NFL 2009-2010: Part The Second

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Once in a blue moon do I root for the Bears. Tonight they delivered.

Thank you for stopping the demon Favre.

I'm a Cheesehead, and I was screaming every bit as loud on that last throw as if Rodgers had thrown it to Driver. Way to take down the Vikes.

and if they don't make a good run, it'll be the same drama with Favre again this offseason....

He'll retire again so he doesn't have to do anything in the off season except sit on his tractor. Then he'll un-retire again around August.

Brett Favre doesn't want any of your "training camp" bullshit. He's fine with being in shape for only the first 12 games of the season.

i'm just glad he's the Viqueens' problem and not the Packers' problem. how lucky were us in Titletown that Rodgers slipped to us at #24 in the '05 draft?

One problem with sticking with the "Favre is dragging the team down the tubes late in the season again" narrative is that, well, Childress really is an atrocious coach.

I kinda liked Gruden as a commentator, until I was forced to endure 3 straight of hours of his relentless Favre ass-kissing. Just gut wrenching.

And why is everyone saying that these are the best numbers he's put up in his career? Because he's not giving out INT's like Halloween candy, as we've grown accustomed to? He has 29 TD's w/ 1 game left to play. He's had totals of 39, 38, 35, 33, 32, 31, and 30 before. He's also thrown for much more yardage on several occasions.

I kinda liked Gruden as a commentator, until I was forced to endure 3 straight of hours of his relentless Favre ass-kissing. Just gut wrenching.

And why is everyone saying that these are the best numbers he's put up in his career? Because he's not giving out INT's like Halloween candy, as we've grown accustomed to? He has 29 TD's w/ 1 game left to play. He's had totals of 39, 38, 35, 33, 32, 31, and 30 before. He's also thrown for much more yardage on several occasions.

I think most people are saying that he's putting up numbers that are "among" the best of his career, not necessarily the best season he's ever had.

It has been a great season for him, however. There really isn't any denying that.

As much as I hate the guy, I won't deny that his numbers are great and his team has a solid record.

Even when he was worshipped universally in Green Bay (obviously NOT the case anymore), he was such a Jeckyl and Hyde act. He could be the best QB in the game . . . or one of the worst. His last decade with Green Bay, he would routinely put up Pro Bowl numbers and a legit playoff run, only to self-destruct come playoff time. After the '97 Super Bowl run, the Packers season always ended on his bone-headed interceptions.

Gruden is yet another analyst who talks too much and says too little. Would it be the end of the world if it were just Tirico and Jaws? Fuck.

Agree completely AND Gruden laughs at his own jokes WAY too much.

I'm also shocked at how inept Tony Dungy is at saying anything that's worth a paycheck while Trent Dilfer is the best talking head in the business right now.

call me in the minority here, but i dont get all the "Favre is the devil" talk. Sure he looks stupid for how his career at Green Bay ended, but really so does Green Bay. I don't blame Favre for wanting to play again either. It's obvious they (Green Bay) forced him to make up his mind which really isnt his strong suit, and then they kind of forced him out of town. The whole Favre media masturbation has been kind of tiresome as well. But saying he can only play for 12 weeks because he is 40 is laughable. He's thrown interceptions his whole career i dont see why it makes a difference if he does it in December or September. If Adrian Peterson doesn't fumble the ball so much then maybe that makes a difference? Thats coming from a Big Peterson fan from his Sooner Days.

If Green Bay makes it to the Super Bowl this year (and they very well could) then maybe i will rethink my position. But i find it funny how well loved Favre was in Green Bay until 2 years ago, and now so many people there hate him because he just wants to keep on playing even when they obviously didnt want him. Which they of all people should recognize and appreciate since this is the guy who holds the record for never missing a game.

The problem that most Packers fans have is not simply that he wanted to "just keep playing." It's been pretty well documented that he wanted to hurt Green Bay by playing for their bitter enemy.

Last time I checked, Favre quit the Packers. If he was getting forced out of Green Bay, he could have asked for a trade. Instead we got a teary "retirement" press conference where he said he was too mentally tired to continue.

call me in the minority here, but i dont get all the "Favre is the devil" talk. Sure he looks stupid for how his career at Green Bay ended, but really so does Green Bay. I don't blame Favre for wanting to play again either. It's obvious they (Green Bay) forced him to make up his mind which really isnt his strong suit, and then they kind of forced him out of town. The whole Favre media masturbation has been kind of tiresome as well. But saying he can only play for 12 weeks because he is 40 is laughable. He's thrown interceptions his whole career i dont see why it makes a difference if he does it in December or September. If Adrian Peterson doesn't fumble the ball so much then maybe that makes a difference? Thats coming from a Big Peterson fan from his Sooner Days.

If Green Bay makes it to the Super Bowl this year (and they very well could) then maybe i will rethink my position. But i find it funny how well loved Favre was in Green Bay until 2 years ago, and now so many people there hate him because he just wants to keep on playing even when they obviously didnt want him. Which they of all people should recognize and appreciate since this is the guy who holds the record for never missing a game.

Favre isn't the devil, but he is one whiny, dramatic bitch. I have no problem with him retiring and changing his mind. Fair play to him. What drives me nuts is his need to feed the news cycle day in and day out.

Brett, please call Tiger. He won't answer and that will be your first lesson.

I never liked Favre as a Packer. In fact, I hated him for continuously making the Bears look bad. Many people I know said they were happy to see Favre go to the Jets last year. Then they could root for him since he was out of the NFC North. I still didn't like him.

Next, the worst thing that could happen, happened. Favre, my least favorite player of all time(yes, that is true) signed with my least favorite team of all time, the Vikings. Disgusting.

That's why even though the game was somewhat meaningless for the Bears, as a fan, I was out of my seat screaming through the majority of the game. :D

Favre isn't the devil, but he is one whiny, dramatic bitch. I have no problem with him retiring and changing his mind. Fair play to him. What drives me nuts is his need to feed the news cycle day in and day out.

Brett, please call Tiger. He won't answer and that will be your first lesson.

I agree with you, but shouldn't you blame the news media outlets instead of Favre? They could at least ignore him...funny we go through these cycles.... like with Terrell Owens and now we hear absolutely nothing about T.O. since he has been in Buffalo. But he was the story the entire time he was in Philly and then Dallas.

You mention Tiger Woods, well he doesn't answer the phone and everybody is still talking about him. In fact most people or "talking heads" have said that Tiger should at least make a public appearance and answer questions and get it over with. But he hasn't, instead he has ran away from it all. Not that i blame him, but with Favre at least he has answered some of the questions thrown his way.

The problem that most Packers fans have is not simply that he wanted to "just keep playing." It's been pretty well documented that he wanted to hurt Green Bay by playing for their bitter enemy.

Last time I checked, Favre quit the Packers. If he was getting forced out of Green Bay, he could have asked for a trade. Instead we got a teary "retirement" press conference where he said he was too mentally tired to continue.

First of all, its a game and a sport. So "bitter enemy" and "hurt" are laughable. He doesn't want to kill or maim anyone on that team (at least i dont think he does). Does he want to beat the Packers? Sure he does. GTFO.

Maybe he could have asked for a trade but emotionally he was drained because they were giving him the boot. And he did give his all for Green Bay over all those years. Im sure it stung him. So he chose to retire and then he had second thoughts. Either way it was a messy divorce and both sides looked foolish. Thats really my only point. In reading these forums it's always so one sided.

I agree with you, but shouldn't you blame the news media outlets instead of Favre? They could at least ignore him...funny we go through these cycles.... like with Terrell Owens and now we hear absolutely nothing about T.O. since he has been in Buffalo. But he was the story the entire time he was in Philly and then Dallas.

You mention Tiger Woods, well he doesn't answer the phone and everybody is still talking about him. In fact most people or "talking heads" have said that Tiger should at least make a public appearance and answer questions and get it over with. But he hasn't, instead he has ran away from it all. Not that i blame him, but with Favre at least he has answered some of the questions thrown his way.

I thought my disdain of the media was clear. I always blame them. But it seemed to me like Favre was WAY to willing to let the media into what he was thinking that day rather than just tell them that he'll let them know when he decides. Sure, the media will keep talking about him, but he helped that fire burn bright with all of his interviews. Just shut the fuck up already.

Favre ... is one whiny, dramatic bitch ... What drives me nuts is his need to feed the news cycle day in and day out.

Exactly.

Now, I'm using the spoiler tag here so that NSW doesn't read this and try to engage me on the Favre issue. You're welcome, ass.

However, Dalton, I disagree with being OK with his "retirements." They were both decisions he made long to keep his name in the media, and both seemed to be something that allowed him to skip training camps, even if he screwed a team over in the process. I don't blame the Packers at all for "forcing" him into a decision after 2007, as one person said they did; they can't wait around for one player, they have to prepare for the next season. Favre is the one who ducked out on the team at the thought of going through another training camp.

In the end, he's an attention whore who's been allowed to receive it because of obsessive personalities like Chris Berman. A good quarterback who won the Super Bowl this one time and played a lot of games in a row through a mixture of toughness (undeniable), good offensive lines, and a knack for throwing picks instead of taking sacks for the later years of his career (he didn't develop this habit until early in this decade).

In summary, I am not a fan of yours and never will be, Brett.

WRANGLER JEANS!

In other news, McNabb's scramble on 3rd and 25 against Denver was exhilarating. He hasn't run that fast since 2002, seriously.

I can't believe the Colts threw that game away.

Yeah, me either. That move makes the Pats' fourth down blunder look like rocket science.

It was wrong on so many levels.
One it deprives the players of their shot at history. Now if they don't win it all they have nothing, and even if they do they're just another team who won the Super Bowl.
Two it screwed the loyal fans, the paying customer
Three it is unfair to the other AFC teams battling with the Jets for the final wildcard spot because no one is going to hand them a victory.
Four it's just ignorant and pointless.

I don't accept the resting the players excuse because as Trent Dilfer pointed out on ESPN every time they do that they lose in the first round of the playoffs and the only time they won it all they had to win down the stretch, didn't get a bye, played hard and straight thru, stayed hot and won. This only makes them chill down, as well as the DEMORALIZATION and frustration of being robbed at their chance for immortality. I smell a Tony Dungee holier than thou religious speech behind all this.

tony dungy would still be a moron if the pats defense didn't get old and choke in the 2nd half.

the colts are a bunch of assholes who deserve to have the jets make the playoffs, win their first round game, and knock those sissy-mary's out of the playoffs in the semi's.

honestly, i hope that one of their key players gets injured slipping on ice getting into a cab or something... just to show those pansy-asses that guys get hurt no matter what you do and that sitting their guys like that is just the softest piece of crap you could ever do.

it's fun to hate the colts again.

he also audibled out of a run play when he threw the interception in overtime vs. the Giants in '07. McCarthy was furious. let's just say that i have some inside info that there was a huge blowup between McCarthy and Favre after that game.

The problem with losing on purpose is that losing breeds losing like winning breeds winning. An object in motion stays in motion, an object at rest rarely bothers to move. Take the Pats, look how they were undefeated until they lost to the Colts then they lost like 3 of their next 4 games. Look at the Saints, they were undefeated and lost then the next week lost to a shitty TB team. Once you are no longer fighting to be undefeated you slack off- maybe not on purpose, maybe psychologically, whatever, it happens. You need to keep moving and keep winning, you snooze you lose.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom