NLOTH Album Reviews Pt 3

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Seeing each review pop up in this thread 3 or 4 times is making my head spin.

The world turns and we get dizzy
Minute hands and second sticking...
Slipping away
There's something going on she might be missing
The world turns and we get dizzy
Is it spinning for you the way it's spinning for me

:D

If you really read about the creative process going back a long time its Lanois who pushes them further musically, Eno is a genius at creating soundscapes and ambience, but he gets way too much credit as both producer and innovator with U2 because he's more well known. (Although it does seem like in terms of sounds that stick out, production wise this one is more steeped in him).

I have a question about the Bonus tracks on NLOTH. This is so I can make a decision on which version of the album to buy

I realise this may have been discussed on another thread but there are so many Damn threads that talk about the tracklisting, reviews, people who have heard the album, etc. Its hard to find the information.

So here's my question:

Do we know which bonus tracks are included with a particular version of the album?

for example, the iTunes Preorder gets you an exclusive bonus track. Is this bonus track on the $70 Box Set which you can buy from Amazon?

Does the $25 version of the album get you a similar bonus track or is there?
going to be something completely new on that?

Why does U2 management make it so difficult for their own fans to figure out how they'd want to spend their hard earned money? Its like they go out of their way to confuse people into buying the same album twice.

Sorry to ramble on...

Just a little confused !!:huh:

I have a question about the Bonus tracks on NLOTH. This is so I can make a decision on which version of the album to buy

I realise this may have been discussed on another thread but there are so many Damn threads that talk about the tracklisting, reviews, people who have heard the album, etc. Its hard to find the information.

So here's my question:

Do we know which bonus tracks are included with a particular version of the album?

for example, the iTunes Preorder gets you an exclusive bonus track. Is this bonus track on the $70 Box Set which you can buy from Amazon?

Does the $25 version of the album get you a similar bonus track or is there?
going to be something completely new on that?

Why does U2 management make it so difficult for their own fans to figure out how they'd want to spend their hard earned money? Its like they go out of their way to confuse people into buying the same album twice.

Sorry to ramble on...

Just a little confused !!:huh:
i second that.....help

picturenx4.jpg

Hmm, was that directed at me or to those posting the same reviews over again? I'm confused.

Why do you love that line?

Just because the way it's sung (as heard on the beach clips) totally fits with the concept of the song and the feeling of orders being given. It's just a suitably bizzarre line for a very adventurous song both lyrically and musically...

Sorry if already covered but why is it that all the reviews are from British/Irish news sources? When are Rolling Stone, Billboard, etc expected to come out with their reviews?

Sorry if already covered but why is it that all the reviews are from British/Irish news sources? When are Rolling Stone, Billboard, etc expected to come out with their reviews?

Don't know, is there something wrong with the reviews so far?

Umm why shouldn't we? Why do others hate it?

I don't understand the bashing of these lyrics.

What's hard to understand? On paper they're ridiculous.

Thankfully songs aren't sung on paper.

MrBTH indicated that he could hear the lyric in the beach clips and thinks it works really well in context - that's fine. In fact, I hadn't listened to those clips very often but I just gave it a pass to see if I could hear it. My take is that while it's a silly line, it probably won't pull one out of the song when you hear it in context (and it seems like a pretty good tune, from what little I can tell).

To be clear, I'm not passing judgment on a song based on a few lyrics taken out of context, these just happen to be particularly questionable and I wondered what it is people "love" about them.

Thankfully songs aren't sung on paper.

MrBTH indicated that he could hear the lyric in the beach clips and thinks it works really well in context - that's fine. In fact, I hadn't listened to those clips very often but I just gave it a pass to see if I could hear it. My take is that while it's a silly line, it probably won't pull one out of the song when you hear it in context (and it seems like a pretty good tune, from what little I can tell).

To be clear, I'm not passing judgment on a song based on a few lyrics taken out of context, these just happen to be particularly questionable and I wondered what it is people "love" about them.

Pardon me for mentioning the obvious....but that seems to be EXACTLY what you are doing here.

Pardon me for mentioning the obvious....but that seems to be EXACTLY what you are doing here.

Because I think a couple lyrics are silly I'm suggesting the entire song is bad?

I think the line about God crossing the street like a little old lady is silly too, but I kinda dig the 45-second clip of Stand Up Comedy that we've heard. I certainly can't say what I'll think of the entire song, but I like the clip and it even includes the silly line.

They're not mutually exclusive.

Don't know, is there something wrong with the reviews so far?
No, nothing wrong at all. And I guess there were Australian reviews, as well.

But if there are 50 different news outlets in the US that will eventually review the album, why haven't any done so yet? Just seems odd, I guess.

Because I think a couple lyrics are silly I'm suggesting the entire song is bad?

I think the line about God crossing the street like a little old lady is silly too, but I kinda dig the 45-second clip of Stand Up Comedy that we've heard. I certainly can't say what I'll think of the entire song, but I like the clip and it even includes the silly line.

They're not mutually exclusive.

your direct quote:

silly and ridiculous are vastly different, so which is it?

your direct quote:

silly and ridiculous are vastly different, so which is it?

My next line: "Fortunately songs aren't sung on paper."

I'm not even sure what you're arguing about.

Do better.

My next line: "Fortunately songs aren't sung on paper."

I'm not even sure what you're arguing about.

Do better.

I'm not arguing about anything. I'm just trying to understand where you're coming from because you are saying two different things at once and it seemed like they were contradicting each other. I was merely trying to understand your point.

Its okay, I really don't care that much about it. And yes, I'll do better. I'll do better to ignore these posts in the future.

This is all I said, and pretty clearly (so I thought):

1. I think out of context the lyric is ridiculous (or silly or whatever you want to call it).

2. I don't think a single lyric (or two), in and of itself, will hinder the song.

2a. In context it might work just fine, or at least sound fine, which is most important.

Nothing about that is incompatible or contradictory.

I asked the question simply because I was curious how/why a few people love those lines. MrBTH's comments seemed fine.

obviously MY mistake. I misunderstood the post. My bad.

no harm done.

Back
Top Bottom