NFL Thread III

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I guess I hit a nerve. This is in no disrespect to Tom Brady and his accomplishments. I just personally have a different criteria for ranking QB's. That's probably why I'm in sales and not an NFL writer. LOL.

Carry on.

I still think there’s a very interesting conversation to be had here. Typically, when we talk about a game manager, it’s usually a term that we might use in a more disparaging sense. Similar to saying something along the lines of “ The qb isn’t very talented, he’s nothing more than a game manager.” Of course, it’s not always a negative thing. We give Alex Smith a lot of credit for being a very good game manager. But I do think inherently we put skill above smarts in sports, even though the very goal of each game is to win so it really shouldn’t matter how you get there.

Short of being a catcher in baseball, I can’t think of another position where intellect and skill are not so strongly coupled that they might as well be the same thing.

Right, we can just ignore the fact that Tom Brady was virtually perfect through the first half (again).
Yea who exactly is ignoring that?

Brady did want he had to do, absurd first half pass interference calls not withstanding.

But as was already stated here by others - the defense was the story last night and somebody from the defense, or better yet - the entire defensive unit - was the MVP of that game.

It does not change that Brady is the GOAT. If he lost last night it would not change that he's the GOAT. I've been calling him the GOAT for years.

The lasting image of last night's game, other than Shaggy's Cheetos ad, is not Tom Brady - it's Pat Mahomes running for his god damn life all night long.

I get it - the QB will get the shine 9 out of 10 times unless there's someone else who's obvious. For my money the MVP of the Giants first upset of the Pats still should have been Jeff Feagles and not Eli - but nobody's ever going to give the MVP to a punter over the winning QB. Alas.

The tweet you quoted was inferentially saying that. It’s sought to devalue the importance of Tom Brady in this game, let’s not pretend like it had any other intention.

I still think there’s a very interesting conversation to be had here. Typically, when we talk about a game manager, it’s usually a term that we might use in a more disparaging sense. Similar to saying something along the lines of “ The qb isn’t very talented, he’s nothing more than a game manager.” Of course, it’s not always a negative thing. We give Alex Smith a lot of credit for being a very good game manager. But I do think inherently we put skill above smarts in sports, even though the very goal of each game is to win so it really shouldn’t matter how you get there.

Short of being a catcher in baseball, I can’t think of another position where intellect and skill are not so strongly coupled that they might as well be the same thing.
What's odd about Brady is that the majority (and arguably all) of his Super Bowl victories come before and after the period most would consider to be his peak ability as a QB.

Aaron Rodgers, who (sorry Mikal) I consider a choker - actually has a higher QBR in his playoff loses than Brady has in his total playoff career.

Alas - you can't argue with 7 rings. You just can't.

What's odd about Brady is that the majority (and arguably all) of his Super Bowl victories come before and after the period most would consider to be his peak ability as a QB.

Aaron Rodgers, who (sorry Mikal) I consider a choker - actually has a higher QBR in his playoff loses than Brady has in his total playoff career.

Alas - you can't argue with 7 rings. You just can't.

Oh it's ok. That's why Rodgers would definitely not be my #1 QB of all time. I've seen enough times where he didn't make a couple of throws in big spots. Before Mahomes entered the league, I would still say that Rodgers is the best QB I've ever seen, and I do think he's been fucked over by really bad defenses. How many times in the playoffs has he put the team in position to win, and the rest of the team shit the bed. So that's a factor as well.

But yeah, 2 weeks ago, I still put a lot of that loss on Rodgers and the offensive line.

also, side note... yes, he's the GOAT, but...

EtrLuYyUUAEdZyd

fuck tom brady.

Tom Brady runs 30 yards down the field to talk trash.

"Unsportsmanlike Conduct. Defense"

The absurdity of the first half penalties would be a bigger story today if the Chiefs could have put together even 50% of their usual offensive output. Both of those PI calls at the end of the first half were uncatchable balls. Brady was literally trying to throw the ball away on the call in the end zone.

Andy Reid and whatever other Chiefs coaches that weren't in jail yesterday should be embarrassed by that performance, and how they almost got their stud franchise QB killed.

Yes, you're down your starting tackles. Ok. Got it.

Make a damn adjustment.

You can't figure out how to get the ball out quicker when you also have the best TE in football and the fastest slot receiver in NFL history? They had some success moving the ball at the start of the third when they just planted Kelce in the middle of the field. But they kept trying to go back to the big play - which clearly wasn't happening with that's makeshift O-Line.

Shameful performance by Kansas City's coaching staff.

I think that flag was already tossed on Mathieu before the encounter with Brady. He basically mounted AB after the TD catch and then popped off to officials and any Buc in the area.
Mathieu lost his cool all night long.

Last edited:
The absurdity of the first half penalties would be a bigger story today if the Chiefs could have put together even 50% of their usual offensive output. Both of those PI calls at the end of the first half were uncatchable balls. Brady was literally trying to throw the ball away on the call in the end zone.

Andy Reid and whatever other Chiefs coaches that weren't in jail yesterday should be embarrassed by that performance, and how they almost got their stud franchise QB killed.

Yes, you're down your starting tackles. Ok. Got it.

Make a damn adjustment.

You can't figure out how to get the ball out quicker when you also have the best TE in football and the fastest slot receiver in NFL history? They had some success moving the ball at the start of the third when they just planted Kelce in the middle of the field. But they kept trying to go back to the big play - which clearly wasn't happening with that's makeshift O-Line.

Shameful performance by Kansas City's coaching staff.

Agreed. Definitely can't blame the refs, just at the party I was at last night, literally everyone threw their hands up in the air because we're just all sick of it.

This picture is from 5 years ago, and Brady has distanced himself from Trump since (probably at Super G's behest), time to sing the Frozen theme on that one.
Ehhhhhh nah.

It was clear as day what that hat represented at the time.

He still chose to display it prominently in his locker.

He distanced himself because he has great PR people.

Last edited:
Ok I’m not even on Twitter dad, but says who?

I didn’t assume that’s what happened. My point was merely to report the news.

I'm not claiming Brady said a racial slur, but it definitely wouldn't be the first time a MAGA used one.

I didn't say you assumed it, buy your post was clearly a thinly veiled reference to those rumors going around.

The timing of my post coincided with reports that Tom Brady issued a “lengthy text of an apology” to Mathieu for what he said to him.

I don’t do thin veils, hee.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom