MERGED-->Fan Reviews of HTDAAB Here

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Long time lurker but had to post my thoughts... I love it. :yes:
I loved Vertigo when I first heard it and couldn't wait to hear the other tracks and downloaded it as soon as it was leaked (already ordered the special edition cd so not feeling too guilty :shifty: ).
I first listened to it at work. Big mistake, I know, but I couldn't wait.
I was disappointed at what I heard but there were some that I liked instantly, like Miracle Drug but the others really did not grab me. I figured I'll listen again at home but really didn't hold out too much hope that I would love it.
I get home and that night, put on my headphones and listen to it without any distractions. Revising my first opinion, this is not bad, hmm...actually its pretty good. There were still some songs that had to grow on me.
Now after many listens, I add my name to those who think it's brilliant.
I liked ATYCLB and still do but this one, to me, is more challenging and with that, I think it will be up there with AB as one of my favorites.

Please listen for example to ´Bad´ on the Unforgettable Fire album... I think it´s a really weak song! But the live-version made the song to one of their most powerful songs ever.
My point is... U2 is a live band (as Larry once said:´Live is where we live´) and that´s where they make or break the songs.
And for all the people who like to compare this album to TJT and AB album: Did you really like Bullet the blue sky and Mysterious Ways that much when you heard these songs for the first time??
These are also perfect examples of a live-surprise and I´m sure that the guys have a lot of surprises when they play the new songs next year! Because, when I listen to this album, I hear 9 really good songs and even 3 or 4 classics...

Well, as you can see, I do like the album very much. And I can´t wait to hear a song like OOTS live! A brilliant song from a brilliant album.

I´m proud to be a U2-fan!

VERTIGO: 7/10 its okay but not outstanding. its a great song live and for party

MIRACLE DRUG: 5/10 the song is overrated and trivial for the first 2 1/2 minutes. don't know how many songs sound similiar to this.
the best part comes from 2:45 to the end...this part saves the song. great guitar, drums and bass and good vocal line.

SYCMIOYO: 5/10 i don't understand the people who say this song is at the same level as e.g. ONE. too much elements of ES, THTBA and TMDH-SondTrack. i for myself cannot find the magic moments here.

LAPOE: 10/10 YES, YES, YES! this is it!!! best song on the album, very ballsy and full of muscles, great effort of the whole group.
underground-sounding and a special glam factor with some references to T.REX-/LED ZEPPELIN-/BRMC. this song is a MONSTER!!!

COBL: 6/10 another (boring)song about NYC(?). they steel the neon light melody. pirates! ;-)
once again the hickup guitar at 4:03. i just don't like this. all in all the song is too long.

ABOY: 7,5/10 positive surprise. the guitar is big here and very much theWHO. bad singing of Mr. Bono during the refrain.

AMAAW: 9/10 wonderful song with some spurs of desperation. great bass and drums from 3:00. and a sample already used on CRASHED CAR(?). this song reminds me on the ZOOROPA era.

CFYT: 8/10 another longingly song. i believe that esp. this song has a lot of potential to become a classic.

OSC: 6/10 for my gusto another song with too much ingrediences of the MDH-Soundtrack

OOTS: 7/10 nice melody, the refrain is great '...and you feel...'!
but i don't like at all the TGBHF-piano sound. partly too much sugar-candy.

YAWEH: 9/10 this one has really grown on me. YAWEH would be a perfect closer of next years shows.

TOTAL: 7,5/10 well i see a silver lining here. the perfect time for hearing the album is the dawn. the time of the day when the day fights the night. unfortunately some low points here. time will tell whether the album could turn into a classic one.

Last edited:
You can quote me if you feel the need...

The first couple of times I listened to the album, I liked it but it wasn't until I sat down and put on the headphones that I really began to hear and understand the pure majesty and beauty of it.

Of course, Vertigo is U2's greeting to us and the world after being away for awhile it's nothing more than a straight ahead kickass rock 'n roll song and lots of fun.

Then we open the guts of the album. Joshua Tree had Streets, ISHFWILF, WOWY, BTBS, RTSS as the emotional centerpiece of the album. Some U2 albums don't really have an emotional centerpiece. It's hard to pin down AB's emotional centerpiece. HTDAAB certainly has one. It's MD, SYCMIOYO, LAPOE, COBL, ABOY. Of course MD and SYCMIOYO are beautiful, heartwrenching songs that only Bono could sing, and LAPOE is an Industrial Rock powerhouse.

A few points that I haven't really heard others make, or that I think need to be re-emphasized. The opening sequence from City of Blinding Lights never fails to raise the hair on the back of my neck. It's a feeling that I haven't felt since I first heard Streets from JT. Those keyboards sound as if they are being played by god. I also love the lyric from COBL "Blessings are not just for the ones who kneel…luckily"

ABOY sounds to me like something off of Exile on Main Street. Very garage rock-oriented and again like Vertigo a straight ahead balls-to-the-wall kickass rock and roll song. CFYT is an overlooked gem and one of the best cuts on the entire album. Edge's work on it is stunning.

OOTS is a beautiful piece of work that steadily grows on me each time I listen to it, and I think in time it might be my favorite cut from the album. An although I like Yahweh alot, I can't say that it would ever be my favorite album closer. Because of my experiences of hearing it in concert, 40 is by far my favorite album closer, followed by Love is Blindness, then All I Want is You.

One thing that I am certain about, the cuts from this will be Monsters in concert.

nice reviews, unluckily i couldn't be arsed writing one but loads of good points here:wink:

Please listen for example to ´Bad´ on the Unforgettable Fire album... I think it´s a really weak song! But the live-version made the song to one of their most powerful songs ever.
My point is... U2 is a live band (as Larry once said:´Live is where we live´) and that´s where they make or break the songs.
And for all the people who like to compare this album to TJT and AB album: Did you really like Bullet the blue sky and Mysterious Ways that much when you heard these songs for the first time??
These are also perfect examples of a live-surprise and I´m sure that the guys have a lot of surprises when they play the new songs next year! Because, when I listen to this album, I hear 9 really good songs and even 3 or 4 classics...

Great post,I agree wholeheartedly. I was somewhat critical of the album at first,but after listening about a dozen times I'm really liking most of the songs,and loving at least 3 or 4. I always liked Mysterious Ways,but I get your point. After a few months on tour,some of these songs will develop a new identity and get better and better. One thing I did that helped me,was to make a disc where I changed the order of the tracks so the slower stuff would be at the end like it belongs. This has made a huge difference for me. Her's the order I put them in:

Vertigo
ABOY
Peace and Love
Crumbs (Awesome song)
ABOY
Man and a Woman
Yahweh
Miracle Drug
OOTS
SYCMIOYO
One Step Closer

People this is absoulutely amazing! I have not yet listend to any of the tracks off the album save for Vertigo and I feel nothing but satisfaction and pure joy. Reading your reviews and listening to Mercy(the one track I have allowed my self to sample) My excitement for this album has increased by a billion times. Mercy is absofuckinglutely brilliant and it's not even on the album. True story: I have never been brought to tears by a song but Mercy is the closest thing I've ever come to tearing up due to a song. the emotion in it is fgfhdsagfdsafahb can't describe. 9 days to go. I can't and won't listen to a download version of the album but keep posting your thoughts. I'm enjoying every minute of reading them. By the way i ordered the special edition cd and the vinyl record last week. I need them all.

Last edited:
U2 – How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb (2004)

When one of the biggest bands in the world releases a new album, there are always fireworks. People love it, people hate it and people say that they have ‘sold out’ and that ‘their older stuff is better’. It is either too similar to their previous works, or too experimental, or for some people, it is just more of a good thing. It is just what happens. And there are few bands bigger than U2, whose new album How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb will be dropped on the world on the 22nd of November.

A-Bomb is one of the most anticipated albums of the year, and fans of the band have been waiting for its release since 2000’s All That You Can’t Leave Behind, which was seen by some as the return of classic U2, but by others as a weak pop option for the band to take. Lead singer Bono has been promising us an all out attack of guitar on the album for the past few years. The crunching chords that have been missing on the past few albums are back. It is the sound of the last twenty-five years of U2 played into one eleven (or twelve for lucky UK residents, who get the bonus track Fast Cars) track disc.

No doubt you will have heard the first single off the album, Vertigo, which opens the LP. Released to radio in late September, it has been in heavy rotation all around the world, and broke online sales records for Apple’s iTunes music store. The song, though it lacks any real depth or meaning, is an all out guitar assault, and seems to be what Bono has been telling us about. It is loud, and the chords are crunching. While not U2’s best, it is a solid start to the album. Not every song can be Bad, anyway.

As soon as Vertigo ends, it goes into Miracle Drug. And Miracle Drug is stunning. Fans of The Joshua Tree’s With Or Without You will see the similarities but it is the differences that sets this song apart – it is as good as With Or Without You if not better. This is U2 at their very best, and anyone calling for them to hang up their guitars and end their career should be directed straight to this song. For a band to be able to write a song like this after 10 albums, they have to be something special.

Sometimes You Can’t Make It On Your Own is dedicated to Bono’s father who passed away three years ago. With soaring vocals and dream-like guitar sounds, this ballad could be the next single.

Love And Peace Or Else starts of with a minute of bassy feedback sounds collated with a few other random sounds, but the entrance of a very bluesy vocal track turns this song into one of the biggest rockers on the album, with a good guitar line again delivered by the Edge. A solid song stuck in the difficult position on the album after two of the most immediate songs in Miracle Drug and Sometimes You Can’t Make It On Your Own.

Already a fan favourite thanks to a poor quality clip of this song when it was played to the lucky few who saw the band perform Vertigo on Top Of The Pops doing the rounds on the internet, City Of Blinding Lights doesn’t disappoint on the album at all, and is again up there with U2’s best songs. Touted by some as a better song than Where The Streets Have No Name, which has been a probably the most outstanding track from the past five tours, this song is sure to be one of the best live songs off the new album, and may well be played for many years and on many tours to come.

Perhaps a better choice for the album’s first single would have been All Because Of You, it has the guitar sound promised and that the band was looking for, but is far superior in quality as a song to Vertigo. All Because Of You is one hell of a rock song, and is also lyrically better then Vertigo.

The second half of an album is usually what separates it from other good albums to be a great album. Albums with a strong second half are set apart from albums with stunning first halves, but weaker second halves. It is what makes a classic record – the lack of any weak track. U2 failed with All That You Can’t Leave Behind, which has a far stronger first half than second half, and many were interested to see what would happen on this record with that in mind.

A Man And A Woman is a cheesy song, with cheesy lyrics, a cheesy name and a cheesy guitar line. Some may like it, but it doesn’t fit into the overall feel of the album at all. It is a significant let down from the first six songs.

Crumbs From Your Table is a relief from the last song, and a surprise gem here. If not released as a single, it could be a hidden fan favourite and one of the most requested to be played on tour.

One Step Closer is the only slow and downbeat song on the album, and while it isn’t one of the top tunes on it, it is needed for the overall feel and atmosphere. There is nothing overtly wrong with it, but it lacks the special U2 touch that can change a song, such as The First Time from the band’s 1993 record Zooropa.

Original Of The Species is the best song on the second half of the record, let down by some dubious scat singing by Bono towards the end. He makes up for it through the rest of the song though, as his voice makes this song. Reliant on piano more than guitar, it is a pleasant switch, and has an orchestral sound to it, adding to its intensity and impact.

The last few U2 albums have ended on a religious note, and A-Bomb continues the trend with Yahweh. Slightly more upbeat than most expected, it is reminiscent of the material on All That You Can’t Leave Behind, Walk On in particular. It could be used to close the shows as it does the album, as Walk On closed shows on the 2001 Elevation Tour.

This album isn’t groundbreaking and it isn’t a classic. It was a safe option for U2 to take, but it is far from the pop-guided album All That You Can’t Leave Behind was. It isn’t the ‘mother of all rock albums’, it isn’t a classic album that will never tire, it isn’t U2’s best album and it probably isn’t the album of the year with very good competition from The Streets and Brian Wilson, among others. But it is still U2, and it is still very, very good.

Score: 7.5/10

I'm working on a big review for my favorite album of all time. But in the meantime, I'll sum it up by saying this (if I haven't already):

I WANT TO HUG THIS ALBUM, AND THE LEFTOVERS!!!

This is U2 most assessible album IMO.
That's not a bad thing.
But you don't get multi dimensional allegory of past works.
I will agree to some who have written that these lyrics are a lot simpler to understand.
But then maybe some of us vets are so used to the layers & imagery & complexity of their prior work that the lack of the extended metaphors in the currrent work is noticeble.

Even U2 @ it's simplest form stills outweights many other current acts with ideas of depth.

First off I'll say I haven't listened to whole thing enough times as to give a final opinion. However my gut feeling is that this album will navigate midway in my U2 fave list. I've either loved or outright hated my present fave albums on first listen and those which I more or less liked or disliked remained in the "OK" category but seldom are played anymore. I had a neutral reaction to HDTAAB and was slightly disappointed since I don't find this album "the ultimate rock 'n roll wonder" that was being announced and that Vertigo seemed to confirm - in fact it's IMO hardly what I call a rock 'n roll album except for 2 or 3 songs.

Vertigo, LPOE and OOTS are IMO the outstanding features. I like A Man And A Woman, CFYT, OSC and ABOY. I don't think much of Miracle Drug, SYCMIOYO and COBL. Yahweh is somewhere in the middle.

I definitely like the second half of the album better than the first.

:huh: it sucks. i can only imagine it was leaked on the net so they had an excuse for the poor sales figures it will get. I have no doubt it will hit number one, thanks to U2 completists who will insist on buying it.

the sooner they just go on world tours every four years and peddle the back catalogue, a la the Stones, the better for everyone.

Atomic Bomb succeeds in making Pop sound like a proper album, which is some achievement in itself i suppose.

I can't believe how good this is!! Didn't ever think I could listen to something as good as this in 2004. Absolutely blew me away.
Easily up there with JT and AB. Not sure why AMAAW isn't rated by everybody as high as the other tracks, but so far that would be my fav, also with Original of the Species.

i just not know why i keep coming here. i guess it is to see new ways of seeing reality but here it´s so poor. some people just can't see or heard quality when in front of it. others just bourough to much of that opinions. oh well i can't tell you to get a life because sicy don't let me so i think i go get a life myself. adios

manicx said:
:huh: it sucks. i can only imagine it was leaked on the net so they had an excuse for the poor sales figures it will get. I have no doubt it will hit number one, thanks to U2 completists who will insist on buying it.

the sooner they just go on world tours every four years and peddle the back catalogue, a la the Stones, the better for everyone.

Atomic Bomb succeeds in making Pop sound like a proper album, which is some achievement in itself i suppose.

What is the deal with the sudden influx of newbies posting JUST for the purpose of trashing the new album? I suppose the reason is JUST because there is a new album coming out, but it's just getting very tiring.

Sorry to stay off-topc but I think it's quite pathetic that people like this come here, and many other band forums (not just U2) when a new album comes out and trash it just so other people will think that they have some great knowledge of the material.

I've been pretty good at just ignoring these kinds of posts, but it's just getting rediculous.

Its amazing how just about every review whether professional or from a fan perspective focuses on different aspects of this album... I've never come across a record that has so much appeal going in so many different directions - one reviewer's favourite is the next's let down, side one wins out for some whilst side two is someone elses pick. It's strange but most albums end up with critical consensus for the most part. I recall when ATYCLB was released there was general agreement on what the stronger and weaker points of the album were in this forum and in the press. This time opinion is all over the place!!

I think this bodes incredibly well for when the general public gets its hands on this CD. There is literally something for everyone, somehow tied up in a cohesive and unified package that flows beautifully from start to finish. HTDAAB will be U2's biggest album yet. I'd put money on it shifting mega units. And I believe it will come to be known as their ultimate masterwork (at least until the next album comes along!)

First impressions werent so great I must admit. On my first listen plenty stood out as being good, particularly musically but for a couple of days after that my opinion was actually going downhill. I just couldnt connect with the lyrics and I really thought some of the tracks were plain weak, particularly "Sometimes You Can't Make It...", "Crumbs...", "Original..." and "Yaweh". The rest I could bear but I wasn't being moved the way much of ATYCLB did 4 years ago. I was feeling pretty down and disappointed actually but I knew better than to write the album off!

I was sitting in my office and decided to stick the record on to let my colleagues have a listen. I played it over crappy computer speakers and basically had a revelation there and then! Every song was pressing the right buttons and the guys in work were being complimentary too! I ended up letting the disc play out and staying late to hear it. That was Wednesday last and I havn't been able to stop listening to it since, whether for real or in my head - because the songs are embedded there already!

Vertigo just rocks, plain and simple. I reckon theres a lot more in the words than initial readings would suggest - its almost apocalyptic and I'm sure I'll have a great theory on what it all means in a few weeks time!

Miracle Drug gets to me somewhere in my soul, the words and music fusing into something truly spine tingling... and the guitar solo nearly makes me cry with joy every time I hear it!

Sometimes You Can't Make It has really opened up to me as the beautiful, heartfelt elegy that it is. And the climax that I initially thought was clumsily handled now expresses real pain and sorrow to me. Its a stunning track.

Love and Peace blows my mind, great lyrics, glam rock style stomping and that ripping explosion of a guitar solo to end it all...

City Of Blinding Lights does it for me every time as well. Its the most propulsive, energy giving piece of music I've heard since, well, Streets obviously...! But this has something more somehow and I think it's in it's simplicity, that ascending guitar figure behind the "whooowhooo" sounds in the chorus and the explosive "OH - YOU - LOOK - SO - Beautiful Tonight...". I'm getting shivers just typing it for gods sake!!! This will tear the roof off live...

All Because Of You, probably the best song on the record. Indescribably brilliant lyrically - I'm pretty sure it's addressed to his mother on some level but definitely to Ali also. And Edge hits his high water mark on the axe as well... Should be a single.

A Man And A Woman is a classic piece of perfect pop, with just enough of Edge to keep it exciting. Bono sounds like he's 20 years old on this. And I think he's captured the feeling of being in a great relationship perfectly... "How can I hurt when I'm holding you?". Beautiful....

I hated Crumbs From Your Table initially. I just thought the riffs were too repetitive and the whole feel a bit dirgey... Boy was I wrong! This is the one that I just can't get out of my head and whilst the main riff is heavily repeated theres a lot more bubbling under the surface than I thought first. Its also a great indictment of the western nation's lack of action on africa and particularly the US's empire building - "You broke every heart thinking every heart mends". "You speak of signs and wonders / but I believe in something other..." says it all really especially with Bush back in power on a tide of Christian fundamentalism...

One Step Closer is beautiful, restrained and poignant and I love Bono's voice in this. Simplicity itelf but all the more affecting for it.

Original Of The Species has almost too much great stuff going on, too many good ideas that probably could have become about 3 different songs. A pretty good complaint actually! But the main chorus with the accompanying trademark chiming guitar from Edge really hits the mark and by the end of the song the disparite strands have come together into a massive, prolonged climax. Its almost exhausting!

Yaweh has gone from being my least favourite track to being up in the top 3. Its simplicity is again the key - its a modern prayer and the humming, chiming backing is SO uplifting.
"Still waiting for the dawn, the sun is coming up
The sun is coming up on the ocean
This love is like a drop in the ocean
This love is like a drop in the ocean"
And the way the music shimmers and suddenly !CLANG! - Edge has one of those moments that make you want to cry with joy... I'm not religious but this song is so filled with positive energy that it lifts your soul... Its undeniably their best closer, capturing the soul of "40" but with more dynamism, optimism and joy and just beating "Love Is Blindness" because it's an upper rather than a downer....

So as you can see I like "How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb" quite a lot! I'd say that a lot of those who have had negative reactions are bound to have that "revelatory" moment sooner or later. Its hard to explain, but I always find that the albums I initially dislike but then "discover" are the ones I never tire of listening to. This one will be no different. 10/10 and straight to the top of my U2 charts!

Sorry to be a newbie posting for the frist time to "trash the album" (sort of), but I've been thinking about these last 2 albums and wanted to see what other U2 fans thought of this criticism [note: it was written originally for my livejournal blog directed at my friends, so there's a lot of basic U2 stuff that I didn't expect them to know in here]

First of all, and before there is any question about this, I think it is a really good album. It's not as good as the big three of Achtung Baby, Rattle and Hum or Joshua Tree, but it is a solid CD with a lot of good tracks that I have enjoyed the first couple of times through (and, generally speaking, I'm likely to end up enjoying the album more on each successive time listening to it).

However, at the same time, the album has crystalized for me some of the ambiguous feelings I had about All That You Can't Leave Behind. Like that album, Dismantle is so melodic and sweet and... nice. Really nice. And therein lies the problem.

Let me use an example. The best song on HTDAAB (even the acronym is too damn long) is probably "Love and Peace or Else", a cool song with power chords and a nice sound to it. The song contains the following very nice lyrics:

Lay down your guns,
Are you daughters of Zion?
Are you Abraham's sons?

Isn't that nice? It's an appeal to a conflict torn region by trying to bring them together in lyrics celebrating their common humanity and religious principles. It reminds me of a song I heard once by a band who did the same thing in a different part of the world (what was their name again?)

Broken bottles under childrens feet
Bodies strewn accross the dead end street
But I won't heed the battle call
It puts my back up, puts my back up against the wall

The problem is not that they are unoriginal - believe me I have no problem with a literally infinite number of songs on this theme. It's that they did it much, much better the first time around. In the 1980s, U2 declared War - not on the Irish nor on the Brits but on the existence of hatred and violence among both peoples. Today they gently cajole people to Leave Them Behind through soporific homilies. An even worse example is the dreadfully titled "Crumbs on your table", in which Bono sings:

Where you live should not decide
Whether you live or whether you die
Three to a bed
Sister Ann, she said
Dignity passes by

I'm not asking for Bono to be Che Gueverra here. I know U2 isn't, and shouldn't be, Public Enemy or Rage Against the Machine. But if you are going to write a rock song about international poverty, could you say something that would make Dick Cheney at least slightly uncomfortable? If you can't shock, at least provoke. And if you don't have anything that is going to effectively provoke then don't say anything, or write love songs. "Crumbs" seems like the kind of song in which, during live performances, they should send around a collection plate and show images of starving children, ala "Bui-Doi" in Miss Saigon. What happened to this:

Plant a demon seed, raise a flower of fire
See them burning crosses, see the flames higher and higher

U2's tribute to Desmond Tutu was one of the most passionate, intense and angry appeals to justice that I've ever heard put to music. There's nothing nice about it:
Broken back to the ceiling
Broken nose to the floor
I scream at the silence, it's crawling
It crawls under the door
There's a rope around my neck
And there's a trigger in your gun
Jesus say something
I am someone, I am someone
I am someone
They talk not just about liberation, but the heat of oppression, the blood and the guts and the passion of hatred. They talk of a man "who is at the point where he is ready to take up arms against his oppressor." On ATYCLB, The best they could do for Buddhist leader Aung San Suu Kyi - who has spent years in prison for the heinous crime of being elected president of Myanmar - was to "leave it behind" (in Walk on). Where is Bono telling the Edge to communicate El Salvador on his guitar? Of all people, Bono echoes Justin Timberlake in asking "Where is the love?" Well, Bono, where is the anger? Where is the rebellion? Where is fatwa against injustice and anger and violence that you issued to my generation? 17 years ago, you sang,
And in our world a heart of darkness, a firezone
Where poets speak their hearts, then bleed for it
Jara sang his song, a weapon, in the hands of love
You know his blood still cries from the ground
What is the ATYCLB and Dismantle Bono's weapon? What will his blood cry from the ground for? Niceness?

And I think it is pretty obvious what happened to Bono: he grew up. He ceased to be an idealistic young musician trying to wake people up and radically changing the way we see the world. He became, instead, an idealistic middle aged musician and politician trying to increase US foreign aid to fight AIDS in Africa by 75% over the next six years. The first reviews of his new CD came not from Rolling Stone but from Kofi Annan. It is literally impossible to criticize this transformation from any legitimate political perspective. A single educated, articulate individual is lightyears more effective as a challenge to the powers that be than thousands of Rage Against the Machines or Chumbawumbas. But we don't look to rock musicians to be politicians (after all, we have bodybuilders for that). We look to rock musicians to be rebels; to channel the collective alienation and sense of injustice from their audience and turn it into activist fury. And perhaps it is impossible to do both things at the same time; perhaps the man who has Jesse Helms on speed dial cannot sing "if you plant a demon seed, you raise a flower of fire, see them burning crosses, see the flames higher and higher". But I miss that Bono.

And the idealism of this album is, quite frankly, much harder to listen to in this era. ATYCLB's giddy optimism was a lot easier to swallow in the idealistic last days of the Clinton administration. With Bush re-elected, idealistic people concerned about social injustice can't weep empty homilies. Now more than ever what we need is War. Now, more than ever, what we need is an artist willing to say this:

They ain’t gon’ stop us - they can't
We're stronger now, more then ever
They tell us "No", we say "Yeah"
They tell us "Stop", we say "Go"
Rebel with a rebel yell
Raise hell - we gon’ let em know
Stomp, push, shove, mush..
Fuck Bush
Until they bring our troops home

Of course, the artist who sang that also sang this:

Don't put out, i'll put you out, won't get out, i'll push you out
Puss blew out, poppin' shit, wouldn't piss on fire to put you out

And I ask myself... if I were, once again, a 15 year old alienated left wing teenager looking to musicians not just for their music but as role models in the context of a psychotic imperialist administration, who would I end up listening to? The guy who wants to leave his options open to slightly influence the guys in charge to be somewhat less evil? Or the guy who puts it perfectly, succinctly, precisely: Fuck Bush.

Last edited:
SATYAdaimoku said:
And I ask myself... if I were, once again, a 15 year old alienated left wing teenager looking to musicians not just for their music but as role models in the context of a psychotic imperialist administration, who would I end up listening to? The guy who wants to leave his options open to slightly influence the guys in charge to be somewhat less evil? Or the guy who puts it perfectly, succinctly, precisely: Fuck Bush.

Yes, the album is much "softer" now. U2 is less pointed in their criticisms.

But you know what? There's a time and place for everything. Now is not the time for crass, crude, and downright rude pseudo-rebellious statements.

We have had to deal with that enough in the world lately. In the War era, U2 knew they could stand up, make a point, be strong, and stick it to the man by making some strong statements. They kept on doing that up through Pop.

And for ATYCLB, they realized the time for that had come and gone.

There are too many people like you in the world that are willing to reduce everything to rude, crass, and obnoxious commentary and jingoism. "Fuck Bush" is not intelligent, poetic, or wise. It is crass, obnoxious and numbskulled and offends instead of persuading.

The ultimate goal is to persuade, not to offend. From War to Pop, U2 persuaded by making pointed (but poetic) statements. Now they persuade in a more gentle way, realizing that we as a world do not need pointedness. We have way too much of it right now for our own good.

Bottom line, I find your critique to be absolutely simpleminded and ridiculous. Go listen to your foulmouthed, obscene, crass Eminem album. I choose instead to listen poetic voices that encourage me to look at the world in a wise way... not a pseudo-rebellious, crass, offensive smallminded way.

Last edited:
The first listen didn't bode well for my opinion. Now that I've listened to it from start to finish several times, I can say it's a strong rock album with a few pop moments, not the album Pop, but the musical genre.

"Veritgo" was the best choice for an introductory single. It incapsulates the overall ambience of the album.

"Miracle Drug" was one of the hardest to like. As with most of the songs, it quickly convinced me of its value. I like how it addresses the logic of love by making a realist like myself look at love from the mystical point of view. Also, I learned that apparently a newborn baby's head has a scent... (I didn't know this) :)

"Sometimes You Can't Make it On Your Own" is the most touching song on the album, and hopefully stand the test of time. The "Stuck in the Moment" of the album, it can be applied to every relationship anyone has had with someone close to their hearts.

"Love and Peace or Else" is the one of the best blues tracks they've laid down in a while. Lay it down...lay it dooownnn...;) Listening to the words I'm compelled to call it "Peace on Earth: The Reckoning" due to it's aggressive response to apathy and need for force and action instead of sorrow and pity.

"City of Blinding Lights" piano intro reminds me too much of the theme song from "Alf", but aside from that part it's awesome. The "ooh-ooh-ohhhhhhh"'s are not along the lines of most rock tunes, but somehow the lyrics inspire me to look beyond the gliches in the music. The driving beat keeps the song alive and well, but I can't say I agree that it's the best song on the album.

"All Because of You"s intro covers several periods in U2's catalogue; sorta a combination of Pop meets The Joshua Tree. I can see this tune being from the Rattle and Hum sessions. To compare it to another album, it would be the "Wild Honey", or the "Trip Through Your Wires".

"A Man and A Woman" is a cool groove with vocals that really impress. Bono sounds really sexy on this one. The music laidback rock or super-suave pop. I'd love to hear this one as an acoustic number during the upcoming tour. This tune feels to flow effortlessly, unlike "City of Blinding Lights" and "Miracle Drug", because from start to finish it doesn't shift gears and the bridge doesn't greatly deviate from the verses and chorus.

"Crumbs From Your Table" The chimming guitar intro is flashback to The Joshua Tree era then it shifts into the harder guitar of Achtung Baby. This is one of the songs that convinced many critics to state this album was a return to the rock of their heyday (1983-1988).

"One Step Closer" is remisicent of "Passangers"; slow and gentle. To use the comparison of similar songs, I'd use "Running to Stand Still" as a good starting point. It feels like Bono was the spearhead of this tune, with the rest of band supplying background music. In other words, I bet this one has an especially significant relevance to Bono. Perhaps this is the hidden gem of the album. The last one to be discovered by most fans, but like "40" it will emerge as a cult favorite that closes shows on special occassions.

"Original of the Species" feels like it could be a huge hit. I say this because it sounds like something Maroon 5 or Matchbox Twenty would cover, and be successful with. Then again, the chorus is too strong for the verses, this means IMO that the verse kind of drags it down a bit. Thankfully, the song's later half is mostly refrains of the chorus...Could it be the second single?

"Yahweh" is refreshing because the majority of their final tracks are downers. This one uses a really cool cadance to the lyrics. It's simple, but effective. It's uplifting, optimistic and energetic unlike "Grace", "Wake Up Dead Man, "The Wanderer", "Love is Blindness", "Mothers of the Disappeared", "All I Want Is You", etc etc.

It's only now, after a week of repeated listens, that I can put fingers to ketboard on this new album. My thoughts & rankings for each song below:

Vertigo:
We know it so well. Not at all indicative of the rest of the album but a stand out rock track nonetheless.
8/10.

Miracle Drug:
Q. Why are U2 the best rock act in the world today ?.
A. Listen to Miracle Drug.
10/10.

Sometimes You Cant Make it on Your Own:
Weighty subject matter carried off beautifully.
8/10.

Love or Peace or Else:
Throbbing stomping rock that tries to restain itself but has to let go.
8/10.

City of Blinding Lights:
Perfect driving music. Killer chorus.
9/10.

All Because of You:
All right now, baby it's alright now.
9/10.

A Man & A Woman:
A song too good to give to someone else.
10/10.

Crumb From Your Table:
How to mix politics & rock.
9/10.

One Step Closer:
The antidote to Crumbs. Simple & poignant.
7/10.

Original of the Species:
All that orchestra time was not wasted.
10/10.

Yaweh:
Why cant we all just get along.
9/10.

My general feeling is that the band have created something truely great here.
Overall ranking: 9/10.

SATYAdaimoku said:
Sorry to be a newbie posting for the frist time to "trash the album" (sort of),

It's not just the fact that you are a newbie, but that you at least presented your thoughts in an organized and intellegent way that makes this alright. The jackasses that half an IQ of 90 come in here and trash the album are the ones that need to be sorted out. However much I disagree with your review here, I totally respect your opinon and am glad that you decided to post something like this here. Good job :up:

'How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb' a review by a descriptive fan...

I've taken hints from a book called 'The U2 Reader' and I decided to describe the new album in a new way, rather than just 'this album rocks'

It's been 4 years since a full studio album was released by U2, that is, if you don't count the release of The Best Of 1990-2000 (released in 2003.) So what has U2 been doing lately? Hearing the new songs, "Electrical Storm" and "The Hands That Built America" off the Best of 90-00, seemed to hint at a more mellow U2, that perhaps their flag waving, fist pumping days of rock were over, moving onto more ballad, slower tempo songs.

However, that is not true.

For almost 2 years, U2 went back to the studio to write another album, but after listening to 2000's 'All That You Can't Leave Behind' what was next for U2? 'All That You Can't Leave Behind' seemed to be U2 at their barest, and best -- stripped down songs, heartful lyrics of love and life, without the use of bells and whistles (a la Pop, Achtung Baby.) So what was the direction next for U2?

With "How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb" (a weird name for an album, but do recall 'Achtung Baby') U2 seems to have taken everything they have done in the past, but have made it better. Some people will try to classify this album, 'Oh it's another Achtung Baby' or 'It's another Joshua Tree' -- however, 'How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb' does not fit in one specific category. So what is it then?

After listening to the album, I can say confidently, that it feels like the missing link between WAR [1983] and The Unforgettable Fire [1984.] One may also say that it's the missing link between The Joshua Tree [1987] and Achtung Baby [1991.] Because with these albums, U2 went from rock, into experimental rock -- which did leave a few people scratching their heads.

'How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb' goes back to the raw rock and roll, combined with experimental bits, with the help of Brian Eno [Atmospheric guru] but when you first listen to 'Bomb' you won't think that any of the songs sound like anything, they're really all new songs that have elements of past songs in them, but are not copies of. The first single, 'Vertigo' is an energetic, fast paced, raw song. The Edge goes back to pushing out the powerful, melodic riffs that he once used to. It's a good feel to hear the ringing of his guitar, and distortion, that welcomes to the album. Bono's vocals, after all these years, are still bittersweet. Crisp clean, soaring vocals accompany the song. It's as if you have heard the song before, but it's a brand new song -- Bono's vocals bring you back to the days of rock and roll.

Adam Clayton gets more exposure on this album, since the days of Pop and Achtung Baby. Heavy, thick, well timed beats make the songs feel more energized, and your heart racing. Clayton's bass playing was more toned down on the last album, and it left some to wonder if they'd ever hear the raw sounds back in the BOY [1980] and WAR era. Larry Mullens drumming accompanies each song perfectly well, as you can feel Mullen keeping the songs together, with his smooth, powerful and almost [at times] tribal drum beats.

As for the band together, they come together as one on the album. There is no song that splits them into two, or one -- each song, has been worked on with each member, to their full potential. You can hear it on songs like "City Of Blinding Lights" which has an atmospheric, fast paced, brilliant imagery to it. The song could be dubbed as, "The Unforgettable Fire" part 2. The song starts out like 'Wire' and then builds to a climax with a great chorus accompanies the song, "Oh you look so beautiful tonight! In the city of blinding lights." Clayton's bass is absolutely wonderful it keeps you up with the song, as if counting your pulse. Edge's guitar playing and piano bits are melodic, raw and ringing.

Another song, "All Because Of You" is a raw, jump up and down song, filled with a catchy beat, and great lyrics. The song begins with a distorted guitar ring, like a chime, from the Edge and then builds into a search, as if you were looking into the jungle, which way the noise is coming from. It goes into a hip, raw rock song. Bono sings, "I was born, a child of grace, everything was ugly but your beautiful face." As to who he's writting about, is unknown. Mullen's drumming is bouncing, filled with quick strong beats, and Edge's guitar work is quick, raw, melodic ringing and an acoustic guitar accompanies the song. Bono opens his vocals and lets them soar, and with a shout in the middle, the band goes in for a full jam session. The song itself, seems like a nod to Coldplay, that if Coldplay wants to become U2, U2 won't have any problem becoming Coldplay.

A very personal song, "Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own" was written as an ode, and eulogy to Bob Hewson, Bono's father, who passed away in the summer of 2001. The song was performed as a snippet at the August 25th home concert at Slane Castle. The song can feel like a combination of 'Kite' and 'One' as the song begins, Edge strums and Mullen lightly drums along, Bono sings "And it's you when I look in the mirror, and it's you when I pick up the phone." That Bono still misses his father, and it's heavily hinted at in this song. The song then turns into a full out rock song, and Bono's vocals soar with emotion and he sings the chorus again, then the song comes back down to earth, and ends with The Edge playing a chimming, ringing string.

I could go into more detail of each song, but I can say that every song is well crafted, with full potential of each band member, Bono's soaring vocals, poetic lyrics -- Edge's chimming, ringing melodic sweeping guitar, Adam Clayton's heavy heart beat, loud and strong bass lines -- Larry Mullen's simple, yet powerful drumming keeps the songs moving from start to finish. This album is indeed a bomb, a bomb full of thoughtful, melodic and passionate music, fans will feel at home, with this album.

SATYAdaimoku said:

That was a gutsy post and you made a lot of interesting, salient points. Any fan on this board who doesn't at least take your points into consideration is fooling themselves into thinking U2 can do no wrong.

I agree with your assertion that, on a purely lyrical basis, U2 is not bringing the political heat the same way they used to. These days, rather than provoking the listener using emotionally charged metaphors and shocking intensity, U2 has chosen to be more direct and straight-forward in presenting their political views.

While it is difficult to accept that the band is older now and that they no longer feel the need to approach things in the same way, I understand that they could not continue to waive the white flag to remain popular and, more importantly, relevant. They are older and don't feel the need to express themselves with anger anymore. Perfectly understandable.

Nevertheless, I will miss the audacious, powerful, and angry imagery in the lyrics that existed throughout the 80's and part of the 90's. That U2 vs. the world attitude. You know it when you hear it.

These songs still have hope, though. Let's see what direction the band takes them in a live setting before rendering a final judgment on them.

Have you read the HTDAAB's reviews on Amazon.com (collector's edition)?? Some people really hates U2...

I think this is U2's strongest release since the Joshua Tree without a doubt.
I loved Rattle & hum but Hawkmoon 269 and love rescue me do not push my buttons and allways get skipped.
Up untill this album Actung Baby was my favourite. Even that album had a couple of tracks that took time to grow on me Love is blindness which I now rank as a classic and Trying to throw your arms around the world which at best is only ok.
Unfortunately by the time zoo tv hit Europe it had been diluted by Mcphisto,Numb and Daddies gonna pay for your crashed car.
I can now listen to Zooropa (skipping crashed car and somedays)
Its got some great stuff on it Zoorpa,lemon and Stay great U2 songs!
Pop took me years to get into and ATYCLB took a long time to get any further than In a little while.
As for the new album it got me first listen! Love and peace is gonna be a huge live song (Could this be the one to elbow out Bullet the blue sky)
Man and a woman is awesome with the coolest Bass line since new years day.Try listening to it without going do do do do do do do d do You cant its impossible!
Sometimes you cant make it on your own is for me the most emotional u2 song ive ever heard. Listening to it knowing the context of the song is a very emotional experience.
Yaweh classic U2 the best last song on any U2 album (The uk release will have fast cars so that may not be true.)
My only slight critic of the album is orignal of the species a nice song but a bit too Beatles for me. I love the Beatles but dont think it ever sounds right when someone else does it. Im sure it will grow on me though.
I only hope these songs sound as good live as they do on the album!
I cant wait to find out

CICOLO said:
Have you read the HTDAAB's reviews on Amazon.com (collector's edition)?? Some people really hates U2...

Is it the US Amazon.com? I went to the regular HTDAAB edition and the "deluxe" edition and there is nowhere to put reviews in. IT's not an option yet because the album hasnt come out. ??

RademR said:

Is it the US Amazon.com? I went to the regular HTDAAB edition and the "deluxe" edition and there is nowhere to put reviews in. IT's not an option yet because the album hasnt come out. ??

Yeah, and it's awful. I hope some of the people that actually love the album begin to write reviews. I know I will be.

Back
Top Bottom