Movie Reviews Part the 12th: Does Gimli hate file conversions as well? Stay tuned!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Cruising - great film , scarry , neurotic ,insanity in the urban jungle , look in the mirror , see yourself , al Pacino deserves an oscar for it

So, Le Havre was brilliant. A great hommage to Melville (lots from Le Samouraï and Army of Shadows in there). I'll post a longer review when I can!

Paranormal Activity is one of the worst movies I've ever seen. Godawful dialogue (Fuck! Shit! Hell! Piss! Ugh! Fuck!) and acting, with the "frightening" portions being given a youtube video aesthetic that The Ring's lineage ran into the ground, removing almost all the terror. The great moments are hidden in the details, and if you watch closely you might be spooked. Maybe if this had limited to no dialogue it could be worth the hype. This is just a shitty, shitty movie with some vaguely scary/derivative parts.

So, Le Havre was brilliant. A great hommage to Melville (lots from Le Samouraï and Army of Shadows in there). I'll post a longer review when I can!

Huzzah! So happy to hear. Glad you decided to see it.

Red Riding Hood

Stupid movie, so bad its good actually:lol:

Gary Oldman stole the show because he was the one who knew what part he had to play

The cliched villain, who was on the side of good, who was also meant to be charismatic

^ that didnt make a lot of sense, but Gary Oldman pulled it off

2 stars

Didn't Gary Oldman say years ago that he never wanted to play another villain? That's all I could think whenever I saw ads for that movie. Which is good, because it prevented me from thinking about anything else to do with it.

I saw that, I remember enjoying it while I was in the theater, I think it looked good on the screen.

So enjoyable, but not memorable at all.

Didn't Gary Oldman say years ago that he never wanted to play another villain? That's all I could think whenever I saw ads for that movie. Which is good, because it prevented me from thinking about anything else to do with it.

He played a villain of some kind but a different kind of villain

More like a Mister Burns charismatic kind of villain

but got COMPROMISED in his role :lol: because he was on the side of the good guys

Yet he could still channel out some kind of performance because he is Gary Oldman

Other funny aspects for Red Riding Hood, Amanda Seyfried's wooden acting, she had 2 facial expressions throughout the film and didnt smile throughout. The director is the same person as the one who directed Twilight and she managed to change what everyone expected for Red Riding Hood: um isnt it supposed to be a girl who wears red who goes into the woods to meet her grandmother only to find out that her grandma had gone hiding in the dresser where the wolf has taken her grandmother's place?

But no! Lets make it more like Twilight

I still think that Sirius Black in the Prisoner of Azkaban was the best possible role for him, and one of the best casting choices in memory. The audience knows Gary Oldman for playing so many villains, and for the majority of the story you're supposed to believe Sirius Black is the villain... dun dun dun.

I totally agree on that one. Gotta love the back from the dead reveal moment in TDK.

And Christopher Nolan's smart. He knows how to bag great character actors to elevate his clunky-ass scripts.

Paranormal Activity is one of the worst movies I've ever seen. Godawful dialogue (Fuck! Shit! Hell! Piss! Ugh! Fuck!) and acting, with the "frightening" portions being given a youtube video aesthetic that The Ring's lineage ran into the ground, removing almost all the terror. The great moments are hidden in the details, and if you watch closely you might be spooked. Maybe if this had limited to no dialogue it could be worth the hype. This is just a shitty, shitty movie with some vaguely scary/derivative parts.

Agreed. Total crap. Blair Witch Project bad crap. Only good thing is I didn't get sucked into Paranormal Activity 2....sadly last night I saw a preview on TV for Paranormal Activity 3.

And Christopher Nolan's smart. He knows how to bag great character actors to elevate his clunky-ass scripts.

I wouldn't call Memento's screenplay 'clunky-ass' and he adapted/wrote that solo unlike all of his films since (with the exception of Inception), but I definitely agree to a degree that his actors raise the material, particularly in his fantastical films like the Batman movies and Inception, it takes a lot of gravitas to pull off films that take themselves so seriously that are actually ridiculous if you think about them.

All of his films can be considered "fantastical" to a certain degree when you're dealing with magicians, dreams, memory loss, and superheroes. Not to beat on a self-serious horse, but I think that Nolan tries his damnedest to philosophize and literalize (mostly through dialogue explaining character motivations and thematic points) more exciting and pulpy material. To that end, I don't think that Inception succeeds as a heist movie, espionage thriller or a movie about dreams, but rather as a Nolan movie; he has his brand established and people love it.

Agreed on all counts. With the exception of Insomnia being lumped in with the 'fantastical' and speechifying character motivations, but then he didn't write that one.

Not to the same degree the others are, but it does strain credulity with the lengths Pearce's character goes and the 'successes' he has in spite of his disability. Insomnia and somewhat, Following, are the only ones I wouldn't put in the fantastical category.

My thoughts on Warrior

Just finished seeing Warrior... amazing film. It made me cry (but I'm a sap). I hope Joel wins awards for it. Not sure how realistic the fights were in terms of two underdogs winning through to the final cos I don't watch UFC/MMA much but they worked for me. Loved the added element they gave the plot with Tommy's backstory; it ensured you felt a bit conflicted as to who to root for which many movies don't do. Would have liked a bit more on Brendon's life but the film runs 140 minutes as is. HIMYM connection with the announcer played by the dude who plays Bilson, GNB boss. Wonderfully bookended by The National. Great stuff.

The Ides of March... was disappointing :depressed: I don't know why, but I just kinda expected it to be "bigger." As it stands, the best way I can describe it, I guess, is as a straight-laced "Primary Colors," but with fewer plot points.

Not a bad movie by any means... a solid 7/10 from me.

So, Drive was as great as everyone has been saying. The opening sequence with Gosling's badass "five minutes" speech and the sly getaway was fucking perfect and totally hooked me right off the top. Nice supporting performance by Blake Griffin and the Staples Center there, as well.

The way the movie built the bond between Gosling and Mulligan (who I'm sort of in love with now) and her son without much dialogue is impressive, at least for a slick crime movie in this day and age. Loved all the shots of L.A. lit up at night. Loved seeing our boy Cranston, who I didn't know was going to be in it. "He couldn't find pussy in a whorehouse."

Anyway, awesome shit.

I saw the new Almodo'var

The Skin I Live In - a solid 7.5 perhaps an 8

nice to see Banderas in a solid dramatic role,
(maybe he will get an oscar nom for Puss and Boots)

the actress is beautiful, I saw her in both Point Blank and Cairo Time (also good films)

she makes a bigger impression in this film.

1/10 Incendies. Stupid incest movie with a ridiculous plot. No wonder the critics like it.

6.5/10 Thor. The humor was good and some of the action was okay but the fault is in the lack of chemistry between Thor and his girlfriend researcher. It's worth a rent but not much more than that.

5/10 13 Assassins. It starts off well but by the end the action is repetitive and boring, the characters aren't well developed, and some of the events at the end can only be called crazy. I would prefer to watch Seven Samurai anyday.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom