New Album Discussion 10 - Songs of Sir, this is a Wendy's, durr

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
When he goes into the high part, he sings “Let it get away” instead of “Don’t let it get away”, which flat out defeats the meaning of the song. I truly don’t understand the appeal of this project. The Rockabye Baby! Lullabye Renditions of U2 album is better musically, and Bono’s vocals are just lame. Sorry.

He definitely hasn’t flipped that around. He just swallows the “don’t”. He does that a lot, he just kind of slims most of the word and hits the next one hard. You get the tail of the “n’t” flowing straight into the “let”

When he goes into the high part, he sings “Let it get away” instead of “Don’t let it get away”, which flat out defeats the meaning of the song. I truly don’t understand the appeal of this project. The Rockabye Baby! Lullabye Renditions of U2 album is better musically, and Bono’s vocals are just lame. Sorry.

I don't think that's true. the first time he sings it, if you listen closely it sounds like he's doing a very quick "Duh-let it get away" the second time he sings Don't in a very pronounced way.

I'll go on record and say this is really good. Like Headache, the bridge lyric change aren't as bad as I thought. In fact, it gave me sort of a Leonard Cohen thought in my head, at a line or two he might write.

Instrumentation is beautiful, I think Bono's vocal take here on the lower quiet register is much better than what we have heard of the full songs so far. Impressive falsetto still.
I've never ranked BD as high as most people in the first place, and I find this one to be on par with it - like an 8 out of 10 for both, and would probably listen to this version over the original now since the first one has been run into the ground after hundreds of listens.

Yeah it’s all pretty good. I think the dead are always with us version would have tipped it over into great for me. Every drop enhances my perception of the whole. Starting to get excited for the rest.

It’s alright. Probably my second favorite of the 4. But that Adam and Eve line is everything which is wrong with recent Bono lyrics

Some people are just determined to hate this. One poster on the U2songs Facebook page said that there was no evidence of Adam or Larry on this track. I mean - the bass is actually very prominent, and while drums and percussion are quite understated on all of them, I imagine this project worked well with his injuries.

Once I heard the falsetto I knew interference would be drooling over this. Very nice version. Bono had to change the lyrics of course for the worse, but it’s a nice enough take. Best one so far.

Some people are just determined to hate this. One poster on the U2songs Facebook page said that there was no evidence of Adam or Larry on this track. I mean - the bass is actually very prominent, and while drums and percussion are quite understated on all of them, I imagine this project worked well with his injuries.

DearestPracticalAngelfish-size_restricted.gif

Just wanted to add this one is the best so far. Bono's voice sounds really good (even the falsetto).

One did nothing but the other 3 are listenable. Looking forward to the rest :wave:

Beautiful day is the best so far imo!

In the meantime Universal/Live Nation started to get nuts with their 50 different colour versions of the album.

I'm into it. Agree the lyrical changes weren't for the better and I still get a little irked by his rushing-through-syllables thing just to sing it differently, but on the whole it's good and at least up there with Pride now.

Am I the only skeptic that thinks that falsetto was possibly ripped from another song and cleverly mixed in here? I mean, they did it with the sampling of old Pride on new Pride. I 100% think it's possible here because it sounds better than any falsetto he's done in over 20 years. Just sayin.

I could believe it’s a current take - a gentle, close-mic approach vs the belted out high notes he used to do 30 years ago

I'm into it. Agree the lyrical changes weren't for the better and I still get a little irked by his rushing-through-syllables thing just to sing it differently, but on the whole it's good and at least up there with Pride now.

Am I the only skeptic that thinks that falsetto was possibly ripped from another song and cleverly mixed in here? I mean, they did it with the sampling of old Pride on new Pride. I 100% think it's possible here because it sounds better than any falsetto he's done in over 20 years. Just sayin.

I think most is current, but I do think the fat lady belting out that long howl may be lifted from the past.

Nah there are recordings of him on his book tour pulling off Zoo TV level falsettos now.

https://youtu.be/ZGPumA8EqLg

Here is my newly obligatory “put the Million Dollar Hotel Soundtrack on streaming platforms” post

Liking it,although the new lyrics are a bit clunky. Here's my ranking so far....

1.pride
2.beautiful day
3.one

4.with or without you.

And that's a distant 4th.

Looking forward to hearing the whole album.

BD is the best one so far. I think because the verses are always sung in a sort of talky lower register, it's not much of a change for Bono's "new" vocal approach. Music sounds great, too. Of course, there are a few weird phrasings from Bono and some questionable lyric rewrites, but oh well.

1. Beautiful Day - This is the best track released so far for sure.

2. With Or Without You - I adore this version. I just wish they would’ve ended it with Shine Like Stars.

3. Pride - This one has grown on me. I thought it was pretty meh at first. Nothing great but also not bad. Recently I’ve been going out of my way to play it now.

4. One - I love the music but am having a hard time getting past the vocal performance. Although, it does sound a lot better when listening to it with the rest of the tracks.

I think the most frustrating thing about WOWY is that it's not done as well as Bono did it on the book tour.

If you haven't already, go take a look at the Stephen Colbert performance. It's far superior, it ends the way that I suggested after hearing it on itunes, where he doesn't end it singing with or without you, leaving this sort of tension hanging in the air.

It's been viewed about a million times, and the comments are over the top glowing. Many of them talking about how this version brought them to tears, how this version of the song was so much more intimate and powerful, etc...

But then the studio version is... pretty good in some parts, not so good in others. Just strange.

So as of now, I would say that we are starting to get a batch of solid tracks.

BD, Pride, Horses (although it seems like its just a straight acoustic version), 11 O'Clock, Stories For Boys, 40 (also not that different from what we've heard). I am liking the clip of COBL.

Desire is ok for me from the clip... I gotta hear more.

Am I missing any?

BD, Pride, Horses (although it seems like its just a straight acoustic version), 11 O'Clock, Stories For Boys, 40 (also not that different from what we've heard). I am liking the clip of COBL.

Am I missing any?

I liked the SBS clip

Am I missing any?

Where’s the clip of cobl

I think the most frustrating thing about WOWY is that it's not done as well as Bono did it on the book tour.

If you haven't already, go take a look at the Stephen Colbert performance. It's far superior, it ends the way that I suggested after hearing it on itunes, where he doesn't end it singing with or without you, leaving this sort of tension hanging in the air.

It's been viewed about a million times, and the comments are over the top glowing. Many of them talking about how this version brought them to tears, how this version of the song was so much more intimate and powerful, etc...

But then the studio version is... pretty good in some parts, not so good in others. Just strange.

Agreed. I don’t really mind the “new” version, but the Colbert/book tour performance is something close to a tour de force. Maybe the so-called talking aspects could prevent it, but hoping at the very least, they might release some version of it down the road, via a live compilation or whatever else.

I think Pride and BD are genuinely good. Right now, I would rather listen to the SOS versions than the album versions, but that’s more because they are new and interesting.

The lonely rainy Christmas version of One is growing on me, although one wishes it would continue its crescendo through “sisters, brothers.” That’s something the modern U2 doesnt do that old U2 did — go for the grand sonic clench at the end (ie, the endings of WOWY or One vs Love is Bigger which could have been Hey Jude if they just went for it).

I still feel like Bono is the weakest link more often than he should be. It’s not so much that his voice is shot it’s that he’s showy with it’s wear tear too often.

But all is fine. This is interesting stuff. And it will get more interesting, and there will be some big whiffs too.

Back
Top Bottom