New York I Setlist Watch and Party, Part II

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Lila64 said:
I don' t even know what Recurring Dream is. Unless it involved :censored: and :censored: :whistle:

One of my favourite Crowded House songs. :drool:

And as far as I'm concerned, knowing Crowded House is a lot more important than knowing the Beatles. :wink:

ouizy said:

Yes, he sang the People I Don't Know Are Trying To Kill Me at the end of the Electric Co. over and over again.

And yes, he snippeted the Beatles Across The Universe as well as Sgt. Peppers, and I think there was one other Beatles reference...

There were a ton of others tonight, but I will have to remember them later...

Bono went snippet crazy tonight.

He also screwed up Yahweh, as well as the snippet for In A Little While

He also snippeted Please.

Thanks! :up:

At the moment for Beautiful Day, I have this:

Beautiful Day / Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band (snippet) / Blackbird (snippet) / Many Rivers To Cross (snippet) / Across The Universe (snippet)

Talk about going nuts! Am I correct when I assume Please was snippeted in Bullet? When it's been snippeted previously on this tour, it's been in Please.

Axver said:

One of my favourite Crowded House songs. :drool:

And as far as I'm concerned, knowing Crowded House is a lot more important than knowing the Beatles. :wink:

I shouldn't even dignify that with a response :ohmy:

Here's The Beatles' "Across The Universe"
http://s22.you send it.com/d.aspx?id=3288LJF67OK21034Y1PEGMTKWM

I had this posted earlier, did you not catch it?

12. Bullet The Blue Sky / Please / Hands That Built America / When Johnny Comes Marching Home

Lila64 said:

I shouldn't even dignify that with a response :ohmy:

Here's The Beatles' "Across The Universe"
http://s22.you send it.com/d.aspx?id=3288LJF67OK21034Y1PEGMTKWM

Well, I did say 'as far as I am concerned', not 'in general'. :wink:

Thanks, I'll give it a whirl.

Lila64 said:
I had this posted earlier, did you not catch it?

12. Bullet The Blue Sky / Please / Hands That Built America / When Johnny Comes Marching Home

Oh, either I saw one without Please, or I'm just going blind and failed to notice it.

It was played on the first leg of the tour, and part of the second leg. It was replaced by Miss Sarajevo. I'm sure Axver will give you exact dates and stats upon his next post :wink:

And welcome :wave:

Thanks! Seeing them on Tues. in section 63!! Yay!!

Also saw them in May twice - NJ show 2 & the MSG show.

I am soo curious as to what they will do in NYC over these 5 days!

I also really wish they would bust out "Angel of Harlem" while they are here in town!!!

Axver said:

Thanks! I do remember that. Didn't know it was originally a Beatles number. That probably shows ignorance, but ... eh, it's the Beatles, I don't care.

that's enough. out.

Lila64 said:
It was played on the first leg of the tour, and part of the second leg. It was replaced by Miss Sarajevo. I'm sure Axver will give you exact dates and stats upon his next post :wink:

And welcome :wave:

I shall give exact stats! RTSS was played at every show from the LA Public Rehearsal on 26 March through to the second Amsterdam show on 15 July. At the third Amsterdam show on 16 July, Miss Sarajevo was played instead and it has been played at every show since.

The fact NYC has five consecutive shows makes me wonder if RTSS is going to be played at at least one. I am surprised it wasn't played at any of the four in Toronto.

U2Man said:

that's enough. out.

My signature doesn't redeem me? :(

Oh, and Lila, Across The Universe made for nice enough background music. I don't suppose I would've changed the channel if that had come on the radio.

Hey, randomly - folks who were at the show, did WOWY have Shine Like Stars, Love Will Tear Us Apart, or any cool stuff like that?

Axver said:

My signature doesn't redeem me? :(

Oh, and Lila, Across The Universe made for nice enough background music. I don't suppose I would've changed the channel if that had come on the radio.

Hey, randomly - folks who were at the show, did WOWY have Shine Like Stars, Love Will Tear Us Apart, or any cool stuff like that?

It helps, but there really is no excuse for musical ignorance, Axver. :wink:

U2Man said:

It helps, but there really is no excuse for musical ignorance, Axver. :wink:

Which is why you should be ashamed of yourself for not knowing Straitjacket Fits or The Clean. :wink:

Aardvark747 said:
Nice setlist. WOWY to end seems a little different, has that happened many times before Axver?

Eleven times. Once on JT, eight times on Lovetown, twice on ZooTV.

When I logged on this morning I checked Axvers site to see the setlist and holy crap :up: :yes: Just reading through, it looks like it was an amazing show!!

With encores like that I wouldn't be suprised if Discotheque or something else made an appearance at some point!

great show last night... my seat was the first row in the risers behind the VIP section... liam neeson, ralph fiennes, denis leary, naomi campbell, christie turlington, chelsea clinton... all within 5 feet of me. twas very cool.

but alas, it's time for me to take a shower and head back into the city for round 2... can't wait :hyper:

Bono mentioned Michael Hutchence towards the end of the night. I couldn't quite make out what he was saying. Something about INXS and a reality show? Anyone hear better than me?

There was no "Shine Like the stars" and no Love WIll TearUs Apart. It was straight up WOWY.

That said, the lights above the stage were still on when the band left the stage for a bit too long, and as Bono had pulled each band member over to him to say something I think he actually wanted a 40 or a Vertigox2 - he just did not want to stop, but I am pretty sure at least one of the guys vetoed it.

If I had to guess - I would say it was Larry - he was pretty pissed off about something.

Also - here is a note - I actually wore earplugs throughout the whole show this time around due to my tinnitus from last time, and all I have to say is that every song was SOOOO much clearer. I heard ever word that was sang, not sang and everything in between.

Because Christy Turlington was at the show Bono told a short story of how she introduced them to Michael Hutchence and then went on to ask the Edge if Michael would have liked the reality show. I think it was a way of calling out to CHristy in the audience, but it was also a slag on the INXS guys. It was pretty interesting, I was pretty surprised. Bono did a ton of talking last night...

^ouizy, are you still having tinnitus from the last time, or is it gone?

...and btw. Larry looked pissed off on Conan, too, if you ask me. Something is bothering him. Maybe the other three keep hiding the shampoo from him these days? He really needs it :hmm:

Tremendous show with great energy -- it was clear that the band was overwhelmed by the crowd's volume and intensity. Bono commented about it frequently, and from my vantage point (in the ellipse, front row, 5 feet from Edge), you could see the other band members react similarly. They kept looking at themselves, like "wow, what have we here?" Tons of smiles, lot of energy.

As others have said, the encores were amazing. Consider this: We had a stretch that went First Time - Stuck in a Moment - Fast Cars - All Because of You - Crumbs - Yahweh. That's 6 songs that the casual U2 fan may not know (outside of perhaps Stuck, a minor post-9/11 radio hit). And the boys had the guts to play them, and play them well, back to back.

And though the main set lacked for a setlist surprise, the energy of the band/crowd was incredible, particularly at the start. I know saying something nice about Vertigo is frowned upon here (j/k), but when the band cut out and Bono counted off in Spanish at the begginning of the song, and then the band slammed back into the song -- I though the ellipse floor was going to give way.

Great first show. Great way to throw down the gauntlet at the beginning of the MSG stand. Can't wait to see what they do next....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom