Museum Voor Oude Kunst, Brussels, Belgium Superthread (Six months!)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
btw ax, you might be interested in this building i saw in bucharest the other day. it's the second biggest in the world after the pentagon, and it's like 3km around plus has a fountain in front of it that goes for at least 1km. it's so big they are having an auto race around it this weekend.

The pentagon is the biggest building the world?

Oh yes, I wrote about that earlier. I felt so bad for Churandy Martina, since if he hadn't been stripped of the silver, it would have only been the second medal the Netherlands Antilles has ever won, and they'll likely cease to exist as a political entity before the next Games. And I also felt bad for Spearmon, since he was celebrating his bronze for AGES before he noticed he was disqualified.

Usain Bolt was just mindblowingly awesome, though.
apparently he's just an anomaly, physically, for the sport, someone so tall who can also run so fast.

also i heard that maybe the reason he didn't run all out for all of the 100 (not sure if he also slowed down in the 200) is that he wanted to be able to break his world record again at a non-olympics meet, where there's lots of money for breaking a wr.

btw ax, you might be interested in this building i saw in bucharest the other day. it's the second biggest in the world after the pentagon, and it's like 3km around plus has a fountain in front of it that goes for at least 1km. it's so big they are having an auto race around it this weekend.

Woah, that's crazy. Especially that fountain. What the hell's this building for?

i'm jealous!!! i've gotten quite into him this summer, i'd love to see him.

I thought the last show of the tour was Hershey, PA the other day, little did I know there's still three more plus the Harley anniversary show in Milwaukee, and I will be in St. Louis when he is...Ax, Khan, and others believe it's fate, as do I, so how could I NOT go?

apparently he's just an anomaly, physically, for the sport, someone so tall who can also run so fast.

also i heard that maybe the reason he didn't run all out for all of the 100 (not sure if he also slowed down in the 200) is that he wanted to be able to break his world record again at a non-olympics meet, where there's lots of money for breaking a wr.

Yeah, the guy's just a freak. And watching him, you can see he's done the training to actually get an advantage out of his height. His stride is incredible.

I hadn't heard that theory, though it sure sounds plausible. I'm willing to bet he can run the 100m in a flat 9.6. In the 200m, he didn't slow down - he ran that all out right to the finish. And was doing it with wind resistance! The record was 19.32; he was initially recorded as 19.31, then the authorities rounded it down to 19.3 flat due to the wind resistance he was facing.

Woah, that's crazy. Especially that fountain. What the hell's this building for?
it was, of course, built by the communist leader. you know, for the people??

now it's used as a parliament building or somesuch. i'd know more but the damned thing was closed for tours after i walked over in the heat, because of the auto race. i am gonna try and loop back to bucharest when it's open again, though.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Palace_of_the_Parliament

Yeah, the guy's just a freak. And watching him, you can see he's done the training to actually get an advantage out of his height. His stride is incredible.

I hadn't heard that theory, though it sure sounds plausible. I'm willing to bet he can run the 100m in a flat 9.6. In the 200m, he didn't slow down - he ran that all out right to the finish. And was doing it with wind resistance! The record was 19.32; he was initially recorded as 19.31, then the authorities rounded it down to 19.3 flat due to the wind resistance he was facing.
9.6 is exactly what the track star who told me the theory said he could maybe do.

:lmao: They all just fail at drinking!

Clearly! Lame arses. Leaving it to me to bring on the drunken lulz. Honestly, I wonder if it wasn't a plot to get me to pass out and write on me.

My bro had 35% alcohol Spiced Rum and barely touched it! :down:
I, on the other hand, had probably damn near half the bottle of my drink! I really couldn't tell you the exact amount because the bottle is dark and you can't see it.

Edge's SBS :drool:

Yeah, the first song that comes to mind when you say over-sung is Kite. He hit the High C again and now he thinks he can sing like he used to. Uh, nope. Sorry. Stop it. The big opera voice worked in the 80's, but now you're just trying too hard, dude.

At the fifth leg Vertigo Tour shows, he surprisingly really pulled off Kite. I do wish he'd give up on singing Pride live, though. That's just a joke and shows how much of his voice he's lost.

Probably the one recent song I think is most over-sung is SYCMIOYO. He's trying too much on that one. I don't really think the supposedly epic "siiiiiiiing" note really sounds that great.

well, that's what some other tourist told me. the wiki page says it's the largest civilian administrative building, which leaves the pentagon as a military building.

and the heaviest building in the world too. damn.

The Pentagon in Washington D.C.? How the f*** is that the largest building in the world?

At the fifth leg Vertigo Tour shows, he surprisingly really pulled off Kite. I do wish he'd give up on singing Pride live, though. That's just a joke and shows how much of his voice he's lost.

Probably the one recent song I think is most over-sung is SYCMIOYO. He's trying too much on that one. I don't really think the supposedly epic "siiiiiiiing" note really sounds that great.

I'll admit, I cringed when he sang "siiiiing" during U23D

it was, of course, built by the communist leader. you know, for the people??

now it's used as a parliament building or somesuch. i'd know more but the damned thing was closed for tours after i walked over in the heat, because of the auto race. i am gonna try and loop back to bucharest when it's open again, though.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Palace_of_the_Parliament

Oooh, I remember that now! Seeing the picture on Wikipedia is what jogged my memory. Typical fucking Ceaucescu, really. God, that guy was a fucking nut, and about four sandwiches short of a picnic.

i'm currently updating my blog and i really wish blogger had the tool to toggle the size of the text entry box that the current interference does.

9.6 is exactly what the track star who told me the theory said he could maybe do.

I think it was Donovan Bailey who said that in an interview that he believes Bolt could even get down to 9.58. That would be nothing short of amazing.

What shits me about SYCMIOYO is it's...apologetic... "My dad's been an asshole for most of my life, but I'm going to write sappy drivel. And my mum died suddenly when I was a kid and never really fucked me up, but I've written a hundred angry songs about her and about her death."

Only in Bono's mind does that make sense.

What shits me about SYCMIOYO is it's...apologetic... "My dad's been an asshole for most of my life, but I'm going to write sappy drivel. And my mum died suddenly when I was a kid and never really fucked me up, but I've written a hundred angry songs about her and about her death."

The way I look at it is that people deal with things differently.
But there's a difference between dealing with something and running it into the ground. Or beating a dead horse. :shrug:

Clearly! Lame arses. Leaving it to me to bring on the drunken lulz. Honestly, I wonder if it wasn't a plot to get me to pass out and write on me.

My bro had 35% alcohol Spiced Rum and barely touched it! :down:
I, on the other hand, had probably damn near half the bottle of my drink! I really couldn't tell you the exact amount because the bottle is dark and you can't see it.
that's always the smartest, the dark bottle. what you don't know can't hurt you!

To be fair, he'd already done the "I'm angry at my Dad" songs, like Dirty Day and Father Is An Elephant. But yeah, SYCMIOYO's tone bugs me. It's so goddamn plodding too. Look, Bono, we get it, your relationship with your old man was dodgy. But do you really have to drag your feet and trudge through it all like such a mopey bastard?

I dunno, here I'll step in and defend the poor guy. Everyone's got fucked up relationships with various people, and songwriters draw upon their relationships, particularly the fucked up ones, to write. :shrug:

I liked the walking man :whistle:

I just think it got bloody repetitive and tiresome. Did it have to keep doing the same thing for the whole song? The song's slow and drawn out as it is! The walking man just rammed that home.

I always got the impression that Bono really loved his dad in spite of it all, and that his dad loved him even though he was an ass. Hence the song, trying to work it all out in his mind.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom