with a group of amazing people and we all looked out for each other too :D

Cutters :madwife:

All in all, it was a great show and a great GA experience again and I wouldn't trade it for anything! :applaud:

HOLY CRAP!!!!!! My Larry sign! From the YouTube rebroadcast!!!

IMG_4590.jpg

:ohmy:
:heart:

What a great story Outsider! :love: Sorry we never got to see you on Sunday! But really happy for you :hug:

Westport - sorry to hear about your daughter's experience. I hope she's okay. Give her a hug from Maddy & I. :hug:

David - you must have been on the rail about 10-20 people from us, more centered. We saw the old couple get pulled out after passing out/falling, and then the assholes getting removed. One other thing - during the show, 2 paramedics came thru our GA section heading towards the center as someone else must have taken ill. I couldn't see what happened once they passed us.

I can't think straight to post much more. Maybe later. I need lunch & a shower. And a long long nap :)

Finally home, but I won't really have time to get on here and talk for a day or two (gotta catch up on non-U2 life!). Just a quick check-in. Sorry to hear about the Rose Bowl GA mess - we had a couple friends in the middle of it too. My day up until the gig was a day from HELL (long story, but it started in Vegas and for a while we weren't sure we'd even make it to the Rose Bowl). The line up process in my opinion meant virtually nothing on this tour. We didn't get to the Rose Bowl until 6:00 or so and walked into the stadium, and then straight into the inner circle on Edge's side (stood about 5 feet from Barbara Streisand for a while). Left later in the show to experience the big picture from the back of the floor. Nice to meet so many nice people in both LA and Vegas. Anaheim!

What a show...... :hyper:

Got there at 7 AM, only to find that my #228 from the previous night was to just be disregarded. I was now #414. Not horrible. I had a great great time all day in the GA line hanging out with zooropa_fit, nicv, redrocks, fitz, i move in mysterious ways, d ray, kafrun, my mom :)lol:), redkat, dana, d darroch and many more :D
Once the line started moving up, it became a mass mob with no order. Security was nowhere to be found. People who were number 1167 were moving up, integrating with the 200s, and people who were in the hundreds were getting pushed back to the second and third groups. Luckily, most of our group (minus Carlos and kaf) were kept together at the very front of the second group to be let in. Some people were kicked out of the first group for trying to barge their way in after security had blocked it off. :rolleyes: The nerve of some people....

Once our group got let in, it was just a mad dash. My mom and I stuck together the whole time, but were separated from the rest of our group. We ran into the stadium, paused to look up at the claw (which was freaking GORGEOUS :drool:), then tried to find a spot. We couldn't see any rail spots right away, but we soon heard Carlos yelling our names from an outer rail spot on Edge's side. We ran over there and he claimed he was my dad so we could get the rail with him :lol: :hug:. Long, tiresome wait before the BEP's came on. IMO, they were great! I guess it's because I actually like them....
Slash was freaking AMAZING! I think I started to cry when I saw him come on the stage :nerd:. My legs and arms got a good work-out during this set, jumping and screaming so much! Luckily, I realized my camera needed new batteries during this set as opposed to U2's, so I quickly changed them during a song I didn't know. During one of the songs, Will.I.Am (I believe it was him) started a crowd wave with cellphone lights. It was absolutely beautiful looking around the stadium as lights slowly came on in a wave. :heart:

After a long wait, U2 finally came on. :hyper: The crowd's energy was great! I don't have anything to compare it to, but I can't imagine it have being much better than this. One of the bridges stopped in front of us multiple times. Edge came out on it a few times and would walk right past us, but he didn't look down too much. Bono came over a few times as well, but he rarely stopped at our spot. During COBL, he was walking by us and then started into a sprint around the stage :D. Until The End Of The World was by far one of the coolest things EVER! Bono and Edge were on opposite bridges and the bridges were slowly moved toward each other as they reached out to touch hands, both leaning over the railing. I took a video, but I'm not sure you can tell what's going on. Somehow, Edge managed to play the guitar all the while that was going on! Crazy Tonight was much better than I anticipated. I got a great pic of Larry and Bono back-to-back. Most of my other pictures didn't turn out too well. After the song, Larry walked right by us. By Vertigo, Bono's voice had begun to sound like a chipmunk because my ears were so messed up! It went away toward the end of the show, but it was pretty funny hearing him do the 'Yeah Yeah Yeahs' at the end of Vertigo :lol:.

Well, there's not much more to say. It was an amazing show! I think I'll do seats for the Anaheim show because I really want to see how the claw looks in person. Pictures will be up later!

Slash was freaking AMAZING! I think I started to cry when I saw him come on the stage :nerd:.

You weren't the only one :hug: The last time I was at the Rose Bowl for a concert was to see Guns N Roses/Metallica/Motorhead in 1992, I was 15 and it was the first show I went to without adult supervision. I could see my seats from where I sat last night. So many great memories!!

A couple things that were fun for us. During Crazy Tonight, Larry did one mad run on his way back to the drum kit, but as he passed the 4 of us on the rail we screamed out to him and he just halted right there and smiled and played the djembe for us for awhile right in front of us :love:

Also when Adam passed once we bowed to him and I don't know if he isn't used to that on Edge's side or not because he looked down and paused and smiled :cute:

:reject: <--- first time on rail, iz excited.

Some photos I took.

IMG_1157_1.jpg

Top poking up on the left.

IMG_1170_1.jpg

The Claw from our seats behind the stage about halfway up the Bowl.

IMG_1172_1.jpg

A more close up view of the stage.

IMG_1177_1.jpg

Close up view of The Pit.

IMG_1179_1.jpg

Full Rose Bowl!

IMG_1189_1.jpg

Lit up!

Two points for my very short review. This was show 42 for me (since 1983) and I thought that ISHFWILF, might have been the best version I have ever heard. I thought that was a CLEAR highlight of the show, and 107K folks singing the entire first verse was amazing.

Other than that, I was disapointed with the crowd, during the "lesser" songs, they were very boring, folks in my section (7 rows off the floor, directly on side, GREAT $250 seats) sat often, and left early. Something was "off" that didn't seem as "off" in Vegas 2 nights earlier. However, something about being with 107K U2 fans was unbelievable, and I still had a great time, and thought OVERALL, it was a great show.

During one of the songs, Will.I.Am (I believe it was him) started a crowd wave with cellphone lights. It was absolutely beautiful looking around the stadium as lights slowly came on in a wave. :heart:

I got video of this, Maddy. And it was absolutely gorgeous. :love: So great getting to talk and hang out with you yesterday! :hug:

I would never take a child in there. Such a huge concert is not a playground. Unless you're standing in the (Red) zones or directly at the rail, chances for a kid to see really well are minimal.
I hope your daughter is ok.

I have to agree with you, Last. The Inner Circle is no place for a child. I think the youngest kid I saw in there was a boy around 7 or 8, and even then, his parents took him out way before the show was over.

:hug: I wanted to go hug you and the gang! lol It was unreal! I can't wait to see your pics especially during UTEOTW!!

I SO wanted to call you after to meet us all at the soundboard, but my phone battery was flashing red and I knew I still had to call my Aunt to see how her and my cousins were doing (they had seats and took the shuttle, but I wanted to check in with them and make sure they were ok). I'm bummed I didn't get to see you afterward. :sad:

I haven't looked at all my pics, but I don't think I got very good ones for UTEOTW. One of Edge came out cool if I can crop it, because it's mostly the hand of the guy in front of me. I had my camera on Continuous Shoot, but I couldn't see what I was shooting . . . so as Bono's bridge went over me, I was just hoping it would snap a good shot, but it didn't. Oh well, I guess I'll have to try again in Anaheim. :wink:

Oh, and real quick review, I thought the energy from the Rose Bowl audience was AMAZING, but I gotta go against the grain here and say that I think U2 were better in Vegas. Bono sounded better, they seemed looser and played to the audience more, rather than to cameras. Don't get me wrong, Rose Bowl was an AWESOME, FANTASTIC show . . . I just think Vegas was a touch or two better.

That is all for now.

I LOVE YOU GUYS (AND GALS)! :heart: :love: :heart:

Oh, and real quick review, I thought the energy from the Rose Bowl audience was AMAZING, but I gotta go against the grain here and say that I think U2 were better in Vegas. Bono sounded better, they seemed looser and played to the audience more, rather than to cameras. Don't get me wrong, Rose Bowl was an AWESOME, FANTASTIC show . . . I just think Vegas was a touch or two better.

I agree 100% with these statements, Fitz. Great to meet you (albeit briefly). See ya in Anaheim!

very cool to see everyone and get pictures...yes lila, you were the girl i referred to a few times in the other thread :wink:

go ahead and put me in the 'vegas was a bit better' group. i know they used phoenix & vegas to rehearse, but by the time pasadena rolled around and i heard the same show for the third time (which i knew going in), it just kinda wore on me. it could have also been that i was exhausted from the whole week and the flying and staying up too late and the whole GA mess towards the end.

things that are a MUST for next year:
-pedialyte
-handi wipes
-umbrellas
-get back into game shape (as i eat papa johns because i was too lazy to cook)

props to my two roommates for doing a great job parking the car in lot I...i was home by midnight and showered/in bed by 1230. it took longer getting from the stadium to the car than it did to get from the parking lot to the hotel.

it's nice to be home

-dan

:shifty: :flirt: :wink: (I think you are kidding though) :)

I forgot to buy wipes, but had hand sanitizer. Unfortunately it got put back in the car around 3:30pm.

Got to the car after midnight, and seemed like a bit of cars, so we waited a little bit to hang with our interference friends
6.gif
. Then once we got on the road, it seemed to be moving pretty well!

Finally got to shower & had lunch about 3:30-4:00 today. First decent meal in days :drool:

By the way, from my perspective down in GA, it seemed the crowd was really into it all around. I tried to check out the crowd throughout the show. My husband was up in section 22 (cheap seats, which blocked his view of Larry) and he said the crowd was up & standing thru the whole show, even way up there (him too). Seemed like an amazing crowd to both of us, from two different perspectives. And with the bigger songs (Streets, Elevation, Vertigo,...) the crowd was going off! Sometimes you just have to be there.... (that's why Chris's post was odd to me, about the crowd)

Wow a friend of mine on facebook has pics of celebrities all around them! Anyone see them?

Wynona Ryder
Chris Kattan
Pierce Brosnan
Shirley manson
Giovanni Ribisi
Hilary Swank
Demi Moore
Colin Farrell
Paris Hilton

and Adams parents! lol.

Back
Top Bottom