Letterman Thursday - Beautiful Day Performance (3/5/09)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
As I noted in the other thread:

When Bono motioned, and the whole crowd jumped out of their seats like the place was on fire...
:ohmy:

When Bono hit the high notes at "Touch me...." it was like a shock wave went through the whole place... great stuff. His voice is strong.

Cool performance, but I'm still a little miffed that they did an old song during a week of promotions. I wanted to hear new material!

My brother in law was there. He called and said it was awesome. Unfortunately, the woman sitting next to him farted at the beginning of the song and it ruined the first minute or so for him.

It was cool for them to try something new with a song from about 10 years ago

subtle changes to test before the big show

What was new? The changes you mention must have been so subtle I failed to notice them! A good performance in itself, and the audience was obviously into it, but it seemed a pretty standard BD rendition (and Bono has been ad-libbing other songs toward the end of BD for ages, so that wasn't particularly new). Again, nothing to complain about as far as the performance itself goes, but it was hardly "something new."

What was new? The changes you mention must have been so subtle I failed to notice them! A good performance in itself, and the audience was obviously into it, but it seemed a pretty standard BD rendition (and Bono has been ad-libbing other songs toward the end of BD for ages, so that wasn't particularly new). Again, nothing to complain about as far as the performance itself goes, but it was hardly "something new."

to me I noticed a bit more fuzz in Edge's guitar, akin to the guitar strums in NLOTH, a little less tinny from other performances I've heard

maybe I was hearing things though or my TV speakers are going

That was fun!..I enjoyed it..I love Beautiful Day for sentimental reasons...they did another awesome job:up::applaud:..the interview was funny too even my boyfriend was amused and hes not even a fan of U2..:up::applaud:

That was awesome! The best live performance of that song I've ever seen/heard.

subnet, I agree that there was something different about it, but I'm not sure what, exactly. I'd have to listen to it again.

The audience looked like they were so excited and into it!

A couple of other things - was the audience so close to the stage all week? I thought they were farther back, and that maybe they brought extra seats in for tonight.

Also, I read in another thread where someone said that Bono was possibly sick. I was thinking that maybe they'd planned to do NLOTH :drool: but he felt he couldn't because of his voice. I need to go read more of the gathering threads, I've been avoiding them so I wouldn't get spoiled for what they played the past two nights.

BD kicked ass!!! Great song! Very important to me since it was only fitting that my daughter had to be born on its world broadcast premier Aug.31/00 (nearly 2 months early!). :D

Okay, that was pretty amazing.

Bono's holding the notes pretty well, although he's not pushing as far as he did on 5th leg Vertigo - I remember him holding the 'touch' note in Beautiful Day for that and the next line of the chorus!

That was one of the best performances of Beautiful Day that I think I maybe have ever seen. I was bummed when I heard they were performing it, but I'm so glad they did. Edge's guitar was sick in that and Bono's voice: Wow!

I read in another thread where someone said that Bono was possibly sick. I was thinking that maybe they'd planned to do NLOTH :drool: but he felt he couldn't because of his voice. I need to go read more of the gathering threads, I've been avoiding them so I wouldn't get spoiled for what they played the past two nights.

Didn't find the original post, but someone else mentioned it:

the one security guard by us said bono wasn't feeling too well which is why he left early.

Does anyone know the second song they played? Dave did say they were doing a second one for the audience, right?

his voice his really incredible...:drool:
the sound is also very good and the microphone has a lot of retro, I think it improves the voice as well (please correct me if it's wrong).

Great performance, but please play the new stuff...:drool:

Back
Top Bottom