Moment Of Surrender Appreciation Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I think this is one of their career highlights. My only gripe is that I would prefer it to fade out instead of coming to a complete stop, something U2 has unfortunately had a problem with this decade (there's only like 2 songs on the last 3 albums that fade out).

In my opinion Bono's strongest vocal in god knows how long, probably since Zooropa.

I said it in another thread, but if this doesn't win a Song of the Year or Record of the Year Grammy someone is going to have to die. Lyrically and musically there are few artists who could deliver something like this trip hop-gospel masterpiece.

Yeah, agreed. It's my new favorite U2 song ever. It's from another universe! It has Lanois and Eno's fingerprints all over it, and the band just had a spectacular take.

Is this the one that Will.I.Am has remixed, or was that Magnificent?

It took me a few listens and nearly 2 days, but I'm starting to fall in love with this. The grooving bass does not get out of my head anymore.

By the way, anyone else think of "Stay" during the "ooohohoooooooh"s?

This song rules no matter what.

The 'ooohhhhs' I just ignore, I would not even know them if no one mentioned them, but i'll stick with my original view, this will be U2's best Gospel song. This is the type of song (with the Gospel) that will bring Grammys to their knees.

I still cannot get over how amazing this song is... obviously, I feel that way for the whole album, but it's this song I keep coming back to and this song I think'll be one of my all time favourites in years to come.

HURRAH!

I still cannot get over how amazing this song is... obviously, I feel that way for the whole album, but it's this song I keep coming back to and this song I think'll be one of my all time favourites in years to come.

HURRAH!

I agree with you, this song is gonna be a HUGE grower.

HURRAH!

I think Moment of Surrender is the track I've listened to the most. :up:
(not counting nloth and boots when they first came out)
But tonight I heard MOS for the first time as loud as I wanted to, really heard the lyrics and the entire arrangement. I broke down and cried. I haven't done that in a long time.
It's dredging up something in my soul. I love, love love, it
Cedars is almost doing it too. Very emotional this album is, :heart:

Anyone else tearing up just a bit ?

It's kind of pathetic, but I actually couldn't even think about this song for a while without tearing up. :sad:

I find it kind of amazing how many of us have been choked up by this song, considering U2 are not exactly new to emotional or spiritual songs. I don't know what it is about this one, it's just so...

It's growing on me. I absolutely adore the last minute or so. It's the sound of a great chord progression developing naturally and closing on a fantastic note.

It's growing on me. I absolutely adore the last minute or so. It's the sound of a great chord progression developing naturally and closing on a fantastic note.

and it makes you cry for hours in the fetal position :wink:

Seriously though I'm just not all too sure about Moment yet. It feels a little.....forced.

A forced 'moment' on the album akin to SYCMIOYO or Stuck. It just feels like they were trying to make something special and didn't quite make it. Streets, One or Stay never felt forced.

It's hard to explain but essentially I guess I'm just not feeling it.....yet.

and it makes you cry for hours in the fetal position :wink:

Seriously though I'm just not all too sure about Moment yet. It feels a little.....forced.

A forced 'moment' on the album akin to SYCMIOYO or Stuck. It just feels like they were trying to make something special and didn't quite make it. Streets, One or Stay never felt forced.

It's hard to explain but essentially I guess I'm just not feeling it.....yet.

That too.

You're 23 years old, so you couldn't have been a fan in the '80s. Could it be that not knowing everything about the making of Streets, One, and Stay upon hearing them made those songs feel more special and spontaneous to you? We've had Moment of Surrender shoved down our throats for months.

For the record, my expectations of MOS were very low simply because of the hype. There was no way it could have possibly lived up to that. It's a very good song, no more, no less.

That too.

You're 23 years old, so you couldn't have been a fan in the '80s. Could it be that not knowing everything about the making of Streets, One, and Stay upon hearing them made those songs feel more special and spontaneous to you? We've had Moment of Surrender shoved down our throats for months.

For the record, my expectations of MOS were very low simply because of the hype. There was no way it could have possibly lived up to that. It's a very good song, no more, no less.

Maybe

but I've tried not to buy into the hype surrounding it. My expectations for MOS were no more high than they were for any other song on this album.

Songs like NLOTH and breathe seem effortlesly and subtly beautiful. MOS does not

I find it kind of amazing how many of us have been choked up by this song, considering U2 are not exactly new to emotional or spiritual songs. I don't know what it is about this one, it's just so...
Bono...like seeing his soul, or his pain, or his joy or his capacity to love or his need for it, or his own destruction or redemption or....perhaps, ours.

I don't know, but whatever it is, it's beautiful and I'm grateful.

(and sober, swear)

That too.

Why be so much hard assed LemonMelon over with the 23 old, everyone is here for the same thing.

As I suggested yesterday, in blasphemous fashion I went ahead and created a fade out version, which ends right before that last drum crash. It lops off the last 8 seconds; I don't think I'm missing that little R.E.M. New Adventures-sounding guitar part at the end, which is a bit of dissonance that doesn't work for me. The fade helps to stay in the trance-like vibe the song induces, and then you're slowly brought out by the birds of Unknown Caller begin, a very nice way to "wake up".

Now if I could only get that custom Crazy Tonight version without the "baby bay baby" part...

As I suggested yesterday, in blasphemous fashion I went ahead and created a fade out version, which ends right before that last drum crash. It lops off the last 8 seconds; I don't think I'm missing that little R.E.M. New Adventures-sounding guitar part at the end, which is a bit of dissonance that doesn't work for me. The fade helps to stay in the trance-like vibe the song induces, and then you're slowly brought out by the birds of Unknown Caller begin, a very nice way to "wake up".

Now if I could only get that custom Crazy Tonight version without the "baby bay baby" part...

You don't like the "baby baby baby" part? I think it's perfectly placed.

Maybe

but I've tried not to buy into the hype surrounding it. My expectations for MOS were no more high than they were for any other song on this album.

Songs like NLOTH and breathe seem effortlesly and subtly beautiful. MOS does not

Though you probably know how much I love NLOTH and Breathe by now (they're my #2 and #1 favorites, respectively), I tend to agree with those who feel that MOS is a nice, refreshing change of pace and not forced at all. My only issue with it is the lack of actual change within the song itself; it tends to drift, and the music almost feels like a loop at times. This is probably why I love that "New Adventures-sounding guitar part" at the end. Not only does it snap you out of the song's hypnosis, but it compliments the melody really well.

Though you probably know how much I love NLOTH and Breathe by now (they're my #2 and #1 favorites, respectively), I tend to agree with those who feel that MOS is a nice, refreshing change of pace and not forced at all. My only issue with it is the lack of actual change within the song itself; it tends to drift, and the music almost feels like a loop at times. This is probably why I love that "New Adventures-sounding guitar part" at the end. Not only does it snap you out of the song's hypnosis, but it compliments the melody really well.

That's certainly a valid read. But don't you think there's a problem with the band not wanting to end ANY songs with a fade? It's like everything has to be so damned concise! I like the idea of the eternal with certain tracks, giving the illusion that they go on forever.

That's certainly a valid read. But don't you think there's a problem with the band not wanting to end ANY songs with a fade? It's like everything has to be so damned concise! I like the idea of the eternal with certain tracks, giving the illusion that they go on forever.

Oh, I completely agree that a number of these songs deserve fadeouts. Magnificent is a good example. Unknown Caller is definitely another. But God, MOS fading out with hardly any change in the chord progression for 6-7 minutes? I treasure those last 30 seconds.

Fuck I just love this song more and more.

You get the sense of a drug addicted person gets his/her "vision over visibility" about his/her plight. An internal dialogue that others don't notice and he/she doesn't notice others due to this revelation.

"Every eye looking every other way waiting until the pain would stop." People trying to stay away from the person on the subway but in the moment of surrender "I did not notice the passers by and they did not notice me." He/she is internally reflecting.

I think this is one of their career highlights. My only gripe is that I would prefer it to fade out instead of coming to a complete stop, something U2 has unfortunately had a problem with this decade (there's only like 2 songs on the last 3 albums that fade out).

In my opinion Bono's strongest vocal in god knows how long, probably since Zooropa.

I said it in another thread, but if this doesn't win a Song of the Year or Record of the Year Grammy someone is going to have to die. Lyrically and musically there are few artists who could deliver something like this trip hop-gospel masterpiece.

Do they give out Song of the Year for non-singles? MOS is hardly a lock to be a single.

Back
Top Bottom