LP13 - It all comes down to this...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Maybe I am just forcing myself to be optimistic, but I get a feeling that the new album will be a good 'un. I just watched the video for vertigo, and it just reminded me what a difference a strong first single can make. Regardless of the ipod tie in, its a song that immediately grabs your attention. I mean, its one of those songs so immediately catchy that if I heard it in a mall somewhere I would be scrambling to open shazam on my phone. And HTDAAB (the U2 album I like least) really flowed on the strength of that initial momentum.

With NLOTH (an album I thought was much better even with the middle 3), I think U2 overestimated the cache they had garnered with HTDAAB. It wasnt just about the choice of first single, but the mostly intense and 'inaccessible' tone of the whole album (which is fine by me, but probably not for people who were not already U2 fans). There was a time when U2 were mainstream enough that even non-fans would check their stuff out and like it. I think that would still have been possible in 2009 if HTDAAB was a truly great album, instead of riding on the coattails of a strong single.

That is why I am optimistic, U2 are a band that seems to learn and adapt very well. And there will be the group who says 'forget relevance', but that completely ignores their motivation, for better or worse. And I feel u2 are at their best when being accessible (does not necessarily mean dumbing down sound), because to them it seems to mean being part of the musical conversation or the zeitgeist, as Bono said about achtung. I think they have enough skill and knowhow to take modern sounds and adapt it to their own music in a way that is accessible.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using U2 Interference mobile app

I played bass on Big Girls Are Best.

Nevermind the trolling and fantastical tales of pure bullshit...for this - for this! - you deserve the gallows

tumblr_lgpfc1DfU01qeweuno1_500.jpg

PS GFY

See, you should have taken it slower - milked it and had some people believe the name for a bit. You went too hard too early and it stopped being funny before it started

Agreed. I suppose it was only a matter of time before someone (probably a current poster) came on here and registered with the name "Fisher". I just wish it would have been someone with a modicum of talent.

Amateur hour. This is kind of like a bad U2 cover band.

(sigh)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom