magnificent will be next single?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Best song does not equal best single.

MOS is an album experience. It does not suit the commercial radio format at all.

Edit the song to commercial radio format and I think that it would do very well. I am just not sure they can take off 2 and half minutes of the song lol...although they made Lemon radio friendly so you never know.

MOS should never be a single. There's literally nothing to be cut that won't take away from the song; and, really, there isn't enough of an attention span in pop radio for that sort of a song, even if they miraculously cut it down to four minutes.

Magnificent is a much better choice.

They could also do something totally crazy and release Breathe as the next single.

2nd - Magnificent (cut the 45 second intro - I love it but not needed)
3rd - Crazy Tonight (one of the lesser tracks on the album but still good and catchy as hell)
4th - Moment of Surrender (sorry, but cut the first minute and fade so the last minute is cut, still 5 and a half minutes long)

Here's Numb1075's 2 cents:

the next single should be Crazy...it's the most pop radio friendly.

the 3rd single should be MOS; to draw in the sappy folks

and a 4th, should they choose, should be Breathe !

The problem we have to deal with is the fact that commercial radio, at least in the U.S., tends to ignore everything after the second single... and the last time a second single had any effect on the charts here was Mysterious Ways after The Fly did even worse on our charts than Boots (One did almost as well as Mysterious Ways, too, but that whole album was an exception to the rule). U2 needs to get a good catchy single, really Magnificent or Crazy Tonight, out ASAP, and market the shit out of it. Crazy Tonight is more poppy, and is the more logical choice, but Boots was the logical choice for first single, and we saw how well that worked. Magnificent is kind of what I'm banking on, just because it is the best song on the album (or second best or whatever), but is also kind of 'classic U2' that people expect and like.

Whatever happens, we cannot let the second single release be another SATS clusterfuck.

the problem for me with Magnificent (and I love the tune btw), is that it has A Man and A Woman vibe to it...dont know if that will float on radio.

what magnificent has going for it is that it's bleeding ENORMOUS. everytime anyone has refered to a U2 song as an Epic U2 Anthem, this is what they meant.

This song will effing destroy on radio and music video stations. it's the best promotional tool the band has. It's very U2, but it's got a touch of the soulful experimentation that the rest of the album has. Also, it's a great song.

I can see that crazy is meant to be a single, as is Stand Up Comedy. So if U2 wants to release a version of the album that substitutes Tripoli and Every Breaking Wave for Crazy and SUC, that'd be fine. Hell, even if they released a version of the album that cut crazy and SUC, I'd love that.

Because those songs do not belong on the same album as Cedars, as FEZ, as Unknown Caller. release them to radio, get them off the album.

Man, there are some weird ideas out there for singles. There's no way MoS is single material, no matter how much editing you do. I LOVE MoS but it's about as "albumy" of an album track as you can get--even more so than Bad.

Besides the semi-official choices of Magnificent and Crazy Tonight, the only other 2 that I could see them considering are Breathe and maybe SUC, although it's structure may be a bit too irregular.

Really it should be Magnificent, then Crazy, then Breathe. They are the most radio friendly IMO, and as much as I love MOS and Unknown Caller they are way too risky along with the others.

I was hoping that Magnificent would NOT be released as a single. It's just too good of a song. I don't want it to be tainted by radio overplay. Case in point, I really enjoyed the song "viva la vida" when I first heard it. Radio overplay has wrecked that song for me.

I was hoping that Magnificent would NOT be released as a single. It's just too good of a song. I don't want it to be tainted by radio overplay. Case in point, I really enjoyed the song "viva la vida" when I first heard it. Radio overplay has wrecked that song for me.

I was just about to say this :up:

that and I don't want to share it with the ignorant masses :tsk:

my only saving grace is that I don’t listen to the radio so overplaying a track does not effect me anymore.

Exactly, I don't want non-u2 fans to hear it. The ignorant masses won't understand how special of a song it is.

This is a tough call for me. I think my gut tells me Crazy Tonight will do better on the radio, but I can see Magnificent doing well too. I thought the initial reports were that Crazy would be the next single, which makes sense to me.

Magnificent is an obvious single. I can certainly see it making more of an impact than Boots, that's for sure. I really think they could release Breathe as a single as well.

Boots tanked badly

Not really.

Then again, it may depend on what you were expecting.

If U2 or anyone else was expecting a song like "Boots" to rip up the charts, then yeah, it tanked.

However, if you expected this to be an alternative hit, then you would have predicted well as the song is a huge alternative rock success.

In the U.S., GOBY has been #1 on Triple A (aldult alternative) for four consecutive weeks. It's #5 on the Modern Rock charts. If it weren't for the iPod commercial, I would say that "Vertigo" would have received the exact same type of success (even though it was more radio-friendly). The iPod commercial pushed the song into another level. It should be noted that big hits on alternative radio don't always cross-over to mainstream. "Sex on Fire" by KOL was a huge alternative hit, but didn't even make the Hot 100 on the U.S. Billboard charts (to the best of my knowledge).

GOYB, in contrast, became a Top 40 hit in the U.S. Yes, it's stay was short-lived as Billboard changes how they manage the Hot 100 on a near weekly basis (i.e., what were hits years ago might not be now). But that Top 40 ranking makes it a bigger hit than many U2 classics.

Still, there's no way that particular song was going to cross-over. While some may like "The Fly" more, it too wasn't a hit (only in the U.K., where there was a rumor of the CD single being short-lived "special"). So like "The Fly", GOYB got out some early word. It wasn't designed to be a monster cross-over track. That's the job of the second single in this case.

With that in mind, U2 do need to get out the second single fast. I recommend a second single release the same week as the album's release. This way radio can say "and here's the new one from U2, on their just released album that you can buy this week".

An edit of "Magnificent" is ideal. The two fast songs in a row approach doesn't usually work. Fans want to see a change in pace. Hence, "Magnificent" is a good choice. But it is too long for radio. These aren't the glory days of radio, where a "Hey Jude" or "American Pie" or "Free Bird" or any other ultra long track could be played in its entirety. Radio now is a bit like early rock radio - shorter songs are better.

After "Magnificent", I think "Stand Up" works well. There's no other song remotely like GOYB on the album, so fans who were a bit turned off by that song (and that wouldn't be many as mainstream radio never played it, so no one has heard it), may enjoy a more traditional rocking song like "Stand Up". "Crazy" may also work (although I feel it needs a bit of editing for radio).

But U2 should move fast. GOYB wasn't a flop, but it wasn't a huge hit that could keep interest in the album for months. So a second single is needed ASAP. Hopefully with this extra time (as the original goal was to release the album in November), U2 are ready to go with single #2 in a few weeks. If not, they should start work now.

About GOYB tanking.^^^

Rock singles by real bands just don't work in the US anymore. People do not take the time to listen & get a feel for them. US listeners want simple music that sounds friendly enough to sing along too. Don't think GOYB failed because its not in the Top 40. U2 don't belong there, and we should be thankful there writing music relevant for themselves that appeals to us..the fans.

-Album release
-Media praise
-Letterman
-Magnificent
-Tour announcement (should be huge)

All this will put U2 in the media. I still can't believe they made an album as epic as NLOTH :drool:

I don't know why anybody would want MOS to be a single, though.

Agree.
MoS is amazingly beautiful, but nowhere near as single material. Anyway, I thought that about VLV and look how that went. :wink:

Magnificent is a good choice, but I still think the next single is IGCIIDGCT.

Still think its a while before the next single. They'll probably wait to see how the US reacts to the Letterman performances, album release and radio play of tracks from the album.

Personally speaking I think everysong bar FEZ and CEDARS could be a single.

But I would say the next singles will be in order.

CRAZY TONIGHT
Magnificent
WHITE AS SNOW

And I think WHITE AS SNOW as the potential of becoming a big radio hit.
Its all about how they are precevied on radio and MTV (good video can make all the diference.) you need songs offthe album which stand out from the others which non u2 fans would appreciate.

From what I've heard Crazy Tonight would be the next single, with Magnificent following after that. I think both work great as singles, and they're both awesome songs (yes, Crazy Tonight is awesome).

Magnificent will be the best choice for the next single. Its the song that will get the album the most attention and while buzz for the album is most fresh. Crazy I think would be a goos single further down the road. MOS as much as I love the song will make a poor single. That one should just stay on the album.

Crazy Tonight is certainly generic enough to be a radio hit but would probably do more damage than good in the long run. It's great ammunition for those increasing numbers who believe every U2 song sounds the same these days and would likely confirm their decision not to invest in the album was a wise one.

Magnificent on the the other hand offers something old and something new. It's the perfect choice. Unknown Caller too.

Back
Top Bottom