MERGED-->ALL Personal Vertigo DVD Reviews HERE

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Oh yeah one more positive I forgot to mention:

- There are loads of shots of Edge's effects pedals/gear. As a guitarist this to great to see. You even get to read the name of his patches ("ELECTRICCO", "BEAUTIFL D" etc.)!

Trabantland, fair enough I might need to have been there to really tell what the crowd were like. It just seemed that in some shots they were very flat (no movement at all). By the way did anyone who watched the DVD pick up the young boy during ITH's name? It's really hard to hear! Ladera Heights, you are right about Bono's guitar. Most of the time it's great to hear it so clearly, and he does a nice little improvised bit during RTSS (which by the way is one of the best live versions, if not the best, I have seen on the tour of that song. Whereas I was expecting this to be one of the weaker tracks, it really was powerful).

And finally one more positive is the brilliant shot at the end of Yahweh where all 4 members of the band are at the tip of the ellipse, almost standing right in the crowd. It's really emotional!

Yes it was definately something I noticed as well. The audience seemed extremely flat, often with barely any movement in the ellipse at all. You are probably right U2Man as, compared with Boston/Slane, there are practically no crowd shots.

hey JTH, whats the documentary like? Do they ever talk to a guy wearing a red backwards baseball hat?

What I like:
- great energy from the band, a rocking setlist
- the ZooTV encore (especially The Fly)
- amazing performances of City, Vertigo, Love&Peace, Electric Co., Sunday Bloody Sunday
- Adam Clayton!
- mistakes included, not edited

What I don't like:
- flat crowd
- weird editing (Bono is singing, but not visually)
- I do miss Gloria very much...

I just watched the dvd in a special U2 night and what I can tell is that 40 is almost perfect, both visually and the sound....

The bad news is that in Elevation there is a major problem where you can hear the whoooooo's from Bono but the prob is that you don't see it...
And this happens for 5 or 6 seconds...
It's clearly visible...

Now Streets wasn't as good as in the Boston dvd...
You can see many many times Edge's gear, that's cool...
My overall opinion is that visually is one of the best "indoor" dvd's ever...As I have read from a guy, this show ROCKS..!!!!
I predict it will sell like hot cakes...!!!

And if this one is good I'm wondering what the milan dvd gonna be..!!!!

The main problem of this dvd is this crowd...
C'mon guys you are going to a U2 concert...
You 're watching Streets live..!!!
IMO this is the worst shot of Streets ever...
I couldn't believe it..
You can count the people that were jumping in the ellipse...
In Rome wich was the show I attended the whole stadium was on fire, and I totally mean it...
As for the dvd itself it's a masterpiece and if this is a masterpiece, I can't imagine what Milan gonna be...

C'mon tifozi..!!!!!!!!

I find it weird that the ellipse wasn't bouncing to Streets. For my 2 concerts in Europe (Brussels and Dublin) the place went crazy during streets.

Chizip said:
hey JTH, whats the documentary like? Do they ever talk to a guy wearing a red backwards baseball hat?

Chizip I don't remember anyone like that, but then they did interview a lot of people so I'm not sure. Some of them are singing Vertigo in the queue, and they show a load of fans at the ticket machine where they see if they get into the ellipse or not. The documentary is actually much better than the Boston one, there's a lot of backstage footage of the band and interviews McGuinness, Gavin Friday, Joe O'Herlihy etc. There's also footage from Bono and Edge's "meet and greet", where the crowd sing happy birthday to Bono.

So overall if you were one of the ones who queued early, there's a very good chance you'll be in it somewhere.

menelaos said:
Now Streets wasn't as good as in the Boston dvd...

Now, I haven't seen the Chicago DVD yet, but this isn't possible. Hamish can't fuck up Streets more than he did in Boston. For one thing, Streets doesn't have the lights at the intro this time. And he fucked up that part in the Boston DVD majorly. That part is the definition of fucking up, so bad was it.
So I won't believe that Streets wasn't as good as in the Boston DVD. Or did you imply that it wasn't as good because it's better? ;)

djerdap said:

The single version is out in Europe on November 11th.
Like I said, Adam is circling the ellipse on New Year's Day (great shots of him jamming with The Edge), Where the Streets Have No Name (with Bono at the tip of the ellipse) and Mysterious Ways. Any comparsion with the other DVD's or videos is useless. You see a 100% more alive and mobile Adam here.

On this lousy island on which I ive, the music shops have "no word" on when this DVD will arrive! Now I'm really grumpy! heh! At least it should be in my hands before Christmas!

I saw Bono kissing Adam is Streets. Any confirmation of that:wink: ?

You just got me all hyped up again, djerdap, with your last sentence! :hyper: I believe that if you do exciting things, footage of you will be duly shot. I mean, I'll face it, Adam was pretty boring in Slane. Either facing Larry or giving a very calm look while playing (not jamming) his bass. If Paul McGuiness were to come out and give the middle finger, he would get the chance to be on the DVD too, cos that is exciting stuff!

i was there for the 5/9 and 5/10 shows. the crowd definetly wasn't anything special. still, with all these details and reviews I can't wait to see the concert, sounds amazing!!!

The Milan DVD will have an amazing crowd :drool:

they should have waited until the third leg to release this. The band was great in the spring, but they are on FIRE now. Should have shot it at the Garden in NY, and released it this christmas.

Re: Re: Re: What you like and dislike about the Chicago DVD

redhill said:
I don't think so!

These are all valid points. It disgraces U2's older work to not list the songs correctly!

This is official and should be double checked.

I'm as much of a grammar nazi as the next gal, but I don't think leaving off the quotation marks from the song 40 disgraces anything.

Running to "Standstill," however, is just embarrassing. Really, don't these places have editors, or at least one lackey who knows how to use spell check?

Yeah, everyone's saying they should have shot it in NY instead. U2's (esp Bono's) love affiar with the Big Apple is pretty obvious. BUT WE"D HAVE TO WAIT LONGER!!

Can someone please post a setlist for an ancient prune like me?

I hope they have 40!! Adam on guitar!!

But think about it the other way: if they would shot DVD on the 3rd leg in NY, for sure we would not get an cat dubh/into the heart, running to stand still and mayby even whole zoo tv part! (if they would use the acoustic part instead)

Hello,

As a person that was at the show on the rail outside the ellipse, I can only say that my part of the floor was rocking. :)

As a thought on why the ellipse isn't.... lottery. You get people in there that don't know most songs. Obviously, they get what they want by seeing new faces up close, but it obviously hurts on a recording.

I don't know, just my 2 cents.

Jamescorymiko said:
Hello,

As a person that was at the show on the rail outside the ellipse, I can only say that my part of the floor was rocking. :)

As a thought on why the ellipse isn't.... lottery. You get people in there that don't know most songs. Obviously, they get what they want by seeing new faces up close, but it obviously hurts on a recording.

Bingo.

And have we really gotten to the point where we're complaining about the crowd?? Have we exhausted ourselves bitching about the band? :eyebrow:

And yeah, I'll admit it, I was one of the people on the floor on the 10th not "bouncing" to Streets. Why? Because Streets is stale and boring for me this tour. So sue me for making the DVD bad. :rolleyes:

WildHoneyAlways said:
And yeah, I'll admit it, I was one of the people on the floor on the 10th not "bouncing" to Streets. Why? Because Streets is stale and boring for me this tour. So sue me for making the DVD bad. :rolleyes:

SMITE!

:wink:

WildHoneyAlways said:

"Streets" has sucked for quite a while, as far as I'm concerned. Don't feel bad. I wasn't in the ellipse for the tapings, but I was there. I clapped and did my best to at least seem motivated...but it was hollow. At least you're more honest than I am. Just because it's a DVD shoot doesn't mean you have to pretend you're enjoying a crap presentation of a pretty tired song, so more power to you. I'm pickin' up what you're puttin' down.

I'm not sure how 2nd and 3rd leg ended up looking, but it seemed like Streets might have lost a step and Bad gained one to reclaim its title as U2's best live song.

Zoovation said:

That's not true. The release date is November 14th for most of the European countries.

Ok I should rephrase. Ireland (and probably the U.K. as well) always get things on a Friday - new albums/DVDs, plus cinema films.

Jamescorymiko said:

:up: i agree that the lottery is largely the cause of why the ellipse as a whole doesn't "rock".

however, i was fortunate to be front-and-center inside the ellipse on 5/10, and the immediate area around me was going nuts. :)

.......so in the end we can all blame it on the band......I feel so much more relaxed again........:drool:

You know . . . that's true. Actually, I was talking to fans outside the Fleet Center in Boston who'd been to the Elevation shows, and they agreed that the first show fell abnormally flat, and then the shows got progressively better until they put on a brilliant concert after the cameras were off . . . the exact same is true of Chicago this year!

well on the documentary for the elevation DVD, its mentioned just how flat the crowd and the band were,

i have seen plenty of clips from other shows this tour, were the crowd still go nuts to streets

Back
Top Bottom