Manganui-o-te-Ao River, New Zealand Superthread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
bonnie, have you got any interest in the flaming lips' new album? i get paid tuesday and wednesday, and i haven't bought music in a while, so i've been feeling a tad of withdrawal, so i'm going to get one $20 album, and one $10 album from jb.

have you heard it? i could ask the b&c crew, but that's not going to help me i feel.

if anyone else would like to chime in, feel free. i've got to get the pearl jam album too.

bonnie, have you got any interest in the flaming lips' new album? i get paid tuesday and wednesday, and i haven't bought music in a while, so i've been feeling a tad of withdrawal, so i'm going to get one $20 album, and one $10 album from jb.

have you heard it? i could ask the b&c crew, but that's not going to help me i feel.

if anyone else would like to chime in, feel free. i've got to get the pearl jam album too.

It's one of the trippiest, most surreal fucking things I've heard in ages. Light a candle while it's playing and it'll make watching candle wax melt seem like an epiphany in itself.

Seriously, there are like four standout tracks on the entire thing, but as a complete sonic experience, it's not to be missed. I kinda love it.

Loveless - My Bloody Valentine

Fuck that shit, Nowhere by Ride is the shoegaze album. Mezcal Head by Swervedriver is just a touch behind; Duress may be the finest song of the genre.

Loveless is the sound of people with nothing to say and too many effects pedals with which to say it.

It's one of the trippiest, most surreal fucking things I've heard in ages. Light a candle while it's playing and it'll make watching candle wax melt seem like an epiphany in itself.

Seriously, there are like four standout tracks on the entire thing, but as a complete sonic experience, it's not to be missed. I kinda love it.

i will consider it.

i was pretty vague there, liam. i think the $20 album i'll go for will be backspacer.

what is this shoegaze business by the way?

Fuck that shit, Nowhere by Ride is the shoegaze album. Mezcal Head by Swervedriver is just a touch behind; Duress may be the finest song of the genre.

Loveless is the sound of people with nothing to say and too many effects pedals with which to say it.

Is that really such a bad thing, though? It says nothing, but it does it in such a cacophonic and strangely beautiful way...

I will get some Ride, though...

i will consider it.

i was pretty vague there, liam. i think the $20 album i'll go for will be backspacer.

Shoegaze - so many effect pedals that the guitarists would "gaze" at their shoes, avoiding the audience's glance either 1) for stage fright or 2) to operate the aforementioned pedals.

I believe Bonnie once called it something like floppy-haired Englishmen making their guitars sound like dying elephants.

Is that really such a bad thing, though? It says nothing, but it does it in such a cacophonic and strangely beautiful way...

I will get some Ride, though...

I just think Loveless is one of the less remarkable albums from the classic bands of the shoegaze period. It seems to often be the only shoegaze album people ever hear, and what they define shoegaze by. I think that's just silly. Now, I gave it 3.5 stars on RYM so I clearly think it has some merit, but it's just ... well it's not Nowhere, that's for fucking certain. Nothing says shoegaze quite like Nowhere.

I do, for the record, prefer the side of shoegaze closer to noise rock than the side closer to dream pop.

I believe Bonnie once called it something like floppy-haired Englishmen making their guitars sound like dying elephants.

I just think Loveless is one of the less remarkable albums from the classic bands of the shoegaze period. It seems to often be the only shoegaze album people ever hear, and what they define shoegaze by. I think that's just silly. Now, I gave it 3.5 stars on RYM so I clearly think it has some merit, but it's just ... well it's not Nowhere, that's for fucking certain. Nothing says shoegaze quite like Nowhere.

I do, for the record, prefer the side of shoegaze closer to noise rock than the side closer to dream pop.

Touched agrees.

Well, I dunno. I'm just starting to get into it, so I'm not fully ingrained yet. I've been mainly listening to stuff like Mission of Burma so I'm probably on the same side of the spectrum.

ok cool, thanks.

*doesanyofrogergilmoursworkcomeunderthisgenre*

I could recommend for hours, though.

Peter Hammill - In Camera
Nick Drake - Pink Moon (IF YOU DON'T HAVE THIS GET THIS. FIRST PRIORITY.)
Genesis - Selling England By The Pound
Porcupine Tree - In Absentia
The Police - Zenyatta Mondatta
XTC - Drums and Wires
The Smiths - The Queen Is Dead
Chroma Key - Dead Air For Radios

The moral? Don't ask Liam for music recommendations. He can go for hours and still not even be started.

Didn't know you dug Dead Air For Radios that much, Liam. Good pick.

Fuck The Smiths, though. Don't know why they get lumped in with jangle pop sometimes.

I could recommend for hours, though.

Peter Hammill - In Camera
Nick Drake - Pink Moon (IF YOU DON'T HAVE THIS GET THIS. FIRST PRIORITY.)
Genesis - Selling England By The Pound
Porcupine Tree - In Absentia
The Police - Zenyatta Mondatta
XTC - Drums and Wires
The Smiths - The Queen Is Dead
Chroma Key - Dead Air For Radios

The moral? Don't ask Liam for music recommendations. He can go for hours and still not even be started.

You know I have Pink Moon don't you? I was hear for that listening party we had months ago. The first image that came to mind when you described shoegaze was the Bryter Layter cover.

I've been meaning to get Queen is Dead for ages now.

Eh, I just pulled up eight random albums. It's been growing on me.

They're not jangle pop, they're post punk. And they're a bloody good band.

Eight more, you say?

EIGHT MORE.

King Crimson - Red
Yes - Relayer
Peter Gabriel - IV
Talking Heads - Remain In Light
Leo Kottke and Mike Gordon - Clone
Joy Division - who cares, pick an album and run with it
R.E.M. - Reckoning
New Order - Power, Corruption and Lies

You know I have Pink Moon don't you? I was hear for that listening party we had months ago. The first image that came to mind when you described shoegaze was the Bryter Layter cover.

I've been meaning to get Queen is Dead for ages now.

Ah, yeah, that is right. Excuse me, I'm going slightly insane.

Contrary to what Ax believes, The Queen Is Dead is a VERY good album. Not fantastic, but still very good. Only one or two weak songs, plus one of the most tragic love songs ever...

They're not jangle pop, they're post punk. And they're a bloody good band.

Well, I agree they aren't jangle pop, but regardless of what we think, they routinely are said to be so. It seems to be hard to find a list of jangle pop bands that doesn't mention them.

I can't stand them. Morrissey is just ... horrible. His vocal style is insufferably dull and his lyrics wish they were pretentious but just fail on every level. He truly is the man who thinks he has everything to say but in reality contributed nothing.

No, I haven't, actually. Been busy, haven't had time to actually write music in a very long while. Did you?

I keep stuffing around with harmonics but I haven't quite come up with a song yet. A couple of riffs have come together though.

I'm tempted to write a long wanky instrumental with nothing but harmonics. The trick's actually remembering it.

Yeah I had a read of the wiki article before.

Court of the Crimson King I've been meaning to get as well, Frippy seems pretty talented from what I've heard.

I'll have to make up my own mind on the Smiths, I think. All I read is about how good Morrissey is a lyricist, though. Inte worships him.

Well, I agree they aren't jangle pop, but regardless of what we think, they routinely are said to be so. It seems to be hard to find a list of jangle pop bands that doesn't mention them.

I can't stand them. Morrissey is just ... horrible. His vocal style is insufferably dull and his lyrics wish they were pretentious but just fail on every level. He truly is the man who thinks he has everything to say but in reality contributed nothing.

See, I like his singing and his lyrics...but that's me. I think they're a band where personal taste contributes. A LOT.

Yeah I had a read of the wiki article before.

Court of the Crimson King I've been meaning to get as well, Frippy seems pretty talented from what I've heard.

I'll have to make up my own mind on the Smiths, I think. All I read is about how good Morrissey is a lyricist, though. Inte worships him.

Fripp. Is. God.

The guy's such an inspiration to me as a guitarist...he's a fucking FREAK.

I'd enjoy The Smiths if they had a frontman who wasn't completely up his own arse.

Liam, you may be interested in a band called Orange Juice, though. Their vocalist was doing Morrissey's style before Morrissey did it, and they jangle more than The Smiths. I found them really boring but it seems your results may vary.

Write it down, then.

And I presume it's been done, I just don't know of it.

I'm lazy and hate writing tabs. But yes, I should.

I assume it has too. And probably with a wider range than I use. I tend to stick to 7th and 12th fret harmonics.

I'd enjoy The Smiths if they had a frontman who wasn't completely up his own arse.

Liam, you may be interested in a band called Orange Juice, though. Their vocalist was doing Morrissey's style before Morrissey did it, and they jangle more than The Smiths. I found them really boring but it seems your results may vary.

Well...well...*can't think of a comeback*

Nah, tried them, found them insufferably boring. May go back at some point, doubt it.

Back
Top Bottom