New U2 interviews: Schedules and discussion

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Says Bono, "It used to start with 'This Is Where You Can Reach Me,' which was always supposed to be the first song, and then 'Raised By Wolves.' And the reason we changed ... we put the songs first, is we thought, "Well, if we're going to have 5,000,000 people perhaps check us out, a really long intro is probably not a good idea. Let's put the songs first, like onThe Joshua Tree."

Read more:http://www.rollingstone.com/music/n...rn-hanging-out-with-u2-20141030#ixzz3Hf5hiIxe
Follow us:mad:rollingstone on Twitter|RollingStone on Facebook

So I guess we know what songs will and won't be singles...

Tedder/Epworth stuff? Yep. Danger Mouse? Nope.

Read more: 18 Things You Learn Hanging Out With U2 | Rolling Stone
Follow us: @rollingstone on Twitter | RollingStone on Facebook

Until the last two months of recording, "Raised by Wolves" was radically different.
"It was quite a pop song," says Declan Gaffney, who co-produced it. "You know, Bono, when he writes melodies, he sings in a language called Bongolese, things that aren't really words right up until about a month or two before the record is finished. And then Bono came in with these dark lyrics, and we kind of felt that the music didn't really match the lyrics. So we tried to turn the music on its head, to match the lyrics.

:applaud:

The band is weighing a two-night structure for their 2015 tour.
"There is talk of doing two different kinds of shows," says Clayton. "One night would be a kind of loud, explosive rock & roll kind of event and then the other night's show take the acoustic arrangements of some of the songs, and kind of present those songs in a much more intimate way. But we don't really know how that's going to sound and look." One thing the band hasn't figured out: how to make sure audiences understand in advance which show they're getting.

:hmm:

Mullen doesn't mind being a dissenting voice in the band from time to time.
"Some decisions are not welcomed, or aren't popular, but I'm not in a popularity contest. I'm in a band."

The militant wing fans :corn:

After spending years on Songs of Innocence, they recorded the acoustic version that's on the deluxe edition in about a week.
For the band, it was a test of whether they'd met their goal for the album: writing songs that would work in the barest arrangements. "We had to go in and test the theory," says Bono. "I saw the Edge with his head in his hands, and he said, 'It's taken us three years to finish this album, and you're saying we have to do another album in a week?' I said, 'Edge, all the work over the last three years is going to mean that we can do it." He just went 'Ah!'" And he said, 'We can do it in a week. Will we put it out? We don't have to. Let's just try.' It got pretty frenetic at the end."

There goes the "they can't play the new stuff live" theory.

After spending years on Songs of Innocence, they recorded the acoustic version that's on the deluxe edition in about a week.
For the band, it was a test of whether they'd met their goal for the album: writing songs that would work in the barest arrangements. "We had to go in and test the theory," says Bono. "I saw the Edge with his head in his hands, and he said, 'It's taken us three years to finish this album, and you're saying we have to do another album in a week?' I said, 'Edge, all the work over the last three years is going to mean that we can do it." He just went 'Ah!'" And he said, 'We can do it in a week. Will we put it out? We don't have to. Let's just try.' It got pretty frenetic at the end."

There goes the "they can't play the new stuff live" theory.

Ummm no. no it doesn't.

But hey. Thanks again

I don't think that dispels that theory. I think that just means they know how to get to the bottom of the songs and play them acoustically. Them rehearsing and doing a full-band Iris is different than going in and recording a piano-ified Song for Someone.

Not sure how many people here have watched the Australian 60 Minutes interview yet but the very final question/ answer was very interesting. Edge answers he's thought about life post-U2

The female interviewer asked "Can you ever imagine a life post-U2?"

Edge: "I think... I try to imagine the end of U2 and I can but the one thing I realize is that we would still be friends if U2 stopped being a band.

Bono: "For sure"

It seems different the way he answered this, mainly where he says he CAN imagine life after U2, with the whole band present & Bono's posture as Edge answered. I'm not crying wolf & saying the sky is falling because they may continue to be a band & make music for many years to come but this last response from Edge felt to me like they really might be looking to culminate their career. The typical answer has been something like 'we can't imagine doing anything else' but this answer felt unrehearsed & believable. If 40 years falls in 2016 & they have the plan for Songs Of Experience & Songs of Ascent, & typical U2 world tours last 2-3 years, they will have achieved the 40 year mark. That number carries a lot of weight for this band. I'm sure this possibility has been discussed in other parts of the forum but I get the feeling they put in overtime & got the 3 album project together over the past 5 years to open this possibility to come true.

Maybe.

I'm not so sure about that idea of two different show setups for the tour, sounds like a logistical challenge and like a lot of stress for the band, even more rehearsals and thus, as we all know, more of being underrehearsed and messing things up. Why compromise? Do an arena tour first and tune things down a bit, then the stadium tour the next year if you want that loud rock'n'roll show. I'm skeptical about that concept, not sure how they think they can work this out.

If I bought tickets to a more acoustic show.....I would be PISSED!

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

LOL, I would KILL to see a U2 Acoustic show.

offtopic story
I recently missed out on one of the best punk bands of all TIME, X, doing a couple of acoustic shows. I saw them a month or two after the tour headlining a festival and saw that they were setting up smaller amps and I guess (correctly) that we would be getting an acoustic show. People in the audience (mainly old farts like me, that have probably seen them a bunch) were pissed. I was loving it. One idiot kept calling out, "Break out your gold Gibson Billy" when Billy Zoom plays a SILVER Gretsch. He even has a signature version. lol

I'm sure they won't do a full acoustic show, that won't go down too well with any audience, but I wouldn't mind having tickets to both shows, the more stripped down and the more "rocking" one, IF this concept is realized in the end. In the end I'm sure fans will complain about both settings.

Why is that a surprise? It's always been an issue. With an album heavy on production, which the danger mouse material is, it's even more likely.

I don't know of a tour where they had real trouble playing their songs due to production....except for the beginnings of Popmart. And by the Chicago show, it came together. Unless we are just talking about promotional tours?

I'm not so sure about that idea of two different show setups for the tour, sounds like a logistical challenge and like a lot of stress for the band, even more rehearsals and thus, as we all know, more of being underrehearsed and messing things up. Why compromise? Do an arena tour first and tune things down a bit, then the stadium tour the next year if you want that loud rock'n'roll show. I'm skeptical about that concept, not sure how they think they can work this out.

If I bought tickets to a more acoustic show.....I would be PISSED!

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

It doesn't seem like a good idea

If they're talking about an arena show and a club show... sure, sounds amazing.

If they're talking two different arena shows, but one is acoustic? Ugh. No thanks.

Definitely agree. Hope they don't do that.

Agreed.

"There is talk of doing two different kinds of shows," says Clayton. "One night would be a kind of loud, explosive rock & roll kind of event and then the other night's show take the acoustic arrangements of some of the songs, and kind of present those songs in a much more intimate way."

Darth_vader_no.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom