MERGED-->Original of the species radio single in US-new strings+OOTS (single version)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

U2girl

Blue Crack Addict
Original of the species is the radio single in US - new strings

atu2.com:

Original of the Species" arrived at U.S. radio stations today as the 5th single from HTDAAB. It's a 1-track CD labeled "single version," which clocks in at 4:29 -- about 10 seconds shorter than the album version. The song itself is different than the album version -- more strings, more guitar from Edge, and just generally louder and maybe "edgier" (bad pun). The liner notes indicate that strings were recorded at Wisseloord Studios, Hilversum, Holland (while the band was on tour in Holland in July).

Collectors will want to know that the single comes in a standard jewel case with catalog # INTR11595-2.

:up: Can't wait to hear this. Who do you think will make the video?

Last edited:
Re: Original of the species is the radio single in US - new strings

U2girl said:
Who do you think will make the video?

The music videos for the singles off this album have been rather mediocre, so I'd be happy with someone fresh this time around - anyone other than Phil Joanou or the French duo Alex and Martin would be great. Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own (Joanou) was exceptional though.

babyman said:
Will it be a single in Europe, too???????

:hyper:

I hope not, the album is already a year old, it's had 4 singles off of it. They'd be flogging a dead horse if they stretched it out for another single. No more please, the album and the singles have been a success, time to just finish off the tour next March and then think about the next phase of their career.

Personally I don't find it a very strong song anyway it's just too soft and sentimental for my liking and just to 'poppy'.

Still, 'Pop' had 5 singles released from it in the UK, so who know's, but I really hope they just put HTDAAB to bed now, it seems the right time.

Lo-Fi said:

I hope not, the album is already a year old, it's had 4 singles off of it. They'd be flogging a dead horse if they stretched it out for another single. No more please, the album and the singles have been a success, time to just finish off the tour next March and then think about the next phase of their career.

Personally I don't find it a very strong song anyway it's just too soft and sentimental for my liking and just to 'poppy'.

Still, 'Pop' had 5 singles released from it in the UK, so who know's, but I really hope they just put HTDAAB to bed now, it seems the right time.

But All Because of You was a really weak choice, Miracle Drug or even Love Peace or Else would have been much better.
I actually believe that if Original of the Species would be released as single the album would sell still 200.000 more copies in each country

babyman said:

But All Because of You was a really weak choice, Miracle Drug or even Love Peace or Else would have been much better.
I actually believe that if Original of the Species would be released as single the album would sell still 200.000 more copies in each country

I agree that a song like LAPOE would have been a better choice, but to me it's not so much how many more copies they can sell of the album now, I just feel the album has run it's course over the course of this year. I feel the album has went quite stale pretty quickly, I don't feel the songs have the longevity of some of their other work and I just think people will view it as flogging a dead horse as it'd be the 5th release off the album, a single too far for me.

Lo-Fi said:

I agree that a song like LAPOE would have been a better choice, but to me it's not so much how many more copies they can sell of the album now, I just feel the album has run it's course over the course of this year. I feel the album has went quite stale pretty quickly, I don't feel the songs have the longevity of some of their other work and I just think people will view it as flogging a dead horse as it'd be the 5th release off the album, a single too far for me.

Yes, but most of the times the success of a record over the years depends exclusively of the single releases. Under a Market point of view (and maybe not only), You remember War for Sunday Bloody Sunday , New Year´s Day, You remember The Joshua Tree for With or Without You, Looking For, Streets, You remember Achtung Baby for One, The Fly, You remember All That You Can´t Leave Behind for Beautiful Day, Stuck In A Moment, and so on and so on
Good singles make most of the times a remarkable album.
Under certain aspects I obviously agree that Atomic Bomb has run its course, a year has already been passed away. Now I would suppose to end the tour with the southamerican and co. dates, and then to work on a new release in 1-2 years.
But in the case of Original of the Species it´s a pretty different thing, this song would mean a lot for U2 and for the album itself. It´s clearly not important if it flies again through the charts worldwide, but it would leave a sign of a real ecstasyant piece of music......................because of the theme, because of the arrangement, because of an overall high level of the song.
Maybe, this song should´ve been released earlier as a single, instead of City of Blinding Lights but most of all instead of All Because of You.....................................
But who knows, who will live will see, maybe they´re planning to release it in Europe, too, around January, February.......................

Re: Re: Original of the species is the radio single in US - new strings

Queen Bee said:

The music videos for the singles off this album have been rather mediocre, so I'd be happy with someone fresh this time around - anyone other than Phil Joanou or the French duo Alex and Martin would be great. Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own (Joanou) was exceptional though.

I liked Vertigo and Sometimes videos, I agree COBL and ABOY (the latter was a bad choice for a single, anyway) were nothing above average.

Perhaps Godley (if they need a sweet family-album-type video to go with the theme of the song, he's done Sweetest thing) or Corbijn?

Last edited:
Re: Re: Re: Original of the species is the radio single in US - new strings

U2girl said:
Perhaps Godley (if they need a sweet family-album-type video to go with the theme of the song, he's done Sweetest thing) or Corbijn?

I think any of U2's previous directors (sans the HTDAAB directors and Joseph Kahn :no: ) could pull off a decent video, but I wouldn't be surprised if the band decided to go the live video route again. Though, it'd be interesting to see what the music video's theme would involve if they go with something original.

I kind of think they will just use the video from the Vertigo Tour DVD as the video, since that is what they are using for the Ipod commercial. Have their been any reports of U2 shooting a video? Do they have any time to do it between tour dates? I don't know, I think it will just be the live video thats available on itunes.

Chizip said:
I kind of think they will just use the video from the Vertigo Tour DVD as the video, since that is what they are using for the Ipod commercial. Have their been any reports of U2 shooting a video? Do they have any time to do it between tour dates? I don't know, I think it will just be the live video thats available on itunes.

Yeah, I was just thinking about that. I think the Vertigo Tour DVD video is most likely what they'll go with for this single. Plus with the holiday season coming up, the video can be used as a tool to promote the DVD. I'd be surprised if they decide to shoot a video.

exactly, i think they may be using it to promote the DVD more than the album

though 2 live videos out of 5 singles is kind of lame. they should have done a real video for COBL.

Chizip said:
exactly, i think they may be using it to promote the DVD more than the album

though 2 live videos out of 5 singles is kind of lame. they should have done a real video for COBL.

Not only that, but all 4 of the currently released single videos have been performance videos. Sometimes is the only one that "hints" at a story. Vertigo, All Because of You, and COBL are just all performances.

They probably could have done something neat with COBL, but their producers/directors haven't been that creative. I think every single video from ATYCLB has been better than HTDAAB's videos (and that includes Stuck and Elevation). Although I think the king of music videos still is POP (those were so artistic and emotional and creative)

Headache in a Suitcase said:
because i feel like being an ass today...

how to dismantle an atomic bomb hasn't been out for a year yet... it's a week and a half short of a year

and i friggin like all because of you and i'm sick of people calling it a bad single so go bugger off

Preach it you Pimp.

Headache in a Suitcase said:
and i friggin like all because of you and i'm sick of people calling it a bad single so go bugger off

It's one of U2's few "Rock and Roll" tunes and it's very, very good.

bcrt2000 said:

Not only that, but all 4 of the currently released single videos have been performance videos. Sometimes is the only one that "hints" at a story. Vertigo, All Because of You, and COBL are just all performances.

They probably could have done something neat with COBL, but their producers/directors haven't been that creative. I think every single video from ATYCLB has been better than HTDAAB's videos (and that includes Stuck and Elevation). Although I think the king of music videos still is POP (those were so artistic and emotional and creative)

Yes, COBL was probably supposed to work out better. Is this the first time they used the same directors (2x Sednaoui and 2x Alex and Martin) for the videos?
ABOY I think would work better in a studio-playing footage, though I liked the black and white again.

I think the last two albums had 50-50 videos - first two work (Europe version of Stuck video), the latter two not so much.

Maybe they're doing the 5th video because the tour is extended? Well there's time between the tour legs to do something...I hope they won't just relegate this one to the DVD clip video.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom