MERGED ---> NEW album has been stolen... + Edge speaks... + Okay who.. + Stolen CD...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
People, that sale on e-Bay is a JOKE. A very humorous one, made even moreso by the fact some people don't get it.

Now, that said, this is turning into amazing publicity. It's all over the news. It was on the national news here in Australia tonight (channel seven, right after New Zealand's GLORIOUS win in the rugby, woohoo!), and people who are not U2 fans are taking notice. I've been asked about it and word is very much spreading. The CD's not online, I haven't heard of pirate copies spreading, and it's worldwide headlines. I think they just lost it, and it's turning into awesome publicity quite by accident.

key word: accident

lets see, no leak, but people talking, news reporting. U2 is getting publicity and extra hype.

if i wasn't a fan, and heard all of this talk on the news about this stolen cd and all the hooplaw, i would think, wow, this must be a great group and a great new album for someone to steal it, i think i'll buy a copy.

i beginning to truly believe that this is all on purposem not by accident.

Maybe U2 will decide to ride on this hype and move the release date up a few weeks, enough time to make sure the cd is done and they have a promotional plan!

Maybe mid october rather than mid November????

My take on the ebay sale is that this guy sounds rather hickish to have been in southern France close to the band.

Of course, this could be one incredible pr move if U2 actually are secretly selling this thing to a bidder. very very very unlikely though. However, the police haven't got him yet, so...:wink:

Well, if publicity was what they wanted they got it.

My parents are here to visit me, and this morning when I went to pick them up at the airport the first thing they asked me was what had happened with U2's CD.

They are both 70 years old and know about what happened.

Ramblin Rose, that's simply brilliant!! LOL

I had no idea it was spreading that much publicity. Has it been on the news or just some radio programs?

Re: well well well

U2girl said:

Ahem doubting people...look at U2News for the Guardian article, a police officer in charge for this matter has been quoted by name. Also, the management had an emergency meeting yesterday in London.

But nooo, it's all a PR stunt, right?

Police probably wasn't sourced so far because as the investigation is in process, they don't want to put out any information that might compromise the results.

Mikal, I didn't talk to my friends because I don't think anyone of them listens to U2. (or cares about such news, anyway) My brother is a fan but he isn't as obsessed about it as to leap on the internet and look for the news daily. Second, yes it got us talking but we're only a small fraction of U2's fanbase worldwide - I'm sure the average fan is older than 20something and does not use internet as much.

All they ever needed to do to get the buzz going would be to go public and put out the album name, date release, tracklisting and the name and release date for the first single. Besides the buzz was already created by the numerous descriptions of the new material by people who heard it.

As for that ebay link-note the 2atom link that is mentioned; it's a fake.

well, it's not that hard to make up a fake name for a police officer. "Officer Brown." look. i just did it. in situations where an investigation goes public, the names of the police department and officers are made public also. they're only hush hush on the names when the investigation is hush hush. but considering this story has made every major magazine and news channel, i definitely wouldn't consider this investigation as "hush hush."

about you not talking to your friends about it, that's too bad. create the buzz!!! even the casual U2 fan, or even the casual music fan would get excited about this considering U2's place in the music industry, and not only is their album release great for U2 fans, but it's great for the music industry. i can guarantee that thousands, if not millions of people around the world who hadn't even heard that U2 had a new album coming out before this story, now know that U2's new album comes out in November.

so basically, this PR stunt was simply a brilliant move by the band. it gets the diehards going crazy, and the rest of the world buzzing.

good job Principle Management!

Last edited:
again...

If you recall, the CD was missing since Tuesday 9:30 pm after photoshooting. The news didn't get out till Thursday. Not a bad hush hush for such a big music name.

With the possibility of the whole (or majority?) of the new material being leaked online, I think the emergency meeting of the management on Friday makes sense too.

How do you know that the policeman's name mentioned is a fake name? And I don't see how a theft requires any special police department.

I really don't think a band as famous as them would need any PR stunt, much less anything involving false claims or leaking of their music - which, as we know from their past, they do not approve of. Come on.

Last edited:
Re: again...

U2girl said:
Think whatever you want.

i first heard the news on Wednesday afternoon, and it was definitely out before then, because i recall feeling dissapointed because i came upon the story kind of late.

and once again, the supposed time that the CD was "stolen" doesn't really matter to me, considering i believe that there never was a CD to be stolen. the same goes for the "possibility of the material being leaked online," the band will leak the material when they so please.

even a band as big as U2 can benefit from a PR stunt, and frankly, they could have really used one before "Pop" was released, considering the shotty album sales. keep in mind that it's been almost 4 years since their last album came out and about 2 1/2 years since they've been in the public spotlight. i wouldn't blame them for wanting to ensure that they get in that spotlight again prior to the album's release to increase their chances of having a #1 album.

the more you wait, the more you salivate, and now it's not only the diehards who have to wait 4 more months for the album.

I really HATE that's the cd has been stolen, and I refuse to listen to it!!....but if it's stolen it's gonna show up soon....probably on ebay (and then the real thing)....
Man, bet the dude that stole it is in a lot of trouble if they find him/or her........
What would you think if 4 years of work were stolen before you could present it!!..

Re: Re: again...

mikal said:

i first heard the news on Wednesday afternoon, and it was definitely out before then, because i recall feeling dissapointed because i came upon the story kind of late.

and once again, the supposed time that the CD was "stolen" doesn't really matter to me, considering i believe that there never was a CD to be stolen. the same goes for the "possibility of the material being leaked online," the band will leak the material when they so please.

even a band as big as U2 can benefit from a PR stunt, and frankly, they could have really used one before "Pop" was released, considering the shotty album sales. keep in mind that it's been almost 4 years since their last album came out and about 2 1/2 years since they've been in the public spotlight. i wouldn't blame them for wanting to ensure that they get in that spotlight again prior to the album's release to increase their chances of having a #1 album.

the more you wait, the more you salivate, and now it's not only the diehards who have to wait 4 more months for the album.

You're right, it doesn't really matter when it happened - but I certainly didn't hear anything till Thursday when I logged on the forum.

The band will leak? Really? So they will have LESS time to put the album out and practice for the tour?
The past suggest otherwise: AB outtakes definitely were not leaked, nor were ATYCLB songs (riversteed found them), and most likely, nor was Discotheque from POP. We all know they're perfectionist, therefore they will not release anything till they're fully satisfied with it - however I do believe they've gotten careful and will take more time to record after POP.

All the PR stunts and all the label's promotion machinery won't help if the people don't like the music (because the mainstream music changes all the time: where are boybands now? Spice girls? Britney/Christina? - and new acts come along and even big acts who can't produce the good stuff will fall - Jackson's Invincible album was the biggest flop in the last few years) I don't think POP would really gain much.

Band will be much in the spotlight as soon as they announce the album date release and name, and when the first single will come out. Fans who follow up on the band already know that the album will come in the fall anyway.

There are 4 possibilities and 2 of them can be discarded IMO.

- the CD got lost at that photoshoot (could be, but since the cops are involved, it looks like theft is a serious possibility. also it would probably turn up by now)

- CD is stolen (much of the known facts point to this, but I won't repeat them here)

- whole thing is made up (doesn't fit in with what we heard, and it's not in their habit to build such elaborate fairy tales. making false claims about theft to police is not a good idea, either)

- they put the CD somewhere deliberately to be taken (after years of work? don't think so, not to mention it may disrupt their album/tour schedule. also, I imagine not a lot of people - even in U2 organisation - knew the exact location and time of the photoshoot. since when can U2 fans just walz into studios during such secret events? even harder to believe some average joe just stumbled upon the CD, not knowing whose music it is)

Last edited:
I doubt this was faked, I can't see Edge lying toThe Police and in a public statement just to boost the sales of his album. I'm sure they are putting the best spin on this as they can to make good of a bad situation and to milk it for PR but i doubt they faked it.

Yeah...!!....that would be ballsy.......
No, I don't think it's a PR stunt....and I'm betting that those four guys and the whole team are now drowning there sorrows in some guiness at the Hotel

I'm just waiting for the picture to come out of Edge being led to the police station by Larry by his ear:rant:
Also possible Anton was still shooting pictures when they found out the CD went missing - that would make for a great cover for the new album

My final verdict: The band is just making the best of a bad situation

On Tuesday, when the guys found out that the CD was missing and presumably stolen, they called the police and tried to keep the situation low to aviod publicity. Then, on Wednesday probably, someone at Principle Management or maybe even the band themselves decided, hey, the album will be out in a few months, we've been out of the spolight for more than two years, why not get some publicity out of this? So on Thursday, the story got out, and U2.com made an official annoucement, complete with a quote by The Edge.

I did believe that the entire thing was a PR stunt, but with all the police involvement and the apparent dissapointment by the band and Paul, they could not have made the entire thing up. I still think though that the guys used the situation to get some major publicity.

Headache in a Suitcase said:
this e-bay thing may be a "joke," but it's already gottena bout 90 bucks american worth of bids. and if the police were really involved, wouldn't they have gone to e-bay by now and had them shut it down?

probably still a fake... but interesting still...

They may have Headache-I didn't get a chance to see the ebay ad since I just logged on tonight, and now it's been removed/shut down. This IS interesting. Wonder if the cops busted up in the persons house that placed this ad on ebay?:ohmy:

Hello all,
new here, so I thought I'd ask the knowledgeable...

does anyone have any real reason to believe U2 would pull this sort of thing as a publicity stunt?!
I mean, have they ever done anything like this before? Leaked their own work?
I just don't get, much less buy, any of the arguments that this is what it is.
I mean, yeah, there is all the police stuff and so we can assume they're not *illegally* wasting police time by filing false reports and so on, but even those who believe the boys and/or their management is ' milking' for extra publicity...what evidence is there of such? That Edge made a statement on their website?!

The news agencies have picked up on it all, and thus perhaps there is some 'good' come of it insofar as there is extra *buzz* about, but I don't see any evidence of 'milking'...what would that look like exactly?

I'm believing that there really is a police investigation, that the guys and their reps and the record company are truly worried about the work showing up somewhere, and that they must feel terrible about it all. I hope it turns out it was just 'lost' somehow, and no negatives but the stress are left.

cheers!

i think everyone needs to realize that if this CD was actually stolen, the band obviously has it all saved on a computer or has some kind of backup.

to think that the CD they were loosely carrying around with them was the only thing they had their new album saved on is rediculous. lol.

yeah, there should be little doubt that the masters, etc.. are in a safe back in hanover quay.

the only concern is what reprecussions a leak would mean to the band, the album, and tour.

all of this right now creates quite a positive pr buzz but actual leaks would i'm afraid be far more detrimental. certainly not as bad as the numbers record execs pull out of their ass, but more of a deflating effect on the album itself.

YEP!!....if those tracks are placed on the internet then all the excitment will be over once the album comes out....and everyone will be like: what else is new?......sales will drop....but I don't think it will have any effect on the tour.....if it's on the internet or on a cd....u2 always sounds great....

I thought Edge said previously that they didn't mind people downloading music off the internet...said that it was positive for the music industry...

I think that was in reference more to recordings of live shows, etc...

Also, even if Edge was referring to downloading studio material, I'm sure it wouldn't be until AFTER the initial sales peak wore off. In the music industry these days, the first two weeks of an album's release is really critical.

yeah....you're right.....and Edge only thinks downloading concerts is a good thing......Downloading an album which they haven't brought out yet is not gonna be promoted by u2...haha....lol....

Or this is a good marketing stunt (I think that's the case!) or someone has been acting very stuoid (edge). Taking a CD with important stuff on it with you on a fotoshoot!!?!?!?

This happened again and again.
First those salome-stuff and than Pop and ATYCLB and Electrical storm....it happens too often. I'm sure this is again a stunt. Or the band must be very dumb!

well, it's also not like they are not a BIG target for this kind of thing. even being very careful, if you are such an attractive target, scammers will find a way.

i'm sure they did have security measures in place, but probably between a combination of them being such a high-profile target and one mistake (they're only human) the cd got lifted.

Back
Top Bottom