Lights of Home

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Album only because the strings version has no breathing room. No interplay. The strings are just slapped on top of the song as opposed to in the mix.

What statue of a gold guitar is Bono talking about?

I'm curious about that as well.

I thought for a minute that his bike accident, being in Central Park (?), left him lying in front of one of the many gold or bronze looking statues lying around. Or something to do with the Rock n Roll hall of fame, some sort gold guitar retirement trophy, or the Hard Rock Cafe.. didn't really come up with anything.

This is the song that has really shot up the rankings for me. Both the message and structure of the song. I love the restraint from holding back from a big anthemic chorus as well. You can just sense the raw emotion. Nothing is forced.

This is the song that has really shot up the rankings for me. Both the message and structure of the song. I love the restraint from holding back from a big anthemic chorus as well. You can just sense the raw emotion. Nothing is forced.

:up:

I'm curious about that as well.

I thought for a minute that his bike accident, being in Central Park (?), left him lying in front of one of the many gold or bronze looking statues lying around. Or something to do with the Rock n Roll hall of fame, some sort gold guitar retirement trophy, or the Hard Rock Cafe.. didn't really come up with anything.

Maybe there really is a Rock ‘n Roll Heaven and they have one at the gates. :lol:

:ohmy:

It does flow.

Two things come to mind - the start of Pearl Jam's Ten, where the meandering master/slave is interrupted by Once, and in U2 world, Ode To Joy into Zoo Station.

I do agree that the 1st and 13th tracks act as a defacto introduction and epilogue, and no, not every song would work after Love Is All We Have Left. This one does, because of just how jarring the entrance is, and the theme of the song.

Agreed. I just redid my SOE tracklisting and I can’t separate these two songs. Love is All with the imagery of Bono laying in a near death type state, looking down on himself and the other 7 billion stars inhabiting the earth from above. His body wanting to stay but in this world “ but you knew better”

Then into Lights of Home - “shouldn’t be here, cause I should be dead - I can see the lights in front of me... “
it just works as a pairing.

Here is the track listing I came up with, and it flows
nicely IMO.

1. Love is All
2. Lights of Home (St. Peters String)
3. The Blackout
4. Get Out
5. American Soul
6. Summer of Love
7. Love is Bigger
8. You’re the best Thing
9. Red Flag Day
10. Book of Your Heart
11. Landlady
12. Little Things
13. 13

What makes it great is that "the lights in front of me" could be so many different things, and I absolutely think this was on purpose.

They could be...

-police/ambulance sirens
-operating table
-"the light" people claim to see during near death experiences
-heaven
-Ali's eyes
-Iris's eyes

I also had thought that getting a good whack to the head sends a splash of light to your eyes as well.

The song vacillates between just saying 'lights in front of me' and 'lights of home'. They're not necessarily the same thing. I hear both a sort of warmth and yearning - lights of a house, or lights of heaven, or light at the end of a tunnel - and a sort of fear, a danger - lights of the ambulance, the hospital, the near death experience, the shot to the head.

"One more push" also splits the meaning too - like he's a cat who's on his last life, and one more shot and he'll be in heaven. Or one more push of a mother to birth her child 'into the light of home'.

That's why this song perfectly follows Love is All We Have Left, where he sings, "A baby cries on the doorstep".

It does flow.

Two things come to mind - the start of Pearl Jam's Ten, where the meandering master/slave is interrupted by Once, and in U2 world, Ode To Joy into Zoo Station.

I do agree that the 1st and 13th tracks act as a defacto introduction and epilogue, and no, not every song would work after Love Is All We Have Left. This one does, because of just how jarring the entrance is, and the theme of the song.

:up::up::up::up:

The new songs were the best performances at the BBC!

I agree Lights is among the all time great U2 songs. My baby was born 3 weeks ago and it has become a really meaningful soundtrack to the experience for me.

Lights of Home with strings is so good. Why is this band incapable of putting the good version of songs on albums.

agreed. it totally changes the whole front end of the album for me. What great change in the tracklisting to put the string version in.

Why you ask? Remember - this is the same band that released Boots and Miracle as first singles, keep pushing American Soul, played AS and Get out on SNL, put yet one more remix of Ordinary Love on this album, left Book of Your Heart off SOE and left Crystal Ballroom off SOI... The list goes on...

baffling stuff.

I don't know if anybody brought this up. I haven't skimmed the thread. But the intro to this song instantly reminded me of Soundgarden for whatever goddamn reason. Music can create funny associations sometimes. Great song anyway. One of the best on the album!

Adam's bass during the second verse. :ohmy: :drool:
It's like The Bass of Doom
Bono's acidic delivery when he's questioning Jesus in the first verse is one of the highlights of the album.
Yeah, that was/is amazing, so raw! He said (liner notes) he had to fight to get his faith back to the level he'd had since childhood.

I think the ending is the best part, for a few reasons. One- the chord sequence is probably the most exciting on the album - the chord change on the "if only YOU could..." is the biggest goosebumps moment for me on the entire record. Two - Bono melts into the choir. The background voices take over. Three - Edge makes some weird NIN-sounding industrial elephant noises on his guitar (or maybe it's a synth). Anyway, it sounds intense. Finally, it sounds Hey Jude-y (Judy?) in a good way.…........
THIS

It's such intense, sublime song, and that chorus is like coming out of a storm in a plane and breaking into sunlight, clear sky above. But that chord change (I heard/felt it immediately) - was like transcendence. So many of you have pointed out such great things about this amazing song. :up:

Oh, yes, Album for me. And I think the Strings version is excellent. Makes it into an urgent "movie score" experience for me.

Last edited:
It's like The Bass of Doom

Yeah, that was/is amazing, so raw! He said (liner notes) he had to fight to get his faith back to the level he'd had since childhood.

THIS

It's such intense, sublime song, and that chorus is like coming out of a storm in a plane and breaking into sunlight, clear sky above. But that chord change (I heard/felt it immediately) - was like transcendence. So many of you have pointed out such great things about this amazing song. :up:

...and this is why it really doesn't belong in the #2 slot. This kind of moment has much more power at the album's conclusion.

Holy shit, I finally got around to hearing the BBC version. THAT was awesome.

I'm torn between the two versions on the album. I love the strings version because as someone said earlier it adds menace. However sometimes I get the Transiberian Railroad Christmas sound in my head and it just annoys me. The other version is is lighter but isn't a moving force.

Thematically it works after Love Is All We Have Left, but the vibe set from track 1 is lovely sets me in a mood for more of that or a progression of that. I'm floating through the stars in space and suddenly I'm walking a desert trail in Arizona. It's like putting Trip Through Your Wires after Zooropa.

Both versions of the song are tremendous!:drool: However, after almost two months of listens, the strings version is my favorite. It adds a dramatic tension that is a welcome addition. The Haim riff is very good, but it cannot beat real strings. However, I believe U2 chose the album version because they knew they would play this song every night on tour and did not have any intentions of bringing along an orchestra every night. My custom album playlist will include the strings version of Lights of Home as well as the single version of Get Out minus Kendrick's sermon.

Both versions of the song are tremendous!:drool: However, after almost two months of listens, the strings version is my favorite. It adds a dramatic tension that is a welcome addition. The Haim riff is very good, but it cannot beat real strings.

I’m with you: Strings version>>Album Version

Though I love both versions, I feel like the original version is better. I love that piano during the chorus.

The more time I have with the album, the more I find myself putting the strings version in the #2 slot. It's not that I don't like the final album cut, it just lacks the drama and the menace of the strings version. For a song about such a dramatic experience, an acoustic guitar riff just doesn't cut it for me and it really kills the atmosphere coming out of Love is All We Have Left. As another poster said, it's like hearing Trip Through Your Wires after Zooropa.

Back
Top Bottom