New Album Ideas

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sanchez

War Child
I was watching the DVD of The Best Of 1990-2000 and just love how Edge explodes on the guitar for songs like The Fly, HMTMKMKM, and UTEOTW. I really hope the next album has lots of heavy guitar in it, I miss that. Not saying what Edge does now sucks, not at all, but I'd just like Edge to kick it up a notch on the next album. Anyone else feel the same or have other ideas on what the album may sound like?

AtomicBono said:
Punk rock from Venus :wink:
:lol:

I too wish the Edge would fuck around with his guitar again and deliver another Love Is Blindness/Mofo/Until The End/Acrobat/Mysterious Ways etc... but don't know if they have it in them anymore. They would probably start worrying about how well it will sell and if everyone under the sun is gonna like it. :|

I want something experimental. (not another Zooropa/Pop, but sth that different!) Even if there's no "visible" guitar in it. I just want sth new and interesting, I want them to rediscover their music one again.
Well, maybe I'm asking too much, but we/they should always reach for the best.

TheFlyOnTheWall said:
I want something experimental. (not another Zooropa/Pop, but sth that different!) Even if there's no "visible" guitar in it. I just want sth new and interesting, I want them to rediscover their music one again.
Well, maybe I'm asking too much, but we/they should always reach for the best.

You are asking too much, at this stage of their career Bono and the band have their carpet slippers on and are easing down on the gas pedal slowly drifting towards retirement.zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

rjhbonovox said:

You are asking too much, at this stage of their career Bono and the band have their carpet slippers on and are easing down on the gas pedal slowly drifting towards retirement.zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

:blahblah:

Anyway. I hope they do a little more with the "Love And Peace Or Else" sound, as it's my favourite song from How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb. Maybe they could take it up another notch.

rjhbonovox said:

Believe it or not, I actually agree with this rabble rouser----lol (It's all good, I like reading your posts). I'd love to see a guitar-oriented all out rock album come down the pipeline, too. Problem is, you need some fiery emotional fuel to pull that off. History suggests that artists in their mid to late forties don't pull that off. Maybe U2 can buck that statistic, but there's no doubt in my mind that we as fans should not expect something like that. Especially given that U2 tends to drift toward the more thoughtful side of rock anyway.

11 isn't very loud on mine...the max is 30....

Please don't say that they are about to retire! I've only just got into U2 and I'm only 15! They can't retire yet. I hope they make enough albums for a 2000-2010 best of (say, another three), then release a best of 1980-2010 best of, then have a final tour, release a final tour cd/dvd THEN retire. I'd like to see less synthsisers and more raw guitar/vocal/percussion. That'd be great. And if that doesn't sell, who cares? That's one out of a lot.

COBL_04 said:
I hope they make enough albums for a 2000-2010 best of (say, another three), then release a best of 1980-2010 best of, then have a final tour, release a final tour cd/dvd THEN retire.

Please refrain from saying the 'R' word..:sad:

*Think of a happy place, think of a happy place* :|

I don't really care what the sound it, it's all in the spirit of it to me.

The main problem I hear in the last two albums is that they are trying too hard to be U2 (in the biggest boldest brightest writing). This whole 'biggest band in the world' thing, and their hunger for commercial success - particularly in the US - after Pop is all tied in with that. It's kind of like they are confused about their own identity, they are trying too hard to be what they think 'we' (not just hardcore fans in here, but anyone with ears who has heard of U2) want them to be.

The truth is U2 have always been at their best when they are facing their biggest musical and creative challenges. That's where this God walking into the room thing comes in. You don't really hear much of that on these last albums.

Edge is an amazing guitar player. I'm sure the guy could knock us all up enough riffs for an album of Vertigo's and Elevation's in a week. But do you want that? Or do you want him to try and relate an emotion, a feeling, through his guitar. Do you want his guitar to essentially pick up the pieces that Bono can't describe in words? Which do you want his challenge to be: Edge! Give us a killer riff for the radio! - or - Edge! Create a guitar part that winds through a song and tells a story in such a magical way that that song really doesn't even need lyrics for us to feel what it is about. I want the second one.

Bono is a great, great meaningful songwriter and lyricist and singer. I'm sure the guy could knock out a dozen Original of the Species and Miracle Drugs in a week. Is that what you want? Those screaming for the sake of screaming songs, or do you want him to whisper and croak when it's needed, stretch that voice out when it's needed, soar when it's needed. I love the howling on Love and Peace, as it's pretty much the only song on the album that sounds like it has a bit of Bono's real emotions behind it - something that lacks from 7 or 8 of the songs on that album, but previously never, ever did. Do you want him to be that direct with his lyrics? I think it's not natural to him and thats why they've suffered so much. Do you not understand what he's talking about in songs like One, that still have all the poetry, but are as direct as they come? Or do you want more of the moles digging in holes and the sniffing of babies heads?

Do you want them to set themselves musical challenges, essentially trying very hard to convey a thought and feeling into music, or do you want them to be trying really hard to write hit songs?

If U2 were to really show that they had balls now, they would take the risk of NOT being the biggest band in the world. They are the biggest band of the last 25 years. Others have come and gone in the short term, but there's no denying that U2 are the biggest overall in that period. They did that naturally. I don't know why they feel they have to force it now. I don't know why they have such a confidence problem now that they are afraid to just release what comes naturally. It has never failed them.

I want them to go into that studio and let it all fall out of their heads straight into the album. I don't want Larry to force them into restructuring everything so that it will be played on the radio and sell. I'd rather a lead single like Stateless - which would sell 0 copies and play 0 times on the radio - then another tacky Vertigo. They would STILL be the biggest band of the past 25 years if they did that and STILL sell out the following arena tour, but I suspect we'd hear their real spirit back again and get a far more honest, intelligent and emotional album.

I don't believe for a second that they don't have it in them anymore. Bono probably has more interesting stories to tell then ever before - for example, did we really need to just get his interview with Oprah Winfrey set to music on Crumbs, or would you like him to REALLY get angry and put to music the racism he feels is behind the lack of response to his African challenge? I doubt Edge will ever get tired or bored with tinkering with that guitar and making it speak in new ways. Adam and Larry are technically getting better and better with age.

Get back to writing and recording from the heart, not the head.

Earnie, you couldn't have said it any better!

It seems like all their decisions, whether it's songwriting, production, album release date, are all so calculated now... like they're afraid to offend anybody and risk a sales drop a la Pop. There's still so much going on in the world... so much injustice, cruelty (beheadings in Iraq), wars (for freedom/oil/money/power?) etc. There's ENOUGH things to write about!!! And yet they cloak real issues with conservative song lyrics as in Crumbs, so as to not to offend anybody, I guess. What happened to the diatribes about the 'peace makers of the west'? Even the more recent 'Please' was more direct than the modest political stuff they write now.

Just a thought/suggestion, not a complaint.

Zootlesque said:
Earnie, you couldn't have said it any better!

It seems like all their decisions, whether it's songwriting, production, album release date, are all so calculated now... like they're afraid to offend anybody and risk a sales drop a la Pop. There's still so much going on in the world... so much injustice, cruelty (beheadings in Iraq), wars (for freedom/oil/money/power?) etc. There's ENOUGH things to write about!!! And yet they cloak real issues with conservative song lyrics as in Crumbs, so as to not to offend anybody, I guess. What happened to the diatribes about the 'peace makers of the west'? Even the more recent 'Please' was more direct than the modest political stuff they write now.

Just a thought/suggestion, not a complaint.

Alot of truth in what you're saying. Bono has immersed himself in economic problems so much that I think he's become too intellectual to allow his fiery, aggressive side to come out. His personal relationship with the Bush's and Blair's of the world has also tamed his spirit regarding any criticism he might lob their way. He genuinely sees the good in these people, even though they make some bad decisions in his mind. Lastly, he really sees potential on the Africa thing and believes he needs to be nurturing of these leaders rather than alienating. Bono's hopeful and compassionate side is currently winning the day with him. That's why those traits characterize HTDAAB so much.

Layton said:

Believe it or not, I actually agree with this rabble rouser----lol (It's all good, I like reading your posts). I'd love to see a guitar-oriented all out rock album come down the pipeline, too. Problem is, you need some fiery emotional fuel to pull that off. History suggests that artists in their mid to late forties don't pull that off. Maybe U2 can buck that statistic, but there's no doubt in my mind that we as fans should not expect something like that. Especially given that U2 tends to drift toward the more thoughtful side of rock anyway.

Fiery Emotional fuel...exactly. I think the band are to old for this to happen now. Them words were the exact atmosphere when they created Achtung baby, if you read Until the End Of the World. The band were in such emotional turmoil that it dragged the best music out of them. Bono was more focussed, just the music mattered, and I think Bono has lost that focus and intensity for the music. It has to happen cos Bono has more going on now. I think the music has suffered cos of this. You listen to the outtakes of Achtung Baby sessions and you can hear the intensity of these recording sessions. One track that exactly illustrates this is "She's gonna blow your house down", listen to how intense and focussed Bono is on this song shouting out bridge and chorus and driving the band, and you will see what the music is lacking today!:wink:

Earnie Shavers said:

The main problem I hear in the last two albums is that they are trying too hard to be U2 (in the biggest boldest brightest writing). This whole 'biggest band in the world' thing, and their hunger for commercial success - particularly in the US - after Pop is all tied in with that. It's kind of like they are confused about their own identity, they are trying too hard to be what they think 'we' (not just hardcore fans in here, but anyone with ears who has heard of U2) want them to be.

The truth is U2 have always been at their best when they are facing their biggest musical and creative challenges. That's where this God walking into the room thing comes in. You don't really hear much of that on these last albums.

Edge is an amazing guitar player. I'm sure the guy could knock us all up enough riffs for an album of Vertigo's and Elevation's in a week. But do you want that? Or do you want him to try and relate an emotion, a feeling, through his guitar. Do you want his guitar to essentially pick up the pieces that Bono can't describe in words? Which do you want his challenge to be: Edge! Give us a killer riff for the radio! - or - Edge! Create a guitar part that winds through a song and tells a story in such a magical way that that song really doesn't even need lyrics for us to feel what it is about. I want the second one.

Bono is a great, great meaningful songwriter and lyricist and singer. I'm sure the guy could knock out a dozen Original of the Species and Miracle Drugs in a week. Is that what you want? Those screaming for the sake of screaming songs, or do you want him to whisper and croak when it's needed, stretch that voice out when it's needed, soar when it's needed. I love the howling on Love and Peace, as it's pretty much the only song on the album that sounds like it has a bit of Bono's real emotions behind it - something that lacks from 7 or 8 of the songs on that album, but previously never, ever did. Do you want him to be that direct with his lyrics? I think it's not natural to him and thats why they've suffered so much. Do you not understand what he's talking about in songs like One, that still have all the poetry, but are as direct as they come? Or do you want more of the moles digging in holes and the sniffing of babies heads?

Do you want them to set themselves musical challenges, essentially trying very hard to convey a thought and feeling into music, or do you want them to be trying really hard to write hit songs?

If U2 were to really show that they had balls now, they would take the risk of NOT being the biggest band in the world. They are the biggest band of the last 25 years. Others have come and gone in the short term, but there's no denying that U2 are the biggest overall in that period. They did that naturally. I don't know why they feel they have to force it now. I don't know why they have such a confidence problem now that they are afraid to just release what comes naturally. It has never failed them.

I want them to go into that studio and let it all fall out of their heads straight into the album. I don't want Larry to force them into restructuring everything so that it will be played on the radio and sell. I'd rather a lead single like Stateless - which would sell 0 copies and play 0 times on the radio - then another tacky Vertigo. They would STILL be the biggest band of the past 25 years if they did that and STILL sell out the following arena tour, but I suspect we'd hear their real spirit back again and get a far more honest, intelligent and emotional album.

I don't believe for a second that they don't have it in them anymore. Bono probably has more interesting stories to tell then ever before - for example, did we really need to just get his interview with Oprah Winfrey set to music on Crumbs, or would you like him to REALLY get angry and put to music the racism he feels is behind the lack of response to his African challenge? I doubt Edge will ever get tired or bored with tinkering with that guitar and making it speak in new ways. Adam and Larry are technically getting better and better with age.

:sad: I love you.

I love How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb. I love All That You Can't Leave Behind. With ATYCLB U2 went a new direction which was theoretically a risk and they re-established themselves as the biggest band in the world. With HTDAAB they continued this sound and re-re-established themselves as the biggest band in the world. Now they need to re-establish themselves as the greatest band in the world... not for me, they've never lost it for me...but for you (you being those unhappy with U2's current work) and more importantly for themselves.

I'm sure U2 realizes they're playing it safe...God forbid they ever sell less than 3 million copies of an album in the US (forget about the rest of the world). God forbid their lead single isn't EVERYWHERE. God forbid they don't compete with hip hop and rap. You get my drift. U2 has with the last two albums essentially secured themselves a position at the top of the world. The way I see it, they can do whatever the hell they want for the next album, and it will sell. We KNOW the tour will sell out, their next album could be total shit and the tour would still sell out.

U2 is in a position now where they can do whatever they want... they could do another safe, retrospective approach like their last two albums. It would probably be even better than HTDAAB. However, I don't think that's the smart thing to do. Think about it. ATYCLB got rave reviews (from the critics, anyway). It was hailed as U2's "third masterpiece" (a title I'd give to POP, but whatever). HTDAAB, an arguably better album, got good reviews. Not great. Good. Another album in the same vein would probably suffer the same fate as Pop...people get tired of seeing and hearing the same type of thing over and over.

In the late 80's, people got sick of the earnest U2, and the American-sounding, traditional U2. Rattle & Hum didn't do as well as they would have liked. Hell, even U2 was tired of U2...so they re-invented themselves. Achtung Baby. Possibly the greatest album of all time. It did immensely well and U2 was on top again. Zooropa, U2's most experimental album (far more "out there" and "un-U2" than Pop), was able to ride on Achtung's success. However, by the time U2 got to Pop, people were tired of the ironic, experimental U2. Pop suffered because of this. So off U2 goes to re-invent themselves again. With All That You Can't Leave Behind U2 put themselves back on the map. The new U2 is openly honest, radio-friendly, "four guys playing in a room" - the opposite of the dark, ironic, "experimental" U2 of the 90's. Their new strategy has worked thus far - How to Dismantle... is doing well. However, as I said before, another album in the same vein might not do so well. People are beginning to tire of this version of U2. If U2 is going to keep everyone's interest, they're going to have to change again.

So, next album? A classical-rap fusion :wink:

Last edited:
Earnie Shavers said:

I love how your first sentence negates your post.

As for U2 not caring what people think, good luck with that. They changed their sound two times in their career because they didn't care what critics/fans thought plus they're notoroius to ask people around when they are making an album. And they've always been extremely populist and wanting to be the biggest band. Megalomania ring a bell?

Identity crisis? I could think of other albums who have it worse.
The question U2 has been trying to answer with the last three albums I think is "what is it to be a rock band after 33?" I'm not sure they completely figured it out yet.

You might want to speak for yourself about emotions in Edge's guitar and Bono's voice.
Last time I checked everyone agreed on changing the album so you may want to pass the blame on all of them, not just Larry or Bono.

I couldn't care less if Edge finds effect no. 928749384793 or if Bono can write a lyric with 328749387493 meanings. What I care about is the one-on-one connection between the song/listener that they can be so good at if they want to that made them the "people's band". What I care about is the song-writing.

I also think it's naive for someone to think U2 in their 40's should act like U2 in their 20's or 30's. People change.
Also it's a REAL good idea for Bono to one day work with Bush on Africa and write an angry "down with the West" the next day, to waltz up to the politicans the third day. I can just see the money flying.

Last edited:
U2girl said:

I love how your first sentence negates your post.

As for U2 not caring what people think, good luck with that. They changed their sound two times in their career because they didn't care what critics/fans thought plus they're notoroius to ask people around when they are making an album. And they've always been extremely populist and wanting to be the biggest band. Megalomania ring a bell?

Identity crisis? I could think of other albums who have it worse.
The question U2 has been trying to answer with the last three albums I think is "what is it to be a rock band after 33?" I'm not sure they completely figured it out yet.

You might want to speak for yourself about emotions in Edge's guitar and Bono's voice.
Last time I checked everyone agreed on changing the album so you may want to pass the blame on all of them, not just Larry or Bono.

I couldn't care less if Edge finds effect no. 928749384793 or if Bono can write a lyric with 328749387493 meanings. What I care about is the one-on-one connection between the song/listener that they can be so good at if they want to that made them the "people's band". What I care about is the song-writing.

I also think it's naive for someone to think U2 in their 40's should act like U2 in their 20's or 30's. People change.
Also it's a REAL good idea for Bono to one day work with Bush on Africa and write an angry "down with the West" the next day, to waltz up to the politicans the third day. I can just see the money flying.

You're just gonna defend U2-Lite to the bitter end aren't you?

Earnie is right. Perhaps it's more difficult to see when just focusing on HTDAAB, but if you take the concepts he(and others, including myself) are talking about and apply them in the context of other albums or songs, it becomes glaringly obvious.

I'll give you one example. On the behind-the-scenes thing on the DVD that came with limited edition copies of HTDAAB, there is a clip of Lillywhite talking about Sometimes. He says, very directly, that he first heard the version of the song where the chorus was soley the line 'sometimes you can't make it on your own'. And that he told the band that that wasn't a chorus, that it was the payoff of a chorus. That it needed something before it. And that Bono knocked out 'it's you when I look in the mirror/it's you when I don't pick up the phone' in five minutes. FIVE MINUTES. I'm sure it wasn't easy for Bono to write the rest of the song, given the subject matter, but that little bit of it? That's EASY for Bono, methinks. And Lillywhite said that, because he was speaking on behalf of the ADD American music listening public(and I AM American so don't get pissed off at me for saying that). So yes, I think U2 took Lillywhite's advice and took the easy way out and made the song more radio-friendly.

But what if a similar scenario unfolded during the recording of 'One'? What if a producer said, 'we get to carry each other, one' isn't a chorus, that it needed something before it? And what if Bono had obliged and written some sing-songy chorus for it? I can see it now...

we walk together strong
son, daughter, father and mother
we walk together strong
and we get to carry each other
one
(or some equally cheesy/obnoxious block of chorus lyric like that)

They add some crap sing-song-y chorus like that to 'One' and the song never becomes what it is. It wouldn't be nearly as good.

See what I'm saying?

I think that some of you are oblivious to the fact that U2 consists of artists and that art is a form of self-expression.

So, I couldn't care less about how and if they change their sound. I care about the result of it being true, real, a form of self-expression.

During the AB, Zooropa, POP-stages, U2 were more bitter, harder, cynicial on MANY different levels; faith, love, the super-stardom, you name it. They were expressing that. Some fans loved it, others didn't.

Then they took a break, came out with ATYCLB, back to the core, simpler structures, more positive lyrics (allthough there are exceptions there).

Next up, HTDAAB : imo, it's NOT a sequal to ATYCLB, it's deeper, something else, something entirely different. It has different topics, is harder in sound (Love & Peace or else!!) etc...

Remember, these guys have kids now, they reflect on their lives, their marriages, their loved ones, the world, their Faith, etc.

Who on earth are WE to demand how they should sound like?

I want to hear U2 expressing themselves, whichever form it takes. I will not like each album equally, of course, but I dont mind. I try to understand where they're coming from and appreciate the songs starting from there.

I half to agree somewhat with U2girl.

The biggest problem I see with the anti-2000's U2 fans is that you/they simply don't like the last two albums. If you strip away all the other bullshit everyone on these boards used to trash or even defend the band, it all comes down to one question. Do you like the music? Don't get me wrong, it works both ways. Many people here, and I'm not naming names, just really like the new album and automatically think anyone who doesn't like it is a troll or fucking moron or whatever they want to call them. Sometimes, people are fucking morons, and then I'd be the first to say so.

However, what I started to say was that some people simply don't like the new album, but it's wrong to just say that U2 don't give a shit about the music anymore or the fans or whatever. That right there is just ignorance. For example, I don't really like October or War. I do however recognize that they are great albums worthy of any praise they get from people here, I just don't really like them. So the truth is, HTDAAB and ATYCLB ARE great albums. If someone doesn't like them that's just fine, but it's ignorant to say that it's U2-lite. Because what the fuck does that even mean.

That said, it does work both ways, and I'm not an advocate of blind praise, as I also try to view anything with a critical eye. I can see that ATYCLB and HTDAAB have flaws. I can also see that War, Achtung Baby, and POP all also have their flaws. But they are all still strong albums, and albums that U2 poured their heart and soul into making.

Well, I don't know how coherent that came out, but I hope my point was made.

the soul waits said:
I think that some of you are oblivious to the fact that U2 consists of artists and that art is a form of self-expression.

So, I couldn't care less about how and if they change their sound. I care about the result of it being true, real, a form of self-expression.

During the AB, Zooropa, POP-stages, U2 were more bitter, harder, cynicial on MANY different levels; faith, love, the super-stardom, you name it. They were expressing that. Some fans loved it, others didn't.

Then they took a break, came out with ATYCLB, back to the core, simpler structures, more positive lyrics (allthough there are exceptions there).

Next up, HTDAAB : imo, it's NOT a sequal to ATYCLB, it's deeper, something else, something entirely different. It has different topics, is harder in sound (Love & Peace or else!!) etc...

Remember, these guys have kids now, they reflect on their lives, their marriages, their loved ones, the world, their Faith, etc.

Who on earth are WE to demand how they should sound like?

I want to hear U2 expressing themselves, whichever form it takes. I will not like each album equally, of course, but I dont mind. I try to understand where they're coming from and appreciate the songs starting from there.

Great post. :up:

I'm getting the distinct feeling that the reason why some people can't see what was missing from ATYCLB & HTDAAB is because they didn't see it in The Unforgettable Fire, War, Achtung Baby etc etc in the first place.

Earnie Shavers said:
I'm getting the distinct feeling that the reason why some people can't see what was missing from ATYCLB & HTDAAB is because they didn't see it in The Unforgettable Fire, War, Achtung Baby etc etc in the first place.

For arguments sake...what if its the other way around? As in those who really like those two albums do see what you believe to be missing from ATYCLB and HTDAAB but you are the one not getting it this time around?

LJT said:

For arguments sake...what if its the other way around? As in those who really like those two albums do see what you believe to be missing from ATYCLB and HTDAAB but you are the one not getting it this time around?

What if everyone just had their own opinions and no one was right or wrong, just looking at things differently?

And no, I'm not attacking you.

AtomicBono said:

What if everyone just had their own opinions and no one was right or wrong, just looking at things differently?

And no, I'm not attacking you.

Tis fine:wink:

Just a lot of people around seem to be treating their opinion as the definitive truth about the album maybe not saying it is but the suggestion is there...probably something i've been guilty of myself before:huh: Just the continuous discussion of the same issues about the album are in my opinion getting a bit old...ahh well we can't all like the same things and that be the way it is...

LJT said:

Tis fine:wink:

Just a lot of people around seem to be treating their opinion as the definitive truth about the album maybe not saying it is but the suggestion is there...probably something i've been guilty of myself before:huh: Just the continuous discussion of the same issues about the album are in my opinion getting a bit old...ahh well we can't all like the same things and that be the way it is...

If we all liked the same things, that'd be boring :p

I agree, and I'd also like to add that Pop is the greatest album ever, and that's a fact :wink:

The biggest problem I see with the anti-2000's U2 fans is that you/they simply don't like the last two albums. If you strip away all the other bullshit everyone on these boards used to trash or even defend the band, it all comes down to one question. Do you like the music? Don't get me wrong, it works both ways. Many people here, and I'm not naming names, just really like the new album and automatically think anyone who doesn't like it is a troll or fucking moron or whatever they want to call them. Sometimes, people are fucking morons, and then I'd be the first to say so.

Finnaly someone that gets my point!! Thank you, dude!
What has people against ATYCLB and mainly HTDAAB??? Can't you understand that artists are not always the same? Do you know the word "diversification"?
I think that you didn't realy see that there's a phase in an artist's career that he wants to get back to its origins and make a reunion of everything he has learned since its beggining... That's what is happening to U2 now... If you can't accept it... shit happens! That's why you don't understand a bit of musical industry and the thing about create music...
I like the way U2 is flowing and in my point of view that's why HTDAAB is its best album...
I accept that there's people that don't like the album, what I do not accept is the censure to the others tastes... And forums to bash this or that... that's a revelation of lack of musical culture.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom