New fan saw the light

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

zuma

Acrobat
I've found this really interesting and thought you guys might get a kick out of it. I went to NY2 with a friend of mine who knows pretty much nothing about U2. She recognized BD and Streets and that's about it. She figured she didn't care for Bono much from what she'd heard, but the 'music should be alright since they've been around forever'. So to the concert we went and she's in love with the music and the band. She's been asking for song recommendations and info on the band and even Bono's activism. :lol:

I find it quite astonishing really that they still have the power to reel in brand-new fans, especially after the Apple shitstorm and the often negative comments about our favourite sunglasses-wearing singer. She was totally taken with Bono's stage charisma and was mightily impressed by the show they put on. It's been really neat to get confirmation that the band still got it. I know most of us are pretty tired of preachy Bono, but she's still happily lapping it up. And it kind of reminds me of the innocent (haha get it) days where I just loved the band and had no need to criticize anything, not even the preachy bits. I suppose the honeymoon phase only lasts so long, but I do remember the time when they could do no wrong in my eyes. I'm sure she'll get tired of the preaching before long, but I suppose they found the right mix to not totally wear out the veterans and enough to reel in the newbies.

We both noticed Bono mouth 'thank you' to whoever handed him the towel and water an the e-stage and I think that little gesture alone may have set of the Bono-love for her. He's a born performer no doubt, but it's things like that and the fan interaction that really endear them to people just like back in the days when I first discovered them. I really do believe at the end of the day the key is the whole 'making a connection with the audience' by whatever means. I'm happily lending her album after album and discussing song meanings and histories and it's just a ton of fun to see them through her eyes. And with any luck, I'll have a travelling buddy when they return to North America.
(And maybe we can plan all that before we get to HTDAAB :laugh:)

Awesom story! It is nice to see our band from an outsider's eye and receive that confirmation, that yep, we have been right all this time. It is not needed, but nice to receive it anyway. :love:

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

Great story zuma! It takes me back to when I first began listening & liking U2. Make sure your friend watches all the DVDs- that's where I really became a junky for their music.

I know most of us are pretty tired of preachy Bono, but she's still happily lapping it up. And it kind of reminds me of the innocent (haha get it) days where I just loved the band and had no need to criticize anything, not even the preachy bits. I suppose the honeymoon phase only lasts so long, but I do remember the time when they could do no wrong in my eyes. I'm sure she'll get tired of the preaching before long, but I suppose they found the right mix to not totally wear out the veterans and enough to reel in the newbies.

This is my 33rd year as a U2 fan, 16th show, and I haven't tired of the "preaching." I guess because I don't consider it preaching. It's just Bono raising awareness and doling out praise where its due.

But I like the rest of your story. I've always fantasized that my U2-hating friends would actually get to see them live and a similar thing would happen.

Neat. :up:

I got to experience this when I took my (at that time teenaged) daughters to U23D. They went in basically on a bribe that if they went with me I'd treat them to a movie of their choice afterwards. When the lights went up, they both turned to me and asked if we could exchange the tickets to their movie to see U23D again, right away. :love: They are both still huge fans who have attended the 360 and i&e tours with me. :heart:

Have fun! :D

This is my 33rd year as a U2 fan, 16th show, and I haven't tired of the "preaching." I guess because I don't consider it preaching. It's just Bono raising awareness and doling out praise where its due.

I agree. I've never grown tired of Bono's "preaching". It's just Bono being Bono. I do know there are obviously plenty of folks who just want Bono to sing and not talk, but that's what you get when you go to a U2 show.

Back
Top Bottom