New Album Discussion 10 - Songs of Sir, this is a Wendy's, durr

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The plot sickens.

I really hope they didn't sneak some imagined versions in with the re-imagineds

Beautiful Day is good. On the whole a very good re imagining. I like it the most of the full songs so far, even though I like the original least.

The rest of the lyrics in that section - ummm not so much. It’s awkward content, and even more awkward delivery cramming it in. Shame.

Stay is one of the 12 songs that we didn’t get a clip of from the audiobook since it’s not one of the 40 chapters. I would imagine they are just avoiding previews of these songs until the album actually drops. Pretty lame tho I was looking forward to this preview the most.

Well, nothing gets me hyped up for a new release like a clip of a 30 year old song. Flawless strategy.

Yeah they are dumb. Their main focus with these clips are the videos when everybody is going to them for the music. I don’t think I’ve paid attention to any of the videos myself. ??*♂️

Maybe the artist wasn't allowed to hear the new version, synced his art to the old version, and when it came time to marry the two, it didn't line up at all so we have this; which honestly serves as a pretty cool alternate video for the original, but doesn't do anything to promote SoS.

This theory goes completely to shit when you think about how the Desire video had to line up perfectly. So, I'm all of 0% serious in what I said above.

now that gives me an idea for a video... :hmm:

3isgcqsvrl055yz87eiggwx5vcrm

It finally leaked. It's good!

I very much dig the approach and instrumentation, AND the reappearance of the “fat lady” voice, but the new lyrics are absolute clunkers that nearly ruin the entire thing.

I really think that in spite of the horrendous choices in marketing and lyricism, this will be a net win for the band. I'm rooting for them. Listening to 40 of their songs with similar instrumentation and production will really bring out the sheer weight of their accumulated songwriting and melodies. If they would have just dropped it all at once on streaming, I think the reception would have been positive, rather than sitting around thinking about the IDEA of it, while they slowly released a couple of clunkers. This is a good one though, and I think even the weaker ones will look better in the context of this extended collection.

I really think that in spite of the horrendous choices in marketing and lyricism, this will be a net win for the band. I'm rooting for them. Listening to 40 of their songs with similar instrumentation and production will really bring out the sheer weight of their accumulated songwriting and melodies. If they would have just dropped it all at once on streaming, I think the reception would have been positive, rather than sitting around thinking about the IDEA of it, while they slowly released a couple of clunkers. This is a good one though, and I think even the weaker ones will look better in the context of this extended collection.

Agreed - this is what I’ve been saying about the fact that the more we hear, the more the project makes sense and has cohesion. I think they’d have been better dropping the 15 track version on announcement to streaming and leading up the physical release that includes all 40 songs that hits streaming on 17 March. The whole project would have made more sense sonically.

When he goes into the high part, he sings “Let it get away” instead of “Don’t let it get away”, which flat out defeats the meaning of the song. I truly don’t understand the appeal of this project. The Rockabye Baby! Lullabye Renditions of U2 album is better musically, and Bono’s vocals are just lame. Sorry.

Back
Top Bottom