My impression of u2 in Vienna

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

girlhappy

War Child
I really need to share this. I was at u2 concert 4 times.Last one took place in Vienna, last night. To tell the truth.... it was the concert that made pretty pale impression on me. Its u2 after all.
O.k. fist to basics..it is about set list. I am so angry because they are constantly playing Vertigo two times.Imagine what BONos dear Americans had: An cat dubh, Into the heart, Ocean, 40.?After these ones i could die in piece.Maybe its just me, but then again when Bono had these signs of religions of 3 main religions around his head,,,,it just seemd a bit too much. Coexist is a grat message, but sometimes i think that they are maybe too obsessed with that religion stuff. But thing that really got me:It was Zoo station...reminded me of Verona and zoo tv back in 1993,
and how STRONG, creative and great show that was. I am all into their faith for social injustice, but seems to me they maybe live too well to feel the pain and desperation and that whats deep art is about mostly. They live in comfort with their beautiful wives and kids, in big houses, and they just lost that sense of innocence even though they think they are back to that track. Maybe i am not so young, not 20 any more, but i think that i will go to the MARS to see any show from 1985. Maybe Zoo tv too.
But, to me it was just not so strong. Elevation was much bigger to me.And after good Jahwe live version, 40 would be just perfect to end the show.But no, there was that stupid Vertigo again. And how ironic, they were alwas stressing how they want to end the show in the sense of piece like... Cant help falling in love, 40....
Is this Veretigo REALLY worth enoug to close the show and to be played twice???And do they always have to play safe with hits?
That idea woth early songs was so great, and now they are back to normal. Its just..that "normal thing"" is just not so uplifting.
Any thoughts?
I am really die hard fan for 10 years, thats why this is hard for me

Well, The Vienna show was my first gig yesterday so I am happy that they played mostly their biggest hits and crowdpleasers.

The first first Vertigo was bombastic but I agree that to play it again at the end of the show is not the best decision - I would chose Walk on as the final song :)

Anyway there were fantastic songs and performances yesterday: I will follow, Zoo station, Beautiful Day, New Year's Day, One, Streets, Pride, WOWY (I liked that very much), Sometimes..., City..., so on.

I feel your pain about vertigo 2x, in fact, many of us here have been complaining about it for a while now.

but, be prepared to get flamed by all the u2 ass kissers who are going to say to you:
"they can play whatever they want"
"be happy they're even playing live anymore"
"be happy they even show up for the gig"
"be happy you were born; some people are not even born"

etc.

JOFO said:
I feel your pain about vertigo 2x, in fact, many of us here have been complaining about it for a while now.

What's the big deal about playing it twice? Personally, I think repeated repetition can reinforce, which can be quite resourceful and refreshing...not to mention reinvigorating.

the whole deal about vertigo x2 is full circle, thats the theme, thats the theme of the latest album

they are bringing everything full circle,

girlhappy said:
And after good Jahwe live version, 40 would be just perfect to end the show.But no, there was that stupid Vertigo again.

well, you know they say that you actually have to experience Vertigo 2 and you'll enjoy it, definitely! :| :eyebrow:

thank you, girlhappy, for proving my point that Vertigo 2 sucks. :up: i'm sorry you didn't get 40, but any u2 show is a good u2 show.

40 - :yawn:

If ppl are that DESPERATE to hear a few lines quoted from the bible, then just SING the song yourself down in the crowd! Others will join in too!

angelordevil said:

What's the big deal about playing it twice? Personally, I think repeated repetition can reinforce, which can be quite resourceful and refreshing...not to mention reinvigorating.

I got your sarcasm.:wink:

Re: Re: My impression of u2 in Vienna

discothequeLP said:

well, you know they say that you actually have to experience Vertigo 2 and you'll enjoy it, definitely! :| :eyebrow:

thank you, girlhappy, for proving my point that Vertigo 2 sucks. :up: i'm sorry you didn't get 40, but any u2 show is a good u2 show.

:laugh: Yeah, ONE person that saw it posts they didnt care for it. That definately proves YOUR theory (whatever the hell that is!). So, if 10 people that saw it done, loved it. What does that do to your theory? Is this some type of ratio theory or something? :laugh: :shrug:

Did we really need the EXACT same thread by the EXACT same poster in both forums?? You didnt like the show. Thats fine, I have come away from some U2 shows over the years and thought that wasnt their greatest performance. Do you need some type of reinforcement about your opinion that you need to post it all over?? All you need to do is look at the setlist bitching on other threads in this forum and you will see that you are not alone. U2 fans can be the greatest, but they can also be the bitchiest! :laugh: This forum is proof of that.

Last edited:
Blue room, as u2 fan you should have the sense of sympaty for other , to say at least. I am feeling low because the thrill i always felt after u2 concert is gone, still, i almost cryed when i saw Larry, or Bono i do have deep feelings for this group ,Thats why is so hard. Can you understand???I fdont want to repeat my self it is not just about setlist

girlhappy said:
Blue room, as u2 fan you should have the sense of sympaty for other , to say at least. I am feeling low because the thrill i always felt after u2 concert is gone, still, i almost cryed when i saw Larry, or Bono i do have deep feelings for this group ,Thats why is so hard. Can you understand???I fdont want to repeat my self it is not just about setlist
well move on, find yourself another band if you dont feel the love anymore, because as i said elsewhere alot of people still do,

the setlists are definitely "greatest hits" oriented.

nothing from zooropa and pop.

let's face it - the band are embarassed by them. well, maybe not truly inside, but they know mainstream america didn't get it, so why bother ever digging up material from that period again when you can rather play a throwaway song twice (or three times in one day) in the same concert?

7ofo said it best.

u2's apologists are out in full-tilt these days.

girlhappy said:
I really need to share this. I was at u2 concert 4 times.Last one took place in Vienna, last night. To tell the truth.... it was the concert that made pretty pale impression on me. Its u2 after all.
O.k. fist to basics..it is about set list. I am so angry because they are constantly playing Vertigo two times.Imagine what BONos dear Americans had: An cat dubh, Into the heart, Ocean, 40.?After these ones i could die in piece.Maybe its just me, but then again when Bono had these signs of religions of 3 main religions around his head,,,,it just seemd a bit too much. Coexist is a grat message, but sometimes i think that they are maybe too obsessed with that religion stuff. But thing that really got me:It was Zoo station...reminded me of Verona and zoo tv back in 1993,
and how STRONG, creative and great show that was. I am all into their faith for social injustice, but seems to me they maybe live too well to feel the pain and desperation and that whats deep art is about mostly. They live in comfort with their beautiful wives and kids, in big houses, and they just lost that sense of innocence even though they think they are back to that track. Maybe i am not so young, not 20 any more, but i think that i will go to the MARS to see any show from 1985. Maybe Zoo tv too.
But, to me it was just not so strong. Elevation was much bigger to me.And after good Jahwe live version, 40 would be just perfect to end the show.But no, there was that stupid Vertigo again. And how ironic, they were alwas stressing how they want to end the show in the sense of piece like... Cant help falling in love, 40....
Is this Veretigo REALLY worth enoug to close the show and to be played twice???And do they always have to play safe with hits?
That idea woth early songs was so great, and now they are back to normal. Its just..that "normal thing"" is just not so uplifting.
Any thoughts?
I am really die hard fan for 10 years, thats why this is hard for me

Setlist is a matter of taste, though it should be said it's been a while since U2 played as few hits as this time around. And personally I think the slower Boy songs they dropped didn't do much good to the setlist anyway. I can remember positive posts about Vertigo 2 as well, as well as the tour. 40 is been overdone in the 80's, Bad hardly counts, being played only a few times at the end.

If you were at several U2 shows on more than one tour, why is the Coexist message such a surprise?

Zoomerang96 said:
the setlists are definitely "greatest hits" oriented.

nothing from zooropa and pop.

let's face it - the band are embarassed by them. well, maybe not truly inside, but they know mainstream america didn't get it, so why bother ever digging up material from that period again when you can rather play a throwaway song twice (or three times in one day) in the same concert?

7ofo said it best.

u2's apologists are out in full-tilt these days.

Speaking of bitchy U2 fans, right on queue!! :laugh: Stick to Lemonade Stand, PLEASE!

Re: Re: My impression of u2 in Vienna

I might have bothered to read the whole of the original post if your spelling didn't make my eyes burn and you even tried to break that jumbled mess into a couple of paragraphs.

discothequeLP said:

thank you, girlhappy, for proving my point that Vertigo 2 sucks.

But this quote above just made me laugh. Man, if all that was needed for proof in the real world, I could get one of my friends over here and he could help me "prove" that you are a fucking idiot.

i think u2 know that alot of people won't have seen them live before so will be disappointed if they don't play all the big hits (or alot of them). I went to see them at hampden having seen them once at popmart when i wasn't that big a fan and didn't even own Achtung Baby (Please forgive me father!!) I wanted to hear streets and with or without you etc but hearing "who's going to ride your wild horses" was one of the highlights for me! Maybe because i don't have a copy of that song live. I don't know how i would have felt if alot of hits had been missed out though persoanlly i thought vertigo 2 was brilliant.

some songs work much better live. COBL was so much better in concert than record whereas Miracle Drug was not as great for me (even though i love the album version). U2 though generally know that a song like streets is going to be amazing live. Vertgo will probably get kept for the next tour (if it happens!!) not because it is a standout track from HTDAAB but just because it is great live

why complaining about not closing the show with "40" or whatever instead of Vertigo? You must understand, people, that most of concert goers are at this tour's concerts only ONCE and most of them DO NOT know, for example, what setlists were on the 1st leg in America. And if you all didn't know that, it would be all pretty much surprising for you,too.

tilen said:
why complaining about not closing the show with "40" or whatever instead of Vertigo? You must understand, people, that most of concert goers are at this tour's concerts only ONCE and most of them DO NOT know, for example, what setlists were on the 1st leg in America. And if you all didn't know that, it would be all pretty much surprising for you,too.
dont talk sense, people will just argue with you that your wrong, your only right in some peoples eyes if you bitch and moan

tilen said:

:up:

girlhappy said:
I am just angry because they played Ocean An cat dubh and 40 in America all the time, why not IN eUROPE???????

Cos they love us more!:wink:
If the Americans want to cream over a song that lasts 1:35, and a tune that just borrows lines from the bible - BOTH of which Bono would change the lyrics to anyway, then go for it!

As for me, i'd rather hear ANY song they played at Cardiff TWICE, than hear The Ocean or 40.
The 1 part of 40 that everyone loves, is the "How long to sing this song" part...which you can just start singing yourself! At the end of the main set before the encore! Thousands of others will recognise it and join in, and that gives you something to occupy yourself with till Zoo Station kicks in!:rockon:

JOFO said:

but, be prepared to get flamed by all the u2 ass kissers who are going to say to you:
"they can play whatever they want"
"be happy they're even playing live anymore"
"be happy they even show up for the gig"
"be happy you were born; some people are not even born"

etc.

the last one is hilarious....scary thing is some people may actually feel that way:wink:

Some people here are very agressive by the way to this poor girl who got her dream shattered by our boys lame tourattitude. Give her a break...Stop whining if somebody isn't happy about it. She went so she can complain.....this adoration by some isn't healthy anymore.

NOW GO SEE A DOCTOR DAMNED!!!!!

:wink:

zwervers2 said:
Some people here are very agressive by the way to this poor girl who got her dream shattered by our boys lame tourattitude. Give her a break...Stop whining if somebody isn't happy about it. She went so she can complain.....this adoration by some isn't healthy anymore.

NOW GO SEE A DOCTOR DAMNED!!!!!

:wink:
everyone on u2tours.com went. said there was amazing energy from the band. thats all were trying to say, different opinions,

why the hell are you even going to see them if your so sure they have this lame attitude?

Aardvark747 said:

Cos they love us more!:wink:
If the Americans want to cream over a song that lasts 1:35, and a tune that just borrows lines from the bible - BOTH of which Bono would change the lyrics to anyway, then go for it!

As for me, i'd rather hear ANY song they played at Cardiff TWICE, than hear The Ocean or 40.
The 1 part of 40 that everyone loves, is the "How long to sing this song" part...which you can just start singing yourself! At the end of the main set before the encore! Thousands of others will recognise it and join in, and that gives you something to occupy yourself with till Zoo Station kicks in!:rockon:

amen brother, was i right in thinking you called the cariff gig, your best gig yet?

interesting ;)

Back
Top Bottom