Magnificent video is out, what do you think about it ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

What do you think of the Magnificent Video

• Total voters
I like the minimalist approach

I'm not sure what the lifting and flight of the white sheets is supposed to signify, but it is intriguing, numinous, and beautifully choreographed to the music. I perceive a sense of exaltation of the divine by creation ( the natural world, including human beings and the artifices they have fashioned). Perhaps the undulating sheets also symbolize the spirit of God and refer to that other song born in Morocco--"the spirit moves in mysterious ways" Personally, I prefer this artistry to the Boots video, though I like it, also.

BORING.

We get to sheets, u2 playing, sheets, u2 playing, u2 walking down the streets, sheets, u2 playing, sheets, etc.

Really, really, boring.

After Get On Your Boots (fantastic video!) i was hoping for some more creativity.

the letterman performance was simply brilliant, and MUCH, MUCH superior to the somerville one. i thought bono's singing in the latter was pretty average

I voted okay, because I don't hate it.

But I am extremely underwhelmed by it.

I liked the video overall. I liked the white sheets unveiling the beauty of Morocco. I don't like the radio edit either. It made me feel like I missed part of the video the first time I saw it. I definitely prefer it to the Get On Your Boots video.

Agreed.

Boring as hell. The two dancers look stoned or something...

Great song, lousy video.

I don't get it with U2 sometimes. They have whatever budget they want to shoot a video and they end up doing this poetic-like crap.

Agreed.

Boring as hell. The two dancers look stoned or something...

Great song, lousy video.

I don't get it with U2 sometimes. They have whatever budget they want to shoot a video and they end up doing this poetic-like crap.

I like poetic-like crap.

You people are crazy, its a really good video. Not as good as Boots (IMHO their best ever) but it completely blows away the version of Magnificent that Anton did for Linear. So boring and ugly, the band looks awful and the thing goes nowhere, its really terrible.

The official video isn't their best ever but I still really like it, very classy and zen. My only real problem is cutting out the solo section in the middle. I'd rank it around Beautiful Day, not as good as Boots or Vertigo or Electrical Storm but certainly better than Elevation or City Of Blinding Lights (I like all of these vids, btw).

So yeah, cool video.

I like it

in a way it reminds me of a cross between Mysterious Ways and Walk On vid.

Bono is looking well hot in it anyhow! :drool::drool:

I can kinda see what the video is saying to us, but wondering if they could have used other cities/countries in with same effect.

:crack:

other than that I rate the song a bloody 9 outta 10 cause its SO U2! :up:

Something about this sentence doesn't make sense...was it played on the Hills or something?:wink:

I know, I know, but MTV and VH1 (PL) still play music videos over here :up:
(although, I must say it was wierd to see Magnificent being played between some old Marilyn Manson song and some new emo band :lol:)

You people are crazy, its a really good video. Not as good as Boots (IMHO their best ever) but it completely blows away the version of Magnificent that Anton did for Linear. So boring and ugly, the band looks awful and the thing goes nowhere, its really terrible.

The official video isn't their best ever but I still really like it, very classy and zen. My only real problem is cutting out the solo section in the middle. I'd rank it around Beautiful Day, not as good as Boots or Vertigo or Electrical Storm but certainly better than Elevation or City Of Blinding Lights (I like all of these vids, btw).

So yeah, cool video.

I know! Great video. All the "so boring!" comments seem really unappreciative to me -- the white sheets look fantastic and there are some pretty expensive and advanced special effects going on here, no? The look and feel of the video completely matches the theme of the song (looking up to praise God) and the album's overarching theme of surrender, too. One of their best videos, IMO.

I know! Great video. All the "so boring!" comments seem really unappreciative to me -- the white sheets look fantastic and there are some pretty expensive and advanced special effects going on here, no? The look and feel of the video completely matches the theme of the song (looking up to praise God) and the album's overarching theme of surrender, too. One of their best videos, IMO.

:up: i think so too!

So I'm trying to figure why U2 would even bother spending the money to hire a director, take a crew to Morocco for a shoot, and do CGI work for a video that's barely going to get any airplay. I have no idea whether this video is playing on MTV or VH1 in the US, because they only show videos at 3AM or on some obscure cable channel that I would have to pay extra for.

The video is not available on iTunes or anywhere else for purchase as far as I can tell, and I doubt anyone but devout fans would go to U2.com to watch a video.

So is their grand plan to post a high-quality flash video on U2.com, knowing it will get reposted to YouTube then linked to on blogs, message boards, and Facebook pages? Is this the paradigm for music video marketing in the 21st century?

Because honestly, they could have just posted the Somerville version and been done with it, and saved themselves a lot of time, effort, and money. :twocents:

I like the video, BTW. :reject:

So I realize that The Cure has literally dropped off the face of the earth compared to U2, but here are some recent thoughts (2008) from Robert Smith about making promotional videos in today's market...

Robert Smith said:
QUITE A FEW PEOPLE HAVE ASKED US
WHY NO 'REAL' NEW VIDEOS TO GO WITH THE 'MIX 13' SINGLES...
THE TRUTH IS
AFTER THE DISMAL RESPONSE
(IE THEY WEREN'T SHOWN ANYWHERE!)
TO THE LAST 'REAL' VIDEOS WE MADE
WE JUST COULDN'T WORK UP THE ENTHUSIASM TO MAKE ANOTHER LOT...
AS WE HONESTLY BELIEVE THAT WHATEVER VIDEOS WE WERE TO MAKE - HOWEVER GOOD OR BAD - WOULD STILL NOT REALLY GET SHOWN ANYWHERE...

SO WHAT'S THE POINT?!!

HOWEVER...
AS A KIND OF HALFWAYHOUSE THING
I DID A SHORT INTERVIEW WITH MTV IN EARLY MAY
AND WE FILMED A FEW SONGS WITH THEM IN THE SAME STUDIO WE HAVE BEEN RECORDING AND MIXING IN...

IT WAS QUICK AND EASY
SHOT 'IN THE STUDIO' STYLE
AND INTENDED TO HELP GET US A BIT OF PRESENCE ON THE MTV SITES...

So basically they shot some in-studio footage for MTV.com and that was it.

So I'm trying to figure why U2 would even bother spending the money to hire a director, take a crew to Morocco for a shoot, and do CGI work for a video that's barely going to get any airplay. I have no idea whether this video is playing on MTV or VH1 in the US, because they only show videos at 3AM or on some obscure cable channel that I would have to pay extra for.

The video is not available on iTunes or anywhere else for purchase as far as I can tell, and I doubt anyone but devout fans would go to U2.com to watch a video.

So is their grand plan to post a high-quality flash video on U2.com, knowing it will get reposted to YouTube then linked to on blogs, message boards, and Facebook pages? Is this the paradigm for music video marketing in the 21st century?

Because honestly, they could have just posted the Somerville version and been done with it, and saved themselves a lot of time, effort, and money. :twocents:

I like the video, BTW. :reject:

This can be asked of any band these days, not just U2...

I've actually seen it twice in the morning whwn MTV shows videos...

Seems like it's worth your time if the thing goes viral and gets new people thinking about your band. But that doesn't always mean money. Hence the gimmicky, quirky youtube-ready videos. Think of those dancey OK Go videos with a billion views. Those certainly boosted the band's concert attendance - at least for 15 minutes.

U2 has certainly tried their hand at novelty videos over the last ten years, but it seems like they usually throw their money at the problem with pretty mediocre results.

But, yeah, it seems like a waste of resources to produce the standard clip that only the party faithful will seek out. Definitely a far cry from the heyday of MTV blockbusters.

It's just okay. I like the Boots vid better. It's a cool idea with the sheets being pulled up off the city, but that's pretty much all there is to look at.

Back
Top Bottom