MERGED ----> Thoughts on a tour's second anniversary... + part two

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ottofilm

The Fly
Thoughts on a tour's second anniversary...

Okay so I meant to sit down and write a paragraph or two about the tour anniversary, share a snippet of the story behind my many thousands of tour photos, and it got completely out of hand. (Funny, just like my tour.) All these words, and I just barely get TO Miami by the end of it. But if you're bored or need a break from war news, hey, it's something to do. There are some updates about my site at the bottom, if you want to just scroll really fast to the links. (If you're saying "what site?", it's http://www.u2photos.com, with 2,000 original photos from 64 U2 shows over two tours.)

--

Thoughts on a tour's second anniversary...

Someday I need to write down a longer version of the events that led to this day, the beginning of a fifty thousand mile journey on the map and somehow, an even greater distance in my head. I meant to, actually, so that the six people interested in reading this story could do it with the proper background. I spent a couple of nights on a grape farm once, and the farmer liked to take you out amongst the vines and show you the different types of grapes, how this seven foot elevation change makes it just slightly cooler and better for this grape over that, how the composition of the soil gets into the taste of it. You could see bits of this and that in the dirt - this soil here is chemically like a certain part of the south of France, and that soil over there is just like this part of the Napa Valley - and then you could taste bits of this and that when he handed you a grape growing right above it. Back in the house he'd pull out (frequently award-winning) bottles of wine made from his grapes, and then you could taste not just the wine, but the soil and the elevation and the rain and the air in that corner of Pennsylvania and everything. Without the background, all you see in the bottle is some grape juice.

(Okay, so all I see is some grape juice. I'm sure there are Wine People out there who would mock my childlike fascination with that. Yes, I wore out a copy of How Things Work when I was a kid, and yes, I thought the giant grape-picking machine that goes over the entire vine like some sort of alien space ship and moved down the row getting all the grapes. So sue me.)

But a) I didn't get it done before the anniversary came around, and while I have plenty of external reasons I could blame it on the reality is I just didn't get it done; and b) I think we all have a story that's somehow similar and maybe you don't need all that much detail on mine. Unlike the artful crafting of a bottle of wine, I think we're mostly born this way: I think some of a love - no, a NEED - for music is genetic, not just from generation to generation but woven into our fabric from the start. We've got exactly 163 countries, 5,604 cultures and 12,203 languages on this planet, but everyone has music. Okay, I guessed at all those numbers without so much as a Google search for "facts". But you know it's true - we all have a heart, and the beating of that heart leads to a drum, with a drum as a heart a life is created outside the individual, surrounding and embracing all who hear it: the tribe around the campfire, the buddies listening to the bar band, children with their kindergarten teacher, or 18,000 people in an arena.

--

But I get ahead of myself. We do all have a different soil composition around our feet and if you follow the analogy out to a marginally logical extreme, variations in taste are to be expected. I'm still trying to figure out what's in my soil, and maybe that's the reason I'm writing, for me: trying to map how I got here. I know the basic components: about half English, about half German, and a sixteenth or so Irish. (I'd like to say that sixteenth helps me get into trouble and out of boredom, but it's not that easy.) I don't get the feeling that all that much musicnessity (yeah, sure, it's a word NOW) came from my mom's side of things, but dad was from a small west Texas oil town. The sandy soil and roughnecks tuned his internal radio to Bob Wills and Johnny Cash and Hank Williams; the internal smirk that so often means "smartass" (I've got it, I'm sure) brought in the Elvis. It sucked him in so far that when he died his memorial service was held on the stage of the Grand Ole Opry, attended by the stars and musicians he wrote about for a living. His card didn't say "writer" or "researcher" or the most apt title, "music historian" - they just said "country music." Reality forced me to sell nearly his entire collection - a good 50,000 albums, 45's, 78's, tapes, CD's - but it wasn't really my music, and I felt someone who heard that in their heart should have it. (A music library foundation ended up with it.)

Proof it's genetic: barring any mishaps, in about a month I'll have a daughter. She kicks inside her mother when there's coffee, when there's sugar, when there's been something good to eat. She kicks hard at scary movies. There's a fair amount of music playing in the house, but she never responded to any of it with anything specific until one night while watching Conan she started moving in motion - dancing, perhaps - to a bluegrass band. Bluegrass! I am my father's son. And she clearly will be my father's granddaughter. The part of that equation after the equal sign - that she will be her father's daughter - hit me for the first time that night. I have no idea who she will grow up to be, what she will do with her life, what beats will move her. Rock and trip hop and a bit of the blues ended up in my dirt, along with about a thousand other things. But I know the core has that bit of west Texas in it - from my father's collection, I did keep everything Johnny Cash has ever recorded. I wonder what 25 or 50 years or whatever from now, she'll keep from mine.

--

Well, that's getting way, way ahead of myself. Back to... Florida. When I went off to film school, I tried to start fresh. I had a miserable time in high school, taunted and mocked for looking and acting weird to the point where I wondered if changing my name when I went to Orlando would help. (Glad now I didn't do it.) I knew I hadn't found my element yet and I was hoping I could find it in the film business, as I love movies as much (but differently) than music. I tried to start fresh, and I mentioned casually to my dad one day that I need new music. Huey Lewis and the News was fine when you were 14, but... I was sensing something missing. Dad didn't have a lot of money (writing about music? hahahahaha) but a few days later a reasonably sizable check arrived in the mail with a note: "This ain't the rent. Don't forget the music. Love, Dad." I thought at the time it was wonderfully extravagant. Today, I realize it was like oxygen. (And that couple of hundred bucks didn't put as much into my musical gas tank as the kids in the generation behind me can get for next to nothing with Napster before and now Kaaza. I know where I got... how far are all of THEM going to go?) I started hitting a used store called "Sell-Trade-Buy" (the order the owner would rather do business in, he said) and experimenting with the drug that is five inch aluminum discs. Frankly, I was a slow learner. I found things I really should have found in high school (Depeche Mode) and things that were perhaps not the most challenging thing in the world even if they're really good (Tom Petty). I completely missed things I should have hit while they were new (took me years to buy Pretty Hate Machine and to be honest I can't remember how long it took me to find Nirvana, which exploded ALL OVER the music world while I was at school... doh!) and things I should never admit to having bought (anyone need a Jane Child CD? It's a collector's item, I swear).

And then one day in the fall "The Fly" came on the radio.

I will pile onto my musical stupidity up to this point by admitting I knew OF all these songs that were on one album by one band and it was Joshua Tree or something, but I'd never bought it. (In my defense, I was mostly buying used CD's to save money, just sort of letting my tastes be guided by what's in the bins, and Joshua Tree for many years never turned up used ANYWHERE I ever was.) But this... this...

As I write this, I just put it on. No, not loud enough. Back up, start over. How did I not melt an amp with this twelve years ago? Listen to that. Listen to the dirt in that guitar. There is bite to it, heft. It's full of rust, the soil this comes from. Bad for grapes, excellent for guitars. And in the singer's voice... you can see with your ears a smirk. Dad's smirk got him Elvis. Mine got me Bono.

--

"Mysterious Ways" was next up, and it just pulled me in more. The lyrics pulled me somewhere good but alien, matching my opinion of Florida after a lifetime significantly further north. The album release was my first midnight onsale experience, and from the first moment of "Zoo Station" I went somewhere new. I don't think I've come back.

Lucky for me, the band decided to start the Zoo TV tour in Florida, about a half an hour from where I lived.

--

Here I need to abbreviate heavily because there's no way to do justice to the next big chunks of the story in the amount of time I've got today. I have no photos from ZooTV to speak for my experiences and telling that part of the story properly will have to come another day. We'll have to sum it up as a bit of legwork and luck helped me into four tickets to the Miami show. Three friends from school went with me, two days early, and we headed for the Keys, figuring it was better than 8am lectures in classes only marginally related to our degree. I learned you can't pick a fight in a tourist bar (one of my friends is a former navy sub engineer and gets bored fast) and that sunsets over water move me so that I knew I had to head to the west coast as soon as I graduated; the fact that the film business was there was just sort of a bonus. And in a decaying old arena in a rough part of downtown Miami I learned the band's dirty little secret: while they've made incredible, life-altering albums, selling many many many millions of copies, winning piles of Grammys ... they're really a live band. We drove back in the night, arriving after five in the morning, all of us with a lecture in three hours. I was dropped off first, the only one in a different apartment complex, and I stood outside for a few minutes. An early March dawn where I come from stings you alive, the briskness of a winter that refuses to let go yet slapping you into the present. In Florida it's warm and alive with a constant lazy breeze and humidity that dances across you, a gentleness that awakens all your senses without assaulting them. Something in my mind was still in the guitar and lights, was still in that crowd in Miami witnessing something unlike anything it has witnessed before. Maybe that sounds like hooey: it's a band on a stage with a hell of a show and that's that. But I was in Florida to learn, to let things mold my impressionable self. This was just a class not on my official schedule.

--

Skip forward: graduation, and Los Angeles as soon as the fires from the riots die down. Outside Broadcast comes around and I hit all three southern California shows. I've never seen anything of that scale in my life. I'd done a little theater tech in high school and a buzz pass at community college, and this to me was theater, a show, of a new magnitude. There's more to tell, but it must wait until another day.

Skip way forward: I thought I had all that silly childish rock and roll stuff out of my system - movies were my future, I was sure - and I planned to go to all of two PopMart shows: Los Angeles, where I was living, and Las Vegas, because that was the start of the tour and it was only four hours away. Las Vegas was not a good time for me for personal reasons - a story for another day, absolutely - and on a whim I went to the San Diego show just a few days later, to try the experience again. I learned why not to buy tickets outside the venue from someone you don't know, and I learned how great U2 fans can be when someone I'd just met let me and my then girlfriend share their space in the 14th row. In June I gave myself a birthday present of going to the Oakland PopMarts because I wanted to see Oasis open. So far, I'd always just been someone in the crowd, frequently far away and in the stands, but never really up close. That changed June 19th; I'd gone to the box office the day before to get a ticket to this show and as it turns out, one more seat fit in each row next to the B-stage than the original sales plan had allowed, so those seats were available. Advantage for going to shows by yourself even if it's not by choice: sometimes awesome tickets like this open up. I took a cheap little plastic camera from Target with me, as I'd seen a lot of people with cameras at the previous shows and nobody seemed to mind. I was right on the rail by the B-stage, and that's when I learned: there were a LOT of people in that space who didn't necessarily have tickets there; it was a strange grey area that somehow managed to fill up with fans. It was like a two foot wide general admission area. At one point I was taking a photo of Bono as he went by on the B-stage and a man in all black with a headset ducked out of the way. I shouted "thank you" and reached out my hand. He smiled and shook my hand, and kept going. I met him after the show in the parking lot waiting for the band to come out, and it turned out he was in charge of security for the band and had been for years. I thanked him again for getting out of the way, and said I wish I'd known so many people had "real" cameras because my tickets for LA weren't nearly as good. He said he was the one that allowed such things, and if I didn't bring a zoom lens and fancy pro gear, he'd be fine with it, and if I'd find him at the show he's help me get up to the b-stage rail and let me shoot. Egads! And I hadn't even told him that the LA show was on my birthday. So I took my SLR and only my fixed 50mm lens to the LA show, managed to get myself to the rail, and as he went running by once before the show started, I showed him the camera. "Is this okay?" I said to the blur, and he nodded at me and said fine and never stopped. When I got the photos back, I knew I had to share my good fortune with others. That whole "internet" thing was just getting going and I had a little bit of web space with my dial-up account. A friend had a scanner...

That handshake in Oakland is why http://u2photos.com exists now.

--

The third and fourth legs of PopMart - a drive across the US, a car breaking my leg into fourteen pieces and nearly killing me in Toronto after the first show, doing shows in wheelchairs and on crutches, how I suddenly found myself in Australia for the shows, all that good stuff - will also have to wait for another day. At least I have pictures to show from it all.

--

Life went and did what it does while you're off making other plans. My father died, too young. My Hollywood dreams - or my ambition - got lost in depression, and a long relationship went along with it. I thought I'd have a California driver's license forever, but eight years to the day of my first arrival in the city, I left Los Angeles by the same road I came in on. I drifted for a while, enjoying the freedom of being able to do things like give an old friend in New York City a ride to church camp - in Michigan. I eventually landed in Idaho, deciding to see if I could start over in a town a tiny fraction the size of where I'd been, to see if whatever woke up in my dad in his small town could wake back up in me.

I kept taking pictures of bands and in the fall of 2000 I had a lot of luck shooting nearly every band that came to town, and while I wasn't making any money I felt I had an eye that was working, if nothing else was. I heard that the Irish band in question would be doing a breakfast performance/interview with the morning DJ's of a Los Angeles radio station. Something in me said: you won't get in, but take some photos, find their manager outside, and ask for a job.

Yes, I've had delusions of grandeur before, why do you ask?

To skip the good parts (you know, the fifteen hour overnight drive, sleeping in my car at a rest stop, stuff like that) I never found the manager but I did get into the breakfast. No camera, sorry. (And trust me, I am sorry.) I ended up not even two feet from Bono when he lunged forward to launch into the first public performance of "Elevation" and he wasn't wearing shades. From up close, without a camera or shades in the way, I could see into his eyes, and there was a fire, a passion, stoked for months and ready to go out and move the world. I was instantly awake again, as I hadn't been in years.

The album came out three days later and I bought it at midnight, playing it over and over as I drove back across the Nevada desert heading home. It was great, but I knew the band's dirty little secret. It's great when it's you and your car stereo and hundreds of miles of Joshua trees and nothing else, but to really go someplace else, you needed to get into the room with 15,000 other people. I knew I had to get out on this tour, to as many shows as I could afford. I had to get to the first show... in Miami.

--

Heavens, it took a long time to get to the start, and now I should probably go do something else with what's left of the day. I didn't even tell everything, and I've gotten to the show that I'm contemplating the anniversary of. For the three of you still reading, I think I'll have to tell about the rehearsals and the first two shows in part two, on Wednesday probably, the date of the second show and the first ever photo pass I had for this band I'd been watching for a decade now. For now, here are the photos from the first show:

http://www.u2photos.com/U2/elevation/fortlauderdale/01mar24.html

Thanks for reading all this...

otto

--

Here are the site updates mentioned about 3,300 words ago. I've reposted the wallpapers that disappeared a little while ago; nearly thirty of them from PopMart and Elevation. The Elevation ones are here and there's a link to the PopMart ones:

http://www.u2photos.com/U2/elevation/galleries/wallpaper.html

The whole site is thumbnailed now, and should be MUCH easier to browse if you're on dial-up.

It's a regrettable part of life that things cost money, and running the site costs money. It's also regrettable that there is no way legally or logistically I can make prints for everyone who wants them. The best compromise for right now I have a handful of museum quality prints available at http://www.kitsinger.com. It's worth dropping by and looking even if aren't looking for anything for your walls, as the display images are made from much higher quality scans than the scans on my main site.

Thanks and have a good day.

Otto - would it be okay if I moved this to the Content forum, titled it however you would like and put it on Interference.com as a top featured story?

Thoughts on a tour's second anniversary, part two

Thoughts on a tour's second anniversary, part two

--

I meant to do all this tour anniversary writing stuff a year ago, but the same reasons that stopped me then is nearly stopping me now. Notice in part one ( http://forum.interference.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=74560 ) I wasn't even on a plane before I stopped writing? The overwhelming mental veto on this comes from a firm belief that I'm not actually any good at anything.

Specifically, I'm a terrible photographer.

Baloney, I'm told. Look at the pictures you take! Well, yes, some of them work. But I was the one looking through the camera and I know the moments I missed. On this tour alone I probably took 14,000 pictures, and I would say maybe fifty are good, fifteen or so are great and maybe one is... right. Correct. Not just what a saw, but what I felt.

Dad never felt comfortable telling people he was a writer. He loved music, and couldn't believe anyone paid him to write about it. For the four of you who survived part one, that's why his card said what it said. My card is the same way: it's got a picture I took, and my name, web address and phone number. But no title. Dad and I were discussing pricing structures one day and I learned he charged based on the hassle factor more than anything else. If you made him get up early and go to a 9am meeting, it was an extra hundred bucks. An 8am meeting was an extra two hundred. In his head, he was a music fan with a word processor. In my head, I'm a music fan with a camera. He couldn't play, so he wrote about it. I can't play, so I take pictures of it.

(Side note: I sure do wish I could play. Guitar. Piano. Hell, saxophone - how come in high school the saxophone players got all the girls? I think I have some of the timing of a musician - it's why a few photos turned out as well as they did, despite my rudimentary understanding of exposure and miserable focus skills. But I suspect I'd trade those few decent photos for my fingers to feel comfortable on a fretboard or some ivory.)

So I don't think I'm all that good at this and thus writing about it could do nothing, I thought, but make me sound like a pompous egomaniac.

However... something DID motivate me to go to Florida other than the band's dirty little secret. Over the course of the tour I'd go somewhere that felt like home, discover a community that I'd never known before, and find what I'd lost in my life. But that would come later. While my photos suck, the average newspaper concert review photo sucks worse. They're not usually bad photos, per se; but they rarely capture anything about a show, merely document a moment that passed by rather than an energy that existed. Does that make sense? I dunno. I do know that I was hanging outside of a venue before a show one day years ago (not U2) and all the press photographers were chatting, and I could overhear gripes about the parking problems and other logistical issues. I think I found the problem: these may well be talented photographers, but they're not music fans. They're journalists.

Yes, I'm sure some of them are in fact music fans, and yes I know the horrible conditions you have to work in: three songs and get out, and the paper needs the final photo just minutes after that, usually. There's no time for art; there's a job to be done and that's that. The photos capture what they feel: I've got nine minutes to get my job done. I bet any one of them with a full show's access could easily kick my ass. But still the idea grew in my head: let me see if someone who loves music and is okay with a camera could capture something that someone who is great with a camera but isn't into the show can't capture, or at least very rarely capture.

Thus, I had to go to Florida for the start of the Elevation tour. And take my camera. There was science to be done!

--

All airlines except Southwest and Air New Zealand suck, and that was proved yet again trying to get to Florida. I was short on cash but long on inherited frequent flier miles on an airline I hate, and the only way Hated Airlines could get me where I needed to go was three days early. Some math showed me that three nights in a motel would be significantly cheaper than any other flight options, so I got off a plane alone the Wednesday night before the first show. Now that I've lived in a smallish Northwest city for three years I can tell you what the first thing you should do when arriving in Miami is get some Cuban food. There isn't any here, dammit. But at the time, without even a place to stay, I headed towards the tour rehearsals at the old Miami Arena, where I'd seen the band a decade before.

I hoped once again to maybe run into the band's manager, see if he remembered me and the photos I eventually got to him through a third party. That, of course, didn't happen. But I did find other fans hanging out. Not just a few, but dozens, maybe even a hundred. There was a buzz in the air: a tour, a show, a feeling, is being born inside.

Some people were gathered at the security railings by the backstage entrance, waiting for someone from the band to come in or out and stop and talk and sign things and take pictures and whatnot. Others sat on the steps and talked. Many more were at the top of the steps, by the glass entrance doors on the concourse level. I headed up there to see what was going on, but it turned out there wasn't much to see; here and there you could get a glimpse of a giant black and white television hanging over what must have been the stage, but nothing else. But there was plenty to hear: drums and bass and guitar and vocals seeped around the doors. Rehearsals were going on right at that moment!

While some new songs had been done on KROQ and Farmclub and at the Irving Plaza and Astoria club shows, among other places, some of what filtered through the glass had never been heard live before, and other things hadn't been heard in years and years. A titter would go around the crowd for those not right by the doors - "they're playing Sunday Bloody Sunday!" or "this is the Fly, but it doesn't sound like we've ever heard it before" and every new message just seemed to up the ante.

There was a young woman there who was even further from where she lived than I was. She was about the same age I was when I first saw U2 in this building a decade before. I'd just met her two friends, but with her ear pressed against the glass and her eyes closed, she had no idea I was there. She'd clearly found a home in the music from inside. The perfect little contented smile on her face said something like rapture, nirvana, heaven. If I'd asked to take her picture it would have broken the spell, and I felt it probably wouldn't mean as much out of context. The best image I saw the whole year I left in the damp electric warmth of a south Florida night, and I spent the whole tour trying to capture that during a show on the faces in the crowd. But with the show and the lights right in front of you, the razzle dazzle shows on your face as well, and it was never quite the same. Besides, I bet for all the best moments like that, I was in them too, with the camera down at my side.

--

The crowd at the entrance reported that the night before Bono had turned left out of the security gate, thus going the wrong way down a fortunately mostly deserted one way street, nearly ending the tour before it started. This night when he left he stopped, rolled down his window, and shouted at us: "Which way is the driving school?"

How does this goofy, funny guy do what he does during a show? How does he move government's hearts about Africa? How does the quiet guy always in a hat get the voice of God (or a god, or the universe, or anything bigger than just a person on a guitar) out of the instruments he plays? How do these four accomplish so much? I used to be a messenger and one day I delivered a gold record for some single of the Red Hot Chili Peppers' to bassist Flea's mom at her office, and I was going up the elevator right as lunch was ending and it was me and about fifteen younger secretaries and support staff, and they all oohed and aahed over the thing. I had a moment of reflected glory in that elevator, and of course I feel it in a crowd at a show, and I'm sure it influences the photos I take. They're just people - Bono cracks a joke about being a bad driver, and on a delivery to his house Flea answered the door wearing only a pillow he held in front, saying I'd better put the stuff down over there because if he let go of the pillow we'd all see The Captain. But somehow in their effect on us, they're not just people. I understand the concept of sums greater than the parts, and that at a show it's not just the band, it's the band and the support staff, the designers, the engineers, the riggers, the drivers - the hundreds of people it takes to put on a big show, take it down in two hours, drive all night, put it up and do it again. And of course all of us in the crowd - we send energy to the stage and they send it back to us, multiplied. But I don't understand how three people with instruments and one with a voice make the sounds they do that move us so. I don't understand how any one of them can do what they do. The other night at the Oscars Larry started into the drums of Sunday Bloody Sunday at the end of the performance of Hands. It was a second or two, and it's just sticks hitting drumheads, and yet it was instantly recognizable as something with great emotional power to anyone who knows the song. A second or two! How do they do that??

If greater than the sum of the parts explains the show, can it somehow explain how they work as individuals? Are they tapped into something I can't find? During the tour, a clue: talking about when they got started, he mentions blind faith, blind ambition: just go for it, and the determination will find you a road you didn't know was in front of you. It's still something I'm trying to learn.

I bet that sax player in high school knew it, though.

On the other hand, I'm a much better driver than Bono.

--

The man behind this web site (interference) evidently likes my photos and arranged for me to have a photo pass that first day. Lots of websites had them, and since the band didn't mind cameras in the crowd, it really wasn't a huge deal, but still, it marked some sort of passage in my head. This is how the pros had to work, three songs in the pit with the big glass, and then out. For me it would be back into the crowd to watch the show as I had a ticket, but someone I met at the rehearsals had loaned me a second camera body and a staggeringly nice piece of glass, a 70-200mm f2.8 that is probably worth more than my car. (I guess he likes my photos as well. This really is a community, maybe even a family sometimes, for good and bad - we don't always get along, no, but you don't see support like this with other bands, at least not that I've noticed.) Thus it was a crack at the pro's shooting time with the pro's shooting gear. I had to see what I could do. There was a theory to prove.

Something went awry and it didn't happen that first night, and in the end, that was a good thing. I got to see the show once, and watch the first three songs closely and figure out what to shoot and when to shoot it. I heard later shooting that first show was a nightmare; there were so many photographers that everyone had to be moved in and out in shifts, giving you nearly no time to do anything in the pit and it was so crowded there was almost no way to move to get a better angle.

The show that first night was overwhelming, too, and I think I would have frozen up if I'd had a pass that night. I waited outside to try and get in the heart for nine or ten hours and to have things happening all around you was just too much to take in. Leaving the lights on for the first half of Elevation was a master stroke: the energy level is more pure than normal, not manipulated from the start by a light show and the standard trick of dropping a curtain or whatever. The third song, Until The End of the World, had Bono climbing up onto the crowd at the tip of the heart, had strobe lights, had the bullfight thing. (And that first night, had Bono falling off the ramp, again nearly ending the tour before it really started. Egads!) I couldn't understand how a band that had blown my mind with the hugeness of ZooTV Outside Broadcast, had blown it again with the audacity of PopMart, was now doing it again with a scaled back show in an arena. How how how!

Two years on, it's all over and little I could say about anything during a show is likely much of a surprise to anyone who saw a show, or maybe even the Boston DVD. (Or heard a bootleg, or whatever.) But there's one moment I want to share. At the end of Streets, the place just exploded; it was a triumphant performance, a turning point. You could tell early on the band was nervous - how would this general admission thing work? Would there be problems in the crowd? Are we ready for these new songs? Are we ready for anything? But this was the end of the main set and the uphill effort was behind them. It all worked. The bets they'd made with themselves and their crew - how to stage the show, what to play, everything - had paid off. The energy in the room could power Miami by itself. I looked up and saw even the follow spot operators in the rigging applauding. I ran into one of them after the show out back, obvious because of the safety harnesses he still wore, and I asked him about it. "That song was so not there in rehearsals. We didn't think they were gonna pull it off, it just never worked. But tonight... wow. That wasn't there the other night." Greater than the sum...

--

Second night. I've seen the show, I know what to expect, the pit will be less crowded, I've been loaned the gear again, and this time the pass is waiting. After the first show a reporter from a weekly somewhere approached me about the camera in my hand and I'd arranged for them to have one of my photos for their review that week, my first published U2 photo. I spent all of the day off between the shows prepping that and while I missed getting any Cuban food, but it was worth it, not for the whopping fifty bucks I'd eventually get after fighting them for it but the feeling that I could play with the pros.

When I got out into the pit with all that gear, I suddenly felt small again. I had no practice with this gear and I didn't know what I was doing and three songs felt very short and I had friends and others (how did they know what I look like?) cheering me for finally having a pass and that felt good especially since it confused security and the other photographers, one of whom muttered about not having a cheering section, but I looked up and felt 15,000 people were staring at me and I was gonna screw it up. I kept chanting to myself:

it's just another band, do your job
(the hell it is)
it's just another band ...

And somehow I got through it. I don't think the photos are all that (you tell me: http://u2photos.com/U2/elevation/fortlauderdale/01mar26.html ) and I do wish I'd bothered to practice with the nice glass first, but I lived. I'd done it. The rest of the show was a blur to me; I couldn't believe I'd gotten to do what I did.

Afterwards, I made the long trek around the outside of the arena to the security gate to pick up the gear I'd hurriedly checked during the fourth song before rushing back in to the show. It was warm and humid, like it always is there, like it was ten years before. I walked with my hands behind my head for a moment, like I was lying in rest. (Must have looked very strange to people nearby.) For the first time in eons, I felt like I could do something. There is absolutely nobody I could ever photograph on stage again who could make me too nervous. Maybe I wasn't too bad at this. A little blind faith can go a long way.

It's just another band, it's just another band, it's just another band... the hell it is.

simply beautiful.

thank you, otto, for expressing so eloquently what i am unable to put into words....

see you next tour! :)

That was a great read! (my favorite part is the bit about the girl listening to the rehearsals... :)

Great pics too...

Back
Top Bottom