miss sarajevo

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

julesz

Babyface
Sorry about the messed up post. I'm really getting into this track, it's a real beauty isn't it. I love pavarottis bit it really sounds sublime to me. Could anyone enlighten me with the full meaning of the song, i have an idea but it would be great to hear your views take care - jules

Well "Miss Sarajevo" was an actual documentary about a beauty pageant held in the midst of a city torn by war. The song just asks the question is their time for something so "trivial" when people are dying outside.

I understand this song in a different way, the author is in wonder about how people can still manage to live a near "normal" life in their extraordinary conditions, how laughter, contests and simple, trivial things can make their way in the middle of bombing and death, and that these things are what make it possible for people to bear the situation, the counterpart comes when he talks about love (the part in Italian) here we can see the real desperation they are living in, that's why they can't believe in or hope for love anymore, even if we are telling them it will come back in the end. They are living a simulation of normal life in order not to die from mere panic.
I hope I will never forget the picture of the beauty contest it is inspired in, I mean the one with all the girls carrying a poster that reads "Don't let them kill us".

Last edited:
Thanks Marien

Thanks for your post Marien it makes a lot of sense and connection now when i hear the song in the light of your words. Begiinin to feel excited about the new album now as well, hope excitement is justified. -jules

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom